Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone dealt with calf cramps and solved them?

I haven’t experienced them before this season. Sometimes I’d have a cramp at home after a race, but never during. At a gravel race early this month they cramped up so bad that my calves felt like someone had taken a hammer to them, and it took about a week for the resulting soreness to go away. I chalked it up to it some combination of it being hot, only having 2 bottles, and riding SPD pedals and shoes, when most of my riding is on Look Keos.

It happened again yesterday, mostly in my left calf on the inside although I could feel my right calf starting to twinge. I drank roughly a bottle an hour for a 3 hour race, temp was 80-88f. The cramp was not nearly as severe, and I managed it by stretching on a descent and spraying it with water.

Each bottle had about 750mg of sodium (2.5 scoops of Tailwind), I was super hydrated before the race, my cleats are pretty far back, and my saddle height hasn’t changed in a long time. I do see quite a bit of salt on my bibs and when I wiped my face off post race my eyes definitely had a bunch of salt in them.

Wondering if I’m chasing the wrong thing with the nutrition/sodium factor, or if anyone has experience with the same problem and what they’ve tried.

Not a nutritionist but what is your potassium intake like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Not a nutritionist but what is your potassium intake like?

My thought too.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
No one here probably needs a reminder - but helmets are good and people should wear them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CReG2Suh37a/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm duck footed but I still prefer a very narrow Q-factor.
Didn't know the existing Look Assiomas were already +54mm.

I'm the same, any little change outwards feels awfully wrong to me

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ElMaligno posted:

Going on a shorter ride, but got me some pie.

Edit:

Got a sandwich too.

That's a gorgeous view, where were you? Looks vaguely like Wellington NZ but it's the wrong time of year for sun!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone dealt with calf cramps and solved them?

I haven’t experienced them before this season. Sometimes I’d have a cramp at home after a race, but never during. At a gravel race early this month they cramped up so bad that my calves felt like someone had taken a hammer to them, and it took about a week for the resulting soreness to go away. I chalked it up to it some combination of it being hot, only having 2 bottles, and riding SPD pedals and shoes, when most of my riding is on Look Keos.

It happened again yesterday, mostly in my left calf on the inside although I could feel my right calf starting to twinge. I drank roughly a bottle an hour for a 3 hour race, temp was 80-88f. The cramp was not nearly as severe, and I managed it by stretching on a descent and spraying it with water.

Each bottle had about 750mg of sodium (2.5 scoops of Tailwind), I was super hydrated before the race, my cleats are pretty far back, and my saddle height hasn’t changed in a long time. I do see quite a bit of salt on my bibs and when I wiped my face off post race my eyes definitely had a bunch of salt in them.

Wondering if I’m chasing the wrong thing with the nutrition/sodium factor, or if anyone has experience with the same problem and what they’ve tried.

Folks say that potassium specifically can help, but in my experience it's purely a function of going over my limit for longer than I can handle. That is to say, pacing is more important than nutrition, for me.

This might sound dumb, but I have also found that yelling at myself that science doesn't know why cramps happen and that therefore they don't exist has been *equally* effective at getting over to them than stopping and stretching or whatever. Ride through it, or I'm hosed, essentially.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bicievino posted:

You can, but I'll caution that the heart rate from the watch is *not good* for anything that isn't very steady-state efforts.

I'm not at the point in my cycling journey yet where this is a big issue, my big goal for this year is just to complete a century and maybe hit 1200 miles for the year. When I am ready for the next step, I have the strap - but I prefer to not wear it.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My left calf cramps. It just does. Conditioning seems to be a big part of it. It used to happen all the time inside of 30 miles, back when I first started riding. As I've gotten stronger, the cramp zone has been pushed outside of the majority of rides I do.

