Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Bought some Keo Blades and these fuckers require a T8 bit to swap out the blades, I love working on bikes

The microswitches on di2 are mounted with a T7 screw :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

A month ago i swapped my Shimano 11-speed 11-32 cassette for an 11-34 with no issues. Now I'm swapping back but can't quite get the lockring to engage with the original 11-32. There's a bottom spacer that was always sitting on the hub, and if I remove it I can install the 11-32 but it feels loose, so it seems like that bottom spacer should stay. The 11-34 still fits fine (with the original bottom spacer) but I've tried to install the 11-32 several times without success. Is there something obvious I'm missing with spacers or seating or something?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I know it sounds simple but one thing to double check that a lot of people gently caress up: double check the orientation of your smallest cog with the freehub splines.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

loaf posted:

A month ago i swapped my Shimano 11-speed 11-32 cassette for an 11-34 with no issues. Now I'm swapping back but can't quite get the lockring to engage with the original 11-32. There's a bottom spacer that was always sitting on the hub, and if I remove it I can install the 11-32 but it feels loose, so it seems like that bottom spacer should stay. The 11-34 still fits fine (with the original bottom spacer) but I've tried to install the 11-32 several times without success. Is there something obvious I'm missing with spacers or seating or something?

The 11-32t does not use the 1.8mm spacer.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

:hmmyes:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

I can’t throw Shimano in the trash until it ships in Feb 2023.
Harsh but fair.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

any reason my shifters would spontaneously change what each one shifts? formerly the inner ones shifted the small ring and the outer ones shifted the big ring, now the right ones shift the small ring and the left ones shift the big ring

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'd like to see video of that in action.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd suggest either a spooky ghost messing with you or possibly you got a bump on the head

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

someone reprogrammed your Di2 setup as a joke

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Clark Nova posted:

We taught them to shift wrong... As a joke.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Clark Nova posted:

or a spooky ghost :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
yeah if you're not on di2 then there's been a glitch in the matrix

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Thanks, that was totally the problem! I guess I forgot the 11-34 came with that spacer.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

so it’s either a ghost or a glitch in the matrix, got it

will get a video as soon as i can find someone to hold my phone while i futz with it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

kimbo305 posted:

I have a couple 1" TD headsets in my parts bin. You can have one for cost of shipping from Boston, if that's cost effective.

Absolutely is if you plan to experiment with your stem / bar position.
Most 25.4mm clamp stems won't let you swap off without removing bar tape, which is risking having to replace that, too.

Just wanted to say thank you again for the headset! I got it swapped yesterday, put on a shorter stem, a cx bar, and rebuilt the front hub and now I'm back on the road. I'll pay forward your generosity. A buddy of mine who's a huge cyclist and engineer wants a project for his new lathe, so we're going to build a converter stem to play around with 1-1/8" threadless stems.

I did an effortpost in the bike commuting thread.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I found a local shop with a bunch of 11 speed chains. Truly remarkable stuff. I only bought 2 so I don’t feel like I’m cleaning them out.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I put a scavenged Tiagra front derailleur on my bike, with a new cable and housing. Shifting it to the larger gear with the brifter is incredibly difficult, to the point where I probably wouldn’t have the leverage necessary while seated on the bike, and it snaps back hard to the low position when I downshift. Is this a fixable issue?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Either the spring of the derailleur is too strong (unlikely imo) or your shifter cable is experiencing too much friction / is caught up in something. Old cable guides could be the issue for instance.

If you've follow the guide below and it still doesn't work I'd say check the cables or buy a new tiagra front mech, they're like 20 bucks if in stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNG7g83lI-s

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Baronash posted:

I put a scavenged Tiagra front derailleur on my bike, with a new cable and housing. Shifting it to the larger gear with the brifter is incredibly difficult, to the point where I probably wouldn’t have the leverage necessary while seated on the bike, and it snaps back hard to the low position when I downshift. Is this a fixable issue?

