Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Don't forget that China is a big place. Serving Sichuan food to people from Qingdao because Chinese people eat Chinese food will make you look like you think all Chinese people are the same. It'll go over about as well as serving Cincinnati chili to Texans because America is America, right?

This is a bad metaphor because sichuanese places/dishes are everywhere in China and abroad and it’s the one regional cuisine people can name whereas anyone not from the Ohio valley who enjoys Cincinnati chili is insane something I say as a skyline-enjoyer from the Ohio valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to know how he got to the point of plating the meal without his wife having any idea whatsoever what was being served

Either he is the sneakiest man alive, she is the most unobservant person alive, or he was giggling like a jackass to himself the whole time, going "It's a surprise!", and now he's serving orange chicken and dumplings.

This story desperately needs details, like "how many times had he seen the parents before this", "what did he cook", "what did the wife think was for dinner" and "where did he get the rice paddy hat"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Look as long as he didn't piss in the coke, it's fine.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

rotinaj posted:

I want to know how he got to the point of plating the meal without his wife having any idea whatsoever what was being served

This is a case that's easily cracked by reading the post :v:

quote:

While my wife drove to go pick them up I decided I wanted to honor their traditions and family culture. So I researched authentic Chinese food and decided to try my hand at cooking it for dinner. I've always loved cooking and challenging myself to try new things. I had just finished up when they arrived

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Husband is a doofus but wife is overreacting. Your parents have been visible minorities in a foreign country since before you were born, you don't think they've worked out how to tell if someone's being racist or just awkwardly earnest? Have some faith in the people who raised you, lady.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Husband is a doofus but wife is overreacting. Your parents have been visible minorities in a foreign country since before you were born, you don't think they've worked out how to tell if someone's being racist or just awkwardly earnest? Have some faith in the people who raised you, lady.

To be fair, having to deal with your SO making a racist whoopsie sucks rear end, especially when it’s something you could have just asked or done a little research on. It’s possibly not the first time.

Plus seeing anyone be racist, again, even “positively”, to your parents is also loving miserable, even if they take it like a champ.

The husband meant well, and I think that’s the crux of what he isn’t quite getting and rubbing salt into a wound.

E: this may not be a universal experience, but it’s a shared one

teen witch fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 2, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Admiralty Flag posted:

Congrats on funding Brittany's replacement kid

If husband wants to be a part of his son's life he's going to have to make Brittany his actual wife. And the vibes I was getting are that maybe he was already having an affair. How are they going to check that, paternity test!?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I really hope that surrogate story is fake. That one is just depressing. Seeing it through the lens of the OP's post, it definitely looks shady as gently caress. Should have gotten contract. :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, husband definitely donated his semen to that lady, but I don't think it was the way his wife thinks he did.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is a bad metaphor because sichuanese places/dishes are everywhere in China and abroad and it’s the one regional cuisine people can name whereas anyone not from the Ohio valley who enjoys Cincinnati chili is insane something I say as a skyline-enjoyer from the Ohio valley.

As someone who's never been near the Ohio valley, is it racist of me to have made Cincinnati chili? Even if I enjoyed it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, husband definitely donated his semen to that lady, but I don't think it was the way his wife thinks he did.

That her friend was arguing so passionately she convinced her not to set up a formal, legal surrogacy contract really seems like she was in on it too.

Surrogacy/in vitro pregnancies come up semi regularly in these stories in the most insane implausible situations and its always down to people who try to pretend like its all a simple informal process.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

As someone who's never been near the Ohio valley, is it racist of me to have made Cincinnati chili? Even if I enjoyed it?

Only if you call it Confederate gumbo.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

FoolyCharged posted:

"No honey it hasn't taken yet. I need some more time to convince her blowing my load in her rear end won't get her pregnant. Remember how long it took to convince her swallowing it won't work? Don't worry though, we'll get there one of these days!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

sounds like she was fully aware of how it really happened and this is the end of a long, long chain of doing poo poo the hosed up way on purpose

Find a surrogate who isn't mourning their own dead kid? Eh, my buddy's family has a free uterus, what's the worst that could happen?
Get any kind of surrogacy contract worked out in advance? A handshake's good enough for me, what's the worst that could happen?
Clinic won't see us unless we have a proper agreement drawn up? Well gently caress that I'll get my husband to rawdog her while I try to channel my vibes into the embryo, what's the worst that could happen?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 2, 2021

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Dude is the rear end in a top hat here because if he wanted to impress her parents, the easiest way to do that would be to ask his wife what they could make and do that. I get a real whiff of him being an obnoxious white guy who mansplains Chinese cuisine to his Chinese wife's family due to his emphasis on research and authenticity. I'm guessing the wife might also be reacting this strongly because perhaps him being a racist dumbass to his in-laws is a pattern.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

It's because he omitted the MSG to "make it more authentic", duh.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Don't forget that China is a big place. Serving Sichuan food to people from Qingdao because Chinese people eat Chinese food will make you look like you think all Chinese people are the same. It'll go over about as well as serving Cincinnati chili to Texans because America is America, right?

