Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Takuan posted:

Hi this is my first time following sumo and I can see why Hakuho is the best. He looks like he's on a whole other level than his opponents so far. I understand he's on the verge of retiring, so I'm curious how the Hakuho I've seen so far compares to his prime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HugWtB0Zkzk start here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HuMcn8gs0 and here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

So far he's looking pretty solid. But imagine a wrestler looking that solid for like, 10 years straight. I feel like sometimes he would just do whatever his opponent was best at, but better than them, just because he could.

His footwork is incredible. He's never out of place.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kenning posted:

If you wanna come in late put in a draft. It'll be like coming back from kyujo on day 4. Maybe preserve a bit of rank!
Thanks for that opportunity. I think instead I'm going to hand in my retirement papers. Being concerned about rank really changes the anxiety/enjoyment ratio for me. Thanks for organizing everything though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I relish the idea of relegation. Join me in my plummet!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Takuan posted:

Hi this is my first time following sumo and I can see why Hakuho is the best. He looks like he's on a whole other level than his opponents so far. I understand he's on the verge of retiring, so I'm curious how the Hakuho I've seen so far compares to his prime?

Watch those clips, then try this one- Hakuho taking on the currently injured Ozeki Takakeisho. He spends some time playing with him and then...well you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WWreGfXTU&t=174s

He gives arguably the best pusher-thruster today a literal free shot at him, with time to wind up and prepare. After easily handling the load Hakuho decides to show what real pushing and thrusting looks like.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I think just reading a list of his achievements and records goes a long way to putting into perspective how good the guy is. He is historically, absurdly good and in his prime he was practically unbeatable.

There's that recent video of him only a couple of months ago making takakeisho look comically impotent. A broken down yokozuna making a young, powerful ozeki look completely ineffectual. It's just mind blowing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Sub Rosa posted:

Thanks for that opportunity. I think instead I'm going to hand in my retirement papers. Being concerned about rank really changes the anxiety/enjoyment ratio for me. Thanks for organizing everything though.

You could do fantasy without doing the goonzuke thing man, just ask kenning!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Terunofuji's bag of tricks must be huge. That arm pulldown ruled

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah I did not see that coming. He was so low I figured he’d get slapped down.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

net work error posted:

Terunofuji's bag of tricks must be huge. That arm pulldown ruled

Chinook posted:

Yeah I did not see that coming. He was so low I figured he’d get slapped down.

Took me until the slow-mo replay to realise what was happening. Really cool win.

Takanosho you're really hurting me here, buddy :( hopefully after you're done getting ground out by the sanyaku you'll have a better time

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Thanks to everyone that provided recommendations. I haven't had time to watch the compilations yet, but this

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Watch those clips, then try this one- Hakuho taking on the currently injured Ozeki Takakeisho. He spends some time playing with him and then...well you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WWreGfXTU&t=174s

He gives arguably the best pusher-thruster today a literal free shot at him, with time to wind up and prepare. After easily handling the load Hakuho decides to show what real pushing and thrusting looks like.

This rocked.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Takuan posted:

Thanks to everyone that provided recommendations. I haven't had time to watch the compilations yet, but this

This rocked.

for some more perspective on just how stupidly strong these guys are, go to 2m50s of this video and watch a guy who looks like he has spent a loving long time in the gym try and push a sumo in practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQpgXjh18vg

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

I think just reading a list of his achievements and records goes a long way to putting into perspective how good the guy is. He is historically, absurdly good and in his prime he was practically unbeatable.

Yeah, I know thread regulars are bored of this, but for newbies Hakuhou's numbers are absolutely ridiculous.

Just for an easy thing to look at as far as a "peak," since that was the original question, look at the tournaments from January 2007 through July 2015, in between his first two real injuries. He doesn't miss a match that entire time, for 8.5 years. He wins the tournament or is runner up 48 times, for all but 3 of those 51 tournaments. He goes undefeated for 30+ match streaks multiple times, with his longest undefeated streak at 63 matches in a row.

