Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
tbf it's more "fan goes home to Germany after their eventful weekend trip" but that makes for a less compelling headline

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s my life mission not to have Fox sports write something like that about me tbh

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Krogort posted:

Thanks to the posters in here I ordered a Cube Agree last night that should be delivered later this week.
Sram Force Etap and carbon wheels for 4000euro almost seems like a bargain these days.
I can't wait !

Yes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I at least want to be known as 'idiot participant' if I make the news for crashing out the entire field at a race.

Group road rides are back on. PRd the long 30km segment that makes up basically the entire ride despite getting spit out the back when I didn't realize that the person that pulled right before I did dropped out completely and I hesitated waiting for him to go by and didn't get back on in time. I picked him up and pulled the entire way to the turn around point. Our fastest rider said he's never seen the pace get pushed so much. He used to be able to just shake everyone off but now he can't lead out anymore.

I feel gross and kinda want to go back to bed.

I missed this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m looking at getting a Mag Tank or similar for my bikepacking/touring bike, which has both derailleur cables routed on the top of the top tube. There’s about 3” of housing at the front and rear of the tube, otherwise it’s just exposed cables.

What’s the best way to set this up so I don’t have a bag squished down on the exposed cable section? I could run full housing but the cable stops aren’t designed for that so it’d look ugly. Small piece of thin foam with channels for the cables that I could clamp the bag down on?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You could always run a section of housing between the stops and leave a small 1-3mm gap between the stops and the housing. A little tape to line things up and hold them in place so they don't rattle.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krogort posted:

Thanks to the posters in here I ordered a Cube Agree last night that should be delivered later this week.
Sram Force Etap and carbon wheels for 4000euro almost seems like a bargain these days.
I can't wait !

That paint is delish and i've not ridden etap but electronic shifters + hydro brakes is just a treat to ride.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m looking at getting a Mag Tank or similar for my bikepacking/touring bike, which has both derailleur cables routed on the top of the top tube. There’s about 3” of housing at the front and rear of the tube, otherwise it’s just exposed cables.

What’s the best way to set this up so I don’t have a bag squished down on the exposed cable section? I could run full housing but the cable stops aren’t designed for that so it’d look ugly. Small piece of thin foam with channels for the cables that I could clamp the bag down on?
3d-print something or have someone machine you some delrin?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

The Jagwire Elite cable set has housing that comes in a two part setup. There's an inner plastic sheath and little outer linkage things. There's an exposed section of cable on my bike that collects grit on rainy days. I used a long piece of that sheath and it fits through the stops to make one continuous impermeable run of housing. You could do something similar that starts under your bartape and extends only as far across the top tube as needed. I don't think it'd end up too unsightly even if the mag tank wasn't installed at the time.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

kimbo305 posted:

Depending on the BCD, a n-w ring might be close to a NOS 9-speed derailleur.

FWIW, a SRAM 10 speed derailleur has a slightly higher motion ratio, so the same amount of cable pull would be more than enough to sweep your 9-speed cassette.
And of course 10 speed RDs are clutched. But that's definitely throwing money at the problem before trying to rule out the basics.

Clark Nova posted:

Hey, I had a very similar problem when I tried running 1x with a bar end shifter. For whatever reason, friction shifting seems to make it easy to pull your chain off the chainring. The best solution is a narrow-wide chainring IMO

Thanks. This problem has happened the entire time I've owned the bike. It's got a Suguino 40t chainring on the front that came with the crank, so maybe that's causing problem. I'll start with putting a narrow-wide on there and see what happens. I got this crank specifically because 95% of the bike is used for around town errands, and having a built in low profile chainguard was appealing.

I stopped keeping up with bike technology about 10 years ago, so I had to look up what that is, and what a 'clutch' is on a rear der.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You could go for double stem bags instead

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

You could go for double stem bags instead

I do have two feed bags but they’re generally a more fiddly affair

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Also: FINALLY

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
could it be a chainline issue? somehow when you shift the chain is getting pulled enough to the outside that its riding over the teeth of the front ring right? If you've got a goofy crank and chainring setup I could see it placing the chainline somewhere it doesnt work with out a front mech, but im kinda spitballing here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

could it be a chainline issue? somehow when you shift the chain is getting pulled enough to the outside that its riding over the teeth of the front ring right? If you've got a goofy crank and chainring setup I could see it placing the chainline somewhere it doesnt work with out a front mech, but im kinda spitballing here.

Doesn't feel like it, but anything's possible if the troughs are really worn.
It's on shifts to bigger cogs, so more inboard, more tension on the underside. Neither would encourage the chain to move over to the outside of the chainring, I think.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Ah I missed that it was shifting to bigger cogs made it fall off the outside of the ring, that's real weird tbh.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Posting this here because what Lachlan is doing needs as much exposure as possible but peep the footwear

https://twitter.com/EFprocycling/status/1409997503790030859?s=19

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever use your bike to pick up takeout, especially a big pizza? I think a trailer is the way to go, but I don't want to overlook a less cumbersome option.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

rt4 posted:

Anyone ever use your bike to pick up takeout, especially a big pizza? I think a trailer is the way to go, but I don't want to overlook a less cumbersome option.

Front rack and bungees seems the simplest solution

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Front rack and bungees seems the simplest solution

Works great in the summer, but chills your pizza fast in the winter. I actually got one of those delivery hotbox backpacks.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Road handlebars make a great platform for pizza boxes. Just hug the box or rest your hands on top of it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Bungie it to your back and keep a good aero tuck.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I have this front rack and love it.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/p...XBoC_XkQAvD_BwE

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I use a big insulated picnic bag which keeps my back warm.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Posting this here because what Lachlan is doing needs as much exposure as possible but peep the footwear

https://twitter.com/EFprocycling/status/1409997503790030859?s=19

Bit worried as hes doing this due to knee pain but I reckon he'd finish it on one leg at this point. Hes nearly finished stage 6 and will surely have started stage 7 by tonight.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Take off front wheel and replace with pizza.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

Take off front wheel and replace with pizza.

