Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Lorde single coming

:nws:

https://twitter.com/LordeDaily/status/1402001119098937346?s=20

https://www.lorde.co.nz/

Reddit saying its out 6/26

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Is that nsfw? Should we be putting this cover under spoilers?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Is that nsfw? Should we be putting this cover under spoilers?

Fixed

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

looks like miss ella narija lani yelich-o'connor is about to have her hot girl summer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
New Marina dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1JTlnHGa90

Album's out in 2 days and I am beyond hype

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
New Glaive dropped last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xurBYdTLqGw

It's very good. Glaive is definitely one of the high points of the Hyperpop crowd. I love his voice,and look forward to watching his career as he gets older.

Speaking of younger hyperpop artists, torrr put out a new album called Eel earlier this week:
https://soundcloud.com/t0rr/sets/eel
ITs very good, very emotive, and it makes me excited to see their future work as well! Torr's voice is amazing, and their production is very crisp. Highlights include Dammit and Acetone.

Also just learned about the underscores. If you like 100 gecs, but didnt think they were emo enough, listen to the underscores.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGx2rul46gk
Their album fishmonger is great, the back half especially seems to find its sound and keep going down a path that works well.
of course my fav song off the album features vocals from 8485:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Ll_65fbFg

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Rarity posted:

New Marina dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1JTlnHGa90

Album's out in 2 days and I am beyond hype

Marina is really just amazing.

I was a pretty big fan just based on what I'd heard, but once I started getting into her unreleased material/'outtakes' it became pretty apparent that she's just unmatched.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

As if a new Lorde album is not enough reason to be excited for the summer...

https://twitter.com/raptalksk/status/1402741980883525634?s=21

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

prayer circle that normani catches this spirit and finally releases an album

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

New Lorde is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsP_lzh2-8

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh gently caress this is good!!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Big George Michael vibes, part Faith and part Freedom. It’s very chill I could imagine it taking over the summer very easily

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oh Thank God. It's great.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here is email she just sent out

quote:

You ready?

There’s someone I want you to meet. Her feet are bare at all times. She’s sexy, playful, feral, and free. She’s a modern girl in a deadstock bikini, in touch with her past and her future, vibrating at the highest level when summer comes around. Her skin is glowing, her lovers are many. I’m completely obsessed with her, and soon you will be too.
It’s my divine pleasure to be introducing you, at long last, to my third studio album, SOLAR POWER.
The album is a celebration of the natural world, an attempt at immortalising the deep, transcendent feelings I have when I’m outdoors. In times of heartache, grief, deep love, or confusion, I look to the natural world for answers. I’ve learnt to breathe out, and tune in. This is what came through.

The first song, also called SOLAR POWER and written and produced by myself and Jack, is the first of the rays. It’s about that infectious, flirtatious summer energy that takes hold of us all, come June (or December, if you’re a Southern Hemisphere baby like me but I know that’s literally IMPOSSIBLE for you all to wrap your little heads around so don’t worry about it!!).

I made everything with friends here in New Zealand. My best mate Ophelia took the cover photo, lying on the sand as I leapt over her, both of us laughing. The director who made my first ever music video, Joel, helped me create the videos, building an entire cinematic universe that I can’t wait for you to see. I made something that encapsulates where I’m from — my family, my girlfriends, my outdoors, my constant ruminations, and my unending search for the divine.
There’s SO much more detail to come — a truly comical amount of detail, honestly. You can look to the natural calendar for clues. I’m trying to listen to what’s out there more, and the vibe I got was that you’re ready for this, that you need it. I want this album to be your summer companion, the one you pump on the drive to the beach. The one that lingers on your skin like a tan as the months get cooler again.

Today’s the only solar eclipse of the year, did you know that? Feels right.
LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LET’S GO
SOLAR POWER TODAY — TOMORROW — FOREVER
ELLA XX

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 10, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“I’m kind of like a prettier jesus”

I mean…..she’s not wrong

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Someone called it Hot Girl Midsommar

Also the butt image is album cover

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 11, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I can't see this doing anything. There's no chorus, instead choosing to build up for a finale that just doesn't deliver. Ella's obviously been working out though dang.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah this isn't really doing anything for me. Hopefully it's the Green Light of the album and the rest is solid.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I think it’s safe to say I’m not getting my dark album lmao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paperback Writer posted:

I think it’s safe to say I’m not getting my dark album lmao

The album is just about being outside. Maybe she goes to the dump in one song or something. Could be a song about Lyme disease.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I feel like it could have been much more energetic. It has a great melody and they could have gone full George Michael with a big backing chorus and more powerful vocals (which is one thing I liked about Green Light) but really muted, "smaller" feeling production is in, even for poppier songs like this. Lorde was one of the people that originally pushed pop in that direction so I guess it's fitting, but I feel like it could have benefitted from feeling huge, especially as what seems to be a comeback single and "power" is in the name.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Someone called it Hot Girl Midsommar

Lol this is a perfect description.

