Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Never heard of Bob Jackson before but check this out:

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I posted my norco revolver 29er full suspension XC MTB that needs a chain, cassette, brake rotors, and some other misc work on FB marketplace and I got some guy wanting to buy it in less than a minute. I posted it pretty cheap so I really hope he read the ad that describes all the work it needs, but you know, he probably didn't and just looked at the pretty pictures.

edit: never mind just got flooded with tons of interest at the price point. turns out people really want the bike! listed it for $600 CAD and it needs $400+ worth of parts/labor and I think I only paid $1200 for it years ago. hopefully i sell it tonight so i can fund maintenance for my CX bike lol.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 18, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

$600CAD for that seems like a real good price with the lack of MTBs on shelves. Even if you need to replace some parts.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Amazon and the packaging was flat out good KMC packaging so I wasn't worried in the slightest.

I've got a cheapshit SRAM chain on my bike now because that's all they had in stock under $90 and I'm probably going to send my wife's bike in this weekend to get a Campagnolo 11 speed chain on just because that's what they've got. Good times.

Fun thing about Amazon is they co-mingle their providers’ inventory*, so if KMC sends them a thousand legit chains but a company running their own Amazon store sends Amazon a thousand forgeries with the same model number and packaging as the legit ones, it’s a toss-up whether or not customers will get the real deal.

*at least for companies running their own stores on Amazon. No idea if they also do this for stuff listed as being sold by Amazon.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 18, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

highme posted:

$600CAD for that seems like a real good price with the lack of MTBs on shelves. Even if you need to replace some parts.

-drive train is pretty much blasted
-probably needs new rotors as well as pads
-front QR is hosed somehow
-probably a bunch of other crap

I mean if the person can do their own work then kudos to them they will be getting a great deal. I typically like to get bikes in good shape before selling them but the shop bill was going to be way too much for that and I want to part ways with it. It does roll and you could take it MTBing right away even, but its pretty worn.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 18, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Doc Block posted:

Fun thing about Amazon is they co-mingle their providers’ inventory*, so if KMC sends them a thousand legit chains but a company running their own Amazon store sends Amazon a thousand forgeries with the same model number and packaging as the legit ones, it’s a toss-up whether or not customers will get the real deal.

*at least for companies running their own stores on Amazon. No idea if they also do this for stuff listed as being sold by Amazon.

afaik everything goes in the same bin and amazon doesn't bother checking anything

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

320 miles on the bike in 9 days. Five metrics, three of which in the stupid heat.

My legs are done.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 19, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

afaik everything goes in the same bin and amazon doesn't bother checking anything

lol that owns, even making sure you're buying from a reputable seller is just spinning the roulette wheel.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I decided to not re-up my Prime membership because of this when it was up this month.

I've also been getting a pretty good discount at an LBS that's a sponsor of my cycling club, so I haven't been too reliant on Amazon for bike stuff anyway.

Speaking of LBSs, I'm moving to LA in September. Do any of you LA bike goons have any recommendations? I'll be living in West LA.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

I decided to not re-up my Prime membership because of this when it was up this month.

I ordered a background light bias thing for my new TV

I got a plastic container with scotch tape on it with an obvious return inside that didn't work.

Amazon is imploding lol

Run away and don't order poo poo from them

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I literally yelled at one of my co-workers the get the gently caress off Amazon when he was shopping for parts for his own ride yesterday. He had no idea bike parts were getting faked on such an alarming basis.

Waiting an extra few weeks for a part from a legit supplier is a small price to pay for not having your bike fall apart and kill you.

In general Amazon is one of those places where you don't buy it if you're not ok with getting a fake. It's almost easier now to properly vet sellers using AliExpress, at least then you know you have to research the product and company if you want to buy anything that you're the slightest bit worried about failing.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 19, 2021

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

EvilJoven posted:

I literally yelled at one of my co-workers the get the gently caress off Amazon when he was shopping for parts for his own ride yesterday. He had no idea bike parts were getting faked on such an alarming basis.

