Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fister Roboto posted:

From the reddit thread:

:allears:

DDDOUBLEPOST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgiC8YfytDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

From the reddit thread:

:allears:

Paris Commune challenge

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MinistryofLard posted:

I am so hype for this. The kind of tending your national garden gameplay is exactly what I love about Vicky and what they're describing is making me really optimistic about it.

One of the things I like to do is boot up Vicky1 and compete with myself to see how powerful I can make Uruguay without conquering (just a bit of war to colonise for the prestige and trade for more claims) so I absolutely love the idea.

One of the things that I really hope they keep is the, idk, dynamism of V2? It was cool to see the way governments will pivot over time. I'm listening to the Revolutions podcast now and one of the things I've realised is tha

Great podcast but now I really want to know what you were going to say

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’ve been waiting patiently for this for a long time. I can’t wait to build the german empire and win WW1

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I’ve been waiting patiently for this for a long time. I can’t wait to build the german empire and win WW1

This unironically

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i suppose before vicky2 becomes obsolete i should try forming mega-franco-germany-austria as luxembourg

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Victoria 2 never fully clicked for me (or Paradox apparently?) but the expansion Wiz put out right after joining the company made it playable and a lot more interesting. Very excited to buy this and stare at maps!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

it was a final secret patch, not the full expansion, but it was a ton of QoL improvements outta the blue that ruled

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

AnEdgelord posted:

Great podcast but now I really want to know what you were going to say

Haha I did finish it but the way 1830 and 1848 worked out is kind of modelled through the rebel mechanics.

The dream for me is that V3 can model mass movement regime change, both successful (1830 and 1848 in France) and unsuccessful (1848 in Austria), persistent civil wars (Russia), and separatist Nationalist movements (Hungary, the Balkans) all coming from internal factors and actually feeling dynamic and allowing different outcomes from game to game.

I'd hate if Revolutions in the late game never happened because all of Europe ganged up on them every time it happened. The revolutionary war in EU4 always feels like something for the player more than a thing to deal with.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just hope that I never have to deal with never ending rebel whack a mole that ruined my carefully organized army stacks out of the blue that happens even in democratic nations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wonder if nations will have stuff to differentiate them from each other like national ideas in Europa.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder if nations will have stuff to differentiate them from each other like national ideas in Europa.

Flags

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Cantorsdust posted:

Semi-crossposting from the Paradox thread, but I'm extremely excited for this and especially excited that Wiz is heading this up and seems to know what makes Victoria so special as a series. Count me in as an instant preorder despite never preordering anything.

Same, i saw his name attached and suddenly my hype grew three sizes this day

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I got onto the Paradox train after V2 but have heard some poo poo, yo. What years did V2 cover? The rough time period is like... probably the time period I'm most interested in. The "running a society as a garden simulation" is well, one of the pleasures I still get out of my various CK and Stellaris runs.

Look, I'll be buying this day 1. I don't have any preconceived ideas about what a Victoria game is so I'm pretty much just happy. They could release CK3 with different outfits and I'd probably be pleased. But if they stick to their stated design principles this could be one of my favorite Paradox games, the one in line with the way I end up playing/enjoying most of their other games.

edit:

that reddit post from ign or whatever posted:

Capitalists work completely differently from Vicky 2. Capitalism isn't "Let The AI Do It Mode." Instead, Capitalists (and sometimes Aristocrats depending on your laws) invest profits from buildings they own into a new resource pool separate from state funds called the Investment Pool, which you can only spend on certain things based on your laws and economic system. So you are still personally directing the expansion of industry in a capitalist economy, with some restrictions.

never mind, looks like Paradox isn't serious about their economic simulation at all. Capitalists choosing to invest profits into the wider society? loving ludicrous

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 22, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vicky 2 is 1836 to 1936. Vicky 3 will probably be similar.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

When year does EU4 end at the moment? Probably then.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Already confirmed to be 1836 to 1936

It will be 4 ticks per day though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arbite posted:

When year does EU4 end at the moment? Probably then.