I wasn’t wowed but I can easily see this growing on me.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Superrodan posted:

I feel like it could have been much more energetic. It has a great melody and they could have gone full George Michael with a big backing chorus and more powerful vocals (which is one thing I liked about Green Light) but really muted, "smaller" feeling production is in, even for poppier songs like this. Lorde was one of the people that originally pushed pop in that direction so I guess it's fitting, but I feel like it could have benefitted from feeling huge, especially as what seems to be a comeback single and "power" is in the name.

This is how I feel, but I still really liked it. I'm so glad that she's back.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://twitter.com/kylieminogue/status/1403186246201929731?s=20

A Gaga Kylie collab incoming? What is happening? Rumor is she’s singing Marry the Night , this is a dream come true.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ugh queens

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://kylieminogue.lnk.to/MarryTheNight

*chefs kiss*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like I'm alone in never really rating Lorde. She did that one song for the Hunger Games that was a belter but besides that nothing I've ever heard from her has ever registered.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Rarity posted:

I feel like I'm alone in never really rating Lorde. She did that one song for the Hunger Games that was a belter but besides that nothing I've ever heard from her has ever registered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STa__xAkbqI
?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Not heard this one before and like it's ok? Strong finish but most of the song is just kinda there. I definitely don't hate it but it's not doing anything for me either

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Double posting cause I've listened to the Marina album and it's so drat good. Besides the singles which are all still dope there's New America which is just savage, Goodbye and Highly Emotional People are both really moving and then my personal fave I Love You But I Love Me More which is gonna be the soundtrack to so many hot girl summers. The only problem I have with the album is that it's only 10 songs :negative:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I actually think Pure Heroine is a little overrated. Team is a classic and Royals obviously influenced so much of what pop is now but I think Melodrama was just way better all around. The Louvre and Supercut and Green Light and Perfect Places that whole thing is just a blast. I’m a little bummed that this album seems to be taking a u-turn and going in a different direction but I think there’s still the possibility that Solar Power might be a little more varied in its sound as an album. Green Light was a grower too but by the time the album came out it was solid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much entirely agree with the above post.

I’m not a massive fan of this song - I feel a certain type of way about songs that feel like they’re building up to something that never happens - but Melodrama was so good that I’ll give her some leeway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol this is a perfect description.

I wasn’t wowed but I can easily see this growing on me.

Honestly this is what happened for me with Green Light so yeah I could absolutely see it happening again. Green Light didn't grab me right away but within a month or so Melodrama was one of my favorite albums of that year.

Solar Power has the vibe of something that might work better in the context of a full album, too.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I think Solar Power is fuckin rad, just in a different way. Has me excited for the rest of the album. Melodrama was stunning.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

I actually think Pure Heroine is a little overrated. Team is a classic and Royals obviously influenced so much of what pop is now but I think Melodrama was just way better all around. The Louvre and Supercut and Green Light and Perfect Places that whole thing is just a blast. I’m a little bummed that this album seems to be taking a u-turn and going in a different direction but I think there’s still the possibility that Solar Power might be a little more varied in its sound as an album. Green Light was a grower too but by the time the album came out it was solid.
Royals was like the worst song on the album to me. I’ll listen to Buzzcut Season, Glory and Gore, Ribs, and A World Alone(plus Magnets, Bravado, Swingin Party, Yellow Flicker Beat, Meltdown) before Melodrama. And personally I would not call Solar Power a U-Turn from Melodrama at all, seems to be more in that direction.

e: may have been too harsh about Melodrama, I don’t think it’s terrible. I do love Sober.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 12, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, am I the only one who thinks Tennis Court is her best song?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Just about every one of her songs is someone's favorite. She's that good.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

the Flume remix is so heavenly, it’s one of my favorite songs ever yet I forget because it’s not on Spotify.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Just posting to stan Marina :unsmith:

The album is really good. Some really cheesy over-written stuff like Purge the Poison, but Highly Emotional People and Goodbye are up there with Obsessions/Numb, and Venus Fly Trap and Ancient Dreams are instant classics for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Sai-kun posted:

Just posting to stan Marina :unsmith:

The album is really good. Some really cheesy over-written stuff like Purge the Poison, but Highly Emotional People and Goodbye are up there with Obsessions/Numb, and Venus Fly Trap and Ancient Dreams are instant classics for her.

Don't miss out, this album is quality all the way through. Ancient Dreams is bonkers good.