Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dren posted:

What do we say to the "you're gonna get it eventually" takes? I assume in a couple of months we're going to have more and better data on vaccine effectiveness & outcomes in vaccinated people due to the delta wave. I guess I'll just wait till then to understand just how much suffering the "you're gonna get it eventually" crowd is allowing.

Personally, I think there's no way I don't get it eventually because I have kids and my kids will have to go to school at some point (not until after vaccines for kids, that's for drat sure). I can wear a respirator when out of the house but I cannot reasonably expect my kids to stay masked around their peers for the duration of the pandemic if that duration is another 5-10 years. I will continue to encourage them to mask when case rates are high, assuming that information is still published going forward.

edit: if I ever end up hospitalized with covid I will be sure to wear my "covid is over" shirt to the hospital

I do think I'm going to get it eventually but I would like to postpone that as long as possible because the longer I can go without getting it the better we'll understand it. Also I'd prefer not to get it during the height of a wave when hospitals are full. The outlook for someone that gets COVID today is far better than it was last year and I expect it'll be farther better another year from now. The antibody treatment, while being used as a grift, is actually pretty effective if you can get it. A booster will be helpful and I plan on getting one later this year. There are therapeutics in Phase 3 testing, and so on. The whole "you've gonna get it eventually" is just like "Learn to live with the virus". Yeah you gotta learn to live with it, but that doesn't mean going back to 2019. And yeah I'm gonna get it at some point, but that doesn't mean I should be resigned to getting it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
covid over

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

OH WOW HOW BRAVE OF HIM AND TO TAKE SUCH QUICK AND DECISIVE ACTION TOO!!!! AMAZING LEADER!! WE ARE TRULY BLESSED

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dren posted:

What do we say to the "you're gonna get it eventually" takes? I assume in a couple of months we're going to have more and better data on vaccine effectiveness & outcomes in vaccinated people due to the delta wave. I guess I'll just wait till then to understand just how much suffering the "you're gonna get it eventually" crowd is allowing.

Personally, I think there's no way I don't get it eventually because I have kids and my kids will have to go to school at some point (not until after vaccines for kids, that's for drat sure). I can wear a respirator when out of the house but I cannot reasonably expect my kids to stay masked around their peers for the duration of the pandemic if that duration is another 5-10 years. I will continue to encourage them to mask when case rates are high, assuming that information is still published going forward.

edit: if I ever end up hospitalized with covid I will be sure to wear my "covid is over" shirt to the hospital
The "you're gonna get it eventually" takes only make sense if getting it provided long lasting immunity (in which case the fact that you will eventually get it would mean it's just a choice between getting it now or getting it later.) If the immunity only lasts 6 months it's completely stupid to think that way because getting covid now means you're going to get covid more times.

It would be like saying "You're probably going to get a flu at least once in the future so why attempt not to get the flu now?"

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

gently caress yeah.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah, I'm 100% convinced it's dudes that want to check out of life and they see this as an honorable way to go out on their extremely dumb and idiotic terms.

a pandemic of the despondent

it’s like those guys after a domestic dispute they decide to kill their kids first then themselves but now at a macro level

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dren posted:

What do we say to the "you're gonna get it eventually" takes?

I tell people that it's possible to completely avoid ever getting COVID as long as you don't unmask in front of another person [not already in your bubble, and provided you're wearing a good mask].

The next response I usually get is something along the lines you "you can't keep doing that forever!", in which case I just say that I plan on doing so.

Obviously having a kid is going to change how truthful you're being when you say that, but...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

I do think I'm going to get it eventually but I would like to postpone that as long as possible because the longer I can go without getting it the better we'll understand it. Also I'd prefer not to get it during the height of a wave when hospitals are full. The outlook for someone that gets COVID today is far better than it was last year and I expect it'll be farther better another year from now. The antibody treatment, while being used as a grift, is actually pretty effective if you can get it. A booster will be helpful and I plan on getting one later this year. There are therapeutics in Phase 3 testing, and so on. The whole "you've gonna get it eventually" is just like "Learn to live with the virus". Yeah you gotta learn to live with it, but that doesn't mean going back to 2019. And yeah I'm gonna get it at some point, but that doesn't mean I should be resigned to getting it now.

:same:

I'd also prefer that if/when I do get it, I get it a minimal number of times

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Ready to see my president's six prong plan at 5PM!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

etalian posted:

As the deviants spin up the next round of plus size anime girl fan art.

Yes please

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

40% of federal employees are expected to tell biden to go gently caress himself today. nothing will happen to them

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Extremely late to force vaxx on feds but it's still nice to hear

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Sounds like it is really going to turn the tide:

Fox News posted:

The White House has teased all week that the president will detail his six-prong plan to battle the COVID-19 pandemic, as cases rise in many parts of the country because of the more contagious delta variant. Those prongs will be vaccine requirements; booster shots; keeping schools open; increasing testing and requiring masks; economic recovery; and improving patient care.

