Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I am admittedly not british but I always figured that while quidditch culture was based on football, arcane quidditch rules were based on cricket.

Also admittedly the only thing I know about cricket is that it's big in India and Shaun of the Dead kills some fuckers with one of the wacky bats.

There's actually a lot of crossover there, though I think even in the UK cricket is mostly associated with old fucks and ethnic people (that is, it's still huge in the former colonies, likely as a way to get back at England) at this point.

The rules and gameplay are more based on cricket thematically than they might first seem; mainly the theme that you've got players on the field with different specialties and tasks who have their own goals and priorities, meaning there's a lot potentially going on tactically and a lot of statistics to obsess over. Kinda like American football in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cricket and baseball are like alt-universe versions of same game.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's actually a lot of crossover there, though I think even in the UK cricket is mostly associated with old fucks and ethnic people (that is, it's still huge in the former colonies, likely as a way to get back at England) at this point.
England being bad at sports they invented is a proud English tradition.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've got a soft spot for American football, it's like a real-life wargame. Though maybe mostly because it was the first sport that my Australian rear end wasn't expected to know by instinct. Actually got a couple cousins who've played it professionally, one against American teams. (apparently there's a bit of a AU-to-US pipeline, with rugby techniques getting adopted by American footballers as a result)

The Ireland vs Bulgaria game was iirc portrayed more as Ireland having the obvious advantage and Bulgaria the underdog who pretty quickly started losing, with the Weasley twins specifically betting on 'Ireland wins, but Viktor Krum gets the snitch' as the outside bet. Seems like Krum is meant to be Bulgaria's Harry, a star Seeker on an otherwise outmatched team.

Kinda get the feeling that Harry Potter has the vibes of what Traditional Games calls a 'Fantasy Heartbeaker'; a mostly cliched work that still has some decent ideas and motivation behind it, and could have been better if the author had actually tried to make it so and understood the pitfalls of the genre.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lmfao I'm almost at the end of the podcast and they literally described Snape doing a "Looney Tunes dive" through the window in his fake duel with McGonagall right before the battle. I swear to god I have posted the same thing. Am I brain poisoned by podcast strangers or are we all poisoned by Online?

I enjoy the image of him using his Snape Cape to flap frantically away like a real bat instead of diving gracefully like Batman.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lmfao I'm almost at the end of the podcast and they literally described Snape doing a "Looney Tunes dive" through the window in his fake duel with McGonagall right before the battle. I swear to god I have posted the same thing. Am I brain poisoned by podcast strangers or are we all poisoned by Online?

I enjoy the image of him using his Snape Cape to flap frantically away like a real bat instead of diving gracefully like Batman.

The actual page had that bit describing a Snape shaped hole in the window. There is no ambiguity.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Am I brain poisoned by podcast strangers

Yes. Absolutely. You. That specific podcast.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The rules and gameplay are more based on cricket thematically than they might first seem; mainly the theme that you've got players on the field with different specialties and tasks who have their own goals and priorities, meaning there's a lot potentially going on tactically and a lot of statistics to obsess over. Kinda like American football in that way.

Cricket is still big in general during the ashes and then everyone forgets about it. Few understand the rules. People just put it on tv and go about their business and act upset when we inevitably lose. Contrast this with soccer which, for a significant portion of the population, is a huge part of their everyday life.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://youtu.be/tS3y1Q3mFVw

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I found this version just a week or two ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSSE0thGmcc

I wonder how many House Points they lost for murdering Neville.

Also Vernon just shoving a pistol in Harry's face while threatening him is totally in character.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Vernon just shoving a pistol in Harry's face while threatening him is totally in character.

Despite even owning a handgun being a massively serious Go Directly to Jail crime in the UK....