Waiting an extra few weeks for a part from a legit supplier is a small price to pay for not having your bike fall apart and kill you.

In general Amazon is one of those places where you don't buy it if you're not ok with getting a fake. It's almost easier now to properly vet sellers using AliExpress, at least then you know you have to research the product and company if you want to buy anything that you're the slightest bit worried about failing.

I have run out of Shimano l03a brake pads, and the ones in both my road and gravel bike are nearing the end of their lives. As of Friday, the only place I saw some was with an Ebay seller. Are they fake? I have no idea, but the only other pads out there that I could find in stock were some $10 NUTT pads, and I don't want to trust those. Maybe you all have had better online shopping skills, or somehow your local shops have them. My area has been picked clean.

So I ordered a bunch from Ebay.

Fortunately, REI now has them in stock, so I ordered some from there too. I'll assume the REI ones are legit, and I will compare those closely to my Ebay purchase. I'll probably put the Ebay ones on the rear and see how they work. Hopefully I won't die.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
In the before times I bought some Ebay L03A brake pads in a 4 pack (pads only, no springs, came in a ziplock) for $32 and they worked perfect and just as well as any officially packaged Shimano ones. And I'm 200lbs and ride in the mountains alot. That seller still exists but doesn't seem to have L03A pads anymore, they sell alot of other pads and tons of different bike components.

The ebay market doesn't seem to have that big of discount compared to retail from REI, I probably wouldn't bother with it these days.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

last thing i bought on ebay was a guy fieri funko pop i hope its not a fake :ohdear:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'll admit I bought some knockoff Shimano cleats off Amazon. 7 bucks vs 25 was kinda hard to resist.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

I'll admit I bought some knockoff Shimano cleats off Amazon. 7 bucks vs 25 was kinda hard to resist.

I went on one short ride with some nashbar pedals I bought where extracting my goddamned foot from the little bastard felt dangerous so I do not gently caress around with off-brand cleats or clipless pedals

numberoneposter posted:

last thing i bought on ebay was a guy fieri funko pop i hope its not a fake :ohdear:

unless you are going to gently caress the funkopop it isn't a potential safety issue

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

unless you are going to gently caress the funkopop it isn't a potential safety issue

New thread title

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The heat and humidity this afternoon made the urge to ride my bike directly into the swimming pool hard to resist. (Bike is safe and dry but I am being a cool pool dad)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cool pool dad would be a pretty good forums name

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

I bought some of these and my foot kept popping out unless I cranked the tension way up

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations for aero bars? I want another position to grip.
Not looking for anything top tier; sub $200

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I'm sure you can find some Profile Design clip ons very cheap.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
There's a supply chain joke about invisible aerobars here somewhere

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There’s a never ending shortage of second hand clip on aerobars from someone who tried it once, it’s like roof racks

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Krogort posted:

My new bike finaly arrived !!!

It looks awesome and is very dynamic. But it has a longer reach than my old endurance bike so it's a bit agressive even with max spacer !
The Trek store had tons of bikes in stock, but the salesguy was on holiday and it was a mechanic doing the sales and the service was very minimal, no bike fit or anything. Which is a shame for a 4300 Euro bike.

It also came with a powermeter, yay more numbers to tell me I suck !

Shifting is awesome, brakes are a bit meh, I hope they'll get better as they wear in. They make some weird noise after warming up, and I'm not talking about going down mountains or anything.

That's a pretty bike - congrats! That drive train looks so good all shiny and new, consider never riding it so it remains pristine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I thought it was linked in here or peloton thread, but can't find it:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/that-radically-original-british-cycling-track-bike-might-not-be-so-original/

Reading it again, this stood out:

quote:

Interestingly, Bok says the British team bike actually missed out on a newer aero feature — Kú Cycle’s triathlon bike hides its raised head tube behind the rider’s arms — presumably because the design was inspired by an earlier iteration of McAinsh’s concept.
This is the Ku frame:

It's only a tri bike, so there's always gonna be aero bars and forearms out in front of that raised headtube.

