Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

Miguel Prado posted:

I know Guy Haleys latest offering will disappoint me but I also know I will buy it, I think I have a problem

It’s like heroin without all the constipation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lawdog69 posted:

It’s like heroin without all the constipation.

I wish it was like heroin without all the constipation.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oops! All constipation!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm now reading The Inheritor King in the second Sabbat Anthology. It feels better realized than The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings. The forward from Abnett in Sabbat Crusade says that Matt Farrer's story in the first collection ended up being a prequel to what he meant to write and that it came in last minute. With that in mind it definitely shows through that Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings was kind of rushed. Inheritor King's writing feels much cleaner and better visualized, which was the main problem I had with the first story. Headstone had interesting characters but for the life of me I could not visualize the setting at all. But here in Inheritor the description of Magos Tey's inner thoughts and how a tech priest visualizes data is super vivid.

I like it a lot and I look forward to finishing the novella. Is the rest of Farrer's work more like this?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm now reading The Inheritor King in the second Sabbat Anthology. It feels better realized than The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings. The forward from Abnett in Sabbat Crusade says that Matt Farrer's story in the first collection ended up being a prequel to what he meant to write and that it came in last minute. With that in mind it definitely shows through that Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings was kind of rushed. Inheritor King's writing feels much cleaner and better visualized, which was the main problem I had with the first story. Headstone had interesting characters but for the life of me I could not visualize the setting at all. But here in Inheritor the description of Magos Tey's inner thoughts and how a tech priest visualizes data is super vivid.

I like it a lot and I look forward to finishing the novella. Is the rest of Farrer's work more like this?

Farrer is quite good but inconsistent. I read and loved After Desh’ea so I picked up the Shira Calpurnia omnibus and I just kept bouncing off that. I don’t know why, I can’t point to anything specific, the prose is fine; it just didn’t pull me in and after many failed attempts I gave up. I think he works best in short story mode.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Deptfordx posted:

Remind me, what was the changes with the Plague War/Dark Imperium stuff? Is is it just retconning the dates it happened.

Initially the Indomitus Crusade lasted for roughly 100 standard years and ended with the Plague Wars.

Black Library retconned the events of the novels to take place only 12 standard years after the crusade had begun, now with no end date for the conflict. Rather than taking place 112 years post-Great Rift they take place 12 years after the opening of the rift, moving back the timeline by a significant amount. This change now places the events of the Plague Wars in circa 012.M42 early in the Indomitus Crusade.

In addition, the events in Dark Imperium do not represent the conclusion of the Indomitus Crusade, and are being changed to just mark the end of the first phase of it. This means that rather than the Crusade being somewhat ancient history, 100ish years in the past, it is now the current event happening in 40k.

Source: https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/12/warhammer-40k-gw-just-retconned-8th-edition.html

Haley is known to play fast and loose with the lore. He was the guy who wrote the Black Templars were a Codex-compliant chapter with 1,000 marines instead of the huge eternally crusading chapter the rest of the lore described.

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend some good 40k novels written from the xenos perspective? Does such a thing exist?

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 27, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Panama Red posted:

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend some good 40k novels written from the xenos perspective? Does such a thing exist?

The Infinite and the Divine for Necrons and Brutal Kunnin' for orks. Also the Ghazghkull book is dropping Saturday, or at least the LE.

On another note, a new and improved Horus Heresy series flowchart is out. Can someone add this to the OP?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...EeSMJLYb3uIjxYo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Schadenboner posted:

Were/are (human) perpetuals a thing in Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar?

No. There's some characters from WF that managed to get reborn into AoS (Gottrek and Felix, Genevieve off the top of my head) but Fantasy doesn't need and wouldn't benefit from perpetuals.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

In AoS the Grail Knights are getting ressurected by The Lady/Lileath when they die, which might count. Also they don't age like normal humans.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Panama Red posted:

I liked the Farsight books by Phil Kelly.

Blades Of Damocles
Farsight
Crisis of Faith
Empire of Lies

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Relevant Tangent posted:

No. There's some characters from WF that managed to get reborn into AoS (Gottrek and Felix, Genevieve off the top of my head) but Fantasy doesn't need and wouldn't benefit from perpetuals.

