Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The theatrical cut works as some sort of fever dream logic, but it was absolutely gutted by having a whole fifth of the runtime removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MiddleOne posted:

Aquaman has some pacing issues but is thoroughly ok which is more than I can say for WW84 or BvS.

WW84 is the only DC movie I feel the way most people seem to feel about every DC movie. An absolute tonal mess, making odd and confusing choices that capsize any investment I may have had in the story or character. Though I guess Suicide Squad flies pretty close to that, too.

I'm thoroughly in the camp that BvS is far more good than bad, though. It's very coherent on a character and thematic level, and has an actual argument about the characters at its core. At this point, I'm convinced that the main reason people hate it is because they're precious about Batman, who is rightfully depicted as an insane, violent psychopath fueled by trauma.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't mind Justice Squad but there's really nothing about it I liked very much either. It had maybe one neat scene (the Flash slow-motion stuff) and the rest was just sort of there

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The theatrical cut was a dull and confusing mess.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wish the theatrical cut had taken out the Knightmare and kept in the scenes of Clark being an investigative reporter

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Zzulu posted:

I don't mind Justice Squad but there's really nothing about it I liked very much either. It had maybe one neat scene (the Flash slow-motion stuff) and the rest was just sort of there

I found its earnestness and absolute sincerity immensely refreshing, and its theme of overcoming trauma via solidarity and rediscovering genuine faith in other people and oneself (and then going on to fight and kill space fascists) pretty goddamn timely both personally and in general

Also no-one shoots punch man fight scenes like Snyder.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

WW84 is like a slightly better Joss Whedon movie

The mall fight is somehow the least bad action scene in the film

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 6, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It is pretty clear that the longer cuts of Justice League and BvS are overall better movies, but also kind of equally damning that you needed more than 4 hours to tell the very minimal story of Justice League.

A well-crafted Justice League movie would not be over 4 hours long.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is pretty clear that the longer cuts of Justice League and BvS are overall better movies, but also kind of equally damning that you needed more than 4 hours to tell the very minimal story of Justice League.

A well-crafted Justice League movie would not be over 4 hours long.

Why not?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ostensibly, Lord of the Rings is a story about a party getting an evil ring and dumping it in a volcano while elves learn to be less dickish. It gets three books/11 hours of runtime though because the fun is in the journey and the worldbuilding.

Yeah, you probably could have made a 120 minute Justice League movie, maybe even an 80 minute movie! But the 4 hour runtime lets the universe breathe.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Ostensibly, Lord of the Rings is a story about a party getting an evil ring and dumping it in a volcano while elves learn to be less dickish. It gets three books/11 hours of runtime though because the fun is in the journey and the worldbuilding.

Yeah, you probably could have made a 120 minute Justice League movie, maybe even an 80 minute movie! But the 4 hour runtime lets the universe breathe.

Agreed. Plus also it had to smush not one but two character introductions/origin stories in, both of which - and the Cyborg one in particular, probably the highlight of the whole film - came off really, really well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In terms of enjoyment, anything is going to suffer by demanding excessive time commitments. Even the most engaging content can't capture a human attention span for 4 hours consistently and I think it would be a hard argument to make that every second of those 4+ hours was vital to the understanding of the movie. It gives short shrift to the integral parts of your story.

To quote Kenny Burns:

quote:

The essence of cinema is editing. Cut until you can cut no more. A well-made film will be direct, simple, brief, vigorous, and lucid. When you are editing, the final master is Aristotle and his poetics. You might have a terrific episode, but if people are falling out because there are just too many elements in it, you have to begin to get rid of things. Every syllable that can be struck out is pure profit, and every page that can be economised is a dividend.

Or Stevie King, whose quote practices what it preaches:

quote:

The road to hell is paved with adverbs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the thing that probably hangs over Justice League is that the actual conflict of Steppenwolf and the New Gods isn't all that compelling or always particularly coherent even in the four hour cut. And that's kind of a fundamental issue with the whole thing even if the final cut is stronger. But regardless, it has some pretty strong character work particularly with Batman, Superman's family, and Wonder Woman regardless.

I think what's frustrating is that while a four hour cut might seem silly, there is clear stuff to cut: The lovely epilogue at the ending, some of the Aquaman singing. Like there is fat to cut down to get down to a three hour cut and that seems pretty reasonable even if the underlying conflict is somewhat slight. I think it would have been a pretty flawed movie, but a flawed movie with some interesting and compelling stuff in it, would have been enjoyed by the people already into Snyder's movies, and seems like it would have won over people suspect.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Someone could definitely make a good 2 hour Justice League movie, but I don't think Zack Snyder could. His version of the universe is more mythologized and epic (in the tradition of stuff like Ben-Hur or Cleopatra), so kind of necessitates a longer runtime as part of the storytelling method. The HBO Max version of the movie probably helped to offset the time commitment by adding chapter breaks, but people will binge entire seasons of television in one day so it may not be necessary.

