Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The "Martha" thing has been done to death and it is pretty dumb.

But, I think the underrated silly turn for Batman is the end where it turns out that Batman was completely right to be a paranoid crazy person, but he just directed his paranoid craziness at the wrong person!

And then his work creating a death spear was the only thing that saves the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The "Martha" thing has been done to death and it is pretty dumb.

But, I think the underrated silly turn for Batman is the end where it turns out that Batman was completely right to be a paranoid crazy person, but he just directed his paranoid craziness at the wrong person!

And then his work creating a death spear was the only thing that saves the day.

If he'd have just killed Luthor instead of trying to kill Superman there never would have been a Doomsday!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That isn't silly; it's correct to be paranoid and crazy about the rich

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Someone could definitely make a good 2 hour Justice League movie, but I don't think Zack Snyder could. His version of the universe is more mythologized and epic (in the tradition of stuff like Ben-Hur or Cleopatra), so kind of necessitates a longer runtime as part of the storytelling method. The HBO Max version of the movie probably helped to offset the time commitment by adding chapter breaks, but people will binge entire seasons of television in one day so it may not be necessary.

If you want a good, short Justice League movie, someone like Adam McKay might be a good choice, since he's got experience dealing with ensemble casts with large personalities. The action might suffer due to his lack of experience with large scale VFX movies, but unless you're doing something really novel conceptually, the action in all these superhero movies just feels like filler.

Its interesting you brought up Ben Hur in that its fairly focused on Ben Hur's journey with the odd scene focusing on his antagonists, the Romans and his ostensible brother.

Even there there's space to cut mostly the Jesus Christ stuff

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Freakazoid_ posted:

Lord of the Rings works because most of the cast are just regular folk.
It's me, Frumpo, with my normal friends "Actual Angel Wizard", "Snow-Walking Long Life Archer", "Human Master of Ghosts King" and "Rabid Axe Tinyguy"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I didnt like it bc I thought it was exceptionally dull. Aquaman is a rollicking sea adventure. The original Batman isnt that great either imo. Have faint positive memories of its sequel but maybe that'll be undone if I rewatch it.
Batman Returns is genuinely a really fun movie and probably peak grotesque Burton. Michelle Pfeiffer's performance is great. It's definitely worth a rewatch and I say that as someone who does generally get bummed when Batman kills.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

2house2fly posted:

Bruce Wayne is the only good rich person because he's batshit insane for reasons unrelated to being rich.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just remembered the take that people had that Batman should just invest his money and crimefighting gadgets in the GCPD.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bruce Wayne is the only good rich person because he's batshit insane for reasons unrelated to being rich.

Nah, poor people have their parents murdered in alleys all the time and they just become regular poor people later. Batman’s fixation is on crime having Gone Too Far by killing his rich philanthropist dad and sexy mom

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Roth posted:

I just remembered the take that people had that Batman should just invest his money and crimefighting gadgets in the GCPD.

:eyepop:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Batman Returns is genuinely a really fun movie and probably peak grotesque Burton. Michelle Pfeiffer's performance is great. It's definitely worth a rewatch and I say that as someone who does generally get bummed when Batman kills.

It's the best performance in a superhero movie ever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Bruce Wayne’s whole deal is that he’s both an absurdly powerful man and extremely easy to manipulate.

“Hey Bruce let’s get all-you-can-eat sushi.”
“No, I feel like buying this pizza factory.”
“Is that what your father would have wanted, Bruce?”

[Next scene: Batman assaults The Slicer, a pizza-themed jewel thief who reminds him of his younger self.]

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LesterGroans posted:

It's the best performance in a superhero movie ever.

While amazing...

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Roth posted:

The comic Batman: White Knight makes this argument and it's terrible. That's the alternate universe comic where The Joker cures himself of his Jokeritis and becomes a politician campaigning for "police reform" but the reform he's talking about is that all of the cops should have their own bat-tanks and bat-armor.

It was really stupid.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Flying Zamboni posted:

The comic Batman: White Knight makes this argument and it's terrible. That's the alternate universe comic where The Joker cures himself of his Jokeritis and becomes a politician campaigning for "police reform" but the reform he's talking about is that all of the cops should have their own bat-tanks and bat-armor.

