Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

InternetJunky posted:

MAN WHO CAN’T REMEMBER BITCOIN PASSWORD SAYS HE’S ‘MADE PEACE’ WITH $220M LOSS
https://kizafair.com/man-who-cant-remember-bitcoin-password-says-hes-made-peace-with-220m-loss/

A good currency.

Wait, the article says 18.5 million bitcoin are currently stranded or lost due to forgotten passwords and such (idk how accurate that is). Isn’t the maximum amount of bitcoin set at 21 million? Is there some way bitcoin that isn’t used after a certain time destroyed or is it only a matter of time before all bitcoin is lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

I've seen exactly one use case for blockchain that sort of makes sense.

Medical laboratory sample chain of custody tracking.

The story goes like this:
A. You (a clinical practice) want to be able to track the progress of a something like a biopsy as it goes from testing site to courrier to lab to results
B. You absolutely cannot under any circumstances publish individually identifiable medical information in any way, so the identifiable characteristics like sample IDs must be encrypted. Either that or kept entirely within one's own walls and directly sent to only stakeholders. At the very least this rules out a traditional database.
C. You want each stakeholder along the way to prove that they handled the correct sample and no other one. A chained encryption path where a unique private key is physically sent from stakeholder to stakeholder with the sample and combined with a public private key pair belonging to the org.
D. Finally the actual results have to be encrypted with a key only known to the lab and the clinic as a separate security measure.
E. No particular organizations along any given chain will be in every chain, ruling out any sort of centralized solution, except maybe an ad hoc one.

All that sort of seems to work as an actual use case for blockchain, but even so, the demand for standardized protocol across so many businesses makes it unlikely to happen.

How does that prove the correct sample was handed off in any way? Just because some poo poo is on a Blockchain doesn't mean the sample wasn't tampered with. This is a solution that doesn't actually solve any problem.

Also, the person transporting medical samples usually doesn't have access to the database with the results even in today's world!

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 25, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ikanreed posted:

B. You absolutely cannot under any circumstances publish individually identifiable medical information in any way, so the identifiable characteristics like sample IDs must be encrypted. Either that or kept entirely within one's own walls and directly sent to only stakeholders. At the very least this rules out a traditional database.
What? Why? Are you going to memorize the sample ID and swallow the paper it was written on? Why isn't an anonymous sample ID not good enough? What kind of identifiable info can you make if you created a random string like 3325dg2351vard for your sample ID? The key to deciphering the referents is kept within the provider's walls, isn't that sufficiently secure?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

kw0134 posted:

What? Why? Are you going to memorize the sample ID and swallow the paper it was written on? Why isn't an anonymous sample ID not good enough? What kind of identifiable info can you make if you created a random string like 3325dg2351vard for your sample ID? The key to deciphering the referents is kept within the provider's walls, isn't that sufficiently secure?

Legally speaking, an anonymous sample id is considered "at risk" for becoming identifiable when combined with date, time, or location information. It's okay to share within limited circumstances, such as medical research, that don't directly pertain to a patient's care, but should not be made public.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Doccykins posted:

great decentralised moneystore of value system in action

https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1396915801492439044

- And these pinky swears, my child, solved everything.

- but dad?

- EVERYTHING

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gemstone diamond chain of custody tracking.

A. The entire industry is controlled by a few extremely corrupt, extremely secretive companies that regularly do business with warlords, profit from human slavery, and ignore genocides on their doorstep.
B. For a long time they had a monopoly over shiny rocks but this is changing because we've finally figured out how to make a shiny rock in a lab.
C. The only hope that the evil companies have to continue existing is convincing people that lab-made rocks are somehow inferior, and part of that includes pretending to address the ethical concerns.
D. A blockchain of unforgeable crypto is a really great distraction to point at and say "look! look! this proves we aren't doing any of that evil poo poo!", while they continue to do just as much evil poo poo.
E. There's a sucker born every minute.

All that sort of seems to work as an actual use case for blockchain, because blockchain is an excellent source of handwavium to fool people with so they stop asking so many questions.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I like to imagine the Bitcoin Mining Council as Dwarves with Elon as Gandalf

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

smellmycheese posted:

I like to imagine the Bitcoin Mining Council as Dwarves with Elon as Gandalf

Ok but is this the soviet lord of the rings version

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964294

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ikanreed posted:

Legally speaking, an anonymous sample id is considered "at risk" for becoming identifiable when combined with date, time, or location information. It's okay to share within limited circumstances, such as medical research, that don't directly pertain to a patient's care, but should not be made public.
Then I'm not sure how you can get literally anything done. The sample has to be identified, that identity has be made visible to at least the persons handling it in any material way so it can be tracked. Moreover I'm still not seeing how a publicly available ledger like a blockchain makes this more secure since you have to call the sample something, and that something is trackable on said ledger (and if it can't then you've created a write once, never read database, because you've created a bunch of data not fit for the purpose.)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fame Douglas posted:

How does that prove the correct sample was handed off in any way? Just because some poo poo is on a Blockchain doesn't mean the sample wasn't tampered with. This is a solution that doesn't actually solve any problem.