Sounds like the cable hasn't been routed correctly around the appropriate pins/guides on the FD.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That reminds me, my Force 22 FD works fine and the lever isn’t stiff, but when I drop from 50t to 34t it’s almost violent, and somewhat loud. New housing and cables didn’t change it. Is that just how the Force 22 FD sounds? I can’t remember if it was ever better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's SRAM at its best.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That reminds me, my Force 22 FD works fine and the lever isn’t stiff, but when I drop from 50t to 34t it’s almost violent, and somewhat loud. New housing and cables didn’t change it. Is that just how the Force 22 FD sounds? I can’t remember if it was ever better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Never forget.

Yeah the FD just dumps all the tension and hits the stopper, so it's loud (Force 22 too)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What tool is there for those kind of BB cup?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Lockring:(far right in your photo): https://www.parktool.com/product/crank-and-bottom-bracket-wrench-hcw-5?category=Crank%20%26%20Bottom%20Bracket
Adjustable cup(far left): https://www.parktool.com/product/adjustable-cup-wrench-hcw-11?category=Crank%20%26%20Bottom%20Bracket
To spin in the other cup (second from right): https://www.parktool.com/product/pin-spanner-green-spa-1?category=Crank%20%26%20Bottom%20Bracket

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Park tool HCW-4 and HCW-5?

E;fb

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah, HCW-11 is the one. The Sunlite bb shown and the one I was looking at have the 16mm flats on both sides and no pinholes.
16mm cone wrench on one end and adjustable wrench on the other wasn't enough for one side, the non-adjustable end.

This was a free tuneup event, and I put the thing back together, telling the owner that I left it adusted a little loose to reduce all the pinging from the super pitted bearings, and that he should replace the BB within the month.

e: had a Trixie wrench for the lockring, at least, but was just sorta rolling the dice on which tools to bring.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
New used bike. It's a steel frame and has a completely seized aluminum seatpost. There is a gap between the post and the tube. Can I drip ammonia in that gap over a few days or do I need to disassemble the bottom bracket and fill the whole tube with ammonia?

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 12, 2021

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Just curious - how is there a gap? Is the tube or post deformed / destroyed? Have you tried putting the saddle in a vice and rotating the frame?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
After trying lots of ways of twisting the post, I pried it open a little to help get more penetration for my oil. The gap is less than .5 mm. And now I'm realizing I'm probably fighting aluminum oxide.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Giant Metal Robot posted:

After trying lots of ways of twisting the post, I pried it open a little to help get more penetration for my oil. The gap is less than .5 mm. And now I'm realizing I'm probably fighting aluminum oxide.

You could try semi-legendary Facebook group My Seat Post is Totally Stuck and All I Got was this Lousy FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/372288659621602

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Someone give a good reason I shouldn't(apart from price) buy a couple Schwalbe Big Apple's for my tired old SE Big Ripper 29er BMX for $100 AUD.
Currently running some small knob Maxxis', centre tread getting pretty dang cracked.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They feel very sluggish despite having smoother tread than MTB tires. I dunno how that works. But I'm sure it'll last for ages.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Ahh poo, was hoping for less rolling resistance. Maybe if I pump them up to 60psi for a nasty time.
Honestly just got an itchy wallet.
Cheers for info!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mechanical Pencil posted:

Someone give a good reason I shouldn't(apart from price) buy a couple Schwalbe Big Apple's for my tired old SE Big Ripper 29er BMX for $100 AUD.
Currently running some small knob Maxxis', centre tread getting pretty dang cracked.

What are you gonna ride them on?
How wide a tyre do you want?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just learned about huge bmx bikes because there's a local handful of sketchy lookin dudes that ride them through traffic around my town doing wheelies and being hooligans. Are there events in the bmx world that actually call for 29ers or is it just a fun thing?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I just learned about huge bmx bikes because there's a local handful of sketchy lookin dudes that ride them through traffic around my town doing wheelies and being hooligans. Are there events in the bmx world that actually call for 29ers or is it just a fun thing?

Are you sure those are actual BMX bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

BMX events are 20 and 24" with 24s being old dudes racing basically and everything else is 20", with a special shout out to 22" for people that are 7 feet tall and don't care about never finding parts.

26" and up are for vanity bikes and it's pretty much a California thing. Notably SE Bikes make them and have sponsored riders like Marshawn Lynch who promote basically sidewalk cruising and parade related show bike stuff.

It's pretty cool if you like bikes imo