Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

kitten emergency posted:

also it seems like she did indeed pass her car seat challenge so kiddo should be comin home once we sort out some logistics :toot:
:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

kitten emergency posted:

gotta say it was kinda funny to watch the kid vomit up a fountain of milk on my wife yesterday. I assume it'll be less funny when it happens to me.

when my oldest was like 1 she got a stomach bug and, while i was leaned over her getting her redressed and quietly talking to her, she projectile vomited right into my open mouth and all over the bed

ofc ~12 hours later i had it coming outta both ends, turns out that's quite an effective method of transmission

also grats, stock up on caffeine and gatorade

oh and make sure your car seat is installed correctly, sometimes it can be a pain in the rear end. your local fire department can actually help with this, sometimes they'll even do like a saturday where they'll invite the public to come by for fittings and will give out free seats and stuff

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
stock up on pacifiers and bottle nipples too. those things love to disappear into thin air.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

she projectile vomited right into my open mouth

i love this story :allears:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
today my son insisted that he "heard someone". just "I heard someone" several times, would not elaborate. Cool.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i heard people and owls all the time when i was a kid and my parents always insisted I didnt

fast forward like 30 literal years and it turns out i have auditory hallucinations lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bobbilljim posted:

today my son insisted that he "heard someone". just "I heard someone" several times, would not elaborate. Cool.

we had a mysterious third grandma for awhile, who just went by "grandma" and was a distinct entity from the real two (who do not go by grandma)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corla Plankun posted:

i heard people and owls all the time when i was a kid and my parents always insisted I didnt

fast forward like 30 literal years and it turns out i have auditory hallucinations lol

so your parents were right is what you're saying

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i've been living with a girlfriend for almost a year now who has 2 kids, 7 and 10. liking the dad vibes and teaching them about life. the other day the 10-year old wanted to make animation so I got him pencil2d and he made a stick fight. thought it was cool

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

shoeberto posted:

So I'm curious, what specifically is it about weekends that are non-relaxing after having a kid? My boss had mentioned that as well with his kids (ranged like 9-12 iirc), like he said he just has no weekends now. Is it just that they need your undivided attention? Catching up on household chores? All of the above?

Basically you don't get to sleep in ever again and kids don't "relax", they are either doing something fun and interesting or they're annoyed and miserable

At 2 1/2 my lad will now sit and watch tv for like 30 mins and it just now feels like we're living together as opposed to being a source of food and entertainment only

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

abigserve posted:

Basically you don't get to sleep in ever again

hey we slept until 9am this weekend!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

go play outside Skyler posted:

i've been living with a girlfriend for almost a year now who has 2 kids, 7 and 10. liking the dad vibes and teaching them about life. the other day the 10-year old wanted to make animation so I got him pencil2d and he made a stick fight. thought it was cool
that's very cool. good dadding

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

abigserve posted:

Basically you don't get to sleep in ever again and kids don't "relax", they are either doing something fun and interesting or they're annoyed and miserable
yeah basically. i am able to keep my 4 y/o quiet enough on weekend mornings for my wife to sleep in but she cannot do the same for me unless the kid is completely out of the house (i'm a light sleeper)

getting out of the house in the morning is very weather dependent year-round. also dependent on my wife's rest reserves which have been extra terrible since COVID hit. and then worse when it tanked her job. and then even worse when she got a 100% wfh gig at the start of 2021

i would be surprised if i've had an hour to "sleep in" on weekends three times this year so far. otoh my wife did most of the night/early am work with the baby for the first three years. weekends are just where i repay her effort

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
time for lovely anxiety sleep to be replaced by lovely "baby waking up every 4 hours" sleep, kiddo's comin home today

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

kitten emergency posted:

kiddo's comin home today

<3

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/henpeckedhal/status/1410687695123144704?s=21

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kitten emergency posted:

time for lovely anxiety sleep to be replaced by lovely "baby waking up every 4 hours" sleep, kiddo's comin home today

☺️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
reminder :your kids become you

so if you want combative kids who huff and puff and get pissed off easily and talk back

then just do what most parents do and treat your kids without respect

bonus points if you get pissed off at them coz they make a mess in the kitchen, and then clean it up yourself. the lesson in that scenario is priceless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some people think that I can only manage to parent my kids without yelling or getting angry because magically I was blessed with respectful kids but it’s kind of the other way around.