Also, the person transporting medical samples usually doesn't have access to the database with the results even in today's world!

Encryption, nominally, should establish identity. That's just a technical idea and a key can be broken, stolen, or otherwise compromised, but there should be only one private key that produces information that can be decrypted by a given public key.

If you don't posses it, it shouldn't be possible to decrypt the blockchain record, add your tag and re-encrypt it.

You know how your browser complains if a website has an inaccurate certificate, that's the same idea in a different setting. Only the "real" website should be able to correctly encrypt the resulting pages.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

ikanreed posted:

Medical laboratory sample chain of custody tracking.

A. You (a clinical practice) want to be able to track the progress of a something like a biopsy as it goes from testing site to courrier to lab to results
C. You want each stakeholder along the way to prove that they handled the correct sample and no other one. A chained encryption path where a unique private key is physically sent from stakeholder to stakeholder with the sample and combined with a public private key pair belonging to the org.
D. Finally the actual results have to be encrypted with a key only known to the lab and the clinic as a separate security measure.
E. No particular organizations along any given chain will be in every chain, ruling out any sort of centralized solution, except maybe an ad hoc one.

All that sort of seems to work as an actual use case for blockchain, but even so, the demand for standardized protocol across so many businesses makes it unlikely to happen.

I write software for medical vendors including tamper resistant audit logs. Blockchain is absolutely a non starter here because if unencrypted PHI is accidentally written to it you can't remove it. That's bankruptcy for most vendors, it would never get past the planning stage.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

kw0134 posted:

Then I'm not sure how you can get literally anything done. The sample has to be identified, that identity has be made visible to at least the persons handling it in any material way so it can be tracked. Moreover I'm still not seeing how a publicly available ledger like a blockchain makes this more secure since you have to call the sample something, and that something is trackable on said ledger (and if it can't then you've created a write once, never read database, because you've created a bunch of data not fit for the purpose.)

You receive the sample id with the sample. No reason to know it before then. That plus retracing the steps of previous chain of custody using the attached keys and known public keys can recreate the history to the extent your organization needs it.

Your own record is an entirely new one encrypted both the with the attached key and yours.

Remember that the primary function here isn't reporting results, but proving chain of custody electronically. Reporting usually has its own channel of communication and doesn't need to involve middlemen.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Andy Dufresne posted:

I write software for medical vendors including tamper resistant audit logs. Blockchain is absolutely a non starter here because if unencrypted PHI is accidentally written to it you can't remove it. That's bankruptcy for most vendors, it would never get past the planning stage.

Did I gloss over this one. Yeah that part's a big deal.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Andy Dufresne posted:

I write software for medical vendors including tamper resistant audit logs. Blockchain is absolutely a non starter here because unencrypted PHI is accidentally written to it you can't remove it. That's bankruptcy for most vendors, it would never get past the planning stage.

This. The suggestion of blockchain for medical purpose shows an absolute lack of real world knowledge on how hospitals and other medical clinics operate

I also don’t see the reason to have a decentralized record when there’s clearly one coordinating organization (the clinic) and several other orgs taking care of a piece of the work. That’s just centrally pseudonymized ID number -> other orgs do their work and send it back -> coordinating clinic uses key list to match result to real world person.

Anonymous medical data doesn’t exist given access to enough circumstantial data and efforts to anonymize data shouldn’t make the actual work harder or research (on which the actual work is based) more difficult

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ikanreed posted:

Remember that the primary function here isn't reporting results, but proving chain of custody electronically.

How does the electronic chain of custody prove anything? If I'm the middleman in the chain of custody and I've been paid off, I can switch the hot russian olympic pee with regular pee and sign the blockchain. Exactly the same as if I was signing a piece of paper.

The work (transporting pee samples from the olympics to the lab) is completely divorced from the proof (signatures on paper or blockchain), therefore the fact that a blockchain can't be tampered with is completely useless. The piss is the important thing here.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Klyith posted:

The piss is the important thing here.

mods, please change the thread title to this.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ikanreed posted:

You receive the sample id with the sample. No reason to know it before then. That plus retracing the steps of previous chain of custody using the attached keys and known public keys can recreate the history to the extent your organization needs it.

Your own record is an entirely new one encrypted both the with the attached key and yours.

Remember that the primary function here isn't reporting results, but proving chain of custody electronically. Reporting usually has its own channel of communication and doesn't need to involve middlemen.
I don't think this actually answers my question about why the sample ID is "at risk" any more than any other method of identifying the sample, because if you assume a malevolent being of limitless guile and monitoring capabilities then nothing is a secret. "Please scan the QR code when you receive the sample" that sends it to the originating provider's database is no less secure than this nested sequence of cryptographically signed keys is.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Any potential application for a blockchain runs into the problem that essentially the only application in which a write-only system without any ability to clear out mistakes is acceptable is illegal activities where you don't give a poo poo if there's something bad in there.

