Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

This is the one topic that I have material experience with, not only from an electronics standpoint, but also from a locked-in-a-room-with-six-ATF-agents standpoint

lol jonny cDc textfile rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i love these chud Freedom™ social apps that keep coming out claiming to be for Free Speech - No Cancel Culture - Freedom from Big Tech!

that then use big tech and get pwned for it every single time in the end

https://twitter.com/Sniepre/status/1410709706696364033

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
p much. dry ice in mailboxes. we played scared dumb nerds and got it knocked down to criminal mischief but they wanted our rear end for a bit.

to this day i haven't lit a single firework since summer 1997 and won't buy an f91w

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKER_iQuzvg&t=513s

timestamped

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

when i was in high school we bought a junk car for joyriding (it was $250) and parked it on the side of the road. the cops decided it was a bomb and evacuated 15 houses and called in a helicopter and a bomb robot and it was on the local news as a new years eve millennium bomb threat. they were reap mad when we showed up and told them it was just a junk car.

This is hilarious and if you didn’t actually read the article you should.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I like that they use the word "confessed" in reference to "parking a dilapidated car at the location."

that reporter gave the cops an awful lot of praise for going through the due diligence of "calling the family who lived there" before blowing it up in a residential neighborhood

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

there’s some fuckstick in this tim hortons with stars and bars on his jacket

wrong loving country you slaver dickhead

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol this PC build from the mid-00's, I wish I could find the original post about it

Whats in the crate, son?
Oh just my computer, Officer
Can I see it?
Oh yes of course

*gunshot FX*

edit: here it is

Part 1: - http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005/10/19/wmd_g-gnome/1.html
Part 2: - https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/modding/wmd_part2_g-gnome_case_mod/1/
Part 3: - https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/modding/wmd_part3_g-gnome_case_mod/1/

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 1, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stereotype posted:

I like that they use the word "confessed" in reference to "parking a dilapidated car at the location."

that reporter gave the cops an awful lot of praise for going through the due diligence of "calling the family who lived there" before blowing it up in a residential neighborhood

what actually happened was that we saw the bomb threat on the tv news, put it together ourselves that they had jumped to conclusions, and drove out there ourselves and talked to the police on the scene, that’s why i saw them using the parabolic mic and all that.

the cops agreed to let one of us go out past their barricade and open the trunk of the car to prove it was not a bomb.

they may have been talking to the family who owned the house as well, i don’t know that part. i do know our friend who lived at that house was mad as hell and his dad made him scrub the oil stains our lovely car left off their driveway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

see you that and raise you a gym bag outside the gym

a bunch of years ago i saw a youtube video where a bomb squad in florida blew up a stuffed animal that was sitting on the sidewalk beside a playground, about a hundred feet from a daycare

Stereotype posted:

kwinkles and his friends also apparently "acknowledged" that there were no explosives in the car, as if they had initially tried to convince people there were

Jonny 290 posted:

he didnt build poo poo, he took an off the shelf commercial clock and ripped it out of its case so it looked like scary wires. There was a lot of racism and xenophobia in the response to his actions, i won't disagree, but he did a really loving stupid thing.

he did a stupid thing, yes. but he was fourteen or something. kids do stupid poo poo without understanding the ramifications of their actions. you can't judge them or respond to them as if they were doing the thing as a grown adult of sound mind. that's what happened to tamir rice.

a similar situation which i think had a perfectly fair response was when star simpson, then an MIT student, was detained at the airport for wearing what she characterized as "a shirt with a light-up name tag." i have seen a picture of the device in question and it was a bare PCB with loose wiring and a battery pack literally taped to her chest, and she tried to wear it through the security checkpoint. that's comparably dumb to making the briefcase clock bomb thing and taking it to school, but she was old enough to know better.

e: i found a picture. it was a breadboard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i remember that too

Now, if you build wearable tech, you actually get money from the pigs and the schools as long as you tie some nice monitoring/metrics in to the panopticon

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i love how everyone is terrified of any device not made by a massive corporation and encased in injection molded plastic

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

IS THAT A BREADBOARD?! GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW! [BLAM BLAM BLAM]

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Oneiros posted:

i love how everyone is terrified of any device not made by a massive corporation and encased in injection molded plastic

911 was one of the best attacks ever in all human history, it left a big mark on everyone

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the clock kid getting hauled out of school in handcuffs for that was dumb as poo poo and the school officials and police involved deserve to be publicly flogged for their stupidity, but everything in the aftermath kept getting weirder and weirder

before all of the facts were even out you had every twitter nerd who was stuffed into a locker in high school calling him a persecuted genius, obama inviting him to the white house with his clock*, companies hurling thousands of dollars of free swag at him, invites to all kinds of events, his dad leveraging his son's global notoriety to get a foothold in qatar politics and so on. all for a clock he "made" by putting the guts of the clock next to his bed in a pencil case

