Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The Forma does have a browser, albeit an experimental one and I also wouldn’t recommend using it regularly. Websites are too media rich for eink displays and it just slows things down more than enough to be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If it's anything like the browser on the Kindle, it's exactly good enough to read wikipedia articles about something you found in a book without hating the experience, but unusable for anything more demanding.

Honestly, that's the kind of use case where I say just to go for a good base model tablet. The Onyx Boox devices cost about as much as a base model iPad, and the iPad will crush any e-ink device at PDFs and web browsing.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 21, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i wouldn't be browsing the web on it. i have a tablet and laptop already. it's for accessing files easily without having to connect to/carry around another device to transfer them. if forma has a browser then it should be fine.

it just seems like for the price of these things, they would be better than they are, but i do want the e-ink thing because it seems a lot better than reading on an lcd.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Anyone having issues with book covers displayed on the lock screen being wrong? In the library it displays correctly but on the lock screen is just a generic background with a title in the middle. The book in question was bought from the store, not sideloaded. I have the new Oasis.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

lordfrikk posted:

Anyone having issues with book covers displayed on the lock screen being wrong? In the library it displays correctly but on the lock screen is just a generic background with a title in the middle. The book in question was bought from the store, not sideloaded. I have the new Oasis.

The cover on the library view isn't always the cover in the book, if that makes sense. If you open the book and go to the cover it will be the generic one. At least I think, because I've seen that before too. I suspect it's publisher laziness.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I will have to test that but if so that's really dumb.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hey all you cool cats and kittens, £50 off Kindle Paperwhite today!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

roomtone posted:

it just seems like for the price of these things, they would be better than they are, but i do want the e-ink thing because it seems a lot better than reading on an lcd.
It's just the nature of the technology. No matter how much you spend, e-ink will never be fast. This means that realistically the CPU only has to be fast enough to keep up with the display, so most readers optimize for battery life over performance.

I think that cell phone with the e-ink display on the back almost got it right, but it should have been a tablet. A device with a large enough e-ink display to read a PDF reasonably on one side and a decent OLED panel on the other side could be wonderful with the right software experience.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

wolrah posted:

It's just the nature of the technology. No matter how much you spend, e-ink will never be fast. This means that realistically the CPU only has to be fast enough to keep up with the display, so most readers optimize for battery life over performance.

I think that cell phone with the e-ink display on the back almost got it right, but it should have been a tablet. A device with a large enough e-ink display to read a PDF reasonably on one side and a decent OLED panel on the other side could be wonderful with the right software experience.

I think the only major global manufacturer to try that out has been Lenovo, with two concepts: one laptop with e-ink touch in lieu of keyboard, and one laptop with e-ink on the screen's reverse side. Both have been fairly limited in terms of not implementing a real independent function for the ink side, iirc more like a "cast-to-ink" or mirror than a full operating approach.

The Russian Yota and Chinese Hisense phones are a nice concept, but limited in utility and security for the rest of us Yeah, it's disappointing.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Hi eReader thread! My dad has asked about getting an eReader, as he's now at the age when he finds himself waking up at 3am and being completely unable to go back to sleep. His budget is pretty limited, max of around $70, and ideally something that works well for people with poor vision under low light conditions. This is a completely foreign area of gadgetry to me and I don't want to waste his money, so I was hoping to call on the thread's expertise:

Are there any specific models I should look at? I've seen some Paperwhites and Kobo Auras in that price range on eBay.

Any features I'm not thinking of that are worth considering for an elderly reader with iffy eyesight?

What's the preferred marketplace for these devices? eBay, or...?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Probably a kindle. Easiest to set up, the Paperwhite had a lighted screen, and it's fairly easy to use. You can buy a new or used one for around 40-70 bucks normally, I think, from Amazon or eBay.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Yeah they have a bunch of sales through the year as well, most of these devices will also let you change the font size on the fly so he'd be able to read it at his comfort level.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Kestral posted:

Hi eReader thread! My dad has asked about getting an eReader, as he's now at the age when he finds himself waking up at 3am and being completely unable to go back to sleep. His budget is pretty limited, max of around $70, and ideally something that works well for people with poor vision under low light conditions. This is a completely foreign area of gadgetry to me and I don't want to waste his money, so I was hoping to call on the thread's expertise:

Are there any specific models I should look at? I've seen some Paperwhites and Kobo Auras in that price range on eBay.

