Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I was going to say half or three quarter-height plantation shutters but I guess those are ruled out. I see some palms and tropical things outside so they'd be architecturally appropriate for the climate. But some gauzy sheer curtains would work really well too and would remind me way less of my grandma's house (I actually liked her plantation shutters though).

If you didn't have an actual decent view out the windows, I'd have suggested privacy glass. We have some old timely privacy glass in a couple of our windows, but said windows look out at a brick wall, so they're more for blocking the bleak view than for granting more privacy. But having privacy glass on windows that are supposed to provide a view is annoying - our PO put the privacy films on a lot of other windows and I had to peel them off because not being able to see out the not-facing-brick-wall windows started driving me insane. Privacy is now provided by my hilariously overgrown mulberry tree. Which just got me thinking about landscaping for privacy - longer term but you could plant some stuff around the house to help block being able to see in from the street or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Queen Victorian posted:

Which just got me thinking about landscaping for privacy - longer term but you could plant some stuff around the house to help block being able to see in from the street or whatever.

This is a double edged sword though, it's very inviting for potential burglars.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

skipdogg posted:

This is a double edged sword though, it's very inviting for potential burglars.

What if the landscaping was rosebushes and holly?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

I had these as the only means of blocking light in my bedroom growing up and hated it so much. I am so glad I don't live there anymore

yeah you for sure want real curtains too especially in a bedroom. That's why double curtain rods exist

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

Should have wrote that blinds and plantation shutters were turned down because wife thought they made the house too dark; I may be able to find some that don't block as much? Good to know if there are issues that window films can cause though

Also yes, wrapping paper. We just moved and and had our household goods dropped off so I just put up whatever we had in there for the moment until we bought something so I don't have to lock eyes with everyone walking by...

Top-down/bottom-up light filtering shades, imho. You can have them blocking the bottom portion of the window and open at the top giving you privacy but still plenty of light.

Edit:

mutata posted:

We'll probably do translucent cellular shades in every room and then blackout curtains over those for the bedrooms.

Gonna also talk up this shade I got for my front door from SelectBlinds, it is called a trishade. Blackout shade on the bottom and sheer on the top, I have the base of the shade attached to the door and the sheer section 'on' during the day, then switch to blackout at night. A little pricier than all my other cellular shades but I love it.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 23, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

hypnophant posted:

yeah you for sure want real curtains too especially in a bedroom. That's why double curtain rods exist

I had no power over this at the time, otherwise I would have just replace the curtains entirely

And by no power I mean no money and no credit card

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have linen curtains a 1x times fullness interior mounted. They let in a ton of light, but you can't see what's going on inside.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cafe curtains can be hung instantly with an extending tension pole. You don't even need real curtains, just use a towel or band t-shirt or birthday wrapping paper.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Top-down/bottom-up light filtering shades, imho. You can have them blocking the bottom portion of the window and open at the top giving you privacy but still plenty of light.

Edit:

Gonna also talk up this shade I got for my front door from SelectBlinds, it is called a trishade. Blackout shade on the bottom and sheer on the top, I have the base of the shade attached to the door and the sheer section 'on' during the day, then switch to blackout at night. A little pricier than all my other cellular shades but I love it.

Those look pretty cool. How well would they stand up to cats loving around with them?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PageMaster posted:

Should have wrote that blinds and plantation shutters were turned down because wife thought they made the house too dark; I may be able to find some that don't block as much? Good to know if there are issues that window films can cause though

Also yes, wrapping paper. We just moved and and had our household goods dropped off so I just put up whatever we had in there for the moment until we bought something so I don't have to lock eyes with everyone walking by...

You can get absolutely glorious lace curtains. If I had a floor-to-ceiling window I would definitely own this and also this and this, as well as the Victorian/Edwardian usuals.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Those look pretty cool. How well would they stand up to cats loving around with them?

You'd probably want cordless ones or at least install the little cord wrap things on the wall to wrap the cords around because one side will always be long regardless of shade position. Otherwise they should hold up the same as any other fabric shades.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can get absolutely glorious lace curtains. If I had a floor-to-ceiling window I would definitely own this and also this and this, as well as the Victorian/Edwardian usuals.

This poo poo is so my jam. Right now my house is full of gross plastic blinds with oversized white slats and they are the worst. When I get around to window treatments I'm totally going whole hog Victorian. No floor to ceiling windows, but some of them are still taller than I am.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Queen Victorian posted:

This poo poo is so my jam. Right now my house is full of gross plastic blinds with oversized white slats and they are the worst. When I get around to window treatments I'm totally going whole hog Victorian. No floor to ceiling windows, but some of them are still taller than I am.