Still hits me occasionally though. Last time was with some real fast dudes who pushed me way beyond my limit on a group ride. I had checked the listed pace for that group and thought I could JUST crack it. The sick bastards exceeded the expected pace going into a brutal headwind. I did one cycle at the front of the peloton and just about died. They were nice enough to let me hang off the back the rest of the way, and even hung around "for a break" as I rolled around in agony with a locked calf.
They wouldn't let me drop off, even after that. They insisted they had tired themselves out on the first half and needed to slow down themselves.
Crazy, but cool dudes. Hope I never see them again!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

meltie posted:

That's a gorgeous view, where were you? Looks vaguely like Wellington NZ but it's the wrong time of year for sun!

Astoria, Oregon. Its a nice little café on a pier called Girls Coffee.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Math You posted:

The sick bastards exceeded the expected pace going into a brutal headwind. I did one cycle at the front of the peloton and just about died. They were nice enough to let me hang off the back the rest of the way, and even hung around "for a break" as I rolled around in agony with a locked calf.
They wouldn't let me drop off, even after that. They insisted they had tired themselves out on the first half and needed to slow down themselves.
That's extremely pleasant pack behaviour, NGL

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ElMaligno posted:

Astoria, Oregon. Its a nice little café on a pier called Girls Coffee.

Cheers, i'll check it out next time i'm over.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I noticed a slight clicking sensation on my bike yesterday, it kept happening at the same spot in the pedal stroke but I think it felt more pronounced in one or two gears but not necessarily all of them...any suggestions what to look at first?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

check that your pedals are tight

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Folks say that potassium specifically can help, but in my experience it's purely a function of going over my limit for longer than I can handle. That is to say, pacing is more important than nutrition, for me.

This might sound dumb, but I have also found that yelling at myself that science doesn't know why cramps happen and that therefore they don't exist has been *equally* effective at getting over to them than stopping and stretching or whatever. Ride through it, or I'm hosed, essentially.

Yeah I definitely was going hard. 270NP for 3 hours but a ton of surges around the corners. Probably some technique sloppiness with all the pain getting dished out.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

BraveUlysses posted:

I noticed a slight clicking sensation on my bike yesterday, it kept happening at the same spot in the pedal stroke but I think it felt more pronounced in one or two gears but not necessarily all of them...any suggestions what to look at first?

Check that your saddle is tight.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

Check that your shoelace isn't hitting the frame, or your front derailleur cable tapping the crankarm.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

bicievino posted:

Check that your shoelace isn't hitting the frame, or your front derailleur cable tapping the crankarm.

This. My front derailleur cable was silent for the first 100 km after my free tuneup 6 weeks after buying the bike, then it changed position and makes a soft ticking sound with every rotation in either of the larger two crank gears. And I've had terrible things happen with shoelaces.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

one of my 105 (7200? whatever the new hydro one is) shifters rattles when i'm not holding it. it's attached securely to the handlebar and doesn't seem to be a danger but it's heckin' annoying when i'm trundling up hills. shifting is great so i doubt it's the cable. are there bits to check under the hood for tightness or is this a gremlin sent to haunt me

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I make calf cramps go away by cramping my quads shortly after.

But seriously, I just keep riding and eventually it subsides. Stopping or slowing seemingly makes it worse in my case.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Epsom salt baths are a pro recovery move. Cramps are my daily reality, epsom salt is the answer.

You also have time to read while you soak. :derptiel:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sab0921 posted:

No one here probably needs a reminder - but helmets are good and people should wear them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CReG2Suh37a/

My one has a big chunk taken out the front. Not going to post a picture because it was white and now it's partially, uh, red but it looks like it protected me from a bash on the noggin.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

I make calf cramps go away by cramping my quads shortly after.

But seriously, I just keep riding and eventually it subsides. Stopping or slowing seemingly makes it worse in my case.

No quad cramps but I hear you about not stopping. The first time it happened, I stopped pedaling on a descent and tried to massage it with my hand and that was quite possibly the worst choice I’ve made in a long time. I could see the calf muscle physically moving after that.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Would I notice much speed increase going from Schwalbe G one allrounds (in 27.5x1.50) to Gravelking slicks? This would be for my commuter.