Any features I'm not thinking of that are worth considering for an elderly reader with iffy eyesight?

What's the preferred marketplace for these devices? eBay, or...?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Amazon will have a sale or the warehouse/scratch&dent/returns option that should meet the budget.

You didn't ask about it, but if the budget is that tight, you/he should be aware that most major library systems have ebooks for check-out, too. The app I'm most familiar with is Overdrive/Libby (same company, redesigned app), and they can send directly to an eReader. 24/7 access, no leaving the house, automatic returns, no fees. Check with your local library. The integration is a little janky because obviously Amazon wants to sell you books rather than checking them out, but it's there and it works well.

Come to think of it, your local library might have an eReader he can check out for a period to see if he likes it.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Kobo has pretty good Overdrive support as well.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I can expense an e-reader to work under our "Learning and Development" program. It does have to be e-ink to qualify to be expensed. Any recommendations for a large format (10"+) reader for mostly textbooks and technical material if cost is not relevant? It'd be nice if I could use it to work out math problems and such as I'm reading or at end of chapter exercises so working well with a stylus would be nice. It seems like the reMarkable 2, Onyx Boox Note Air/Note 3/Max Lumi, Kobo Elipsa, and the PocketBook InkPad X are the options in the space as far as I can tell. I do already have a Paperwhite for fiction so more casual reading isn't really a consideration.

After doing some initial research I'm leaning towards one of the Onyx devices (probably the Max Lumi) primarily because their software seems better and the frontlight is a definite plus. Would love to know what the gooncensus is on the higher end e-ink space.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I had the InkPad X for a while and it was great except for the build quality which I felt could have been better, though maybe it was just that one piece.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Elipsa doesn't do apps, so that won't suit your needs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Kobo Clara and Nia are 20 bucks off currently. At least on the US store.

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Kindle edition of the Washington Post started showing up on my Kindle everyday. I don’t want a newspaper on my Kindle but can’t figure out how to make it stop (without cancelling the subscription altogether.)

Any ideas?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Any rumors on new kindles?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Reading between the lines, a colour kindle is unlikely, tech is improving but still immature and expensive. There’s been a process improvement in the b&w stuff that gives better contrast, sharpness etc that could theoretically be part of a refresh of the Oasis and/or Paperwhite, they’d do it some point before Christmas if they were going to.

Black fri weekend is a maybe?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

Reading between the lines, a colour kindle is unlikely, tech is improving but still immature and expensive. There’s been a process improvement in the b&w stuff that gives better contrast, sharpness etc that could theoretically be part of a refresh of the Oasis and/or Paperwhite, they’d do it some point before Christmas if they were going to.

Black fri weekend is a maybe?

What I'm looking for is a new Oasis with USBC really. That's all I "want" that the current one doesn't have.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Did Amazon hire a team of summer interns to knock out like 5 years of backlog changes? I like the new update but seems like there’s been more changes this year than in the previous like 5 years on my paperwhite (or just standard pandemic year blurring).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I wonder why cheap chinese e-reader manufacturers are so ahead of the curve on adoption of USB-C compared to kobo and amazon

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

My guess is that they're closer to the supply chain than Amazon/Kobo and that it's just simply cheaper to use the newer connector.

Amazon/Kobo might be after some kind of continuity, or something.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

In the case of the oasis I think it is equal parts laziness and the battery being too tiny to see much benefit from a faster charger

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I miss my Voyage and its battery life. Please just make a new Voyage thank you

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Last I checked there were still used like-new Voyages for sale. Finding a case is nearly impossible though. Those guys move on fast.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Did Amazon hire a team of summer interns to knock out like 5 years of backlog changes? I like the new update but seems like there’s been more changes this year than in the previous like 5 years on my paperwhite (or just standard pandemic year blurring).