Even though that's his peak, he's won the tournament another 9 times after the above period, which is about the number of championships total for an average yokozuna in the modern era. His 44 total championships are 12 above the #2 all-time, so Hakuhou's career is kind of like taking the #2 all-time's career and tacking an entire other guy's career on top of it, if that other guy had also achieved the pinnacle of the sport.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Scythe posted:

with his longest undefeated streak at 63 matches in a row.

this is a number that really staggers me. sumo is one of those sports where so much can go wrong you can lose almost entirely to bad luck or the other dude just was totally on that day. hakuho fought the very best sumo on the planet and didn't lose for over four entire tournaments. that is just mind bending.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Okay, gonna get the day's results out first and then deal with thread business. Some absolutely beautiful sumo today. Hokutofuji vs. Mitakeumi, Hoshoryu vs. Okinoumi, Terunofuji vs. Takanosho were all fantastic. Also great to see Hakuho out there just, being him again.

Day 3 standings

Makuuchi

code:
11	bartolimu
11	Skjorte
10	captainblastum
10	Everyones Favorite Poster
10	Lid
10	MyChemicalImbalance
10	scripterror
9	Beeswax
9	Brut
9	Fluffdaddy
9	GoatSeeGuy
9	jmzero
9	Kenning
9	Pakled
9	QuasiQuack
9	Teddybear
8	bessantj
8	Charles Gnarwin
8	Maigius
8	MalarkeyToboggan
8	Neodoomium
8	Scythe
8	Shiroc
8	Thauros
8	Vargatron
8	whats for dinner
7	Banana Canada
7	Cage Kicker
7	Chinook
7	Crusty Nutsack
7	Dias
7	Helianthus Annuus
7	Ice Phisherman
7	Jobbo_Fett
7	Khizan
7	Marching Powder
7	ratmosphere
7	sivad
7	Tiny Bug Child
6	Biosys
6	Liquid Communism
6	pseudodragon
6	Robviously
6	Tochiazuma
5	anakha
Juryo

code:
9	Eli949
9	LlamaTrauma
8	Halloween Jack
8	TwoWordName
7	Bellwether
7	KungFu Grip
7	Netsky
7	NuclearPotato
7	rare Magic card l00k
6	Communist Thoughts
6	Log082
6	Martytoof
5	Foehammer007
4	Glugglugs
4	ilmucche

Kenning fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 7, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

drat a pretty brutal day of losses for my fantasy rikishi.

How do we know who we got if we traded out for poor taka?
Broke his drat neck in the ring

Oh right, I forgot we usually haven't done trades like this. Everyone got their 1st choice except Martytoof, who got their second choice. That means Brut got Shodai, Martytoof got Hakuho, and everyone else who traded that day got Teru.

All of the trades have been registered for day 4 for the 3 players who still had Takakeisho. Everyone got Hakuho.

Sub Rosa posted:

Marching Powder posted:

You could do fantasy without doing the goonzuke thing man, just ask kenning!

Oh no, sorry the goonzuke made things stressful. As Marching Powder said, I'm happy to record your fantasy results without putting you on the goonzuke. But no worries if it's not for you anymore too.

Vargatron posted:

I'm definitely working through a title hangover this basho. Hopefully I'll start evening up after the first third and I don't end up like Tokushoryu!!

You spent too much time partying with your supporters club.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think this was the first okay day for me but day 2 was a 4-point day so I guess it wasn't too bad either. Good to see Hakuho being a beast. Also after asking me a buncha questions about sumo because I told her I watched it when we met, my GF finally watched a basho day with me. She 1) was having trouble getting over the massive asses and 2) actually really liked it, especially the end of day 1 and that throw. Ah, she also thought all the rikishi looked really sad.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

looks like should've gone with my usual high maegashira choice of hokotufuji so far but i;m hoping daieisho recovers once he's past the sanyaku

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It’s good to have a day where all my fantasy pics win their matches. Don’t think I’m going to get that lucky for the rest of the basho with the crop I’ve picked out, so I will enjoy the jump from back of the pack to solidly midfield in the rankings while I can.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

There's that recent video of him only a couple of months ago making takakeisho look comically impotent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAk61VYyjZM

It's the December 2020 practice sessions, and Hakuho just absolutely loving manhandles Takakeisho. It doesn't look like ozeki versus yokozuna, it looks like four-year old versus dad.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ISTG this has been the worst streak I've ever been in. This is how many bashos in a row now that I've been bottom 5?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

anakha posted:

ISTG this has been the worst streak I've ever been in. This is how many bashos in a row now that I've been bottom 5?

