Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
from some of the campaign spoilers in Okoii’s most recent video I think this DLC is a direct lead up to the events of warhammer 3. all the way up to quest battles against demonic forces (no demon units but khorngors I bet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i assume they learned some kind of lesson from the Norsca debacle.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

i assume they learned some kind of lesson from the Norsca debacle.

We know they did, if for no other reason than because the preorder race for 3 isn't available in 2.

I hope I'm wrong about the release date, and that it'll launch in good shape this year. I guess so many other games facing delays and/or botched releases recently just has me pessimistic in general, but it's true that building a third game off the work done in the first two should hopefully put them in a stronger position than a lot of other games with big problems.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

We know they did, if for no other reason than because the preorder race for 3 isn't available in 2.

If the preorder race is Ogres, then they found a nifty way of making them available in 2 without actually making them available.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I was debating a Dwarf/Greenskins as my next campaign to play as I've not tried either. The new Dwarf rework settles that for me (though I hear Orkz are in a great place right now) - anyone have any suggestions on the most interesting/fun LL or campaign to do?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In regards to the concept of "defensive armies," my exception to them as Empire is keeping one around to protect Marienburg and the northern coast from Norsca and Rakarth. Because gently caress actually going there to put them down and eating attrition while their other armies sneak around your invading force. They can come and die on the shores of the Empire all day long.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They did the unique campaigns in WH1 with woodelves and beastmen, nobody liked them or played them much and they charged a extra 10$ for the time spent on the map nobody played.

I liked them but Rome 2 and Attila had much better smaller campaigns.

Warhammer is the perfect scenario for smaller campaigns, they just need to be...interesting.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Communist Thoughts posted:

I want them to rush ham3 out the door so we can get to the ogres faster

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

In regards to the concept of "defensive armies," my exception to them as Empire is keeping one around to protect Marienburg and the northern coast from Norsca and Rakarth. Because gently caress actually going there to put them down and eating attrition while their other armies sneak around your invading force. They can come and die on the shores of the Empire all day long.

Last Reikland campaign I thought “what if I just leave those bastards to it” and ignored Marienburg completely. Worked out surprisingly well, various annoying north factions far too busy beating up each other to even bother declaring war on me.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 13, 2021

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Does anyone have some experience with Drycha campaign? I'm feeling kind of aimless in my current one, I've secured the whole province that borders her starting Gryphon Wood on the East/South and have now finished off Mannfred and Vlad. I don't have any active wars with anyone around me anymore. It's around turn 60 and I'm thinking I should have been off using Deeproots to do... something else instead of fighting a mini hellwar with the VCounts. I've looked at some "first 20 turns" style guides which usually end before getting to where I am.

Mostly I'm wondering around what turn should I be using Deeproots to move Drycha's army somewhere else? And where to? Should I be killing the other wood elf factions and taking their forests?

Also having not played a bunch of Wood Elf before, is it normal to only have one army for a while? I'm feeling particularly pinched economically between the race's weird building mechanics and fairly expensive, elite roster.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't know, I find Marienburg is one of the easiest places to defend as soon as you get walls. The money is too good to ignore too. I don't even bother completing the province, the city itself makes bank. Once those walls are up you're set and it takes like 2+ full stacks to get you out of there. Great choke points on that map and you can usually just recruit Gotrek and Felix to defend it when you see them coming.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, Marienburg is cool but I also generally leave the rest of the regions in that provinces to the Nordlanders or Middenlanders. I do keep Grung Zint though, for the marble resource. Finally, it's not necessarily an army meant to sit in Marienburg, I will have it assist in nearby areas, and especially Bretonnia because those dudes can actually make decent headway towards loving up the Norscans.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

My last playthrough as Empire I made a decent bit of gold out of keeping an army in the Wasteland just from the number of Dark Elf and Norscan armies I ambushed. Any time it got quiet for too long I'd go sack a couple Norscan settlements.

Drycha provided the same service, the independent empire factions could never finish her off so every once in a while I'd go sack her tree for a ton of gold.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

"The Warhammer 2 launch was rough..."