At the very very least you need a way to clear out the bad data and store a record of it being cleared out, why, and who authorized it.

Blockchains as an immutable record are fundamentally incompatible with the rule of law. Blockchains which can be altered are fundamentally stupid.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ok but what if instead of a blockchain it was more of a ballchain?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mozi posted:

ok but what if instead of a blockchain it was more of a ballchain?

Wifecoin, am I right?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
take my bags, please

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

rotinaj posted:

You’re willing to say a lot

Too bad it’s dumb ohhhh

:iceburn:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

I’m still not understanding how bitcoin can persist if it can constantly lose coins due to lost passwords and wallets and has a maximum supply of 21 million coins.

Is there some way to increase the max?
I read there are “protocols” to increase the max but it sounds like made up garbage to hide the fact bitcoin will eventually disappear.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

CSM posted:

Why is he still trying instead of selling the thing for a million dollars.

Must be someone crazy enough to buy it.

Maybe he should sell it as an NFT

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best use case for blockchains? Oh I'd argue that it's definitely law enforcement.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Never forget Carl Mark Force IV. I laugh every time I remember that saga.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m still not understanding how bitcoin can persist if it can constantly lose coins due to lost passwords and wallets and has a maximum supply of 21 million coins.

I read there are “protocols” to increase the max but it sounds like made up garbage to hide the fact bitcoin will eventually disappear.

That's not really a problem because they are infinitely divisible. Imagine 18.9 million bitcoins are lost into the ether and the supply is down to 2.1 million. Nothing has changed, they are still worthless but the rubes will transact 0.0001 btc for their [whatever you actually might buy with crypto] instead of 0.001

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Green energy still costs resources to build and requires carbon emissions. Green energy could still be used for something productive instead of duplicating more and more of the same pointless work. If mining demand is such that additional energy capacity is provisioned we're still losing. The only time green energy is a selling point is if you have a hydro dam or your country overbuilt wind/solar/nuclear and there's lots of excess power that would otherwise go unused. Then you're effectively energy neutral.

When you get into hardware, space issues, or that most places do not have significant excess power it all falls apart instantly. It's pointless feel-good, achieve-nothing garbage.

If adding more nodes to the network increased its capacity or efficiency then there is some argument that green energy is good. But it doesn't. It does nothing except waste more resources. The network runs just as well when the entire network is a handful of $30 rpi as it does when the network costs hundreds of millions of dollars as it does today.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

If 90% of bitcoins are lost forever doesn't that make the market cap of bitcoin actually just ~70 billion instead of 700 billion shown on the trackers? And in that case, doesn't that mean that tether (which is close to 60 billion cap) is literally propping up 85% of bitcoin's "value" with absolutely nothing behind it?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

latinotwink1997 posted:

The Bitcoin protocol can be changed if enough people agree, it has happened multiple times before - and if the majority doesn't agree, but a significant enough minority, you get forks like Bitcoin Gold or Bitcoin Cash.

It's computer code running on computers programmed by humans, not the laws of physics.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

Zooko's triangle sounds like a fancy night club for clowns.

Zooko’s Pubic Triangle

Back when folks didn’t shave it all off

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I only understand about 15% of the words in this thread but I do occasionally pull up a website to see number go down and it gives me a hearty laugh. Good times, good times

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1397211727259918337

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

latinotwink1997 posted:

The last bitcoin is in captivity... the galaxy is at peace

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Funny, you sound more like a forklift operator.

My first job after medical school was driving a forklift for my brother and his lumber yard :homebrew: .

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

The Bitcoin protocol can be changed if enough people agree, it has happened multiple times before - and if the majority doesn't agree, but a significant enough minority, you get forks like Bitcoin Gold or Bitcoin Cash.

It's computer code running on computers programmed by humans, not the laws of physics.

I always had the impression it was made and sent out into the world in a way that no one really controlled it anymore, it just exists now. The idea of people mining bitcoin answering yes/no to some random poll of what to do to bitcoin seems odd especially since it sounds like currently that’s mostly the Chinese.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I hate to admit it, but maybe HDC is right on this one.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Klyith posted:

an excellent source of handwavium

That is a very clever turn of phrase. I literally saved it in a .txt and my paper notebook; it was that good!

No reason to post, just wanted you to know it is appreciated

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Timotheous Venture posted:

I only understand about 15% of the words in this thread but I do occasionally pull up a website to see number go down and it gives me a hearty laugh. Good times, good times

:same:

I have followed butts since close to they were invented and I understand the “tech” side pretty well. I still don’t understand the Lightning Network but it appears to be worse and more obtuse than Bitcoin. I cannot understand how it will do anything “Lightning” or “easier” for public users who are already able to pay bills and buy poo poo in two seconds on Amazon.

Edit Sorry for 3x shitposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm still holding out for Sissy Hypno coin.