Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Share Bear posted:

i find the most practical skill for anyone has to learn on your feet, cs/se tracks just give you more stuff to work with as a basis for that

most non startup jobs are maintaing garbage software made by someone who quit the company 10 years ago

Yeah exactly. I got reaal good at using grep at my old workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

god what a lovely snipe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hbag shooting to be the type of person who is banned from the imp zone

larry parrish?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Corla Plankun posted:

its both sad and funny that you have been like this your whole life lol

Right? I should remember to tell my therapist that one.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

For you degree-havers, how good are the book recommendations in this track https://teachyourselfcs.com/ in regards to actually teaching yourself CS concepts?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cjs: got pulled off my usual team to work on a solo project and am getting completely checked out. i have to convert some stuff over to an open source project to contribute it but nothing works the same, their documentation is worthless, and in the usual corporate open source tradition anyone who's monitoring a public slack channel responds to my extremely precise technical questions with a link to the front page of the docs. i'm making no progress and seriously dread every status update. keep getting told "reach out to someone if you need help." WHO?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the person who told you to reach out. if they're the wrong person they need to point you at the right person

also lol at the open source comment. you're so right, and it's a big part of why i don't really try to gently caress with oss stuff for the most part any more. you can only ask a question, get told to read the docs that don't answer it, figure out that you need to write the dang thing yourself, and then do it so many times before it's like "gently caress you guys, if you want me to write your code at least answer me like a human"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Sometimes you just gotta reach out and touch faith

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Armitag3 posted:

For you degree-havers, how good are the book recommendations in this track https://teachyourselfcs.com/ in regards to actually teaching yourself CS concepts?

This book has a very cheesy cover but is very good on basic software development stuff.

Also this one

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hbag shooting to be the type of person who is banned

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What do you mean when you say posting for 16 hours straight every day isn't healthy for a growing person?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

That link keeps calling programmers "engineers," do not recommend

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

can only comment on ones i've read from there:

for the the development part, i wouldn't pick sicp cause people bounce off scheme for practicality, i typically recommend https://www.udacity.com/course/design-of-computer-programs--cs212 to people instead of the python one they have there

skiena's algo design manual is very good

whereas "how to solve it" is more about how to TEACH problem solving rather than how to APPLY problem solving. you can infer the latter from the former, but i think it gets too much play for the latter, still a decent book to read. i hate the introduction but it really picks up after the fact.

designing data intensive systems is very practical and likely a good chunk of what you'd be working with in 2021 in terms of frameworks/applications/environments

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Don't call yourself a software engineer unless you're a program that drives trains

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This book has a very cheesy cover but is very good on basic software development stuff.

Head first books are the best. I've read a bunch of them and they're always good

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Thanks, gonna order some of these and start boning up

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

Head first books are the best. I've read a bunch of them and they're always good

Agreed, a lot of people are put off by the cheesy covers but they have some excellent information in very digestible language.

That algorithms book is what I used in college, and it's a fantastic reference. I wouldn't buy a hard copy though as I think it's still a couple hundred dollars.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What do you mean when you say posting for 16 hours straight every day isn't healthy for a growing person?

if they dont post that much their posting posture is gonna be terrible

10000 hours and all

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

the most popular software i ever wrote was the original blockchain & bitcoin implementation

you rat bastard

Apr 7, 2003

Al Gore Rhythms

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Armitag3 posted:

Thanks, gonna order some of these and start boning up

gonna pull some boners?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

President Beep posted:

gonna pull some boners?

Bone down

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
So bone up, bone, bone, bone down
911 is a joke in yo town

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnimeIsTrash posted:

have used this book, and it's good

also, when i got it a co-worker pointed out that pictures of the same woman had also been used for some kind of std advertisement

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

strong 2001 energy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

prefect posted:

also, when i got it a co-worker pointed out that pictures of the same woman had also been used for some kind of std advertisement

wow I've seen her selling penis enlargement!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Head First into Darude - Sandstorm

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

let's not have any poo poo talking about darude

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

prefect posted:

Always use standard libraries.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
imagine reading a book

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the basic reason software eng is rarer than cs is that sofware eng cannot self perpetuate: they wont take you for phds in jack poo poo w software eng degree, usually.

you dont want a phd unless you'll defy any and all advice not to get a phd

name of major in degree counts for 10x less than uni name. pick whatever you'd like, the decision has already been made. anything not hyperlocal doesnt know about your podunk place and as i keep repeating, you should get the gently caress to a figgieland

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the difference between peeps who actually did uni and book readers is that someone cracked the whip for them to do exercises and high stakes tests. peeps like to hate on high stakes tests but they work, as instruments of learning. if and only if you have the will to do the problems you can go and learn poo poo from textbooks

you often cannot get to paper reading sophistication in a field this way. insane amounts of unpublished tribal knowledge in neural nets land, for example

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there's only a couple programming books I like. This is one of em

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the difference between peeps who actually did uni and book readers is that someone cracked the whip for them to do exercises and high stakes tests. peeps like to hate on high stakes tests but they work, as instruments of learning. if and only if you have the will to do the problems you can go and learn poo poo from textbooks

yeah you never see things like high stakes tests of your knowledge at work, that's for sure

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife got the L L Bean bug and bought me a bunch of flannel shirts and I am horny as gently caress for cold weather. I do not give a gently caress, jeans + a flannel shirt + chukka boots are good to ~30 F or so.

tell me you’ve never experienced real cold weather without telling me you’ve never experienced real cold weather

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I skipped two pages to make that lovely post

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you often cannot get to paper reading sophistication in a field this way. insane amounts of unpublished tribal knowledge in neural nets land, for example

i've just now been dipping my toes in nn stuff and talking to some of my ai expert coworkers. the number of times i've just gotten shrugged shoulders and, 'there's probably some people out there who know the answer to that but there's no way in hell they're sharing it' is pretty crazy

i feel like 9/10s of my personal project is just gonna be trial & erroring shitloads of different configurations and training methodologies and seeing what sticks vs what doesn't

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've just now been dipping my toes in nn stuff and talking to some of my ai expert coworkers. the number of times i've just gotten shrugged shoulders and, 'there's probably some people out there who know the answer to that but there's no way in hell they're sharing it' is pretty crazy

i feel like 9/10s of my personal project is just gonna be trial & erroring shitloads of different configurations and training methodologies and seeing what sticks vs what doesn't

sounds to me like you have successfully absorbed all the current best practices.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cls: got my left side wisdoms out finally, took them longer to nitrous me than it did for him to pull the teeth out. maybe two minutes tops, what a pro..

i'm banned from driving for three days, apparently. good

wait, how am i going to fill these prescriptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are a buncha ways to interpret the neural net, all of them brutally obscure and academic and useful in surprisingly limited cases

1. dynamical system (fucky wucky difference eq)
2. stat mech system
3. loving around in a linearalizable thing (really a manifold)
4. constraint satisfaction thing. notably this was the pdp approach
5. hierarchical generalized additive model with poo poo stuck on it (the statisticians favored view)
6. inverse problem
7. control problem
8. cortical column poo poo (the wrong one lol)
9. dfa with poo poo in it
10. lovely simulation of nfa
11. fuckin around w simplicial structure
12 linear program w poo poo stuck in it
13. integer program w poo poo taken out