*yeah, bring that thing to one of the most secure buildings on earth and see what happens

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

the clock kid getting hauled out of school in handcuffs for that was dumb as poo poo and the school officials and police involved deserve to be publicly flogged for their stupidity, but everything in the aftermath kept getting weirder and weirder

before all of the facts were even out you had every twitter nerd who was stuffed into a locker in high school calling him a persecuted genius, obama inviting him to the white house with his clock*, companies hurling thousands of dollars of free swag at him, invites to all kinds of events, his dad leveraging his son's global notoriety to get a foothold in qatar politics and so on. all for a clock he "made" by putting the guts of the clock next to his bed in a pencil case

*yeah, bring that thing to one of the most secure buildings on earth and see what happens

see

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

It will display the current time?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

until your seeping gunshot wounds short it out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
its stuff like obama having a beer with the cop who arrested the black guy at his home (it was too good for one of them) and him inviting the clock prodigy to the white house that make me think he might have been a bad president

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fame Douglas posted:

as we saw earlier this is a suspicious activity

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXG7pumxzQU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

PokeJoe posted:

I'm sure the cops had a lot of fun playing anti-terrorist

opposite day!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Stereotype posted:

its stuff like obama having a beer with the cop who arrested the black guy at his home (it was too good for one of them) and him inviting the clock prodigy to the white house that make me think he might have been a bad president

iirc, people dug into the cop's social media and, unsurprisingly, he was a huge racist white supremacist. the "beer summit" was indeed dumb as poo poo as clearly neither of them wanted anything to do with each other and the meeting basically got racist cop dipshit off the hook

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol the beer summit

reminded me of this instant classic by the late congressman

https://twitter.com/repjohnlewis/status/751432205826715648

e: he's referring to this incident during the civil rights protests

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 2, 2021

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

p much. dry ice in mailboxes. we played scared dumb nerds and got it knocked down to criminal mischief but they wanted our rear end for a bit.

to this day i haven't lit a single firework since summer 1997 and won't buy an f91w

put together some drain cleaner bombs like literally the month after 9/11 and blew up a mailbox in a neighborhood next to me

sheriff showed up at my house and everything. just got a talkin to, surprised me at the time, white kid so i got away w/ a lotta dumb poo poo w/ the cops in retrospect i think.

definitely curbed my blowing poo poo up dumbassery as well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i pulled the 'scared nerd white boy who got mixed up with some Rough Kids' card twice before i figured i had pressed my luck enough.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1410882523693977606

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

yeah, only conservative muslims care about palestine obviously.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
“gay rights and palestine” doing a lot of work

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Health concerns have also been taken into consideration, particularly in in light of the pandemic, and the team stress that "world class medical care" will be available onboard, while pointing out that those on board will likely be kept "away from pandemics and other global risks."

you gotta come back to shore at some point. :toughguy:

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

The_Franz posted:

iirc, people dug into the cop's social media and, unsurprisingly, he was a huge racist white supremacist. the "beer summit" was indeed dumb as poo poo as clearly neither of them wanted anything to do with each other and the meeting basically got racist cop dipshit off the hook

the "beer summit" was attempted damage control after he said the cop was stupid, which to his credit is correct. you have to remember it was five months into the term and so his too-small stimulus and larry summers centrism hadn't caught up to him yet

as a direct result of his disrespecting a cop his approval rating among whites dropped 20 points

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bump_fn posted:

“gay rights and palestine” doing a lot of work

my campaign platform is raising a lot of questions that are answered by my campaign platform

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

not postig how i feel about this to avoid a visit from the feds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
didn’t they try this with “they world” and the people who bought condos on board hated it because they had to mix with a bunch of pleb cruise passengers (since that was the only way to make it at all fiscally feasible)

not gonna lie tho if i was insanely wealthy i could think of worse places to live than a boat where people waited on me all the time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah, like america

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Lol the olympics just banned a bunch of black women runners for the crimes of "smoking pot" and "not feminine enough"

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i pulled the 'scared nerd white boy who got mixed up with some Rough Kids' card twice before i figured i had pressed my luck enough.

lmao me and a buddy discovered that Draino changed the formula to prevent bombs but put the same old mixture in "The Works" so we figured out how to make draino bombs in his garage and the cops immediately busted the kid that sold fireworks out of his locker instead of me.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/KnockDotLA/status/1410694137221836800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

great! that'll help people think twice before they consider being homeless and set them on the right track