If you want a good, short Justice League movie, someone like Adam McKay might be a good choice, since he's got experience dealing with ensemble casts with large personalities. The action might suffer due to his lack of experience with large scale VFX movies, but unless you're doing something really novel conceptually, the action in all these superhero movies just feels like filler.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really don't want a cutaway to Lana Lang in a bathtub explaining Anti-Life.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Snyder Cut didn't need to be four hours, because that was a decision made long after shooting was done. The runtime was finalized after it was confirmed that the film would be released direct to streaming, where you have no real limit on runtime. Snyder had considered releasing it as a miniseries, and you can see that reflected in the distinct chapters.

The footage was originally shot with a three-hour theatrical release in mind. Midway through production, the studio demanded that the film be cut to under 120.

Snyder tested out various cuts, ranging from over 240 minutes to 140 minutes, before leaving the project. The most famous of these cuts was 214 minutes, or 3.5 hours.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

The theatrical cut was a dull and confusing mess.

Chris terrio talked about that in an interview, said something like "of course the film is confusing when you cut out a whole half hour of the film".

2house2fly posted:

I wish the theatrical cut had taken out the Knightmare and kept in the scenes of Clark being an investigative reporter

The knightmare scene is great because it works both as a prophetic premonition and also as a look into the character of this Batman. Also Mad Max Batman is loving awesome. But yeah I agree, if they really needed to cut so much out (they didn't) they should have axed the knightmare scene and kept in the Clark stuff.

In terms of enjoyment, anything is going to suffer by demanding excessive time commitments. Even the most engaging content can't capture a human attention span for 4 hours consistently and I think it would be a hard argument to make that every second of those 4+ hours was vital to the understanding of the movie. It gives short shrift to the integral parts of your story.

To quote Kenny Burns:

If this was a film to be showed in movie theatres, I would be more inclined to agree, but it's on streaming services, divided into 6 chapters, so one can just treat it as two different movies, or 6 episodes. Besides, the pacing in that film is excellent, it doesn't really feel like 4 hours at all. I def think the 4 hour rtuntime is to the films benefit. Personally i think a film should be just as long as it needs to be, I don't really hold to the idea that they need to be a specific runtime.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

To quote Kenny Burns:

Stephen King isn’t exactly a virtuoso prose stylist. Brevity isn’t an inherent good.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

The knightmare scene is great because it works both as a prophetic premonition and also as a look into the character of this Batman. Also Mad Max Batman is loving awesome. But yeah I agree, if they really needed to cut so much out (they didn't) they should have axed the knightmare scene and kept in the Clark stuff.

Snyder mentioned in an interview one time that if he has an idea that he likes for a movie, he just puts it in because there's no guarantee he'll ever have another chance to do it. It really explains a lot of the weird asides his movies have where it breaks away from the main plot for a while to do a cool vignette that could stand on its own as a short film but might ultimately hurt the move as a whole.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Snyder mentioned in an interview one time that if he has an idea that he likes for a movie, he just puts it in because there's no guarantee he'll ever have another chance to do it. It really explains a lot of the weird asides his movies have where it breaks away from the main plot for a while to do a cool vignette that could stand on its own as a short film but might ultimately hurt the move as a whole.

See also, the epilogue in ZSJL. I personally love Mad Max Batman, and I can't imagine losing that. Like it's such an insane idea but it works so well

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You can just take the Deathstroke/Lex scene and the Knightmare sequence as what would have been post credits sequences in a theatrical release.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Roth posted:

You can just take the Deathstroke/Lex scene and the Knightmare sequence as what would have been post credits sequences in a theatrical release.

Having the Knightmare sequence as a post credit stinger for BvS would've made for a very interesting narrative set up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I became a fan of Deathstroke after seeing his two scenes and half a dozen lines at the end of ZSJL, and am now gutted to find out he hasn't actually been in any cartoons or anything that I can see, other than a couple of video games

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

McCloud posted:

See also, the epilogue in ZSJL. I personally love Mad Max Batman, and I can't imagine losing that. Like it's such an insane idea but it works so well

I'll never stop seeing this as Zodiac Job System League.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Can you even have an interesting journey in the DC universe? Lord of the Rings works because most of the cast are just regular folk. When your cast has a mix of reality defying powers, there's not a lot you can do to keep the story from being resolved right away.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I became a fan of Deathstroke after seeing his two scenes and half a dozen lines at the end of ZSJL, and am now gutted to find out he hasn't actually been in any cartoons or anything that I can see, other than a couple of video games

He was a recurring (and the most memorable) villain in the Teen Titans cartoon, though he was just called Slade

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

2house2fly posted:

Not sure if this is a joke, but he’s in basically all the cartoons (namely Teen Titans), and also the Arrow TV show. You may need to look for Slade Wilson, though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

2house2fly posted:

He's in Teen Titans, but they just call him 'Slade' and he's voiced by Ron Perlman. He's not really a merc for hire in that version, and more of a criminal mastermind though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Can you even have an interesting journey in the DC universe? Lord of the Rings works because most of the cast are just regular folk. When your cast has a mix of reality defying powers, there's not a lot you can do to keep the story from being resolved right away.

