Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

When you're buying a box to own the libs to hold one comic book that came out two years ago:

https://twitter.com/chloehandler/status/1423042691273826305?s=20

Per person break down

$132

$192.

Like, gently caress fleece these people from their money as hard as you can, because they will probably spend themselves into homelessness in order to "own" a metaphorical concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So what exactly is a magnetic storfolio is it like levitating the comic or something

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a cardboard portfolio box with a magnetic latch wrapped in printed vinyl (or some other plastic material) to store comics in, but why the hell would you pay 100 bucks for this instead of 5 bucks for a long/short box is beyond me.

I think my comic shop does custom short boxes for like 15/20 bucks a pop, EVS is human scum and his scam game’s gotten pretty emboldened.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

“19 campaigns.” And how many actual comic books have been produced as a result, not counting all the tchotchkes and Cracker Jack prizes?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the bad news is the grifters are making money, the good news is they're having no effect on comics as a whole because nobody reads their poo poo outside of this bubble.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah the bad news is the grifters are making money, the good news is they're having no effect on comics as a whole because nobody reads their poo poo outside of this bubble.

The same 2k people or so just giving all their money to the same ten grifters to "own" a group that never thinks about them at all is a fitting end to ComicsGate.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"You laugh now, but the free market allows us to burn our money in a garbage can as many times as we want, and there's NOTHING you can do about it!"
"Okay."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

“19 campaigns.” And how many actual comic books have been produced as a result, not counting all the tchotchkes and Cracker Jack prizes?

I had a look at his wiki and it says he's done:

Cyberfrog: Bloodhoney
Cyberfrog: The Diary of Heather Swain
Cyberfrog: Unfrogettable Tales #1-2

This year is supposed to see the release of Cyberfrog: Rekt Planet which he raised an eye bleeding $1 million for. That one campaign talks about a new comic Bloodhoney: Drained. So 4 have been produced, though I think Unfrogettable Tales is a reprint of old stories, with another two on the way all since 2018.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sucks to think that evs is probably one of, if not the, highest paid creator in the industry right now because Nazis love to throw their money away to own the libs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

sucks to think that evs is probably one of, if not the, highest paid creator in the industry right now because Nazis love to throw their money away to own the libs

Ehh, creator owned stuff getting made into movies and tv shows is probably more lucrative than this grift, I'm sure Millar has made more from his Netflix deal, and regardless of your opinion of his comics he splits the money with his artists and doesn't post terrible poo poo online constantly.

And I'd debate how accurate it is to describe EVS as still being "in the industry" when he has to self publish everything. It sucks that he's been this successful in it, but just take to heart that even if he has more money now, way the gently caress fewer people are reading anything they make than when they drawing Green Lantern and Justice League.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Skwirl posted:

And I'd debate how accurate it is to describe EVS as still being "in the industry" when he has to self publish everything.

I'm not comfortable with any definition of 'comics industry' that excludes self-publication.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fritz posted:

I'm not comfortable with any definition of 'comics industry' that excludes self-publication.

Fair enough.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pentyne posted:

Per person break down

$132

$192.

Like, gently caress fleece these people from their money as hard as you can, because they will probably spend themselves into homelessness in order to "own" a metaphorical concept.

Pay piggies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/status/1426722532359610368
Artist Joe Quinones discovers that they're selling a poster of a cover he did but they removed his signature, in a half assed way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Asexual findoms.

^^^also that thing re. the signature is really sucky.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1428521909445173249?s=20

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1428546299440283651?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Why is he regretting it? Are people not buying it? I don't remember this guy so I need more context.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Why is he regretting it? Are people not buying it? I don't remember this guy so I need more context.

Lopresti has worked on a smattering of different Marvel and DC books throughout the years, but was never a main sell or anything like that.

I think some of artists like him get roped into Comicsgate by some of the more established members like Billy Tucci, not really telling them about the dark poo poo they've done in the past. These older artists barely know how to use a computer and so they start a campaign to pay their bills and then get roped into it, not realizing that these streams are to whip up pay piggies by talking about how Chinese people should be killed or how gay people in comics are bad. Or they could just be assholes, either way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A few of those guys look like they might be regretting their life choices which, you know, good. More of them I don't even know who they are, like Andy Smith and 'PTP.' I could look them up, I know, but I don't care.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

One of his family members who is defending him on Twitter from the mean old social media bullies on the left has a wall filled with Ben Shapiro and Candace Owens bullshit, so I think this dude was already a shithead before he got into comicsgate stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm glad comicsgate is so dead I've never heard of any of those people besides evs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember when the diversityincomics guy got murdered in his sleep by jim jeffries of all people lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

remember when the diversityincomics guy got murdered in his sleep by jim jeffries of all people lmao

It did say a lot about the 'movement' that Dickie was their best and brightest when Jeffries held up a picture of a black Superman and asked if this was a problem for him and Dickie said yes and then held up a slightly lighter shade of a black Superman and asked if this made it less of a problem and of course Dickie also said yes.