1821 (death of Napoleon) so there’s a 15 year gap.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

never mind, looks like Paradox isn't serious about their economic simulation at all. Capitalists choosing to invest profits into the wider society? loving ludicrous

governments of that era were somewhat more effective at extracting surplus from capitalists than many modern governments, and when things like railroads were both "good for wider society" and extremely profitable, they were indeed the target of tons of investment. one of the strangest thing about the 1800s is witnessing capitalism in its semi-functional, tightly controlled early state rather than the decrepit shambling corpse we're all used to

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's also just a game mechanic I think. To solve the problem of capitalist ai building stupid poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

It's also just a game mechanic I think. To solve the problem of capitalist ai building stupid poo poo

Wasting capital on stupid poo poo however is extremely realistic.

To a point anyway

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fired up Victoria 2 for old times' sake because of this announcement and got Greece to her modern borders in 20 years using the crisis system. The only speed bump was the first crisis when Britain + Prussia backed the Ottomans (despite me being in the British sphere :argh:) but France, Russia, and Austria pulled through for me.

Then I realized I was in the 1850s and absolutely nothing happened in 1848 which was a shame, especially since monarch lives are hardcoded AFAIK (the newspaper mentioned Ferdinand I coming to the throne of Austria but I don't remember seeing anything about him stepping down?).

hobbesmaster posted:

March of the Eagles II confirmed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Digital Osmosis posted:

This sounds more like the government going "Hey dude, if you invest in a Trans-Caucasian railway then you're gonna be rolling in cash in a few years when we take over Persia". It's the state and capital being in a symbiotic relationship, not capitalism working towards the good of the wider society.

Jazerus posted:

governments of that era were somewhat more effective at extracting surplus from capitalists than many modern governments, and when things like railroads were both "good for wider society" and extremely profitable, they were indeed the target of tons of investment. one of the strangest thing about the 1800s is witnessing capitalism in its semi-functional, tightly controlled early state rather than the decrepit shambling corpse we're all used to
Modern capitalism is literally just the resurgence of the capitalism that reigned supreme for most of the period covered by Victoria, just under material conditions where they're less likely to accidentally create improvements.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Man I so hyped for Cement Surplus Simulator 3!

Really hope they pull it off because an economic development simulator is my dream gamer and Vicky 2 never quite managed to pull it off (mostly because of the incredibly frustrating political system)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hope they steer away from hardcoded stuff like national ideas / focuses and instead make the difference based on the material conditions of each state. The starting institutions, pops and various government and social modifiers you have sounds like it should make for a decent amount of variety.

That Reddit post mentioned that pops have individual traits based on culture so that might be an interesting way to add in some more differences too.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the way capitalists work seems like a good compromise between having player control over internal development and the AI building 5,000 clipper factories in 1900

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i think..it was a joke.. and not a sincere criticism..

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I never figured out how to play Vicky 2.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I signed up for the mailing list to get a special blimp or whatever, and it's listed like this on the account settings screen:

I wonder how long it's been there, or if someone had to set it up in advance and kept getting the runaround for what the new thing was supposed to be and just said "screw it, New Project"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

March of the Eagles 2 when?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, there was plenty of state industries even in ostensibly liberal capitalist governments at the time so I think it's a good choice to not have liberal capitalism be the "AI delegation" thing. The way management of companies runs differently based on ownership is very good, anyway.

Also, the granular political model rather than the weird HOI style polar system really captures the politics of the early part of the game much better than trying to fit Bonapartists vs Orleansists into "liberal vs conservative".

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

karmicknight posted:

March of the Eagles 2 when?

many people are asking

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ItohRespectArmy posted:

many people are asking

There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

There is no information yet of what this investment pool will buy, it might very well be that 90 % is spent on luxury goods.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

There is no information yet of what this investment pool will buy, it might very well be that 90 % is spent on luxury goods.

Luxury goods like wooden pleasure ships.

And the factories to produce them.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

"Help I need to buy steel mills and railroads but all my money is in an investment pool and capitalists only want to build wineries and clipper factories."

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 22, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The best way to get that stuff in 1880 is to run a railroad fiefdom. This system is way better.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Day 1 mod to change all instances of factory to factroy

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
They'd better keep that obnoxiously loud factory construction noise or I'm cancelling my pre-order. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vichan posted:

They'd better keep that obnoxiously loud factory construction noise or I'm cancelling my pre-order. :colbert:
The volume goes up with factory level.