Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thx. just pulled them out of foil and sauced

Normally people say throw in a half cup of apple cider vinegar or something during the foil stage but i went cowboy and used shaoxing wine instead. we will see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Eeyo posted:

cfs: bought a new bag of urad dal and tried to make idli, but the batter didn't end up fermenting. put it in my new "fermentation chamber" (aka an inkbird, a heating pad, and a cooler) so it should have been warm enough. that's like two different bags i've tried and failed with. this one has an expiration date that's in september though so it's probably old. i should read the bags before i buy them.

at least my sambar is getting better. ground up some powder with the grinder i got for christmas.

Did you try tossing in some fenugreek seeds? I've never had much luck with idli fermentation, and even stuff like the type of rice you use can completely mess it up. All my family state side just tells me to use the premade powder.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Although neither I nor my stateside family are south indian, so idlis are very out of our forte.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it's officially too fuckin hot here so i am experimenting with baking on the new grill

scones today

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

continuing with grillsperiments, my so asked me to make pizza like two hours ago so i rushed a dough out

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mediaphage posted:

it's officially too fuckin hot here so i am experimenting with baking on the new grill

scones today

woah, neat.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mediaphage posted:

continuing with grillsperiments, my so asked me to make pizza like two hours ago so i rushed a dough out

Mmm delicious prune pizza :yum:

what is the topping though for real

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

scones today

are you using a dutch oven or just a stone or what? what kind of grill is it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

Mmm delicious prune pizza :yum:

what is the topping though for real

need my fibre man. actually i bet you could do a good prune pizza. maybe with a soft white cheese or some cream cheese or something.

oil cured black olives i opened up and pitted, a super quick red sauce (blitzed half a can of maters with some salt, olive oil, clone of garlic), oregano, part skim mozzarella (stretches like a motherfucker and doesn’t leave puddles of grease everywhere).

Stringent posted:

are you using a dutch oven or just a stone or what? what kind of grill is it?

i just put the scones on a thin steel pan on the grill. the pizza i did on a pizza stone i left outside since last year lol (it got a long slow heat and cool to dry it out and sterilize it first though).

grill is a napoleon 500, made in ontario. i posted this elsewhere but it’s this thing, we just got it a couple of days ago to replace the grill that was literally in an advanced state of decay...it actually broke apart when i tried to move it lol.

edit: it’s a standard gas grill if that’s what you meant

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

edit: it’s a standard gas grill if that’s what you meant

cool, you just did them both with the lid down i guess? i want to give this a shot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

cool, you just did them both with the lid down i guess? i want to give this a shot.

yup. the scones i tried to keep the temps between 300 and 400F. the pizza i did at around 700F. this is perhaps obvious but you really gotta be careful about not opening the lid and if you do, not very much, when you check on them.

i have to harvest some rhubarb from the garden this week, it's getting long in the tooth. thinking about doing a tart crust on the warming rack so it's well above the flames.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im gonna make pizza for dinner now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

yup. the scones i tried to keep the temps between 300 and 400F. the pizza i did at around 700F. this is perhaps obvious but you really gotta be careful about not opening the lid and if you do, not very much, when you check on them.

i have to harvest some rhubarb from the garden this week, it's getting long in the tooth. thinking about doing a tart crust on the warming rack so it's well above the flames.

why not just put a webcam in there so you can check without opening the lid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

good choice

fart simpson posted:

why not just put a webcam in there so you can check without opening the lid

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mediaphage posted:

good choice

you just need a system of mirrors, can't be too hard right?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

good choice

well im not suggesting making the cameras out of ice cream. that would be stupid

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Did you try tossing in some fenugreek seeds? I've never had much luck with idli fermentation, and even stuff like the type of rice you use can completely mess it up. All my family state side just tells me to use the premade powder.

yeah i had a bit of fenugreek in it too. i've also heard that that has some of the bacteria as well, but no luck on that for me. i did use the specific idli rice, but i'm just using my immersion blender to blend it hoping that's enough. it's also possible that everything i buy has been sterilized somehow, with like radiation or ethylene oxide or something, but i honestly have no idea how common that is (especially with imports).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe posted:

update

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im the knife block GROSS!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Why'd you only make a couple of slices?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Armitag3 posted:

i was wondering the same thing. op, can we have an update here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

man, the crumb on that crust is perfect

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Armitag3 posted:

that’s how sbarro sells them

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

brb, gonna go eat out of the trash now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

that’s how sbarro sells them

sbarro is my favorite pizza to eat whenever im in new york

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

sbarro is my favorite pizza to eat whenever im in new york

no you are confused. that’s a little local place they have down at the crossroads mall in portage.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i went to the mall like five or six times growing up because it was too far to go and we didn’t go shopping for anything outside of christmas maybe anyway

but i loved getting to see all these weird brands at the food court, especially sbarros. toppings on the inside?? what a crazy idea!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

i went to the mall like five or six times growing up because it was too far to go and we didn’t go shopping for anything outside of christmas maybe anyway

but i loved getting to see all these weird brands at the food court, especially sbarros. toppings on the inside?? what a crazy idea!

big same. the nearest mall to us was in battle creek, about an hour+ away, and it was always a big deal to go they had babbages!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for pizza i’ve been making this one a lot: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

except i do normal ordering of sauce and cheese (they do cheese first for some reason) and i bake it a little lower temp in a springform pan, with less oil since it will spill out otherwise.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

for pizza i’ve been making this one a lot: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

except i do normal ordering of sauce and cheese (they do cheese first for some reason) and i bake it a little lower temp in a springform pan, with less oil since it will spill out otherwise.

lol at “the crust has just five ingredients!” yes like almost all crusts do

anyway that cheese then sauce is a classic way of doing this kind of pizza

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

brb, gonna go eat out of the trash now.

turn your oven light on

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im eating turds

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ansible Adams posted:

im eating turds
metis rereg spotted

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

more grill fun, blue cheese-stuffed burg and a lil chop

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

drat. just like on tv. nice.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sausage and shiitake

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
better than the yospos special (sausage and poo poo takes) imo

champagne posting