Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

If it's not a big deal then why do it at all huh
is this a real question because come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

somber is bloodhounding, it's a good thing

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dy. posted:

it's a simple question

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

It is a mystery. Even a mystery, role.

I mean at this point just claim a result or something, I want steak to flip and all the wink wink nudge nudge stuff isn't going to convince me.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

.random posted:

You could vote Steak and start the revolution. Be the change you want to see, dy.

bad bad post here. this is egging on a lunch from the sidelines that you've expressed NO interest in before

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think somber is scum for voting me. he just hasnt read the thread.

similarly, sandwolf is too tunnel vision to understand my actions.

other people voting me (ie dy) look really bad

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

it's a simple question
Hal is a player who I think could be scum but is known for playing in the background even as a town. It's a hard meta to cut through. Rather than just dismissing any possibility of them being scum by going "lol passive Hal" (sup Toalpaz you are prob scum for that) I would prefer to apply a little pressure, get more content, and be in a better spot to judge alignment. I don't really love having to give away this strategy to Hal, and honestly I feel like you should be able to figure this out without me having to explain it.

I don't generally think of it being a big deal to put down a single vote on someone who has no other votes and isn't offering a lot either.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Mr. Steak posted:

bad bad post here. this is egging on a lunch from the sidelines that you've expressed NO interest in before

It's a good thing to have people vote on record. This seems to be less about puppet mastering a lunch but seeing what the voter believes in.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##vote dy

effort later. vote now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

##unvote

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

yo why are you unvoting

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

yo why are you unvoting

Because i'm going to go sleep and people get stroppy about votes so i'd rather not sit with a joke vote on somber

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dy. posted:

Hal is a player who I think could be scum but is known for playing in the background even as a town. It's a hard meta to cut through. Rather than just dismissing any possibility of them being scum by going "lol passive Hal" (sup Toalpaz you are prob scum for that) I would prefer to apply a little pressure, get more content, and be in a better spot to judge alignment. I don't really love having to give away this strategy to Hal, and honestly I feel like you should be able to figure this out without me having to explain it.

I don't generally think of it being a big deal to put down a single vote on someone who has no other votes and isn't offering a lot either.

Okay but you're using your vote in this instance to do something other than flip the candidate you think is most likely to be scum. I obviously understand the argument that you're trying to apply pressure in order to illicit a response from hal but it's so transparently a token effort that I'm not sure what you stand to gain from it.

if you were scum it would be a good play to climb down from steak if you knew he was going to flip town with a go-nowhere busywork case like Hal's. I'm asking questions to try and understand your thought process better.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Steak posted:

i dont think somber is scum for voting me. he just hasnt read the thread.

similarly, sandwolf is too tunnel vision to understand my actions.

other people voting me (ie dy) look really bad

Even if I had read the thread it's not like you posted content so nyah

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ilmucche posted:

Because i'm going to go sleep and people get stroppy about votes so i'd rather not sit with a joke vote on somber

Coward

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

##vote somber

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Okay but you're using your vote in this instance to do something other than flip the candidate you think is most likely to be scum. I obviously understand the argument that you're trying to apply pressure in order to illicit a response from hal but it's so transparently a token effort that I'm not sure what you stand to gain from it.

if you were scum it would be a good play to climb down from steak if you knew he was going to flip town with a go-nowhere busywork case like Hal's. I'm asking questions to try and understand your thought process better.
Kinda, but I think your understanding it still a little off. Hal is definitely not my #1 target today (Steak is), I am suspicious but still trying to figure him out. I don't think there is anything wrong with voting someone besides your #1 early in the day.

I get it though. Maybe I'm not as subtle as I think.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Somberbrero posted:

I mean at this point just claim a result or something, I want steak to flip and all the wink wink nudge nudge stuff isn't going to convince me.