Yeah they've got their poo poo together now. Last few updates have been meaningful, I really like the UI reshuffle on this one.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Rudeboy Detective posted:

My guess is that they're closer to the supply chain than Amazon/Kobo and that it's just simply cheaper to use the newer connector.

Also the likes of Amazon and Kobo have product development teams, have to actually support the device and have a mapped lifecycle with electronic compliance testing. Plus Amazon and Kobo make the money on content and not hardware.

Some where along the line an MBA is going to ask how much putting a USB C connector on an existing product is going to cost Vs the likely increase in sales.

Now the Chinese makers rely on selling hardware so need a new USP to sell you a new device as often as they can.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Some where along the line an MBA is going to ask how much putting a USB C connector on an existing product is going to cost Vs the likely increase in sales.

Well if this thread is anything to go by.......

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Does anyone else with a Kobo find that 9 out of 10 pages have a gap at the bottom where several more lines could have fit?

No matter what font/margin/spacing/justification settings I use those gaps still show up. The only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with formatting, but it happens in different formats with books that I've left intact and converted with Calibre.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If it's like Kindle it's a method of avoiding orphans and widows. It's usually just one or two lines though, and not on a majority of pages. I got used to it after a while.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 14, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Does anyone else with a Kobo find that 9 out of 10 pages have a gap at the bottom where several more lines could have fit?

No matter what font/margin/spacing/justification settings I use those gaps still show up. The only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with formatting, but it happens in different formats with books that I've left intact and converted with Calibre.

Check out MobileRead and you'll find some firmware patches that can adjust this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Also the likes of Amazon and Kobo have product development teams, have to actually support the device and have a mapped lifecycle with electronic compliance testing. Plus Amazon and Kobo make the money on content and not hardware.

Now the Chinese makers rely on selling hardware so need a new USP to sell you a new device as often as they can.
Amazon already moved to USB-C on their cheap Fire Tablets so clearly the cost isn't high at all, an MBA clearly looked at the price and decided it was worth it and there were no problems with electronic compliance testing. So what's the holdup on their similarly priced and even more expensive Kindles?

And I have no idea what software support teams would have to do with the charging connection.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm pretty sure Amazon loses money on every e-ink Kindle so even a modest increase in price from the move to USB C would be impactful. Maybe the price has come down enough on the tablet Kindles and the next round of e-ink ones will get it next.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Humerus posted:

I'm pretty sure Amazon loses money on every e-ink Kindle so even a modest increase in price from the move to USB C would be impactful. Maybe the price has come down enough on the tablet Kindles and the next round of e-ink ones will get it next.
Pretty sure they're not making money on $80 fire tablets either, especially when they go on sale even more often than the kindles. But maybe their lockscreen ads are more profitable? Either way the arguments about cost aren't really borne out here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My other electronics stuff, even the cheap stuff, has mostly moved over to USB-C as I've updated so it's annoying no matter what the excuse is

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

The United States posted:

Amazon already moved to USB-C on their cheap Fire Tablets so clearly the cost isn't high at all, an MBA clearly looked at the price and decided it was worth it and there were no problems with electronic compliance testing. So what's the holdup on their similarly priced and even more expensive Kindles?

And I have no idea what software support teams would have to do with the charging connection.

Tablets have a much shorter life cycle than ebook readers so get updated much more often for processor and screen. When you are already updating a product then changing the connected can be done but refreshing a product just to change the connector can be too much effort for no gain.

I expect the next refresh that Amazon will go USB C but it will be a product refresh for other things and the connector will be added to it.

For the support teams I didn't just mean software, but the hardware support and customer services as well. A new product needs new accessories like covers, cables and chargers as well as all the new marketing materials, customer service scripts and much more electronic product compliance sign-offs.

Ebook readers are a niche product with a slow rate of development so are always going to be behind the bleeding edge of development.

Yes it is annoying to have a different cable but complaining about ebook readers being behind the curve is more like complaining that a car only has USB A charging ports and not USB C ports than mobile phones. Plenty of phones being released still come with USB Micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Kindle Paperwhite leaks!

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/new-kindle-paperwhite-leaked-by-amazon-itself-and-its-a-big-upgrade

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 20, 2021