I mean it's been 5 years, so I have largely forgotten specifics about a video game launch, but I don't recall thinking WH2 had a bad one. I do remember not liking the Vortex and shelving the game until the ME came out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sasgrillo posted:

"The Warhammer 2 launch was rough..."

I mean it's been 5 years, so I have largely forgotten specifics about a video game launch, but I don't recall thinking WH2 had a bad one. I do remember not liking the Vortex and shelving the game until the ME came out.

That would be called a rough launch.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Brings it full circle back to the Norsca disaster that delayed everything.

That and in the Vortex campaign it didn't take people long to realize that the "vortex race" you were involved in you didn't actually have to do anything and the final battle and battles to prevent others from winning were literally so easy you could afk and come back to a heroic victory.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Lots and lots of units mysteriously losing 2 melee attack is due to them having frenzy, which is getting buffed by 2 melee attack and now also boosts AP damage. (For anyone briefly mystified like I was)

The minor nerf to Depth Guard in particular had me pretty baffled.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

That would be called a rough launch.

Also people have forgotten how long turn times were before CA cast some sort of magic spell of haste on them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Also people have forgotten how long turn times were before CA cast some sort of magic spell of haste on them.

Yeah. Honestly for me that is when ME really became viable. Prior to that I just played Vortex for the faster campaigns. Dealing with the Vortex itself wasn't bad either, and parts of the map are much better in Vortex too.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Brings it full circle back to the Norsca disaster that delayed everything.

That and in the Vortex campaign it didn't take people long to realize that the "vortex race" you were involved in you didn't actually have to do anything and the final battle and battles to prevent others from winning were literally so easy you could afk and come back to a heroic victory.

whenever i play a vortex i pretend that it actually matters, and it makes it more fun that way

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

bean mom posted:

whenever i play a vortex i pretend that it actually matters, and it makes it more fun that way

Yeah it was fun the first time around, but after discovering the stakes were imaginary it lost some luster.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
pretty brazen how much of the patch content is based on mods.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah they definitely forgot to add the skill tree changes into the patch notes. I mean, it happens, and this patch is huuuuuuge, so it's understandable.

Mando's concerns are valid, and gently caress do I love how he always manages to bring potential issues to light in a fair, objective, and constructive fashion. He's an excellent reviewer. There's so many content creators on YouTube who sensationalize and catastrophize everything for views, but Mando never does. Legend.

I never get tired of watching Jabberslythes belly flop into infantry. They're just so happy to be there!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Muscle Wizard posted:

A good idea is a good idea, and there’s nothing that says two people can’t have it simultaneously. They give shout-outs to the kidders they’ve displaced - what else would you expect them to do?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

While it sucks for the modders, I genuinely think it's good if studios rip off the best ideas from their mod community and put them in the game. Ideally they get enough credit (or even compensation) that it doesn't destroy the willingness of modders to continue making mods, but a lot of the bigger modders already have patreons where they're getting money for working with the game CA made, so I don't think it's too unfair.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I just finished up a VH Nakai campaign and oh my, what a refreshing change of pace from the usual empire management.

Just wander around Lustria as you like, turning over all the settlement stuff to the AI. Some jerk kicking off and beating up your AI buddy? Stop by when you're next in the area and Nakai plus his punchcroc pals will leisurely and unstoppably amble straight over their armies, their T5 settlements, everything. In the rare event you take some casualties? Why, simply buy some blessed carnosaur replacements with your piles of OldOneBux!

It owns.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

While it sucks for the modders, I genuinely think it's good if studios rip off the best ideas from their mod community and put them in the game. Ideally they get enough credit (or even compensation) that it doesn't destroy the willingness of modders to continue making mods, but a lot of the bigger modders already have patreons where they're getting money for working with the game CA made, so I don't think it's too unfair.

