Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mediaphage posted:

if you have an ok kitchen fan a grill plate on the stove can be good

i wish. Best option at the moment for me is just ordering a pizza. I have excellent places near me.

next best option is buying a centimeter thick piece of steel and shove it in the oven. third best would be a pizza stone. no fourth option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boiled Water posted:

i wish. Best option at the moment for me is just ordering a pizza. I have excellent places near me.

next best option is buying a centimeter thick piece of steel and shove it in the oven. third best would be a pizza stone. no fourth option.

oh we’re talking for pizza - honestly steel in the oven is great, it’s not quite a 500C oven but it ain’t that far off, especially for getting the dappled bottom crust that is a sign of good pies. it’s how i make a lot of pizza

i put the steel (you could also get a half inch plate of aluminum) on the top rack of the oven and preheat for 45 minutes at max temp. then turn on the broiler and slide the pie in

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

don't get aluminium it has terrible heat transfer characteristics

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

don't get aluminium it has terrible heat transfer characteristics

this is extremely incorrect lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

is it heat capacity then

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i went to school for this a million years ago please tell me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

is it heat capacity then

it has a lower heat capacity sure but this won’t matter unless you’re doing a bunch of large pizzas all in a row

for most people though it’s more than enough, and for many the fact that it weighs so much less is key, i’m able bodied so yanking my giant half inch steel plate in and out isn’t a problem but for a lot of people it will be

plus the thermal xfer rate is so high that it will perform better than steel if your oven can’t get above 500F which is very common. much beyond half an inch and the thermal conductivity of steel is so low that a thicker steel doesn’t do anything for you. but with aluminum the thicker you go the more energy you can dump into the bottom of your pizza and go a long way toward making up for the shortcomings of a residential oven

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Really the best thing about using it is that all you have to do is say what it is and some smug British person will appear and say "oh do you mean aluminium :smug:" and then you can hit them with it and shove their smug limey head in the oven until they pronounce every loving syllable in Featherstonhaugh

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Really the best thing about using it is that all you have to do is say what it is and some smug British person will appear and say "oh do you mean aluminium :smug:" and then you can hit them with it and shove their smug limey head in the oven until they pronounce every loving syllable in Featherstonhaugh

that doesn't really sound like a good reason to use it tbh?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mediaphage posted:

it has a lower heat capacity sure but this won’t matter unless you’re doing a bunch of large pizzas all in a row

for most people though it’s more than enough, and for many the fact that it weighs so much less is key, i’m able bodied so yanking my giant half inch steel plate in and out isn’t a problem but for a lot of people it will be

plus the thermal xfer rate is so high that it will perform better than steel if your oven can’t get above 500F which is very common. much beyond half an inch and the thermal conductivity of steel is so low that a thicker steel doesn’t do anything for you. but with aluminum the thicker you go the more energy you can dump into the bottom of your pizza and go a long way toward making up for the shortcomings of a residential oven

i looked it up for the other pizza thread a while back, and as you say aluminum has almost twice the specific heat as cast iron per unit mass.

an Al stone of the same mass would theoretically perform better vs steel or iron. it would need to be 3x the volume though. one day i'll get the coveted lithium stone :twisted:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

i looked it up for the other pizza thread a while back, and as you say aluminum has almost twice the specific heat as cast iron per unit mass.

an Al stone of the same mass would theoretically perform better vs steel or iron. it would need to be 3x the volume though. one day i'll get the coveted lithium stone :twisted:

unfortunately lithium has a low melting point (like 350F)

maybe you could make like a lithium-cored aluminum piece.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it also reacts violently with water so it would start popping as soon as you tossed a raw dough on it. Beryllium on the other hand...

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hell yeah then you get to roll the dice on whether or not you get berylliosis

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we all must make sacrifices for our art

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I heat things on my plutonium slab. I haven't noticed any changes but my dick does look a little larger.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im glad you can finally see it with the naked eye

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

im glad you can finally see it with the naked eye

thanks dude

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

comedy of errors yesterday. i set up two batches of dough to grill - pizza with a pinch of yeast that i set out in the sun for an all day ferment for supper and some richer dough for buns for lunch.

come downstairs to check the proofing box near lunch and it hasn’t risen at all, at which point i remember i forgot to add any yeast. i bloomed some yeast and kneaded it back in and set it aside

so with lunch i ended up making a chemically leavened buttermilk flatbread which turned out better than i expected tbqh

i put the cheese down first then sauce. this ones a bit poorly shaped because the dough was so soft after sitting in the sun all day. good crust, though.

and the buns came out ok, if a little late.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

time to grill some doughnuts

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how do you grill doughnuts, on a stone?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
everyone knows donuts are a rotisserie thing

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

mediaphage posted:

You're an absolute madman.

They looked good as hell tho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in the interests of full disclosure i am cheating and using the IR burner which still puts out like 14000btu to heat up a wok full of rice bran oil

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mediaphage posted:

:hai:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/rzldzl420/status/1404995845397827591

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
red green’s chinese cousin

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

5/10 no tornado chug

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

President Beep posted:

red green’s chinese cousin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
fully sikk. good use of animated photo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
check out my bread dough

smells really fermenty

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gosh this came out really good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

gosh this came out really good

well done that looks superb

i made some burger or whatever buns on the grill this morning they feel super fluff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

cute lil buns. nice color. excellent sheen on em

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i bought a 1lb package of active dry yeast at the beginning of the pandemic.

it has sat in my freezer since then because i don't know the conversion of this presentation of yeast to packets/stuff that comes in little brown glass jars.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ultravoices posted:

i bought a 1lb package of active dry yeast at the beginning of the pandemic.

it has sat in my freezer since then because i don't know the conversion of this presentation of yeast to packets/stuff that comes in little brown glass jars.

what do you like to make? for a standard loaf of lean bread or pizza dough i will do:

100% flour
65-70% water
2-3% salt
1% yeast

if you prefer to do long ferments overnight for flavour, you only need to add like a gram of yeast

mostly the stuff in the jars / packets is always more than you need to use because a.) they want to sell you yeast and b.) people prefer speed above all else

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
good lookin bread itt

there's a relevant gangtag also

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i had a steak sandwich and some mac n’ cheese for dinner and some of my horse radish got on the latter and holy poo poo was it good.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

im telling you, goons: put horseradish on ur mac and cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
ok