the last time I raised my voice was well over a year ago, and while it kind of worked at the time it also made my kids upset, and there’s simply no way that that can be helpful. making people feel bad about something is a terrible motivator to improve over time.

also another life lesson is to never hold back on affection. my 12yo starts what you’d called junior high next year and he still cuddles into me on the bad while i tolerate a mr beast mine craft video that him and my 10yo want to watch

mr beast has a horrible moustache jesus christ

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

here's a tip: don't pick a song you like to sing to get them to sleep because you'll be unable to think of another one, sing it over and over and get sick of it and then it'll be ruined to you

kitten emergency posted:

there’s a reason we haven’t painted yet

I spotted a weird mark on the wall and yep it was vomit and it's strangely hard to get the stain off. carpets aren't too bad though, cat barf is way worse.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

President Beep posted:

i love this story :allears:

whenever I'm lying down and I lift babby into the air to go "flying" I think about that story and quickly reasses my decision

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

here's a tip: don't pick a song you like to sing to get them to sleep because you'll be unable to think of another one, sing it over and over and get sick of it and then it'll be ruined to you

I spotted a weird mark on the wall and yep it was vomit and it's strangely hard to get the stain off. carpets aren't too bad though, cat barf is way worse.

if nothing else I feel prepared for this because of the amount of cat and dog poo poo, piss, and puke I have had to clean off of every possible type of floor, wall, ceiling, and furniture material over the past decade. I've even had the joy of cleaning up when my dog had a diarrhea accident at some point after kicking off my roomba.

My biggest fear is just this hypothetical scenario where all of em (2 dogs 3 cats) including the baby just start blasting out all orifices simultaneously. I just know it's gonna happen, and the dogs are gonna try to eat it before I can clean it up.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I have nothing really relevant to add to this thread for a few more months but boy I can ramble on about cleaning up poo poo and piss and puke all day.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the worst part of children is that they're these perfect mirrors and will show you parts of your personality you thought you had well-hidden

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
me: child wtf are you doing

my child: turn your monitor on lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

reminder :your kids become you
there's still time to keep them away from burgers king

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

pick a song like fly me to the moon that you can easily fake lyrics to

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol. lmao!!!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Kenny Logins posted:

pick a song like fly me to the moon that you can easily fake lyrics to

I only remember the moon jiu-jitsu class version of that song now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

the worst part of children is that they're these perfect mirrors and will show you parts of your personality you thought you had well-hidden

oh boy ain’t that the truth.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

yeah lol

it was more like every 90 minutes for the first two weeks for us

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

beep: can you pass the butter
beepson: *slides toy car past butter* vrooom!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

I only remember the moon jiu-jitsu class version of that song now

that's fine, baby dkwtf

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

beep: can you pass the butter
beepson: *slides toy car past butter* vrooom!

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

there's still time to keep them away from burgers king

lol

great song for kids lol is come sail away by styx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MAg_yWsq8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

me: child wtf are you doing

my child: turn your monitor on lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

those little oxygen monitoring socks

Im legit glad we didn't know these were a thing because we were :same: af with BVMTH when he came home and would 100% have bought one and :ohdear:'ed over it.

E: Are they new? I didn't hear of them ~7 years ago is all.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

went to the beach, babby managed to lean forward and fall out of the pram due to not having been strapped back in,landed on head,covered in sand, tears, panic, no damage.

that's definitely the first "oh poo poo she can do that", and probably not the last

edit: it was not me who put her back in without restraining her, and you bet I fully buckled her in when I had to put her in the car seat for all of 30 seconds while I put the stroller away and needed both hands.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 2, 2021

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

went to the beach, babby managed to lean forward and fall out of the pram due to not having been strapped back in,landed on head,covered in sand, tears, panic, no damage.

that's definitely the first "oh poo poo she can do that", and probably not the last

When they start running and climbing it becomes clear why they're born with a disposable set of teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

E: Are they new? I didn't hear of them ~7 years ago is all.

I think they might be new-ish because we would’ve got one for child 1 in 2013 had we known about them.