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah, the Dursleys would have a respectable legal grouse-hunting rifle for Vernon to threaten Harry with.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 20, 2021

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I mean, Vernon Dursley does buy a gun when on the run from Hagrid. Definitely illegal under UK law even in 1991 but you tell me the Dursleys aren’t the type who think rules are for other people.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It was funnier when we thought the Dursleys were an over the top parody but then it turned out people like them really do make up the majority of the UK

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Vernon has a complete breakdown caused by his nephew getting letters, and in his fit of madness decides to nail everything shut then buy a potentially illegal but definitely dangerous weapon, drive around all over southeast England with his terrified and confused family before settling on a lonely island with nothing but some potato chips.

the whole time he is turning more and more purple, breathing heavier and heavier, his mustache growing bushier still. His head swivels slowly on his small neck with his piggy little eyes narrowing as they search for signs of who knows what.

I understand why Petunia was so in love.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

Vernon has a complete breakdown caused by his nephew getting letters, and in his fit of madness decides to nail everything shut then buy a potentially illegal but definitely dangerous weapon, drive around all over southeast England with his terrified and confused family before settling on a lonely island with nothing but some potato chips.

the whole time he is turning more and more purple, breathing heavier and heavier, his mustache growing bushier still. His head swivels slowly on his small neck with his piggy little eyes narrowing as they search for signs of who knows what.

I understand why Petunia was so in love.

Imagine this but instead of wizards it's Polish people, and you have the average British voter.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Hermione ranting over how she doesn't know anyone who voted for Brexit while Harry doesn't even understand what's going on but instinctively knew the public would choose the worst option.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Which characters were for Corbin?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Death_Eaters#Members

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Grindelwald

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I assume anyone who avoided Azkaban the first time around was involved in the wizarding world version of Operation Paperclip.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I assume anyone who avoided Azkaban the first time around was involved in the wizarding world version of Operation Paperclip.

You think wizards beat the US to the moon? I don't think there's ever a stated range limit on apparating, they could just blink up there whenever they wanted.

...now I'm picturing the moon's just littered with corpses from wizards throughout history making a big show of journeying to the moon, teleporting up there, and suddenly asphyxiating, without even enough atmosphere for the verbal components of, like, Bubble-Head Charms or whatever.

And with how dumb wizards are about even basic mundane science, they probably STILL do that once in a while and all their wizard colleagues are wondering at the unknowable mysterious properties of the moon in the same tone as that Veil in the Dept. of Mysteries.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ror posted:

kissing cousins with photoshopping my little ponies into the holocaust. continuing to beg people to read another book unless they want these brainworms.

Imagine their faces if they instead replace "Muggle," with the N-Word.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Can you imagine the American Wizard President trying to explain the wizarding world to Trump when he took office?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Who What Now posted:

Can you imagine the American Wizard President trying to explain the wizarding world to Trump when he took office?

The meeting probably started with "Well, I'm the President, so you should give me magic." and ended with "Gold coins, I like that. Many people have been saying America should use gold coins again, like we did in the days of our founding fathers, and I'm telling you, I think it's a good idea."

Those were also the only topics discussed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You say that like Wizard President isn't also Trump

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is no wizard president. Wizard USA is run by the speaker of Wizard Congress*, because JK Rowling is so uncreative that she can't even imagine a wizarding US, let alone an even more foreign country.

*MACUSA, pronounced "makooza" just like how all americans pronounce the weird and obscure acronym "USA"

e: also the sole american/canadian wizard school is a castle with four houses.

gently caress that, give me the elite prestige NYC school along british lines, but also a hoodoo school in New Orleans and a magical creatures-focused school somewhere in the PNW, let the inuit have their own magic, and so on

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 28, 2021

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is no wizard president. Wizard USA is run by the speaker of Wizard Congress*, because JK Rowling is so uncreative that she can't even imagine a wizarding US, let alone an even more foreign country.

