Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

who watches the discovery channel these days? is there even still a discovery channel audience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

As I understand it is mostly about dangerous fishing and then at night you might catch some old episodes of how it's made

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's a 3 hour event though

they’ll play it three times and no one will notice

they might’ve got Jon hamm, we’ll see

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What do you all think we are getting in that discovery channel nonsense coming out tomorrow?

probably nothin but im still gonna have that poo poo going in the background

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah but THE SOUNDTRACK :cmon:

ok yeah fair

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It is a bit weird to me that UFO footage is being hyped like a shark week event but I guess they know it works so it makes sense

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

did corbell release a document or did the gorilla mindset prevail

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

my favorite wacky theory is we’re horribly alone in an uncaring universe and there’s no one to save us from ourselves :keke:

Werner Herzog voice (over footage of a deer walking through snow):

For zis is true weh-zer ve are alone in ze univerze or weh-zer zere are aliens everyvere. All ov uz struggle uhnd search for meaning, uhnd ve ull die alone. Perhaps it iz easier for RHobert Lazar to belief ihnn aliens, but for me zhey do not mahke any differenz. Zhey uhnd I are both doomed to whunder uhnd to vander in zhe cosmos until zhe end.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Werner Herzog voice (over footage of a deer walking through snow):

For zis is true weh-zer ve are alone in ze univerze or weh-zer zere are aliens everyvere. All ov uz struggle uhnd search for meaning, uhnd ve ull die alone. Perhaps it iz easier for RHobert Lazar to belief ihnn aliens, but for me zhey do not mahke any differenz. Zhey uhnd I are both doomed to whunder uhnd to vander in zhe cosmos until zhe end.

alien werner herzog, upon hearing the voyager golden records for the first time: I think you should not keep it. you should destroy it, I think that’s what you should do

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the French Aeronautical and Astronautical Association has released a 377 page report on UAPs (looking at incidents from the 1950s until now), but you have to pay for it and it's all in french:

https://www.3af.fr/agenda/telecharger-rapport-d-avancement-2021-commission-technique-sigma2-2145?langue=fr

but a 19 page summary is available for free, and in English:

https://www.3af.fr/global/gene/link.php?doc_id=4375&fg=1

Here's a bunch of stuff from the conclusion:

quote:

The work of the SIGMA2 Commission has progressed on several axes such as the inventory and the case study, the follow-up of international activities, the work on physics, the inventory of advanced machine technologies... Many contacts have been made . Interesting documents have been identified, including work carried out abroad,but cases with indisputable physical data recorded are rare. The use of old cases, in particular EME from data of international but also French origin, allowed interesting comparisons.

However, as explained above, new technologies and means of observation are gradually being deployed and giving rise to hope for new data collection. If unexplained cases with physical data are already identified, no comprehensive explanation has yet been provided by SIGMA2, apart from the identification of certain physical theories, which have yet to be demonstrated.

Nevertheless, SIGMA2 tried to make a preliminary cross-checking between the electromagnetic observables of different phenomena. We compared the radiation emitted by plasmas (bluish radiation from atmospheric nitrogen plasmas) with recordings of electromagnetic signals at 3 GHz (US records). We were also able to observe electromagnetic disturbances on electronic equipment (on the ground or inflight) or even observed the effects induced by microwaves on the natural environment(soil, vegetation) or on humans. These overlaps raise many questions about their origin. Regarding the kinematic behavior of UAPs, brutal accelerations, passage from a stationary position to very high speeds, we conclude that they cannot be explained by plasmas of natural origin, whose speed and accelerations are a priori limited in particular to the speed of sound. The speed of hypersonic movement and its accelerations can be explained if they accompany either a hypersonic mobile, performing brutal accelerations (according to an unknown technology), or by the projection of energy at a distance (like plasma lasers), but whose technological advances do not allow, a priori, the formation of plasmas at distances of several tens or hundreds of km. These findings are only partial and preliminary but constitute a common thread that could intersect with other research, for example on materials and their interactions with high frequency EM radiation.

Far from demonstrating the inconsistency of the cases identified or giving peremptory explanations, this militates in favor of further studies, of intensifying the collection of in situ data, on condition of having an organization capable of storing and to analyze such computer data without which it is illusory to claim to carry out serious analyzes of cases.

The implementation of a documentary database and computer skills tool has been carried out: this is one of the key points for building the documentary base but also for the use of the technical data collected on the cases. Both documentary research and archiving will then have to be intensified.

SIGMA2 reached conclusions in the 2015 report similar to those in the US UAPTF report regarding the unusual kinematics of the objects observed, such as those of the Army of the People's Republic of China. This observation on kinematics has since been reinforced by other characteristics such as electromagnetic emissions at certain frequencies, of artificial origin, which we are discussing. They have been noted in the past by the Americans as well as by the Russians, in their respective reports. But we have not yet noted any recall of these effects, nor knowledge of any intention to share the data. But the shared observation remains a first step.

