Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/FanbyteMedia/status/1425212871462506496?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Finally, you too can date the rat man

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

hobbesmaster posted:

And it rules.

I mean, other than the shooting Graha'Tia part.
I mean, he really did ol' raha a favour if you think about it, what with the original plan being to sacrifice himself and all

That was a life-saving gunshot wound, in the end

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

cheetah7071 posted:

We may have to accept that there are two people in the world who do dramatic hand flourishes

That can't be true, and not only can we use that to claim Emet is Amon, but we can use that to claim other people are also Emet.

Fandaniel is FULL of dramatic hand flourishes, he's obviously Emet.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Insert name here posted:

I mean, he really did ol' raha a favour if you think about it, what with the original plan being to sacrifice himself and all

You're out of line, but you're right.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

All it took for me to become Emet-Selch was to give SE $7 for the Snap emote.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Insert name here posted:

It's worth saying that it also would've been a world-ending gunshot wound, if Emet hadn't stuck around to be an absurdly improbable target for a massive light-cannon that I don't think anyone in-story actually expected would save the world.

Say what you will about the Exarch's plan being suicidal, but everything suggests it would've worked, which still marks him as the smartest person in that scene.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only problem with the Exarch's plan is that he made Urianger lie to us again and I'm getting tired of it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hellioning posted:

The only problem with the Exarch's plan is that he made Urianger lie to us again and I'm getting tired of it.

"made"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"this is my medicinal gun"

"oh so it like...shoots healing darts?"

"no"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uriagner's fetish is large roe women and lying to people and he's all out of large roe women.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fair.

The only problem with the Exarch's plan is that he gave Urianger an excuse to lie to us again and I'm getting tired of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Uriagner's fetish is large roe women and lying to people and he's all out of large roe women.

What if your WoL is a large roe woman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

What if your WoL is a large roe woman.

He knows you're way out of his league.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

We may have to accept that there are two people in the world who do dramatic hand flourishes

Cleretic posted:

That can't be true, and not only can we use that to claim Emet is Amon, but we can use that to claim other people are also Emet.

Fandaniel is FULL of dramatic hand flourishes, he's obviously Emet.

You guys ever met anyone else that could nod and punch their palm at the same time? Emet Selch works the same way.

Algid fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 11, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hellioning posted:

I mean he talks like a bard but claims to be an astrologian

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://twitter.com/AnonyMooseXIV/status/1425313275248529417

I forget when the last time was it came up that Emet might have been lying about being tempered. A recent lore interview indicates that primals can just 'pull back,' so to speak, and leave most of the original personality intact. I think this pretty much clinches it.

e: I have remembered correctly, that was this thread!

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 11, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mister Olympus posted:

https://twitter.com/AnonyMooseXIV/status/1425313275248529417

I forget when the last time was it came up that Emet might have been lying about being tempered. A recent lore interview indicates that primals can just 'pull back,' so to speak, and leave most of the original personality intact. I think this pretty much clinches it.

I don't know about others, but I know I've personally never said he was lying about it so much as claiming parity of symptoms. Essentially the tempering equivalent of 'bullshit the flu's got you in bed, I got the flu last week and I was fine to go to work'. It seemed to me like the Ascians had a similar tempering situation to Tiamat, where they're consciously aware of the influence but can mostly behave fine by pushing it back of mind. Which is a world different to the more total tempering that we see elsewhere.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
On the other hand, I've also been reminded that a primal as straightforward as Ifrit can still pull back enough to have his fanatics seem plausibly intact enough to re-infiltrate the Brass Blades, and that's level 20 MSQ so

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, there's plenty of evidence already for tempering being a spectrum: the tempered brass blades being sent back as moles, the slyphs under ramuh, the ananta nearly wiping out the entire peace conference in stormblood, etc

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

so did Azem regularly go around rebalancing aether by having other members of the convocation summon primals and beating the poo poo out of them or was that volcano story meant to be a one-off throwaway and not indicative of some subtle parallel like how alph and zenos are the descendants of emet and louisoix, venat and minfilia gave themselves up to become parts of hydaelyn, etc

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 11, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FAUXTON posted:

so did Azem regularly go around rebalancing aether by summoning primals and beating the poo poo out of them or was that volcano story meant to be a one-off throwaway and not indicative of some subtle parallel like how alph and zenos are the descendants of emet and louisoix, venat and minfilia gave themselves up to become parts of hydaelyn, etc

The way that story talks about it it sounds like 'stealing from Akadaemia' is a new one, but Azem loving off to do random savior poo poo and possibly breaking some laws to do it isn't. So the Ifrita thing was probably a one-off stunt.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I like my tempered pan-seared

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

A dose of feels

https://twitter.com/emmmerald_/status/1251174497580797954?s=19

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I wonder if Azem could transform into a super form like Emet or maybe that was his signature party trick. That being said, combining with our party members would be on brand for the shepherd imo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tekne posted:

I wonder if Azem could transform into a super form like Emet or maybe that was his signature party trick. That being said, combining with our party members would be on brand for the shepherd imo.

If this was a mechanic, 100% guarantee it would be the main tank that controls it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tekne posted:

I would assume their ‘battle form’ was probably the shape Elidibus took in the Seat of Sacrifice. The FF1 Warrior of Light, given that Elidibus’ whole thing is hero worshipping Azem as the original Warrior of Light. The fact that Amano designs are deliberately androgynous only makes it more fitting.

“Mankind’s first hero and it’s final hope”. What would Elidibus possibly be referencing but their idol?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I would assume their ‘battle form’ was probably the shape Elidibus took in the Seat of Sacrifice. The FF1 Warrior of Light, given that Elidibus’ whole thing is hero worshipping Azem as the original Warrior of Light. The fact that Amano designs are deliberately androgynous only makes it more fitting.