Wait is Felix actually confirmed alive. They did him incredibly dirty in End Times.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zudgemud posted:

Well, there's always drachenfels, he almost kinda counts?

NGL, a big way I think of Mortarion’s xenodad is colored by Drachenfels’ final form at the end of the book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Telsa Cola posted:

Wait is Felix actually confirmed alive. They did him incredibly dirty in End Times.

We don't know for sure if he made it over or not, Realmslayer implies that he might've been turned into a Stormcast. But doesn't really confirm it.
Snorri is a ghost at least.

Had no idea Genevieve made it through though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Telsa Cola posted:

The last book, Slayer, is incredibly heartbreaking.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cancel that WHF Old World stuff, do the End Times again but this time the Ubersreik 5 save the world and WHF carries on from there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Were there five? Or four?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Doesn't matter!

While all that weird abstract super high power level stuff was happening in End Times, Kruber and his pals were working in the shadows actually hindering the biggest threat, the Skaven and their eventual destruction of the whole planet and setting.

While the 4 or 5 are essentially weakling nobodies compared to the cast of the End Times, the latest DLC does have them going to the Chaos Wastes to (ostensibly) talk to Sigmar and Taal etc and ask for help, so they could be buffed.

But the story is better imo if these plucky normal people (compared to Nagash and Teclis etc) managed to just about stop the worst outcome happening while everything else around the world went to poo poo. A spark of hope in what is still an apocalyptic event.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 28, 2021

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

D-Pad posted:

The Infinite and the Divine for Necrons and Brutal Kunnin' for orks. Also the Ghazghkull book is dropping Saturday, or at least the LE.

On another note, a new and improved Horus Heresy series flowchart is out. Can someone add this to the OP?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...EeSMJLYb3uIjxYo

I've heard good things about The Infinite and the Divine, so I'll check that out.

Disappointing there aren't any good Aeldari/Eldar books. Defenders of Ulthuran/Sons of Ellyrion are some of my favorite WFB books.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

While the 4 or 5 are essentially weakling nobodies compared to the cast of the End Times, the latest DLC does have them going to the Chaos Wastes to (ostensibly) talk to Sigmar and Taal etc and ask for help, so they could be buffed.

Why would you go to the Chaos Wastes to speak to the "good" gods? Sounds like the work of :bird: to me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Drachenfels doesn't mention any of that sort of thing when covering events significantly after c. 2500 therefore the End Times are not actually a thing which happened/will happen.

:colbert:

E: This sounds anti-AoS and I'm not "one of those", it's just that AoS happens in a continuity parallel to the Old World and "The End Times" are not a thing which happen, they're the just the origin myth/flood narrative of AoS.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 28, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Panama Red posted:

Why would you go to the Chaos Wastes to speak to the "good" gods? Sounds like the work of :bird: to me

That's very true, though it's a literal cliffhanger right now, the final level of the Chaos Wastes, The Citadel of Eternity, just goes to the mission end screen when you reach a very Chaos looking altar at the end.

I hear the third Total Warhammer game is going to do a thing where a "Dying God" is helping against Chaos. Those two game series are basically the entirety of WHF lore now, and they're bigger than actual WHF ever was, they could make a revival of the setting possible.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Panama Red posted:

Victor's has some "Am I doing the right thing, sure hope the other witchhunters don't hear about this, hard choices, etc etc." style incidental dialogue, which trigger ocassionally.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm waiting to buy a PC until Darktide drops 👹. Vermintide is criminally under appreciated

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Farrer is quite good but inconsistent. I read and loved After Desh’ea so I picked up the Shira Calpurnia omnibus and I just kept bouncing off that. I don’t know why, I can’t point to anything specific, the prose is fine; it just didn’t pull me in and after many failed attempts I gave up. I think he works best in short story mode.
The second in the series is great and I got into it instantly. The third was solidly meh and it's kind of hard to see where the story is going until suddenly it resolves itself.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I'm waiting to buy a PC until Darktide drops 👹. Vermintide is criminally under appreciated

I have 1276 hours in V2, send help.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This whole conversation is over My head. What game are you talking about?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Vermintide and the sequel.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

I have 1276 hours in V2, send help.