It was pretty funny when GCCM had island battles working like a month before CA put theirs out. Which I think was just unfortunate timing rather than any hostility.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Muscle Wizard posted:

I don't really see it as being based on mods. There are only so many units and characters in Warhammer lore and many of them are pretty obvious picks. Of course CA is going to add a lot of this stuff in eventually, even if modders got to it first.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Aurubin posted:

It was pretty funny when GCCM had island battles working like a month before CA put theirs out. Which I think was just unfortunate timing rather than any hostility.

I so wish GCCM had a way to toggle off specific maps. I like some of them but others are just so, so bad.

The Moot map alone keeps me from using it just because fights there are so common and that's not even the worst in the pack.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Aurubin posted:

yeah if you aren't gonna put naval battles in then island battles are a no brainer on a map with this much water, really they were just correcting the mistake they made at launch by adding them in

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sinteres posted:

While it sucks for the modders
The idea that there’s this adversarial thing between devs & modders is really silly.

There are modders who desire the e-fame and might throw a hissy fit over it. But generally modders will think it’s awesome that they influenced the game’s development.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

rideANDxORdie posted:

Does anyone have some experience with Drycha campaign? I'm feeling kind of aimless in my current one, I've secured the whole province that borders her starting Gryphon Wood on the East/South and have now finished off Mannfred and Vlad. I don't have any active wars with anyone around me anymore. It's around turn 60 and I'm thinking I should have been off using Deeproots to do... something else instead of fighting a mini hellwar with the VCounts. I've looked at some "first 20 turns" style guides which usually end before getting to where I am.

Mostly I'm wondering around what turn should I be using Deeproots to move Drycha's army somewhere else? And where to? Should I be killing the other wood elf factions and taking their forests?

Also having not played a bunch of Wood Elf before, is it normal to only have one army for a while? I'm feeling particularly pinched economically between the race's weird building mechanics and fairly expensive, elite roster.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJplBJhmOLftynRO9ewn3Qr8CDok4-Ju6

watch some of that

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Dramicus posted:

Ohh I definitely remember. I bounced off the game pretty hard because at the time it took a full minute of waiting for AI turns. Learning the game with that much delay every turn was suffering.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Raygereio posted:

The idea that there’s this adversarial thing between devs & modders is really silly.

There are modders who desire the e-fame and might throw a hissy fit over it. But generally modders will think it’s awesome that they influenced the game’s development.

The main one I can think of who seems to have a somewhat adversarial relationship with CA is Venris from SFO, but I feel like at least some of that might be marketing where he's saying see this is why you need to support my patreon because the base game is meh.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Sinteres posted:

The main one I can think of who seems to have a somewhat adversarial relationship with CA is Venris from SFO, but I feel like at least some of that might be marketing where he's saying see this is why you need to support my patreon because the base game is meh.

It absolutely is. This conversation was almost definitely started as a troll anyways - a good idea is a good idea and if the devs said "hey, that's a better version than what we were thinking of", then everyone wins with it coming out. The modder can make a note of it if they want to use it to pad their resume to apply to the industry/within industry, the whole community gets a good system/idea that has full company backing and support, and the modder can move on to new ideas without feeling like they need to update a mod all the time now.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

rideANDxORdie posted:

Does anyone have some experience with Drycha campaign?
Kick the poo poo out of the wood elves in Athel Loren and take the oak of ages asap.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

In my Drycha playthrough I took Laurelorn forest first and then when I did the quest to confederate Durthu he gave me two stacks near Athel Loren that I couldn't afford to keep, so at that moment I just committed everything to elf war

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Yeah, if you slog through Athel Loren it rewards you with an insane income.

My hype play through tonight is Throg with the goal of forming an alliance with Drycha. We're gonna be the new Vlad and Izzy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's funny because Venris straight up starts his favorite Patreon post, which is about the SFO patching process whenever the base game gets updated and thus a helpful one to point to whenever someone goes Update When??, with a sentence that goes "buy the DLC and support CA."

SFO fans though, whole different kettle of fish there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

bean mom posted:

yeah just pretend if you see the final battle for another faction you lost and are on pity mode from then on out