Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

oh no computer posted:

I'm currently in the process of switching from BT to Virgin mid-contract and it's a complete loving nightmare, wish I'd never bothered. I'm having to constantly go back and forth between them to get them to talk to each other and of course every time I mention to BT that I'm calling about a potential cancellation I have to sit through their "maybe we can do you a better deal" spiel (which they can't, as Virgin's 2nd-from-bottom tier internet is 3x faster than the fastest they do). I think I'm just gonna knock it on the head and wait for my BT contract to run out.

You shouldn't need to speak to BT at all. When I've changed ISP, I just sign up with a new one and they deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

it's Virgin trying to deal with it on my behalf which is causing the problems. BT's cancellation fee is outside Virgin's budget so they push the install date back to make it cheaper, they're meant to tell BT this but they dont. I call BT to make sure the cancellation date has changed which it hasn't, but BT won't take my word for it (their dumb-as-gently caress policy is that since Virgin put the order in only they can cancel it, not I the loving account holder) so I have to chase Virgin up to do this, then check back with BT to ensure that they have and to find out what the new fee is, then call Virgin again to communicate this back to them, only to be told that the new fee is still over budget and they need to push the date back again, restarting the whole procedure

it's almost as if they're making the leaving procedure as hard as possible to dissuade people from doing it!!!!!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

virgin medias support system is absolute dogshit

it took them 3 months to give me the discount they promised when i signed up in december because the lower tier people kept passing on the request to someone with the authority, who then didnt do it

eventually i found out it was because the billing department (who i had been calling) were not allowed to add the discount because the cancellation / moving house department had organised it

so i had a further two calls to cancellations, one where they promised to pass it on to their boss, one where they put me on hold and explained it to the boss, and then in late march i actually got put through to a scottish fella who did it over the phone

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think the customer service bit is intentionally unclear rather than incompetent, but I'm sure it has the capacity for both.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Virgin Media are awful. My set top box is ten years old and they keep promising to send me a new one when I renew my package, but they never do. Each time I'm tempted to leave, I look at the broadband speeds of the rivals and lose the will to do anything except take their ridiculous £5 off per month for 6 months offer to stay.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My internet's pretty good

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sky threatening to charge me £110 for a sky Q box if I didn’t return it when I was cancelling my service, because the box broke and they were going to charge me £110 for a new one because it was out of warranty, sure was a thing. I own the box or I don’t you duckers.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Looks like it’s loving Monday again eh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pissssssssss

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

oh no computer posted:

it's Virgin trying to deal with it on my behalf which is causing the problems. BT's cancellation fee is outside Virgin's budget so they push the install date back to make it cheaper, they're meant to tell BT this but they dont.

Why would Virgin and BT have to talk to each other, ever?

Virgin comes in through a Virgin cable, BT comes in through a phone line or a BT fibre line.

Just get your new connection and then cancel once it’s working...?

Lady Demelza posted:

Each time I'm tempted to leave, I look at the broadband speeds of the rivals and lose the will to do anything except take their ridiculous £5 off per month for 6 months offer to stay.

If you have full fibre BT available I don’t think there’s a big reason to stick on Virgin - download speeds above 50 mbps hardly make a difference, and BT upload speed is about 4x higher than Virgins best, which is far more noticeable for lots of stuff.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

After a certain point does internet speed really matter? Never noticed a problem with Internet speeds for like 10 years now. I guess it's nice to be able to download a total war in 4 hours instead of like 6

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

With lots of people sharing the connection having a high speed helps. I went from about 10Mb on the old FTTC connection to 500 when Virgin rolled out here lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdrgjjsHsM

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

After a certain point does internet speed really matter? Never noticed a problem with Internet speeds for like 10 years now. I guess it's nice to be able to download a total war in 4 hours instead of like 6
its nice that every time my ps4 updates a game, it takes less than a minute to download it and then spends about an hour crawling through the 'copying' stage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its nice being able to download and play a brand new game in like 2 hours vs waiting all day

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have gigabit symmetric, i.e. 1000mbit upload and 1000mbit download speeds.

Neither downloads nor uploads take any meaningful amount of time any more. Everything is instant, or near enough that it does not matter. This includes 50gig games like Doom Eternal etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bozza has a hell of a day ahead o fhim

https://twitter.com/DavidHorne/status/1396780864873369604?s=20

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Poor cow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol someone stole a bunch of jewels from a castle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57224777.amp

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I used to set big games downloading while I was out at work but covid hosed that, I had to do it overnight (usually over multiple nights)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cow splinter group calls up, claims responsibility. the attacks will continue until their demands are met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF4eTlCl660

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the cowntinuity IRA :dadjoke:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

it looks like a peen

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

crispix posted:

the cowntinuity IRA :dadjoke:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely cowntimooity

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NO you took it too far now :mad:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pea sized hail to the point it looks like it's been snowing. Noice, May.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

while her climate policy wasn't hugely successful i don't think it's fair to lay all the blame at her door

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

moo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

while her climate policy wasn't hugely successful i don't think it's fair to lay all the blame at her door

I can barely remember anything about her environmental policies tbh.

All that melting ice has cooled the house right down. Might have to put a jumper on.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Just got jabbed

Was sitting in the waiting area and the person directing people to seats looked familiar, then spotted their name tag. It was Laetitia Sadier of Stereolab. Briefly chatted to her asking if they were doing more gigs soon and where and some other small talk. Absolutely surreal

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

el dingo posted:

Just got jabbed

Was sitting in the waiting area and the person directing people to seats looked familiar, then spotted their name tag. It was Laetitia Sadier of Stereolab. Briefly chatted to her asking if they were doing more gigs soon and where and some other small talk. Absolutely surreal

i haven't had my jab yet but i hope it's joe talbot out of idles doing it

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

spent all of my Monday off work doing paperwork.

living the dream

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i had my jab saturday and am still feeling very sore and tired

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What's this weather like, eh guys?

Seriously: I had to switch my central heating on for an hour yesterday evening and it's nearly June what the gently caress.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

its getting nicer. im gonna do the south downs on thursday-friday i think if it stays dry for a few days.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Was craning my previously elusive blocks off a lorry in a thunder and hailstorm. Grim

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

How has the nationwide cement shortage affected you?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I'm glad I haven't got a large amount of rendering or pointing to do any time soon.
Getting dribs and drabs of different brand cement from many different pallets would ruin my life.
Laid a patio on Friday with a mixture of different brands and the muck was ranging from yellow to almost black.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I get my second jab on Friday and am hearing reports that the second AZ shot only gives you a sore arm but the other ones knock you for six. Which is nice (for the AZ crew)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
My second Pfizer left me a shivering feverish wreck so checks out