I mean, Kingdom Come, Greek epics in the general, Gandalf is literally an angel. The answer to "what journey do you have for powerful characters" is "have them accomplish powerful feats".

DC has typically done the "huge epic" Alex Ross tone real well, and fallen on its face embarassingly when aping Marvel. Will be interesting to see what Flash is like.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roth posted:

He's in Teen Titans, but they just call him 'Slade' and he's voiced by Ron Perlman. He's not really a merc for hire in that version, and more of a criminal mastermind though.

They basically cut the bullshit and made him what the comics havebeen trying to for a while

Evil Batman

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

Which is why the characters have endured for 80 years and used in a massive variety of stories, tones, and reinterpretations?

Burkion posted:

They basically cut the bullshit and made him what the comics havebeen trying to for a while

Evil Batman

Yeah, I think he's probably the best version of the character.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Practically every member of the Justice league had a story arc that was independent of their ability to punch things hard, and and overcame (or were in the process of overcoming) their various hang ups and problems, with the help of each other. And as others said, their chief opponent was the literal god of evil. Hell, even his deadbeat uncle was enough to stalemate them

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The closest Marvel analogue to someone like Superman, Aquaman, or Wonder Woman is probably Thor, and they handle it primarily by telling stories where he loses his godlike power and has to get it back.

Thor 1: Loses his hammer and is exiled to Earth until he becomes worthy of his power again.
Thor 3: Loses his hammer and is exiled to Garbage Planet until he learns that the power was inside him all along.
Infinity War: Loses his people and is exiled to the Guardians of the Galaxy until he's able to forge a new hammer and regain his power.
Endgame: Loses his will to fight and is exiled to depression until he can make amends with the family he failed to protect, and then regains his power.
Thor 4: If it's anything like the comics, he becomes unworthy of his power and it goes to Natalie Portman instead.

Iron Man is quite similar to Batman and Cyborg, but they intentionally downplay the ramifications of what he could do for the world - his invention of unlimited free energy is used to power his skyscraper in the first Avengers movie, and then never mentioned again.

As a Flash parallel, Quicksilver in the X-Men movies is treated appropriately as an I Win button most of the time, until the movie needs to show how strong the villain is by having them disable him somehow.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Robot Style posted:

As a Flash parallel, Quicksilver in the X-Men movies is treated appropriately as an I Win button most of the time, until the movie needs to show how strong the villain is by having them disable him somehow.

I love in Apocalypse that it is shown that Quicksilver could almost instantly end the movie, but they have him trip, Apocalypse breaks his ankle, and he just goes away for the rest of the movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Lord of the Rings works because most of the cast are just regular folk.
This seems extremely not true. Hobbits alone are basically the "regular folk" brushing against a world of secret kings and epic warriors and Godlike Angel Things and demons and monsters and stuff.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I love in Apocalypse that it is shown that Quicksilver could almost instantly end the movie, but they have him trip, Apocalypse breaks his ankle, and he just goes away for the rest of the movie.
Speaking of, I'm rewatching the Justice League cartoon series and (at least) in the first two seasons, Flash is severely underpowered and inconsistent. They barely have him do anything, and sometimes he's running only about as fast as a car. Occasionally they throw him a bone and have him disarm a bunch of soldiers or grab a bomb and run it far away, but for the most part he's a moron who doesn't use his true potential much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah he generally just runs around ineffectively then trips on something. They do give him more to do later though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xealot posted:

WW84 is the only DC movie I feel the way most people seem to feel about every DC movie. An absolute tonal mess, making odd and confusing choices that capsize any investment I may have had in the story or character. Though I guess Suicide Squad flies pretty close to that, too.

I'm thoroughly in the camp that BvS is far more good than bad, though. It's very coherent on a character and thematic level, and has an actual argument about the characters at its core. At this point, I'm convinced that the main reason people hate it is because they're precious about Batman, who is rightfully depicted as an insane, violent psychopath fueled by trauma.

I didnt like it bc I thought it was exceptionally dull. Aquaman is a rollicking sea adventure. The original Batman isnt that great either imo. Have faint positive memories of its sequel but maybe that'll be undone if I rewatch it.

If Batman was a pure psycho in BvS I think I'd like it more but theres that exceptionally awkward swerve to make him good again at the end

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Batman 89 is cool because when the Joker menaces him as Bruce Wayne he acts psycho and says "COME ON LET'S GET NUTS!!!!" and then when he catches up to the Joker as Batman he says "I'm going to kill you" and then kills him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol.

the only Batflick that has any nuance towards the character is Batman Mask of the Phantasm and Batman '66.