It was really stupid.

I avoided that mini specifically because I saw the premise and went "That sounds like garbage" and turns out I made the right call

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The funny thing is that Gotham Police have a 0% fatality rate in the movies and TV series, whereas Batman has a >0% rate.

I don't think Gotham police has ever killed anyone or actually successfully prosecuted someone. Even in the Nolan movies, when they beef up the Gotham PD and go on a spree to stamp out crime, they just break up some mafia card games and every one of them ends up back on the street anyway.

And during their brawl with Bane's goons, they are armed with only billy clubs.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The funny thing is that Gotham Police have a 0% fatality rate in the movies and TV series, whereas Batman has a >0% rate.

I don't think Gotham police has ever killed anyone or actually successfully prosecuted someone. Even in the Nolan movies, when they beef up the Gotham PD and go on a spree to stamp out crime, they just break up some mafia card games and every one of them ends up back on the street anyway.

I think Robin kills a couple people.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

2house2fly posted:

Batman never sleeps so he can keep an eye on that Bruce Wayne fella.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

That's kind of the point of the end of the movie though in TDKR. it's the platonic ideal of the police* vs the militarized police. That's them in their redemption.

*yea I know

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Shageletic posted:

lol.

the only Batflick that has any nuance towards the character is Batman Mask of the Phantasm and Batman '66.

This is just nostalgia poisoning

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's kind of the point of the end of the movie though in TDKR. it's the platonic ideal of the police* vs the militarized police. That's them in their redemption.

*yea I know

Both the police and batman undergo rebirths in a pit. It's funny how Nolan snuck the Lazarus pit in, twice

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

This is just nostalgia poisoning

Both the police and batman undergo rebirths in a pit. It's funny how Nolan snuck the Lazarus pit in, twice
Three times! It''s where Ra's achieves immortality because it's where his kid is born.

It's so wonderfully silly, I love it.

EDIT: Also, I think Batman is a character who has been surprisingly nuanced on film with both Nolan and Snyder being straight up critical of the concept.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 7, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Three times! It''s where Ra's achieves immortality because it's where his kid is born.

It's so wonderfully silly, I love it.

EDIT: Also, I think Batman is a character who has been surprisingly nuanced on film with both Nolan and Snyder being straight up critical of the concept.

Agreed, which is why i find it laughable someone tries to argue with a straight face that the most one-dimensional and campy version somehow has the most nuance

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

It's me, Frumpo, with my normal friends "Actual Angel Wizard", "Snow-Walking Long Life Archer", "Human Master of Ghosts King" and "Rabid Axe Tinyguy"

BMX Bandit died when he went insane and tried to do anything by himself

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Semi-related bonus entry, courtesy of the Russo Bros:

Lol. Sorry.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Clearly someone in charge went "If you run out of things to say, just say it's like The Godfather."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair to Shortland, in the actual interview she just talks about how it's a movie that builds good suspense so she really felt the influence of the movie on her when she shot suspenseful scenes. The title is just hyperbolic clickbait.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

teagone posted:

Lol. Sorry.

Need to add "Winter Soldier is a 70's spy thriller"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's nothing wrong with saying you're inspired or influenced by a certain movie - it's probably a bigger red flag if a genre filmmaker is ignorant of what other movies are doing, or think that all their ideas are completely original.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Robot Style posted:

There's nothing wrong with saying you're inspired or influenced by a certain movie - it's probably a bigger red flag if a genre filmmaker is ignorant of what other movies are doing, or think that all their ideas are completely original.

I said this in the CineD discord and on Twitter, but my fascination is with the weirdly pushy narrative that happens during the marketing blitz for Marvel movies where its implied that they're something more than generic blockbuster fare by citing "real" cinema or whatever dumb metric is used to gauge commercial entertainment.

I agree, there's absolutely nothing wrong with citing influences... but imagine the uproar if Zack Snyder said anything remotely close to what the Russo Bros wrote in their Cherry blurb, lmao.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

I said this in the CineD discord and on Twitter, but my fascination is with the weirdly pushy narrative that happens during the marketing blitz for Marvel movies where its implied that they're something more than generic blockbuster fare by citing "real" cinema or whatever dumb metric is used to gauge commercial entertainment.