The initial list of the president's plan is very light on details. It is not clear, for example, exactly who the president is going to call on to require masks – states, local governments, businesses, some combination of the three, or something entirely different.

It's similarly unclear who the president will be asking to impose vaccine mandates. Currently, most vaccine mandates are coming from employers rather than governments.

Potentially indicating where Biden will go on vaccine mandates, Biden will sign an executive order Thursday requiring federal workers and contractors to be vaccinated, the Associated Press reported.

Biden is likely to expand on those details and more in an address set for 5 p.m. Thursday.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Testvan posted:

covid over

lmao labor day tricked all the models again

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rynn posted:

Our CEO sent an email out yesterday that they’re finally approving hybrid wfh/in office work (when we go back to the office starting next year). I think they budged because people responded in surveys saying in short, gently caress company culture I want wfh or I’ll look elsewhere for a job

If anything Covid taught most workers just how stupid being physically in office and the managerial parasite class they are under are

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

Can't have positive tests if everyone is partying over the 3 day weekend

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Could Covid-19 finally end hunger in America? - Politico

No!

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Petey posted:

re: gym, if anyone wants the cad plans for this (and some mild modifications i made when actually building it), dm me

where does the blade go?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

“Please be advised that the General Assembly declined to extend Personnel Cabinet Memorandum 21-15 in House Joint Resolution 1 (SS 2021), passed on September 7, 2021, effectively ending the Memorandum and the 10 days of emergency sick leave available under it.”

Government wants me broke and dead.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Risutora posted:

where does the blade go?

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stereotype posted:

even though lots of people are dying, you don't know hardly any of them, if any at all. it really isn't important most of the time

thats not what my teacher, the lord Buddha says :o:

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

The White House has teased all week that the president will detail his six-prong plan to battle the COVID-19 pandemic, as cases rise in many parts of the country because of the more contagious delta variant. Those prongs will be vaccine requirements; booster shots; keeping schools open; increasing testing and requiring masks; economic recovery; and improving patient care.

thats seven prongs

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I wonder what the Optimum Time for my pregnant wife to get a booster is. She is like 5 months out from her 2nd shot now and another 5 months until the due date. Lol.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

we're going on fifteen months of 'economic recovery' at this point.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Risutora posted:

where does the blade go?

Lmfao that's what I thought when I first saw that pic. At first I thought there was a scientific breakthrough and it was 4 sided

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

We've been in economic recovery since 2009.

Apr 7, 2003

The economy is reopening, for real this time, get to fuckin' Applebees already

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V shaped recovery!!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
biden's 6 prong plan for me to give him the stimulus money back

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Risutora posted:

thats seven prongs

3 prongs

vaccine requirements - feds and contractors; they can actually do this, but hilarious if the SC steps in

booster shots - overriding FDA and ignoring WHO, can do this

keeping schools open - everyone is already doing this

increasing testing and requiring masks - will not go above "calls upon" language, changing nothing

economic recovery - whatever Jamie Dimon says

improving patient care - federal deployments of military medical staff will improve care for the several hundred that covers, but will not offset the many actions and inactions of the administration landing people on ICU waiting lists to begin with

egg on my face if improving patient care is something else, but I can't imagine what else it would be

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

fosborb posted:

I hope the one that's going back in time is right

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

24 hrs past Pfizer booster: my arm is sore, that's about it.

also an aside: 3M Aura N95s own. very very comfortable since they don't strap on as tight and move with your face.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
that was four or five prongs ago!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

3 prongs

vaccine requirements - feds and contractors; they can actually do this, but hilarious if the SC steps in

booster shots - overriding FDA and ignoring WHO, can do this

keeping schools open - everyone is already doing this

increasing testing and requiring masks - will not go above "calls upon" language, changing nothing

economic recovery - whatever Jamie Dimon says

improving patient care - federal deployments of military medical staff will improve care for the several hundred that covers, but will not offset the many actions and inactions of the administration landing people on ICU waiting lists to begin with

egg on my face if improving patient care is something else, but I can't imagine what else it would be

as always, biden's insistence for over a year now that schools stay open with no caveats indicates that he doesnt think the pandemic is serious or needs to be dealt with in any real way. anyone who voted biden because they thought he'd be better on covid policy than trump was lying to themselves

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Biden's six dongs

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/ryanmasri_/status/1280195665302376453

This is from 7/6/2020 and over a half-million deaths ago lmao. Welcome back to eatin' good in the neighborhood, we missed you.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the federal government sure is loving sluggish

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lastgirl posted:

the federal government sure is loving sluggish

remember when we all got checks and deposits within a few weeks of the idea even being floated because the federal government decided means testing didn't actually have to happen this time

shame the federal government could never do that

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

fosborb posted:

A $50 Biden Buck Voucher for healthcare services and a coupon for an extra scoop of ice cream at the ICU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Maybe I should try to start a union and get canned since I'm probably going to quit soon anyway.