“Mankind’s first hero and it’s final hope”. What would Elidibus possibly be referencing but their idol?

Actually, 5.3 itself gives two much more explicitly likely explanations for that. And implies that both of them could be true.

1. Remember that the legend of the First's first Warrior of Light we're shown in the library is of the FF1 WoL. Given that Eden has been showing us how much primals are shaped by those calling for their creation, it makes complete sense that's the form Elidibus takes; they've been praying not just for A hero, but specifically THIS hero. Hell, it might even be that if he pulled the same trick in the Source he'd have gotten a different result, because the Source's image of the Warrior of Light is entirely different; we might've instead been fighting that image described early in the game, of an indistinct figure of a hero eclipsed by a great light.

2. Also remember Elidibus' Echo scene; it's hard to say exactly how much of this is literal versus symbolic or representative (we know there's elements of both), but when he desperately needs to possess a hero to sate his literal hunger for hero worship, he went for someone also wearing the FF1 WoL armor. So it might in fact be that he's calling back to his own first experience with being an adored hero.

Both of these may in fact be true; there's no evidence saying that Elidibus wasn't also the Warrior of Light in that book. But those are very clearly possibilities.

And for that matter, now that I think on it, his 'idolization' of Azem might not have actually been a purely human emotion, but rather that need manifesting; remember how that short story is after Elidibus came back down as a primal. He wasn't yet starved of the hero worship he feeds of, but he perhaps instinctively looked up to someone who had exactly the thing his body knew it needed.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
No one had a battle form outside emet-selch who was using his special and unique connection to the life stream to empower himsef, and that warrior of light was explicitly a post sundering hero, not Azem.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cleretic posted:

Actually, 5.3 itself gives two much more explicitly likely explanations for that. And implies that both of them could be true.

1. Remember that the legend of the First's first Warrior of Light we're shown in the library is of the FF1 WoL. Given that Eden has been showing us how much primals are shaped by those calling for their creation, it makes complete sense that's the form Elidibus takes; they've been praying not just for A hero, but specifically THIS hero. Hell, it might even be that if he pulled the same trick in the Source he'd have gotten a different result, because the Source's image of the Warrior of Light is entirely different; we might've instead been fighting that image described early in the game, of an indistinct figure of a hero eclipsed by a great light.

2. Also remember Elidibus' Echo scene; it's hard to say exactly how much of this is literal versus symbolic or representative (we know there's elements of both), but when he desperately needs to possess a hero to sate his literal hunger for hero worship, he went for someone also wearing the FF1 WoL armor. So it might in fact be that he's calling back to his own first experience with being an adored hero.

Both of these may in fact be true; there's no evidence saying that Elidibus wasn't also the Warrior of Light in that book. But those are very clearly possibilities.

And for that matter, now that I think on it, his 'idolization' of Azem might not have actually been a purely human emotion, but rather that need manifesting; remember how that short story is after Elidibus came back down as a primal. He wasn't yet starved of the hero worship he feeds of, but he perhaps instinctively looked up to someone who had exactly the thing his body knew it needed.

What? The WoL on the source looks like me. In this *Elidibus doing this thing on the Source" hypothetical it would be dope to introduce a high level pvp trial that's MSQ required. They made raids required, this is the next one to tie in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

KirbyKhan posted:

it would be dope to introduce a high level pvp trial that's MSQ required.

:chloe:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KirbyKhan posted:

it would be dope to introduce a high level pvp trial that's MSQ required.

yeah true only a complete loving dope would do such a thing

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

KirbyKhan posted:

What? The WoL on the source looks like me. In this *Elidibus doing this thing on the Source" hypothetical it would be dope to introduce a high level pvp trial that's MSQ required. They made raids required, this is the next one to tie in.

I mean, that could happen, but I'm pretty sure people aren't in practice tremendously fond of that Demon's Souls boss.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
last time i played ringed city i was extremely disappointed my halflight was a naked guy with no weapon that let me kill them and i feel like people would do that here if we had that boss

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figure if they did a "you fight... YOURSELF" it would be along the lines of "you see a huge version of Your PC, plus a selection of standard attack patterns with customized graphics depending on your personal job at the time."

They could probably be a little more adventurous if it was a solo duty, but if it's a trial it would probably work like that. The mechanics would be fixed.

They've also done the mirror party idea several times... then again I believe those segments were also all written by Ishikawa.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 13, 2021

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Nessus posted:

I figure if they did a "you fight... YOURSELF" it would be along the lines of "you see a huge version of Your PC, plus a selection of standard attack patterns with customized graphics depending on your personal job at the time."

A Lalafell the size of a Primal. The mind boggles.

e: with an Amon's Hat the size of a house.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zutaten posted:

A Lalafell the size of a Primal. The mind boggles.

e: with an Amon's Hat the size of a house.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nessus posted:

They could probably be a little more adventurous if it was a solo duty, but if it's a trial it would probably work like that. The mechanics would be fixed.

They've also done the mirror party idea several times... then again I believe those segments were also all written by Ishikawa.

That idea's essentially what we got. The Warrior of Light boss himself was clearly a jacked-up Paladin with some extra recognizable tricks, and the summoned allies have skills based on their jobs. The Heroes' Gauntlet bosses weren't a far throw away from it, either.

And... yeah, come to think of it, 'fight a mirror match' is an Ishikawa thing. I don't know who she wrote for before FFXIV (although we did have it confirmed she did write for another developer beforehand), but with that predeliction I wouldn't be surprised to hear she was on the staff for some Persona games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Hyskari/status/1236705231980777472?s=19