You should know about Bradbury & Bradbury and Burrows Studio. Look at the pictures and dream of large houses and larger money.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I saw some photos on FB of some cool concrete staining for outdoor patios. How well does that hold up in the weather and what kind of ballpark are we talking to have somebody do it? We just have a big concrete block for a backyard deck and recently put a ton of money into the rest of the outside and this would go well with it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations! We have sone good options to go try and look at in store that aren't gigantic heavy curtains or traditional blinds that look pretty nice and hopefully work.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

peanut posted:

Cafe curtains can be hung instantly with an extending tension pole. You don't even need real curtains, just use a towel or band t-shirt or birthday wrapping paper.

That's basically what I did, except with real curtains

As a bonus they also mostly hide the horrible vinyl windows the PO installed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Looks adequate, mate!

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

D-Pad posted:

I saw some photos on FB of some cool concrete staining for outdoor patios. How well does that hold up in the weather and what kind of ballpark are we talking to have somebody do it? We just have a big concrete block for a backyard deck and recently put a ton of money into the rest of the outside and this would go well with it.

Got a picture of what you're talking about? Decorative concrete coatings are a quagmire of specialty products, small local manufacturers, and contractors who all have their own preferred products and techniques. Best bet would be to talk to some people who specialize in it, show them pictures of what you want, and look at pictures of their work. Based on what they're doing/using they can guide you on maintenance and service life, a lot of those systems just need a fresh coat of appropriate concrete sealer every few years to keep them from wearing or breaking down. Depending on the technique and level of prep needed, you may be anywhere from $4-8/sqft or so.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Final Blog Entry posted:

Got a picture of what you're talking about? Decorative concrete coatings are a quagmire of specialty products, small local manufacturers, and contractors who all have their own preferred products and techniques. Best bet would be to talk to some people who specialize in it, show them pictures of what you want, and look at pictures of their work. Based on what they're doing/using they can guide you on maintenance and service life, a lot of those systems just need a fresh coat of appropriate concrete sealer every few years to keep them from wearing or breaking down. Depending on the technique and level of prep needed, you may be anywhere from $4-8/sqft or so.

Yeah I was afraid it quagmire like you described. It's a very small porch though so that price sounds drat reasonable.

Here is what I was seeing:

And here is the porch:

Edit: One more question: You can see the two whiter patches on the right where foundation work was done recently and on the left you can just barely see the new concrete wraparound step we had put in when we got the rest of the yard fixed up. Is the different ages/texture/weathering of the different concrete going to affect how any staining looks and make it uneven or something like that?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 24, 2021

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
So that looks like an acid stain, although it could be a waterbased semitransparent stain. With acid stains they basically flood the surface and the stain reacts with the natural variations in the concrete's mineral composition giving you that mottled effect. Then they remove the excess, neutralize the acid, and apply a sealer. The effect and pattern you get what you get and the applicator has no control on how the pattern will develop. A patch will very much show through as the stain will develop differently on the concrete that was mixed and applied separately.

A waterbased semitransparent stain can give a similar effect, but its put down with a pump-up sprayer and the effect/color depth/pattern is achieved by how the person applies it. It's applied heavier, lighter, diluted, layer different colors, etc to get the variations in the stain, and then also sealed with a clear concrete sealer. Someone who knows what they're doing may be able to make it as consistent as possible on the different surfaces but would come down to a bit of skill.

Either one is definitely something to meet with folks who specialize in it and check out their portfolio of previous jobs. Make note of whatever clear coat they use so you can keep up with it and reapply as needed or call them out to reseal it every few years or so and they can last a good long time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Final Blog Entry posted:

So that looks like an acid stain, although it could be a waterbased semitransparent stain. With acid stains they basically flood the surface and the stain reacts with the natural variations in the concrete's mineral composition giving you that mottled effect. Then they remove the excess, neutralize the acid, and apply a sealer. The effect and pattern you get what you get and the applicator has no control on how the pattern will develop. A patch will very much show through as the stain will develop differently on the concrete that was mixed and applied separately.

A waterbased semitransparent stain can give a similar effect, but its put down with a pump-up sprayer and the effect/color depth/pattern is achieved by how the person applies it. It's applied heavier, lighter, diluted, layer different colors, etc to get the variations in the stain, and then also sealed with a clear concrete sealer. Someone who knows what they're doing may be able to make it as consistent as possible on the different surfaces but would come down to a bit of skill.

Either one is definitely something to meet with folks who specialize in it and check out their portfolio of previous jobs. Make note of whatever clear coat they use so you can keep up with it and reapply as needed or call them out to reseal it every few years or so and they can last a good long time.

From what I know, even with acid staining there’s more of a craft to it than just applying and letting the concrete do the work. The standout examples you see if it have a pretty complicated application with all sorts of tricks and techniques. Alternately, just dumping your acid and stain on and hoping you get a cool result doesn’t always happen and you only get one shot.

Also, for the op you obviously wouldn’t get high gloss results like that on old, weathered concrete. And yeah, I would think the patch would be noticeable, but maybe less noticeable after staining than now. Or maybe more!