Serving chili with beans to anyone is offensive.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

vonnegutt posted:

Dude is the rear end in a top hat here because if he wanted to impress her parents, the easiest way to do that would be to ask his wife what they could make and do that. I get a real whiff of him being an obnoxious white guy who mansplains Chinese cuisine to his Chinese wife's family due to his emphasis on research and authenticity. I'm guessing the wife might also be reacting this strongly because perhaps him being a racist dumbass to his in-laws is a pattern.

We got to the fan-fiction stage on this one real quick. My headcanon is that he didn't make the food at all, but just ordered take-out and now he doesn't understand why his wife is angry that he's trying to pass a plate of orange chicken off as homemade when the cardboard carton is right there on the table.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

We got to the fan-fiction stage on this one real quick. My headcanon is that he didn't make the food at all, but just ordered take-out and now he doesn't understand why his wife is angry that he's trying to pass a plate of orange chicken off as homemade when the cardboard carton is right there on the table.

Also he was wearing one of those conical straw hats.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Yes. You don’t make Cincinnati chili. You buy it from a fast food restaurant with ripped leather booths and signs handwritten on notebook paper and poo poo your brains out later. You probably used actual cheese instead of bright orange shredded stuff too. How dare you disrespect our rich culture.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

all skyline chili comes out of a can. all current stock was found sealed away in cave, nobody knows who put it there or how to manufacture more

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

100 degrees Calcium posted:

he just made stuff from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and made confused dog noises when she told him that wasn't set in China

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

vonnegutt posted:

I kinda had the same vibe, because it's his wife's culture too. In fact, he emphasizes how important it is to her. But it's only now, after 7+ years of marriage, that he decides to "research" Chinese food? So, definitely a dumbass, whether intentionally racist or not.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

One would think she would have cooked a lot of Chinese food and he would have learned how to make it by osmosis

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh he’s definitely the rear end in a top hat here but this is the perfect story for goon contrarianism because it’s just vague enough

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

also it's about food so it should be good for at least three pages of goons listing their favorite recipe, chinese or otherwise

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I'm going to guess it's this:

He made something completely off the wall and he's such a doofus he parsed her "Do you think all Chinese people eat the same thing???" as "You think my parents want Chinese food just because they're Chinese??"

Like the fact that he's not even saying what he cooked just that it's "Chinese food" says a lot.

e: or he did the equivalent of serving spaghetti with a side of paella "because europe"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 2, 2021

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for saying I wouldn't want to get drunk at a BBQ if my friend was driving me home?

Very cool and good to live in a world where a woman feels obligated to apologise for dodging a possible date rape attempt.

Apparently that guy who tried to get his female friend really drunk and then take her home really did have designs on her and isn't a fan of taking no for an answer. What a surprise! But OP flat-out telling him she wouldn't feel comfortable being drunk while alone with him didn't discourage him at all.

My [19F] friend [19M] acts like I'm his girlfriend

quote:

I have a group of guy friends I hangout with decently often, we mostly play video games and DND, and have started meeting up and going out in person. One guy in particular is a little weird, I'll call him M. I was initially closest with him and I still consider him a good friend, but he's quite posessive, makes passive aggressive comments when I hangout with the other guys, and whenever we do hangout as a group, he keeps trying to hold my hand and awkwardly put his arm around me. Whenever he tries to initiate hand holding I give him a high five lol. Everything came to a head yesterday when I hungout with 3 other guys from our group without him. He was invited, but at the last second (the rest of us were literally at the restaurant and seated) he told us he had swapped shifts with a coworker. We went ahead and ate anyways since we were already there, and to be honest it was probably better he didn't come because he has a very basic palate, and we went to a hot pot place that was predominantly organ meat (we're all very Asian and he's white) that he would never eat. So we ate and hung out for a bit at a park and went home.