I agree, there's absolutely nothing wrong with citing influences... but imagine the uproar if Zack Snyder said anything remotely close to what the Russo Bros wrote in their Cherry blurb, lmao.

You need to read some more Zack Snyder press runs or his description of Atlas Shrugged.

There's nothing really wrong with Snyder doing it, either. "X is just like [famous] Y" is the most basic form of promotion.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

You need to read some more Zack Snyder press runs or his description of Atlas Shrugged.
Has Snyder discussed Atlas Shrugged? He likes the Fountainhead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's nothing really wrong with Snyder doing it, either. "X is just like [famous] Y" is the most basic form of promotion.

You mean Fountainhead, and Snyder thinks Ayn Rand is a mediocre author. I've never read anything as pretentious as that crap from the Russo Bros ever written by another director talking about (or in the Russo Bros case, justifying) their work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

You mean Fountainhead, and Snyder thinks Ayn Rand is a mediocre author. I've never read anything as pretentious as that crap from the Russo Bros ever written by another director talking about (or in the Russo Bros case, justifying) their work.

This is pretty pretentious:

quote:

In making Justice League, Snyder compared himself to Howard Roark, the intractable protagonist of The Fountainhead, “only we said yes. We compromised. We’re the least Roarkian filmmakers ever. And that’s fine. That’s reality. To me, it’s like, if you’re a filmmaker, you sort of understand if you’re looking at it from that lens, building a building (the subject of The Fountainhead) and making a movie are very similar. You’re making little compromises constantly. Maybe one story less, and it’ll be very good. Does it really need all those fancy window frames? Maybe just make the windows. You wanted a mansion, and you end up with something that sort of looks like a house.

quote:

For me, that’s always what The Fountainhead was about. For a lot of people, it’s a big political thing, but for me it’s not so much about that. I'm in no rush to finish the project, but the time isn't right at this moment. The politics are too heated and most people won't be able to take a holistic look at the art like I do. It's very political.

quote:

It’s a book that is so politically charged, that we need a more liberal government to do The Fountainhead so that everyone won’t freak out or something.

quote:

Deborah Snyder, who partnered with her husband on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, says the Knightmare scene was meant to invoke aesthetics from Ben-Hur.

quote:

Fountainhead’ right now is on the back burner, I don’t know how that movie gets made, at least not right away. We need a less divided country and a little more liberal government to make that movie, so people don’t react to it in a certain way. It's a shame. I've always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my mother (rest in peace) once told me that one of her favourite books was Atlas Shrugged and she was someone that routinely voted for leftist politicians, always made sure everyone was enjoying themselves during parties and get togethers, never did a drat thing just for herself.

does that make my mother an Objectivist just because she liked that one book?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aces High posted:

my mother (rest in peace) once told me that one of her favourite books was Atlas Shrugged and she was someone that routinely voted for leftist politicians, always made sure everyone was enjoying themselves during parties and get togethers, never did a drat thing just for herself.

does that make my mother an Objectivist just because she liked that one book?

No, but if your mother said that describing The Godfather as "a movie with good pacing" and that your goal was to make a movie with good pacing, like the The Godfather, is a ridiculously pretentious statement and then also unironically said all those other things, I would wonder what their definition of pretentious was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

In what way is it pretentious?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

How is that pretentious? He's talking about he likes the book for its relevence to artists, and how he compromised on JL. That's not really pretentious

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FilthyImp posted:

In what way is it pretentious?

I don't really think it is that pretentious, but someone saying they wanted their film to be "like The Godfather" because they wanted it to have good pacing doesn't really strike me as much worse than saying Batman v. Superman was meant to invoke Ben-Hur or "It's a shame that I can't make this movie because most people don't get the art like I do and will just get angry about the politics."

That weird outburst and posting of several images from years-old article headlines didn't seem to be prompted by any news or anything and just felt out of nowhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 8, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I mean, it's different because one instance actually understands the comparative material(s) while the other was reaching for a Film of Note to homeopathically bestow merit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’m not exactly sure how stating you tried to invoke the aesthetics of Ben-Hur for one sequence in your film is in any way pretentious.