You were second-last in Natsu and last in Haru, but you got 3rd place in Hatsu! That's not so bad.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hakuho looked more like himself today. I'm looking forward to a day 15 where both he and Terunofuji are 14-0 and Hakuho pulls his final, most glorious henka.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Shiroc posted:

Hakuho looked more like himself today. I'm looking forward to a day 15 where both he and Terunofuji are 14-0 and Hakuho pulls his final, most glorious henka.

I knew I wanted a day 15 with Hakuho and Terunofuji at 14-0. But now I know what the ending needs to be :pray:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shiroc posted:

You might as well just dissolve the JSA at that point, it would be the perfection of sumo. I want it so bad.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 7, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No, it's gotta be the Harumafuji non-henka so that the validity of the finish can be argued until time immemorial, much like the question of whether Jordan pushed off in 1998.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its going to be another henka

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think if Terunofuji and Hakuho went into day 15 both on 14-0 and Hakuho won you'd have a good chance of seeing Terunofuji promoted to yokozuna.

Also I'm pleased for Ichiyamamoto he was a bit of a surprise promotion but he's hanging with the top guys.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 7, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

anakha posted:

No, it's gotta be the Harumafuji non-henka so that the validity of the finish can be argued until time immemorial, much like the question of whether Jordan pushed off in 1998.

Neko damashi into a Hamfu half henka. Or a repeat of his Kisenosato henka.

bessantj posted:

I think if Terunofuji and Hakuho went into day 15 both on 14-0 and Hakuho won you'd have a good chance of seeing Terunofuji promoted to yokozuna.

Dude has 3 yushos and 2 jun-yusho in the last year. If they don't promote with at least a solid jun yusho, it'd seem churlish.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The JSA? Act churlish? No way. :v:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

unfortunately teru has a crippling handicap (foreign)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Teru's been acting quite grumpy the past few days, with the extra shoves and everything. :lol: at the JSA if Hak retires and Teru gets promoted only to pick up the same attitude.

Hak knows he got away with one today, especially with the missed hairpull.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Teru's kainahineri took me back to seeing Russian wrestlers pull off a tie snap so good it bounced the other guy's face off the mat. Takanoshou just did the exactly wrong thing with his feet in that situation.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Great last 2 matches there though I think the ref really got in the way there in the first one

Some excellent footwork in both though

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Like I’ve been saying that window for beating Terunofuji is there but it seems to be so razor thin these days. Daiesho had him reeling but didn’t push at the exact right moment and then the kaiju just reversed momentum immediately. I think he looks better than Hakuho so far this basho.

Speaking of Hak, that look on his face after pulling off the win was great. Just the wily veteran making one final go and pulling out wins that aren’t just bulldozing.

Shodai returning to unfocused doofus Shodai is a great turn of events.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's always 50-50 with Shodai, I think he's just gonna turn into another Goeido and keep scraping kadoban by the skin of his teeth all the time

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 4 with some great bouts. Very hype.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Day 4 question:

watching Ura - Kagayaki, and see that Ura is waaaay back from the line for the tachi-ai. pretty new to watching, so how uncommon is this?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Iron Chef Nex posted:

Day 4 question:

watching Ura - Kagayaki, and see that Ura is waaaay back from the line for the tachi-ai. pretty new to watching, so how uncommon is this?

I think it's a personal choice, Takayasu sometimes stands a fair bit back too. Perhaps they feel they have more time to react to what the other guy is doing. Obviously it comes with its own risks - it is closer to the edge of the ring after all, and the other guy will have more free space behind them on the taichiai. The vast majority for the most part tend to stand closer to the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hakuho's expressions after his day 4 match were amazing. I love that man.