Also when he got dunked on endlessly for doing the extremely normal thing of ripping up a comic page by page on camera and one of the pages was the Stan Lee tribute when Stan passed that was in every Marvel comic that month.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The performative destruction thing is so weird to me. I don't like EVS, but I definitely wouldn't buy a copy of cyberfrog then destroy it, or get any sort of satisfaction out of seeing a video of someone else do it.

I know it's a nazi thing, but it's still weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BSS founder Sgt Rock destroyed some Gail Simone comics back in the day and it was hilarious. Mostly because she was a member here who was bad at posting etiquette.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Rhyno posted:

BSS founder Sgt Rock destroyed some Gail Simone comics back in the day and it was hilarious. Mostly because she was a member here who was bad at posting etiquette.

Wait she was?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes.

SHE WOULDN'T STOP SIGNING HER POSTS

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Didn't she leave because a goon wished that the house of one of her friends would burn down

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Argue posted:

Didn't she leave because a goon wished that the house of one of her friends would burn down

I don't recall that. The last time it came up people blamed me for driving her off which I also don't remember being a part of.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well whoever did it was dumb. Maybe you were a dumb teen when it happened but if you still think it's hilarious to drive off someone like that by making a show destroying her work for doing something that innocuous then maybe you need to work on some things.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
it sounds funny to me

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its so weird and funny to default to condemning the destruction of some paper over the much more alarming threat regarding arson

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm like 99% sure someone asked gail simone on twitter if she was driven off of this website by the awful terrible goon and she said no she just got bored

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well whoever did it was dumb. Maybe you were a dumb teen when it happened but if you still think it's hilarious to drive off someone like that by making a show destroying her work for doing something that innocuous then maybe you need to work on some things.

It was loving hilarious and it wasn't even what drove her off as she responded well to it.

I wonder if it's in the archives.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Alaois posted:

i'm like 99% sure someone asked gail simone on twitter if she was driven off of this website by the awful terrible goon and she said no she just got bored

You may also be thinking of Kate Beaton here, who goons showed their usual exemplary behaviour to

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I don't recall that. The last time it came up people blamed me for driving her off which I also don't remember being a part of.

Impossible. I can't imagine Gail saying anything bad about Guy Gardner.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Sorry wrong industry thread.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Yes.

SHE WOULDN'T STOP SIGNING HER POSTS

So what?

-JordanKai

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bill Scienkawitz came out swinging.

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/1032730857319084033?s=19
Full text if you don't use Facebook. Not sure if something specific happened to make him go off or just general annoyance and anger built up and then burst through.

quote:

To Comicsgaters - but also: to general friends and colleagues in arms . Profuse profanity to follow. Be advised.

To begin.
I'm convinced Comics chose ME as a practitioner, emissary, evangelist, what-have-you---rather than the other way around.
Perhaps that's why I tend to view most other creators through a similar lens. Whatever the actual reason people create comics, tell stories, live in this world, it's still a wonderful calling.
Creators are family; every voice is unique and necessary.

That said, Comics sure as hell didn't choose the so-called Comicsgate contingent to promote hateful, misogynistic and plain-old-ugly dogma. No, these 'Gaters- you guys- you brought that ugliness all by yourselves.

To be honest, I just don't get your deal. Are you so insecure, so afraid, so fearful of the prospect of bearing the 'incel' moniker, or by sharing creative space with someone with more estrogen than you- that you're all somehow threatened to your very manhood or your livelihood? How super-heroic of you.
I'd ask you to explain it to me, but frankly what I've heard from your quarter already bores me; as well as just plain pisses me off. I loving despise bullies. Cowards.

What you're each promoting individually is not some divine creative dispensation; it's just you being an rear end in a top hat. Collectively, you're a gaggle, a clan,(-potentially with a k unsubtle as that shot may be)- a veritable bag's worth of douches. Whatever the name you give for your assembly, you're not the Avengers. You're still just a bunch of assholes.

Comics isn't a boys club. It's not "NO (insert ethnic group, gender, religion, sexual preference here) ALLOWED." It's a club , a meeting place a forum for creators. Of all stripes. Like a real life Legion of Super Heroes, or a Justice League. Only with pen and ink paper and Cintiqs and laptops and...

Stop being the creepy racist misogynist uncles showing up at reunions and pissing in the punchbowl to disprove your beta standing. Stop being the weird cousins the entire world points to as the definition of every "comic book nerd" stereotype. Or do it far away from us. Stop being whiny misunderstood victims bitching bout favoritism, intolerance, and sexism. You're slinging inky-black aspersions, obliviously crying racism in your Wite-Out™. You're damned right some corrections need to be made; starting with the guys in the mirror first.

So stop being awful ambassadors for the worst of our natures. Stop being brownshirts. Stop being goddamned ugly dicks. And to re-jigger an ugly phrase you sling at women, I'm instead going to channel it here in the spirit of my Aussie friends: Stop being such insufferable clueless cunts.

The medium didn't call on you to be the best version of assholes you could be. Neither did we.
Knock it off.
Either step up. Or step off.
We, Comics, and The Audience- will be absolutley fine without you.
And you won't be missed one damned bit.

Edit:didn't realize how old this was Scienkawicz resurrected it in order to flirt with Tom Taylor.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that post is 3 years old lol