No.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Okay.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

CCKeane posted:

It is a mystery. Even a mystery, role.
Only going here because you opened the door, but can you clarify if you have or do not have any role-based information that makes you not want to execute Mr Steak? You don't have to say what it is.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dy. posted:

Only going here because you opened the door, but can you clarify if you have or do not have any role-based information that makes you not want to execute Mr Steak? You don't have to say what it is.

he already claimed this

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CCKeane posted:

My role is role looker and I looked at Steaks role and it just says the word "butts" over and over. Possible farter?

.random
May 7, 2007

I’m not especially interested in a steak lynch tbh, but it was a post I enjoyed making and I think it’s usually helpful to have people vote rather than just say “hmm, I’d vote if there were more momentum” (which is exactly how scum like to play but less how they like to post. So I guess a couple town points for dy. for actually posting it and not overthinking “this sounds very scummy).

You (Steak) don’t seem to be helping town (yet?!!) - much like Solus wasn’t - and yet I think you might actually be town - much like Solus was. This is a gut read (not supported by basically anything I can point to in your posting history). This will be an unfortunate game if all the people who are town are being decidedly unhelpful to town.

That said, the people voting you are people I happen to currently think at least “lean town” which feels better than was the situation with Solus. At the moment I’m happier with my vote on ilmucche, maybe SNG or Keane.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

dy. posted:

No, I wanted to annoy Somber with a merry jape.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

.random posted:

Lol. Ok,

##vote: ilmucche

For not doing much but posting about useless game setup specs that are sometimes totally incorrect, and for this super good way to subtly shade me as probably scum because I’m still alive.

Can you expand on your case?

.random
May 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

lol this is going to gently caress with that party person

ilmucche posted:

so solus' play doesn't look great to me, but i also understand the draw of rando shooting someone. It reminds me of cpig shooting grandicap in chaos, and cpig was 3p vig or serial killer or whatever.

i'm very curious about the charging vigilante role, seems like something someone would've definitely jumped on. maybe someone is charging up a spirit bomb

ilmucche posted:

Lol did anyone take this because votefinder is keeping pace with sal

ilmucche posted:

So steak is effectively protected from this.

Or maybe wanted to steal the vig?

ilmucche posted:

everyone picked 2 numbers, low single chosen number goes first. in case of a tie low second number goes first. I chose the double bad chinese number and went dead last in round 1 of the ensuing snake draft.

but all the available roles are there in the OPs! that's cool. also, we lunched P3 and scum killed P5 so I do find it a bit weird that they went high numbers as they're likely to have the best power roles? Or at least random, who had their choice of anything they want, is still here.

Might have missed one or two but above are the ilmucche “let’s speculate about set up but not in very helpful ways” posts.

This feels like filler masquerading as content to me. The rest of the posts are fairly low content imo too (arguably aside from the stream of consciousness post), but these look like they might be content and aren’t, which is a cool thing for scum to do.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

##vote dy

I'm just getting frustrated with dy's chicanery at this point

dy's one big case is steak, right? so then dy wards sandwolf off when sandwolf tries to question steak, then goes back to passively going "steak is scum, I can't believe we're letting him get away with this!", then goes "goodness I could never vote steak unless someone else does first", then complains that he isn't being given the benefit of the doubt, which is what he "gave steak" back in that moment where he decided that his one big massive scumpick shouldn't be pressed for information at all, and then even more has happened since I started drafting this post, there's toal shade for some reason, I just, I don't even know what dy would consider an acceptable reaction to someone being scummy. Don't ask them questions because they might be town, but also definitely vote them because they're definitely scum, but only do it if you're gathering up a group for a push because heaven forfend any individual including dy put pressure on the person dy thinks is the scummiest

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

.random posted:

Might have missed one or two but above are the ilmucche “let’s speculate about set up but not in very helpful ways” posts.

This feels like filler masquerading as content to me. The rest of the posts are fairly low content imo too (arguably aside from the stream of consciousness post), but these look like they might be content and aren’t, which is a cool thing for scum to do.