I have most of my playtime on PS but I convinced my entire friend group to grab it and like 6 of us grinded through it. We all loved it but it's a bit old now :(

It will literally be my return to PC. That and D4

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Finished the Anarch last night, after practically just devouring it over the past couple of days after clearing the Warmaster.
That was... quite the book. :stonklol:

If anything the way language has changed throughout the the series (and BL books as a whole I feel) was interesting to note.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well thank God, the Mortis audiobook is out June 5th.

I wonder if the story behind the delay will ever come out? Had to be something, considering every other book hit day and date.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 29, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

abrosheen posted:

This whole conversation is over My head. What game are you talking about?

Vermintide. The Ubersreik 5 (or 4, it doesn't matter) are the playable characters. Empire Soldier Markus Kruber, Witch Hunter Victor Saltzpyre, Wood Elf Waywatcher Kerillian, Bright Wizard Sienna Fuegonasis and Dwarf Ranger Bardin Gorekson. Compared to the rest of the players in The End Times, these five bickering companions actually get some poo poo done and are instrumental in stopping various plots by the Skaven to overrun the Reikland.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If you wanted a limited edition Ghaz book, you're out of luck

https://twitter.com/FrogCroakley/status/1398667242389356552?s=20

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vermintide. The Ubersreik 5 (or 4, it doesn't matter) are the playable characters. Empire Soldier Markus Kruber, Witch Hunter Victor Saltzpyre, Wood Elf Waywatcher Kerillian, Bright Wizard Sienna Fuegonasis and Dwarf Ranger Bardin Gorekson. Compared to the rest of the players in The End Times, these five bickering companions actually get some poo poo done and are instrumental in stopping various plots by the Skaven to overrun the Reikland.

The best part of the end times will always be the skaven nuking the moon and killing vast quantities of themselves from the resulting warp stone moon chunks raining down.

It’s just the most skaven thing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If you wanted a limited edition Ghaz book, you're out of luck

https://twitter.com/FrogCroakley/status/1398667242389356552?s=20

On my GW store, it says Ghaz book in still in stock and I ordered one

I guess its wait and see if GW says woops

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arbite posted:

Well thank God, the Mortis audiobook is out June 5th.

I wonder if the story behind the delay will ever come out? Had to be something, considering every other book hit day and date.

The WhCommunity instagram mentioned they had to re-record the whole thing. I suspect a corrupted production file

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Immanentized posted:

The WhCommunity instagram mentioned they had to re-record the whole thing. I suspect a corrupted production file

I think you mean machine spirit.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

My ironic headcanon for the End Times is definitely Kruber becoming the Emperor of the Empire and Bretonnia and a beloved friend of Lustria, after saving the world.

My real headcanon: A Puritan Inquisitor investigated a planet that had just left a 35k year long warp storm, with a hosed up Warp Moon, warp portals at both poles, and totally overrun by Chaos, Orcs, mutant goatmen, and mutant ratmen at the same time. So they Exterminatus the moon and then the planet.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What was the general reception to Dawn of Fire? I'm just over halfway through the first book, Avenging Son, and I love it so far. One of the better Black Library books I've read.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Avenging Son was great, it had more Terra poo poo, politics, getting a deep dive into the hosed up communities of scribes in the Palace, a look into Guillimans mind, all that good stuff. Gate of Bones was mediocre at best.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I read Gate of Bones about a month ago, and I am honestly struggling to remember a single thing that happened in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

On my GW store, it says Ghaz book in still in stock and I ordered one

I guess its wait and see if GW says woops

You're fine. The other guy that tweeted didn't know what he was talking about. LEs sell at different times in different countries. He probably saw the UK sell out in 10 and thought that meant all 2k copies sold out. At the time of that tweet and post it hadn't even gone up for sale in the US yet.

As of this post there are still copies in the US GW store. That's very unusual as they typically sell out in a couple of minutes at most. I assumed this one would be highly sought after because who doesn't want to read about Ghaz, but I guess not.

Edit: lmao that's the author, how does he not realize the LEs sell different in different countries