Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

IG-88 posted:

I promise you I'll update as soon as he sells. We're a huge sales team - like 300+ and there's a crypto chat he runs where like 50 of the team are in on and to be honest, he sometimes makes good calls if all you give a poo poo about is making money. I know, I know. (I've yet to follow his advice)

You don't hear about the bad calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

IG-88 posted:

My coworker just bought one of those Punk NFTs for 7k.

“Watch me flip this in 2 months for 200-300%”

find out which one it is and use it on all your work profiles

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

IG-88 posted:

My coworker just bought one of those Punk NFTs for 7k.

“Watch me flip this in 2 months for 200-300%”

Aren't they like over a hundred k each now? Unless he bought like a fractionalized piece of one.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
God, this poo poo is so far beyond tulip bulbs and beanie babies now. Truly a new era of scams and grift.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's not even limited to just the crypto space. There's speculative bubbles across all sorts of supply limited items with video games and sports cards now selling for $1mm+.

Wealthy people have a shitload of money.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

novamute posted:

Aren't they like over a hundred k each now? Unless he bought like a fractionalized piece of one.

I don’t think there’s much rhyme or reason to the pricing some have. He said it was listed for 10k but talked the guy down. Today he’s hyping up doge punks. This is good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent those reddit pages, and various discords, just massive selection bias and you only hear about SUPA STAR CALLERS successful bets as long as they have code monkey money to throw , and then a new hot new GALAXY BRAIN CALLER replaces the old tool.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i have some stock in Visa.

its been going down the past week or so... okay what's the news on Visa?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/visa-buys-cryptopunk-nft-for-150000.html

quote:

Visa jumps into the NFT craze, buying a ‘CryptoPunk’ for $150,000

What in the gently caress... how does this even make sense for Visa to buy this.

quote:

“We think NFTs will play an important role in the future of retail, social media, entertainment, and commerce,” Cuy Sheffield, head of crypto at Visa, said in a blogpost Monday.

Okay what the gently caress does that have to do with Visa....

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What kind of name is Cuy?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

that moron is in a senior (?) position in the company. that's possibly bad. stonk go down

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i thought stonk types loved butts, why would a company doing supposed pro butt things make number go down?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Stonks and Bitcoin are locked in an eternal war that only one can win.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

i have some stock in Visa.

its been going down the past week or so... okay what's the news on Visa?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/visa-buys-cryptopunk-nft-for-150000.html

What in the gently caress... how does this even make sense for Visa to buy this.

That story made me think of this image for the first time in years:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

He's head of crypto at Visa... VP position.

https://twitter.com/VisaNews/status/1429745230023208969

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

$150,000.

What the hell

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Here's to hoping it becomes a historic artifact sooner rather than later.

However, this is hellworld, so

zedprime posted:

Stonks and Bitcoin are locked in an eternal war that only one can win.

We can already guess where this is going

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Much like the recent record high "rated" game purchases, I assume NFT stuff is 100% driven by money laundering

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is the art itself actually encoded in the blockchain gor these things or is it another url linked deal?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

is the art itself actually encoded in the blockchain gor these things or is it another url linked deal?

Search your feelings. You already know the truth.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

it is literally a big sprite sheet and you get a number that points to your sprite

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's a json with a url.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wow that sucks. i was thinking the low res aspect would make it possible to encode. still pointless but at least that be kinda novel.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have an idea for a new innovative company that will disrupt the NFT market by issuing NFTs for every existing NFT there is elsewhere. Who's with me?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have an idea for a new innovative company that will disrupt the NFT market by issuing NFTs for every existing NFT there is elsewhere. Who's with me?

That would loving own

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Looks like OnlyFans isn't going to ditch sex workers after all. Apparently the backlash was severe enough that somebody blinked.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

Much like the recent record high "rated" game purchases, I assume NFT stuff is 100% driven by money laundering

This isn't actually the case. There is some money laundering taking place but it's driven by a small group of people profiting off a speculative bubble. Watch this documentary about the game collecting bubble it's really great:

https://youtu.be/rvLFEh7V18A

Basically the founders of Heritage Auctions, WETA, and a few rich guys are behind everything and seeded the bubble by making some outrageous purchases then going on a hardcore stealth marketing campaign.

I am pretty sure NFTs are the same and I remember that first Beeple nft was very similar in that Beeple and this other rich dude with a shady group of backers were the buyers.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

This isn't actually the case. There is some money laundering taking place but it's driven by a small group of people profiting off a speculative bubble. Watch this documentary about the game collecting bubble it's really great:

https://youtu.be/rvLFEh7V18A

Basically the founders of Heritage Auctions, WETA, and a few rich guys are behind everything and seeded the bubble by making some outrageous purchases then going on a hardcore stealth marketing campaign.

I am pretty sure NFTs are the same and I remember that first Beeple nft was very similar in that Beeple and this other rich dude with a shady group of backers were the buyers.

Yeah I was gonna say a lot of it is probably just essentially fake transactions to make it look like stuff is worth more

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I was gonna say a lot of it is probably just essentially fake transactions to make it look like stuff is worth more

e.g. the diamond NFT tweets

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
$240 dollars per loving pixel.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Once again the biggest corporations in the world are waking up to crypto. When will you?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

salt shakeup posted:

Once again the biggest corporations in the world are waking up to crypto. When will you?

Grifters gonna grift.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

salt shakeup posted:

Rat poison doesn't stop being rat poison because a rat eats it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

salt shakeup posted:

how much have you spent on the jpegs?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Rat poison doesn't stop being rat poison because a rat eats it.

Well you see, poison is about dosage and even WATER is toxic in large enough quantities.

Checkmate, losers :smuggo:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Let's tune into all the companies that very publicly announced ~*blockchain technologies*~ back in 2019 and see how they're making out...oh, not a single one of them mention it any more? What a surprise.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

how much have you spent on the jpegs?

I'm not really into collectables. I think NFTs are kinda stupid but so are baseball cards and stamps and people spend millions on them.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
i will not rest until Subway will let me pay for a sandwich in Bitcoin baseball cards, the true currency of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

salt shakeup posted:

I'm not really into collectables. I think NFTs are kinda stupid but so are baseball cards and stamps and people spend millions on them.

After you buy a baseball card or a stamp, you still have that card or stamp forever. You have an nft until some rear end in a top hat lets a domain lapse.

New grift - 24 hour NFTs. The ultimate status symbol. I sell you a url, put that in the Blockchain, then delete it after 24 hours.