The Hope track bikes also with drop bars, where the headtube is gonna eat wind either way.
It's also a stretch to say they copied your older design iteration if... that would also match the default most frames use -- head tube a reasonable clearance above the fork crown, if nothing else for better stiffness in the shorter fork legs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I mean yeah it looks similar, but most aero road bikes look pretty similar too - once you have the core idea (in this case, the wide stays), what's left? The weird stuff around the head tube?

The major distinguishing feature of the tri bike aside from that is the absurdly long fork

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 20, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

gently caress me that bike is at base around 12 grand with SRAM Force and mediocre wheels

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hasn't even been peed on yet

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I propose a new UCI rule: Bikes cannot be loving ugly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

That's a lot of the existing UCI rules tbh, that Tri bike breaks them in a whole load of ways. You still get things like the venge vias, but nothing as bad as the P5X

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The double crown aero fork and raised and wide seat stays could be considered inventive enough to have a utility patent granted (sounds like it was), and if the Hope bike infringes on the claims then regardless of where the idea came from its IP infringement.

Utility patents can be incredibly specific and anywhere from amazing to useless, and lots of things get patented - relevant to the aero bike conversation, some bike mfgs have patents on specific aero tube cross section shapes that are UCI rule compliant but offer a benefit over other shapes. It really wouldnt surprise me if even with the changes the Hope bike is infringing on the existing patents, what'll be interested to see is how its handled - afaik the hope bikes arent commercial, so you cant pull it from markets, but maybe they can claim damages due to brand identity damage or similar with having infringing product at the olympics and marketed as innovation by a competitor.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Wifi Toilet posted:

Ignore all UCI rules and fit a lunchbox to the back of my 12 thousand dollar tri bike.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

attach a lunchbox? please my tri bike is a lunchbox with multiple integrated food and beverage compartments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

afaik the hope bikes arent commercial, so you cant pull it from markets

quote:

The UCI’s rules dictate that bikes used in events must be available for purchase by the general public, so you too can be the owner of an Olympic-standard track bike. Hope asks for a £5,000 deposit to secure your order.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

That's a pretty bike - congrats! That drive train looks so good all shiny and new, consider never riding it so it remains pristine.

I am happy to report I did ride that bike and the drivetrain is now, much less shiny.
Managed to beat my local loop average speed by a wooping 0.1km/h, that is 4k euros well spent !!!
~aero gains

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Always wondered how that works when theres always new unreleased models in World tour races.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Always wondered how that works when theres always new unreleased models in World tour races.

Any equipment in development phase and not yet available for sale (prototype) must be
subject of an authorization request to the UCI Equipment Unit before its use. Authorization
will be granted only for equipment which is in the final stage of development and for which
commercialization will take place no later than 12 months after the first use in competition.
The manufacturer may request a single prolongation of the prototype status if justified by
relevant reasons.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

Prototypes are allowed in world tour races, but were not allowed in the Olympics.

Generally y'all are right, though, the Hope bikes, while technically for sale, aren't really built to be sold to the general public, the way Pinarello, Argon 18, Look and Felt's bikes are.

Fortunately those bikes are better than the hope bike so nobody wants to buy one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Day 1 of tour complete!

We chugged up the backside of a hill for a good portion of the day before finally dropping in to a ~7mi dirt descent through Nisene Marks state park, and as someone who's still a little skittish on dirt since I crashed earlier this year, it was a little nerve wracking - not to mention I only got 2 rides in on the bike with the frame loaded down this heavy.

I don't know when exactly it happened but at a certain point the fear wasn't there anymore, and I hit that flow state where the bike just feels like a natural extension of your body and it was one of the dopest things I've ever done in my life.

Topped out at 38mph according to Strava, which is wild considering how conservative I normally am on dirt, but I was clearly channeling the will of the redwoods, and the redwoods said "send it"

I can't believe I have more than a week left of this stuff. Namaste goons