*MACUSA, pronounced "makooza" just like how all americans pronounce the weird and obscure acronym "USA"

gently caress that, give me the elite prestige NYC school along british lines, but also a hoodoo school in New Orleans and a magical creatures-focused school somewhere in the PNW, let the inuit have their own magic, and so on

JKR is a not-particularly worldly woman with a typical insular post-imperial English outlook, despite living in Scotland a significant portion of her life.
Non-British cultures are inherently lesser to such a person.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah she was never a particularly clever person. The only thing that’s changed since she became rich is she’s shifted from absolute ‘status quo’ centrist to actively right wing. She kept the ‘sensible labour voter’ mask on just long enough to attack Corbin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nobody talks about it, but the wizard community of the America was taken over by japanese street gangs in 1985.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
4 is the most magically prestigious school house number

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Back in college when I played LOTRO, my lovely hobbit went to a regional hub; Bree. I announced loudly that LOTR ripped off Harry Potter, with the proof being that the One Ring was obviously ripping off the invisibility cloak and Gandalf is very obviously just Dumbledore. Two days later I logged back in and they were still at it.

Two weeks later I said it again in Rivendell, and someone desperately tried to head things off at the pass and immediately got shouted down as the server erupted once again.

I also found out how to play midi music with my lovely flute or whatever, found a bunch of lovely Journey midis, saw that the options for midi music at the time were either mute the game or leave the instance you were in, then found that the entirety of Moria was a single instance but that doesn't really have anything to do with Harry Potter. The whole game was a powderkeg.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 29, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

same

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Compare LOTR to the equally ponderous Shanara series or something.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
because by comparison harry potter is nonstop action

*dies sometime during book 5*

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Back in college when I played LOTRO, my lovely hobbit went to a regional hub; Bree. I announced loudly that LOTR ripped off Harry Potter, with the proof being that the One Ring was obviously ripping off the invisibility cloak and Gandalf is very obviously just Dumbledore. Two days later I logged back in and they were still at it.

Two weeks later I said it again in Rivendell, and someone desperately tried to head things off at the pass and immediately got shouted down as the server erupted once again.

I also found out how to play midi music with my lovely flute or whatever, found a bunch of lovely Journey midis, saw that the options for midi music at the time were either mute the game or leave the instance you were in, then found that the entirety of Moria was a single instance but that doesn't really have anything to do with Harry Potter. The whole game was a powderkeg.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 30, 2021

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

:holymoley:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I have a question: Did anyone in this thread read the books after they were all released? Or start reading them as they were released when you were a teenager? I have a theory that the only people that Harry Potter really resonates with are people who grew up with the books, meaning you were probably between the ages of 7 and 12 when the first book was released. If a 10 year old tries to read the books now they’ll probably enjoy the first few and start getting freaked out by the later ones. Similarly, most teenagers wouldn’t have started reading a children’s book series because they’re not the target demographic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ccs posted:

So I have a question: Did anyone in this thread read the books after they were all released? Or start reading them as they were released when you were a teenager? I have a theory that the only people that Harry Potter really resonates with are people who grew up with the books, meaning you were probably between the ages of 7 and 12 when the first book was released. If a 10 year old tries to read the books now they’ll probably enjoy the first few and start getting freaked out by the later ones. Similarly, most teenagers wouldn’t have started reading a children’s book series because they’re not the target demographic.

My partner works with kids aged like 8-12 and a bunch of current ones are still Potter nerds. Although I agree with you the first three in particular are fairly timeless and great kids books. The back half gets increasingly zeitgeisty for the early 2000s. Also for reference we're both 27, so it's entirely possible some of these kids have parents our age and are reading because their dweeb parents are indoctrinating them like my dad indoctrinated me into the Star Wars.

Semi-relatedly, my cousin mailed me my ye olde original Potter copies and it made me curious what the original british versions looked like. The US ones genuinely ruled. The art is amazing and the book itself behind the dust jacket looks like a cool tome. The done thing circa 2001 was to take off the dust jacket and pretend it was your potions textbook or something. Clearly I'm nostalgia-biased for my own childhood wizard books but I think the US version art is genuinely definitive. For all I know it's the same art the british version had but Britain inevitably disappoints and the US art was perfect. Like here's a comparison shot to french versions:

Say what you will about Potter and Rowling but the US version blows it out of the water as a wizard book for children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The US also got a version with more toned down covers for adults that didn't want to be seen reading an obvious kids book.