I'm slow as heck in general on it, usually average 20kph putting in a reasonable effort. Think I'd be doing 30+ on my road bike for the same effort. According to rollingresistance.com the higher quality version of the tyres on there now that they tested are pretty slow already (although I have them at a higher pressure than you can view the resistance for in free mode). There's lots of other power loss sources on there, through the Nexus 8 hub and from the belt drive, but maybe I can increase my speed by 2/3 kph for the same effort.

E: duh, bike also has front and rear always-on dynamos so I'm probably losing energy from that too

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 20, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
In the market for my first jersey. I normally wear costco athletic shirts (32 degree or something like that), but i want a back pocket for my phone and a snack. Also opening it on a hot day seems nice.

Are the black bibs’ jerseys any good? I’m probably just looking for something in black or white with minimal branding—i want to minimize the dentist look.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Contrary to more technical clothing like jackets I don’t think it’s important to put lot of money in jersey.
I have a fancy Mavic one and it’s no better than my cheapos DHB or Decathlon.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 20, 2021

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Head Bee Guy posted:

In the market for my first jersey. I normally wear costco athletic shirts (32 degree or something like that), but i want a back pocket for my phone and a snack. Also opening it on a hot day seems nice.

Are the black bibs’ jerseys any good? I’m probably just looking for something in black or white with minimal branding—i want to minimize the dentist look.

A friend has them and likes them. Are you buying the men's style? That's the one he has. I've also personally had success with Raccmer from Aliexpress.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Head Bee Guy posted:

In case it influences your decision, all black or white with minimal branding is peak dentist.
It's fine to just wear a color or not if you like it. Dumbasses will judge you regardless of what you wear, and other folks won't judge you regardless of what you wear.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

Get what you like! However, Rapha jerseys are the quintessential "dentist" jersey and have the minimalist look you describe.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I think the bearpope store is gonna open here in the near future. That's always a solid non-dentist jersey choice.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Because I'm basic as gently caress, my preferred jerseys are just local sports team jerseys. Got a Longhorn and Astros cycling jersey for fathers day and it's now basically all I wear.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Head Bee Guy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JOYPRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My brother wears the same. Cheap, black and white, and has pockets.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Heliosicle posted:

Would I notice much speed increase going from Schwalbe G one allrounds (in 27.5x1.50) to Gravelking slicks? This would be for my commuter.

I'm slow as heck in general on it, usually average 20kph putting in a reasonable effort. Think I'd be doing 30+ on my road bike for the same effort. According to rollingresistance.com the higher quality version of the tyres on there now that they tested are pretty slow already (although I have them at a higher pressure than you can view the resistance for in free mode). There's lots of other power loss sources on there, through the Nexus 8 hub and from the belt drive, but maybe I can increase my speed by 2/3 kph for the same effort.

E: duh, bike also has front and rear always-on dynamos so I'm probably losing energy from that too

My (subjective) experience is that the schwalbe one compound tires roll faster than panaracers

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

My (subjective) experience is that the schwalbe one compound tires roll faster than panaracers

Allrounds have a little bit of tread though. The biggest difference will be less noise on pavement. Not sure about the slicks being perceptively faster, but likely measurably faster.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Sab0921 posted:

Get what you like! However, Rapha jerseys are the quintessential "dentist" jersey and have the minimalist look you describe.
Ralpha the anti dentist jersey, because I'm worth it!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

My kingdom for jersey makers to have women's cuts that aren't all floral or hearts patterned

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sat on my keys! posted:

My kingdom for jersey makers to have women's cuts that aren't all floral or hearts patterned

https://www.elielcycling.com/collections/womens-jerseys

they're not cheap but they are made in the us at least

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Can someone enlighten my dumb rear end about what is meant by dentist?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sat on my keys! posted:

same but men’s jerseys in women’s colors and patterns

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

sat on my keys! posted:

Strong recco for veloccio. Higher end pricing but good quality. My wife swears by their bibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Can someone enlighten my dumb rear end about what is meant by dentist?

The term is used to refer to someone who (presumably) cares more about buying the most expensive thing rather than the best thing for them.
It's lovely and judgy and should be excised from bike culture, just like "Fred" and mocking triathletes should be.