Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Is that poutine on the back? Expos fans would probably be mad at that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BasicFunk posted:

I'm surprised it's not longer. That poo poo looked ugly.
Snitker says they found a fracture that wasn't spotted on the initial x-rays in Boston.

No replacement coming up tonight, idk what they'll do. Drew Waters is reportedly starting to break out of a season-opening slump but it doesn't sound like anyone's comfortable throwing him into the fire at this moment. Shame Orlando Arcia doesn't have OF experience cause he's supposedly mashing at AAA (I checked, BBRef says a single career appearance at CF.)

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Snitker says they found a fracture that wasn't spotted on the initial x-rays in Boston.

No replacement coming up tonight, idk what they'll do. Drew Waters is reportedly starting to break out of a season-opening slump but it doesn't sound like anyone's comfortable throwing him into the fire at this moment. Shame Orlando Arcia doesn't have OF experience cause he's supposedly mashing at AAA (I checked, BBRef says a single career appearance at CF.)

Maybe they're waiting to see how close Pache is to coming back?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Get Camargo to play third and slot Riley in Left maybe?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It's time to buy stock in Kershaw, his hat is so dirty they'll never find his sticky stuff.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think Pache should be eligible for return now but seems like the plan was to at least stash him on a long "rehab assignment" if not just option him down since he clearly needed to work on some stuff. But yeah that or the above might be necessary.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
we have more regarding the ongoing hat situation

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1397673548878131209?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That all seems rather reasonable???

I mean MLB is still wildly inconsistent about foreign substances and it's now being left up to individual umps.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/maddie_m_lee/status/1397664043796738048
https://twitter.com/maddie_m_lee/status/1397656018398728197

lmao injuries just keep piling up, kinda incredible Cubs are only a game out of first which you combine all the injuries with how dogshit 3-4/5ths of the rotation has been.

Gotta assume Miller is gone, either via waivers or refusing to be outrighted.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Splint Chesthair posted:

Just spectacular work putting the maple leaf right next to the maple leaf that was already on the hat.

Yeah between that and the awful looking poutine on the back (which isn't even a Toronto thing), it's just a dog poo poo hat like basically all of the hats in that lineup

Bummer that the Yanks/Jays is postponed, I was looking forward to Manoah!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

That all seems rather reasonable???

I mean MLB is still wildly inconsistent about foreign substances and it's now being left up to individual umps.

Yeah, I don't really see a problem here. Maybe the inconsistency of when pitchers are being checked but considering everyone's mad about the pitchers having an edge and MLB not enforcing their rules on them it seems like we should be leaning in this direction?

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
It does seem reasonable, I think the only objections were from cardinal fans who seem to have a complex about larussa

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No one has ever won their debut against the Yankees in the current Yankee Stadium. I was hoping to see Manoah get the first.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Dan O’Dowd was on MLBN lamenting Alex Reyes not using his fastball enough with a four run lead and promptly asked: “is there some kind of four run home run I haven’t heard of?”

:shrug:

Rockies/Mets postponed tonight. Doubleheader starting tomorrow at 10 MT

Also lmao

https://twitter.com/ozzieguillen/status/1397655020506685440?s=21

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 26, 2021

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
gio gallegos got everybody out so gently caress to joe west and TLR.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Going to visit the Hall of Fame for the first time in 20 years next week. Too bad Bonds still isn't loving in.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Jason Grimsley now has the hat.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Gallegos didn't throw a pitch with the hat on, why did the 2B ump call for it to be checked? Does Bellino have 20/10 vision or something

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

someone said the quiet part loud

https://twitter.com/ballysportsmw/status/1397681160096976901?s=21

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
gently caress Joe West (and also the Cards) but MLB really needs to enforce its own rules about the sticky stuff.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You'll see people make the point that batters also don't want pitchers throwing a ball they can't really control for obvious reasons. Would it be at all practical to come up with some standardized substance whose effects everyone can agree are fair and officially provide it like any other piece of equipment? And then implement efforts to detect the use of other non-approved substances.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sloppy Joe West, dumb and biased, making bad umpiring decisions! Baseball is very unpopular now! Sad!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

You'll see people make the point that batters also don't want pitchers throwing a ball they can't really control for obvious reasons. Would it be at all practical to come up with some standardized substance whose effects everyone can agree are fair and officially provide it like any other piece of equipment? And then implement efforts to detect the use of other non-approved substances.

Baseball's been trying this with making the balls sticky right out of the box, and I believe either the NPB or KBO is doing it with the official balls, but it's apparently a difficult science problem.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mike Shildt honestly kind of owns

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Baseball's been trying this with making the balls sticky right out of the box, and I believe either the NPB or KBO is doing it with the official balls, but it's apparently a difficult science problem.
Thought about a standardly sticky ball but imagine pitchers might want to control the level of stickiness themselves based on weather conditions or just personal preference?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Thought about a standardly sticky ball but imagine pitchers might want to control the level of stickiness themselves based on weather conditions or just personal preference?

Then you come back to the same issues though, guys will just load up on whatever you give them I guess.

Putting pine tar in some form on the mound like the rosin bag is probably the most straightforward thing to do, I feel like a lot of the "arms race" stuff with the substances is about making it difficult to detect.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 27, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's interesting when you ask hitters about it, in less than ideal situations they're fine with more grip since striking out on a nasty breaking ball is far preferable to taking one in the face.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's interesting when you ask hitters about it, in less than ideal situations they're fine with more grip since striking out on a nasty breaking ball is far preferable to taking one in the face.

And yet HBP rate has been trending upwards, so whatever pitchers are doing it aint working there

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Maybe there's just that much more honour to be avenged these days. Imagine swinging at a 3-0 pitch when you're up big in baseball, notable for being one of the few games running out the clock isn't an option.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I wonder if you could study the average distance batters stood from home plate. I know guys like Gibson and Clemens had a reputation for just smacking anybody who tried to crowd the plate so they wouldn't do it again.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I read somewhere that pitchers are throwing up and in more to counteract the more uppercut type swings that batters are taking, which means when they miss they are more likely to hit someone.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Poque posted:

Mike Shildt honestly kind of owns

how can you not like a man who counts Ric Flair and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat as personal friends

(plus, reportedly, he changed the clubhouse culture to the point where "having the ability to do his daily bull session again" was reason enough to get the Cards to be one of the first fully vaccinated teams)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/FloorCharts/status/1397712574335102979?s=19

What... What does he think 'regular' ketchup is?

Or is there a jug with a pump full of Bolognese sauce?

Apr 7, 2003

I dunno about Mike Shildt but it was funny when Metheny did an interview with Pittsburgh sports media about how he has such bad brain damage from concussions that sometimes he’ll be pumping gas in his truck and forget why he’s out, and the Cardinals fired him three days later.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The streakers are....learning....

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1397721978275086336?s=20

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

https://twitter.com/FloorCharts/status/1397712574335102979?s=19

What... What does he think 'regular' ketchup is?

Or is there a jug with a pump full of Bolognese sauce?

Tell him his beer is made with plants next.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i didn't think pittsburgh was that bad until they got effortlessly shut down by trevor "the human rbi" williams

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm of the opinion just put a tube of approved sticky stuff on the mound next to the rosin bag. This unenforced rule isn't working and will lead to unequal punishment unless pitches get their hands checked for sticky literally every pitch.

Apr 7, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

i didn't think pittsburgh was that bad until they got effortlessly shut down by trevor "the human rbi" williams

The Pirates brain trust is convinced they can tank to win despite the fact that tanking 1993-2012 got them exactly one playoff series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/NPB_Reddit/status/1397579311738101760?s=20