The second I connected to wifi my phone was inundated with messages from M asking me to play a game with him or asking what I'm up to, and when I told him we had eaten he got really upset and accused me of being a bad friend... Not any of the other guys, just me because "it's just different". I was confused because, wasn't he working? His excuse was that the shifts got messed up but he expected us to just cancel the hangout. I don't really believe him because if his shift really did get messed up, he could've texted me or any one of our other friends and we would've told him to come down, instead of only messaging me on discord. I'm basically notorious in our friend group for having a terrible prepaid phone plan from 7/11 so I have no data, so I think he did that to check if I was out or at home.

I know a lot of people are going to tell me just to talk to him, but I feel like unless he straight up confesses he's just going to deny anything I say and probably react really poorly. I tell him not to hold my hand and call him stuff like "champ" and "pal" to dissuade his behaviour but he's undeterred. How can I subtly friendzone him without wrecking our friendship?

TLDR; friend doesn't take hints that I'm not into him, need recommendations on slightly more obvious hints

The thread told her that hints weren't good enough, and some folks suggested letting the rest of the friend group know how uncomfortable this guy's behavior was making her. And OP actually listened!

UPDATE: My [19F] friend [19M] acts like I'm his gf

quote:

Thank you for the support! Even if I didn't respond, I did read every single comment and considered everyone's advice.

I decided to bring it up with my other guy friends and discussed how to handle things as a group so it doesn't get too messy. A couple of my other friends noticed the behavior and wasn't sure what exactly was going on between us, and some of them had no idea but believed me regardless, which I'm grateful for. We decided the next time he would try to make jabs at me for spending time with other people or try to touch me, the other guys would call him out on it.

We all hung out at a park yesterday and of course M trids to put his arms around my waist, and when I started squirming, he held on tighter which made me panic. Our friends started telling him to let go of me but he just laughed and said he was "joking around".. they ended up having to get a little physical and pushed him away from me, and M flipped out and started calling them simps and "jealous cockblockers" before leaving. One of our friends is going to try to talk some sense into him, but for me, that was the last straw. It's hard because they've all been friends since elementary school while I met them rather recently, but the majority of the boys are totally disgusted with M and are going to cut him off.

Thank you again for everyone who has weighed in. I'm hoping this is the last update I'll make and I consider this issue to be resolved.

TLDR; my friends had my back, and after a more serious incident of him trying to touch me, I've decided to cut him off

Given how many nerd circles I've seen make excuses for abusers, I'm pleasantly surprised that the rear end in a top hat's childhood friends stepped up. That was probably helped along by the fact that they actually saw him assault her and then react badly to being called out. Good on OP for standing up for herself even if that made things awkward.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

deety posted:

Whenever he tries to initiate hand holding I give him a high five lol.
ahahahaha brutal

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

also it's about food so it should be good for at least three pages of goons listing their favorite recipe, chinese or otherwise

Cincinnati Chili
Required: car, money, internet connection
1. Go to google maps, search for skyline chili
2. Drive to location
3. Order 5 way
4. Pay
5. Take cheese from bags and dump in tray
6. Put lid on for 30 seconds so it melts
7. Crumble oyster crackers
8. Eat

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Whenever he tries to initiate hand holding I give him a high five lol

Oh my god I need this to be the thread title so bad

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Cincinnati Chili
2. Drive to location
3. Order 5 way
4. Pay
8. Eat

Instructions unclear. Dumped cheese into ashtray.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Cincinnati Chili
2. Drive to location
3. Order 5 way
4. Pay
8. Eat

Instructions unclear. Drove car into ocean trying to drive from UK.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I just dislike Ariana Grande because she seems like a lovely person even by celebrity standards.

No love lost, but she's pro vaccine so that puts her above average in the US.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I hear Ariana Grande is spanish for "Big Ariana"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Instructions unclear. Drove car into ocean trying to drive from UK.

They don’t have skyline in Lexington. You got put in gold star.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Cincinnati Chili
2. Drive to location
3. Order 5 way
4. Pay
8. Eat
Instructions unclear. Currently in jail with four chili loving sex workers.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I hear Ariana Grande is spanish for "Big Ariana"

It's actually Medium Ariana. For a Big Ariana she'd have to be called Ariana Venti.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Splicer posted:

Instructions unclear. Currently in jail with four chili loving sex workers.

I wish I got your one. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

deety posted:

Given how many nerd circles I've seen make excuses for abusers, I'm pleasantly surprised that the rear end in a top hat's childhood friends stepped up. That was probably helped along by the fact that they actually saw him assault her and then react badly to being called out. Good on OP for standing up for herself even if that made things awkward.

I think the fact that he's white and they are all asian (including the OP) might play a part as well. White guys feeling entitled to relationships with asian women is A Thing and a lot of asian guys recognise it as hosed up due to the racial aspect if not the sexist one.