Cool tub though

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

D-Pad posted:

You might also want to look into stamped overlays as that would cover any patches nicely and as far as I can tell based on hiring out some concrete work recently there isn't a huge price difference.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Cool tub though

We love it! We have a very small backyard so the options were limited. Our kids are 2 and 6 so it's the perfect size for them and our 2 year old can stand up in it. Maintenance has been very easy because it is so small. You can also buy a heater for it so it doubles as a hot tub.

I was against it at first but I'm glad my wife talked me into it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

D-Pad posted:

We love it! We have a very small backyard so the options were limited. Our kids are 2 and 6 so it's the perfect size for them and our 2 year old can stand up in it. Maintenance has been very easy because it is so small. You can also buy a heater for it so it doubles as a hot tub.

I was against it at first but I'm glad my wife talked me into it.

Your bricks are trippin me out

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Whoa. What kind of bricks are those? It reminds me of those google AI generated images where everything is rounder, and dog-like.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What in the gently caress. Until I read your replies I've never even noticed that our bricks look like that and now I can't unsee it. I guess I've only looked at our House but never our house? It looks more normal as a whole from further away. Up close it looks like the bricks have had some kind of white paint applied to them? What the hell is this?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are all sorts of smears and glazes that they put on bricks. We had a gross 80s pink smear on our brick trims which led me to limewash the whole thing and be done with it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well who doesn’t want their brick wall to look like a giraffe’s rear end?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The house I grew up in hat that white stuff on it, and also looked like they'd thrown bolts and nuts into the kiln while the bricks were still wet. My dad said it was for texture, to make things more interesting. I guess it worked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: thread title, just woke up to a pretty serious thump in the night. The gumbo limbo tree outside decided to shed a limb onto my roof directly over the master bedroom. Forearm diameter, maybe a bit bigger. Have to wait till daylight to properly evaluate.

gently caress home ownership.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

What shade of green is that wall?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That there is "Wall Green".

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What shade of green is that wall?

Derbyshire which is basically the darkest emerald color SW has. More pics of that room here: https://imgur.com/a/Mk2DE8r

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Derbyshire which is basically the darkest emerald color SW has. More pics of that room here: https://imgur.com/a/Mk2DE8r

Nice. I bought a house last October and both of the bathrooms walls are painted calf manure yellow, and this looks like a good candidate.

I love dark green. The house had a 25 y.o. roof and light blue Dutch siding. I decided to turn it into an inverse evergreen tree instead, using “evergreen” colored lap siding I had to find through Google myself because all the contractors green siding samples werent any darker than mushy peas.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That works (heh) really well with the brown shingles.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Nice. I bought a house last October and both of the bathrooms walls are painted calf manure yellow, and this looks like a good candidate.

I love dark green. The house had a 25 y.o. roof and light blue Dutch siding. I decided to turn it into an inverse evergreen tree instead, using “evergreen” colored lap siding I had to find through Google myself because all the contractors green siding samples werent any darker than mushy peas.

Nice, looks better without the shutters too. I really like the dark green living room a lot, it is in no way oppressive and doesn't make the room feel smaller, but the warm colored wood floor and white trim everywhere helps with that a lot. I am now about to paint a connecting hallway and dining room and am thinking of going with the same color but two shades lighter.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

This could land in like three different threads, so I'm just picking one here.

Should I get a 14" or 18" chainsaw? Primary use is chopping up logs that will be split for firewood. We're not talking about redwoods here, but big enough trunks that I'll split the rounds into thirds or quarters. Just, you know, normal trees.

I'm already committed to brand, type etc. It's just a question of size.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This could land in like three different threads, so I'm just picking one here.

Should I get a 14" or 18" chainsaw? Primary use is chopping up logs that will be split for firewood. We're not talking about redwoods here, but big enough trunks that I'll split the rounds into thirds or quarters. Just, you know, normal trees.

I'm already committed to brand, type etc. It's just a question of size.

Get the smallest one you can get away with for the size of your logs.......they get heavy.

If the wood is particularly dense/difficult to cut a smaller bar on a larger cc saw works well (like, get the 18, put a 14" bar on it, or buy a 20 and put an 18 on it).

I've got a great 25" bar saw, but it only comes out when I ABSOLUTELY need it. For anything I can get away with I'm using my much lighter weight 16".

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Motronic posted:

Get the smallest one you can get away with for the size of your logs.......they get heavy.

If the wood is particularly dense/difficult to cut a smaller bar on a larger cc saw works well (like, get the 18, put a 14" bar on it, or buy a 20 and put an 18 on it).

I've got a great 25" bar saw, but it only comes out when I ABSOLUTELY need it. For anything I can get away with I'm using my much lighter weight 16".

How often do you break out the HotSaw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

toplitzin posted:

How often do you break out the HotSaw?

Entirely too much since I have a wooded lot with 60+ foot trees, many of them ash (and therefore slowly dying from EAB).