Alright yeah I like this.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
WE

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Votecount for Day 2

dy. (3): Toalpaz, Mr. Steak, AT-LOW
ilmucche (3): CCKeane, Grandicap, .random
Mr. Steak (3): Sandwolf, Sandwolf, Somberbrero, Sandwolf, dy.
ObamaAkbar. (1): Mr. Steak, Sandwolf, sandnavyguy, Sandwolf, Mr. Steak
sandnavyguy (1): ObamaAkbar.
Somberbrero (1): ilmucche, ilmucche, ilmucche
Hal Insandenza (0): dy., dy.
CCKeane (0): Toalpaz, Toalpaz
Toalpaz (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
Sandwolf (0): sandnavyguy, sandnavyguy

Not Voting (3): Hal Insandenza, merk, Philip J. Fry

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 13th, 2021 at 6 p.m. PDT -- that's in about 1 day, 1 hour.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

AT-LOW posted:

##vote dy

dy's one big case is steak, right? so then dy wards sandwolf off when sandwolf tries to question steak, then goes back to passively going "steak is scum, I can't believe we're letting him get away with this!", then goes "goodness I could never vote steak unless someone else does first", then complains that he isn't being given the benefit of the doubt, which is what he "gave steak" back in that moment where he decided that his one big massive scumpick shouldn't be pressed for information at all, and then even more has happened since I started drafting this post, there's toal shade for some reason, I just, I don't even know what dy would consider an acceptable reaction to someone being scummy. Don't ask them questions because they might be town, but also definitely vote them because they're definitely scum, but only do it if you're gathering up a group for a push because heaven forfend any individual including dy put pressure on the person dy thinks is the scummiest
Mafia is a nuanced and complex game. I'm trying not to overly OMGUS you here but it's scummy that you're pretending like it isn't. I'm allowed to at the same time believe Steak is scum but still think it's a bad idea to press him on role information in case he's not.

It would be very easy for me to spend the entire game just voting Steak and talking about Steak but I don't think that would be the best way to play it and also now I am hungry.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

AT-LOW posted:

##vote dy

The other two dy votes make no sense. Looking into this one.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

dy. posted:

merk are you really busy or something? Unrelated to The Thing You Will Do, I feel like you've really been laying uncharacteristically low.

I have UNFORTUNATELY decided to sign up for Something Awful Survivor, and let me tell you how much time it takes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

dy. posted:

I voted Solus because he shot off his vig, and then stopped playing the game until forced to. The part where he stopped playing happened after the first post, so yes, it is in fact a shifting opinion because reality shifted.

You are really not giving me the benefit of the doubt here.

Stop defending what you did yesterday. Find scum instead. This type of stuff looks scummy more often than not, at least to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

dy. posted:

So re: hammertime. This happened in very short order:

Steak supposedly has :airquote: reasons for the hammer, so let's leave him out of this for now, his reasons I am less interested in anyway and I think his posting speaks for itself.

merk I guess has a bit of a history to support the Solus vote. Was that just you jumping off of Keane to avoid a no-execution? Why didn't you try harder to get people to swing to Keane?

Hal - the only mention I see of Solus from you is a post where you are defending his shot. What's the deal? Can you explain the mentality behind your switch?

(lol at my hypocrisy right here)

I was bouncing around with limited time trying to get people to make some more committed votes for analysis later. I didn't get many bites, so I resigned to an elimination that seemed OK.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

dy. posted:

General scum reads:

- Mr Steak is just... all over the place. His posts are mostly about what he's thinking at the time and don't show any legitimate effort to find scum or ask questions or much of anything. His posting seems generally anxious and forced. Gut pings all over.

Is this your Steak case? If not, point me to it please?

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Hey I'm here. Who missed me? Who thinks I'm scum for lurking hardcore? Lets get this poo poo out of the way right quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
dy, you have four pages of posts and your Steak case from what I can tell is 'dude is acting wyld.'

That's not a case. How is this your best vote?

I picked dy for analysis first because my gut thinking in the thread is that he is taking a town leader role here. His best vote is something that seems like the lowest hanging fruit even afk merk would find something better while on his phone from the hot tub with wine in his hand.

##vote dy