To conclude by returning to the questions at the beginning: where are we on knowledge?

We may be past the stage of prejudice or disbelief. Are we talking about Facts, Hypotheses, Laws or Theories?

Skepticism could give way to scientific curiosity in the face of the unknown supported from now on established Facts and inventoried Hypotheses.

Do known Laws explain everything? It seems that some cases are beyond known science and may prompt research into extensions of known laws or lead to other discoveries, confirming alternative theories, now qualified as speculative.

To the question do the UAP exist? We leave it to the reader to judge, but the answer is yes, in multiple and even changing forms during observations.

Progress will come from the collection and sharing of data as well as the interest of scientists in confronting the Laws and Theories under study.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
lol sigma 2

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Werner Herzog rules

NDT drools

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

if you haven't seen Incident at Loch Ness then wtf are you doing here, go watch that

Herzog should do a UFO documentary, I'm serious

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

nice meltdown

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

i finished xcom2 today for the first time. thanks uaps for inspiring me to finish it

so did i...commander.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

https://i.imgur.com/pEFlswa.mp4

this except you're being bombarded with ndt tweets

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sigma 2 balls

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Google Butt posted:

did corbell release a document or did the gorilla mindset prevail

he says hes gonna release something tomorrow

its birds, hes gonna release birds

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rah! posted:

the French Aeronautical and Astronautical Association has released a 377 page report on UAPs (looking at incidents from the 1950s until now), but you have to pay for it and it's all in french:

https://www.3af.fr/agenda/telecharger-rapport-d-avancement-2021-commission-technique-sigma2-2145?langue=fr

irresponsible for them to not consider the findings of the LIGMA2 commission

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what’s sigma 2

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

ligma vs sigma 2

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

what’s sigma 2

As I understand it, it's

sigma balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rah! posted:

john woo's first contact

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*werner herzog gets randomly shot by an alien ray gun*

"it's not significant"

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Rah! posted:

he says hes gonna release something tomorrow

they came in peace.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Be careful, I heard the aliens gave all their troops Sigma

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CaptainViolence posted:

john woo's first contact

lol

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

make it stop

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

if you haven't seen Incident at Loch Ness then wtf are you doing here, go watch that

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

endocriminologist posted:

with the exception of aliens or birds what are your favorite out there explanations for ufos. mines time travelers

Ancient earthlings coming home after relativistic trips around the galaxy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ancient earthlings coming home after relativistic trips around the galaxy.

While interesting we would have seen evidence of their industrialization (industrialisationn) in ice cores (rip ice cores)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rah! posted:

[UFOs] Skepticism could give way to scientific curiosity in the face of the unknown

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

euphronius posted:

While interesting we would have seen evidence of their industrialization (industrialisationn) in ice cores (rip ice cores)

Not at all, if they were sufficiently (non-homo sapiens) (no-homo sapiens) ancient or sufficiently subtle in their actions (if they were more recent). If we disappeared tomorrow in a nuclear war there’s just be some flakes of unusual isotopes in the crust and maybe some fossilized deep sea fishing poo poo for our descendants or successors to find in another million years or so.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

wanna meet ndt and tell him how pessimistic I am about our place in the universe so he’ll hug me like my father never did

“we’re scum to aliens, if they exist, which they don’t.” I’ll say

“please come have some wine with me in my apartment tonight” he’ll reply

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Not at all, if they were sufficiently (non-homo sapiens) (no-homo sapiens) ancient or sufficiently subtle in their actions (if they were more recent). If we disappeared tomorrow in a nuclear war there’s just be some flakes of unusual isotopes in the crust and maybe some fossilized deep sea fishing poo poo for our descendants or successors to find in another million years or so.

Consider also a civ rising and falling before the last ice age. There may have been no ice to capture particulates the last time someone was burning.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

uh thre would be a two hundred year band of air pollution (more) . There is one from height of Rome we can still see in the ice cores

You are right if they just flew into outer space with their bodies it would be undetectable.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

NUFORC posted:

I saw a clear glass bubble, it was big enough for one man to sit in. And that is actually what I saw, a man in a sitting position in this glass bubble. their appeared to be no seat that he was sitting on. He was just sitting their. He had his arms stretched out in front of him like he had a steering stick in between his knees. He wore a brown coloured long sleeved top. and he had dark coloured hair and fair skin. Thats how close he was.

I rubbed my eyes in disbelief when I saw this, I will never ever forget it. I am reporting this now because I have never heard of any reports about ufos that where glass bubbles. And I am interested to hear if their ever has been any such thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Interglacial period was more recent than biologically modern (or maybe close enough) humans. And of course an ancient (truly nonhuman) civilization on earth could be much older than a million years and still have left virtually no fossil or geological record if it was for about as long a period as our own civilization so far.