A pizza baked beyond recognition, the poor man's carbon wheel

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Took my bike to ride on the formula 1 track in Austin yesterday evening, with the Pub carbon wheelset for maybe their third use.

Since I don't have a bike hitch or roof rack I just take the front wheel off and load the bike into my hatchback. When I pulled out the bike to reassemble it I found that one of the brake pads was tight against the wheel and wouldn't roll. I rotated the front caliper slightly to recenter the wheel and checked that the axle was seated properly and then went on to ride.

Later that evening I stopped at the top of the turn 1 hill to catch my breath and noticed again that the front caliper was binding with the front wheel. I adjusted the caliper again and didn't seem to have anymore issues.

I'm wondering if I basically set the front caliper clearance too tight when I put in the new pads, if the caliper is just a little loose and rotating, or if I should go get my wheels checked/trued at a bike shop.

I spun the wheel on the front axle and didn't notice anything exceptionally wonky about its rotation, but I'm not an expert here.

Any ideas?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Omg You can’t post that and not tell us what it’s like to ride COTA!?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Took my bike to ride on the formula 1 track in Austin yesterday evening, with the Pub carbon wheelset for maybe their third use.

Since I don't have a bike hitch or roof rack I just take the front wheel off and load the bike into my hatchback. When I pulled out the bike to reassemble it I found that one of the brake pads was tight against the wheel and wouldn't roll. I rotated the front caliper slightly to recenter the wheel and checked that the axle was seated properly and then went on to ride.

Later that evening I stopped at the top of the turn 1 hill to catch my breath and noticed again that the front caliper was binding with the front wheel. I adjusted the caliper again and didn't seem to have anymore issues.

I'm wondering if I basically set the front caliper clearance too tight when I put in the new pads, if the caliper is just a little loose and rotating, or if I should go get my wheels checked/trued at a bike shop.

I spun the wheel on the front axle and didn't notice anything exceptionally wonky about its rotation, but I'm not an expert here.

Any ideas?

These are rim brakes, right? Make sure you’re installing the wheel with it on the ground so the weight of the bike centers it in the caliper.

You should have the little lever to flip up that gives you more clearance to take out the wheel, and flips down when the wheel is installed to get the correct clearance. Make sure it’s appropriate when it’s flipped down.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

learnincurve posted:

COTA is fun to ride on but it’s kind of a mess because you have bikes everywhere and a lot of different paces. It’s like running f1 while f2, the Ferrari challenge cars, and some guys Camaro are all on track at the same time

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Slacked off this month

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

learnincurve posted:

Tell me what I'm looking at because that looks like a roller coaster and not something I want my bike on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

COTA is fun to ride on but it’s kind of a mess because you have bikes everywhere and a lot of different paces. It’s like running f1 while f2, the Ferrari challenge cars, and some guys Camaro are all on track at the same time

I’m disappointed but not surprised they haven’t got it separated into ability levels and allotted time slots - with the elevation as it is that’s a bit daft of them tbh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

poemdexter posted:

Tell me what I'm looking at because that looks like a roller coaster and not something I want my bike on.

Circuit of the Americas, Herman Tilke designed race track. Now this guy is notorious for designing loving boring but very safe racetracks that can be switched over from open wheel, to bikes, to tin tops without costing the track too much money.

The legend is that the track he designed was just dead flat (like most of them) and he stayed around for the supervision of the initial stages and then left. The moment he was on the plane the track owners brought in tons and tons of Earth and heavy equipment, made that enormous hill, and created themselves what is arguably one of the top 5 F1 racetracks in the world.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time posted:

Slacked off this month

Nice elevation, just ride 300 and some change more

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

I’m disappointed but not surprised they haven’t got it separated into ability levels and allotted time slots - with the elevation as it is that’s a bit daft of them tbh.

I did a team time trial at Silverstone which ended up a mess as even if we were starting off at minute intervals its laps, so you had 35mph bois blasting past old codgers doing it for charity.

I've done a few trips to goodwood too and thats a worse setup. Just everyone on the track at the same time for a free for all.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Nice elevation, just ride 300 and some change more

gently caress

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

learnincurve posted:

It's a fun time, imo. Turn 1 is brutal and I'm not in peak performance shape, so in the lowest gearing on my 11-32t I still felt like I ran out of gears and had to grind up. One lap I stopped midway to catch my breath. The hill right after turn one is fast and I hit about 37 mph which is a lot of fun.

Yeah you're dodging some slower riders, and then you got the guys in the full carbon TRI/aero bikes that look a little silly but I'm not complaining. Drafting people on the back straight is also fun.

I've done several motorcycle track days there and you really don't realize just how many uphill sections the course has until you're on a push bike.

If you're in Austin on a Tuesday night in the spring/summer I recommend it.

These are rim brakes, right? Make sure you’re installing the wheel with it on the ground so the weight of the bike centers it in the caliper.

You should have the little lever to flip up that gives you more clearance to take out the wheel, and flips down when the wheel is installed to get the correct clearance. Make sure it’s appropriate when it’s flipped down.

Yeah, rim brakes. (If my group set is Shimano 105, 11 speed does that imply that my brakes are also "105"?)

I thought I had seated it appropriately which was why I was so weirded out.

Edit: pics

Turn 1 early in the night and later as more people arrived

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are the turns kinda boring at bike speeds as I suspect?
I've only done walkthroughs at two road courses, and neither seemed wide enough to offer that much fun, especially in a mixed 'category' ride.