Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
also, why would hal try to kill grandi? grandi? being killed by hal? hal and grandi? one of them killing each other? those two guys? and then hal kills grandi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Maerlyn posted:

Lazy Townwolf has been spotted I think

curious about this, why the town call on sandywolfman?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Grandicap posted:

Tomm wasn't a cop, he had an ethic cop, which is basically just to catch someone in a lie. This game doesn't appear to have alignment cops unless it's someone's personality.

Yeah, yeah, I didn't look much at what I wrote. I understand.

I'll say you're looking pretty town to me right now, and re-reading D1 seems to confirm that. I believe you'd be targeted for a nightkill, though I don't know if we can infer whodunnit from there without observators. I assume scum is playing in a somehow coordinated fashion.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Going from the absence of a NK and the fact that nobody else has admitted to a protection or to being attacked, I'd suppose it makes sense that Grandi's shooting would be the missing NK and not someone going all vig on them. I do expect that scum would coordinate so whoever's shooting is not immediately obvious to everyone from the D1 discussion.

Then again I've never been scum, so.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I also don't really get how you came to that conclusion Sandwolf.

This seems so specific, though?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Somberbrero (1): b-minus1
Toalpaz (1): merk
Hal Insandenza (1): Sandwolf
Epsilon Plus (1): Yami Fenrir
Grandicap (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf

Not Voting (10): Bifauxnen, Epsilon Plus, Grandicap, Hal Insandenza, Maerlyn, PERPETUAL IDIOT, PlasticAutomaton, Shellception, Somberbrero, Toalpaz

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 26th, 2021 at 11 p.m. GMT -- that's in about 2 days, 4 hours.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
She’ll and Grandicap are confirmed town. So we are up to 3 confirmed townies on day 2. We’re close to breaking this game wide open

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

She’ll and Grandicap are confirmed town. So we are up to 3 confirmed townies on day 2. We’re close to breaking this game wide open

Are you counting yourself as the third?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Are you counting yourself as the third?

Why wouldn't he? The thing is, do we want to count him as the third?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

He said we are up to three confirmed townies. I think he means himself.
I am assuming he is implying some sort of cop on people who visited him, or an Ecco cop. Which is why he is clearing you.
Because confirmed town is too strong of a statement if it just base on the fact that you visited him and he survived.
A copesque claim without pressure would come close to confirmed town, and the way he went about it, trying to get many visitors doesn't make sense as a gambit you'd play together.
A scum gambit with what b did would he claim 1 scum visited him out of x visitors, but I ky having one visitor threw off that plan. But I think that is mega unlikely.
I think I am cool with putting you both in the strong town category, but I hate throwing around confirmed town when it is just exceptionally likely town.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Shellception posted:

Why wouldn't he? The thing is, do we want to count him as the third?

Are you still leaning town on binus even though his ability apparently cost not just your watch, but another of your 1-shots, and he was asking for even more people to visit, presumably costing them additional 1-shots too?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Are you still leaning town on binus even though his ability apparently cost not just your watch, but another of your 1-shots, and he was asking for even more people to visit, presumably costing them additional 1-shots too?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

b-minus1 posted:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

I can only speculate on what shell said. She visited you last night, and she lost a separate 1-shot ability, aside from the one she spent to visit you. You asked everyone to visit you yesterday. Are you saying that losing her roleblock is a coincidence and unrelated to her visit?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Yami Fenrir posted:

Sorry for the radio silence, I've been utterly swamped by work and then fell asleep when I just rested my eyes a little bit. I just reread the entire thread which took some more time.

As an apology, have an E+ case.

to let you know in advance: nobody's commented on this because it's a bad case

most of this is boring and not worth addressing but I want to focus on these bits:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Like this is just doubling down on their argument in a very flippant way. Despite you know, not being that great of an argument in the first place, so this "Yer all stupid" stance feels out of place to me.

The first ones a bunch of what if's that STILL don't explain why what b- is doing is super scummy, the second is literally "please stop looking at this" in text form.

I think b-minus's actions are scummy because he's trying to get a significant number of people to waste their powers on him. the best case scenario is that he's a town fanatic materialist who gets a bunch of one-shots... that he can't use more than one of each night (I assume) and who would also become a fat, juicy target for scum to off. we don't know if anyone is a regular-rear end doc or w/e, if he's a fanatic materialist he can't exactly get bulletproof or hider or w/e. town bminus got a toy and he wanted to use it.

a scum binus is leaning on everyone assuming that he's being a silly little townman, when in actuality he's going something else going on. he could be a fanatic materialist who is also scum. why doesn't he die? "oh I had bp lol". maybe he has some other ability as part of his personality? I can't tell you why, in exacting detail, it's scummy because it's a closed setup game.

nobody else needed this spelled out to them because they thought about it for a few minutes and were like, ah yes, a closed setup game with a bunch of weird stuff going on - yeah who the gently caress knows what'll happen if we prod this, best not to atm.

it's wild to me that you're pulling a bunch of gotchas from D1 posting about a patently ridiculous gambit from binus.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

b-minus1
Bifauxnen
Hal Insandenza
merk
Sandwolf
Somberbrero
Toalpaz

is the mental list I composed of folks who'd shoot Grandi N1. I picked someone at random to prod. This was not a scientific process, if you are seeking one, look elsewhere!!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Epsilon Plus posted:

to let you know in advance: nobody's commented on this because it's a bad case

then why respond to it?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Cool, what do the people that aren't innately interested in immediately dismissing it saying about it?

Like no offensive but you saying the case is bad means jack poo poo to me E+. You're biased because it's, well, targeting you.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I can only speculate on what shell said. She visited you last night, and she lost a separate 1-shot ability, aside from the one she spent to visit you. You asked everyone to visit you yesterday. Are you saying that losing her roleblock is a coincidence and unrelated to her visit?

a truth from binus and a lie from binus are going to look exactly the same here fwiw - the only way to catch him in a lie here would be for someone else to pipe up with more knowledge, which maybe we don't want scum to have yet?

also, wanted to mention this real quick:

Shellception posted:

Jailer is a town role if I am not wrong so it would be useless to scum.

Jailer is definitely not useless to scum - it's a roleblock that "protects" the target from a nightkill that wasn't heading their way anyways. Hell, maybe a townie has a nightvig they wanna fire off, they coincidentally target the same person, wow such a town play, so wise to jail that person!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Also tell me again what else but D1 stuff am I supposed to use at early D2?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

then why respond to it?

because I have a history in mafia games of eventually realizing that what I was thinking was not, in fact, inherently obvious to everyone. figured I'd nip that in the bud this time around. it's bad form to not actually explain one's thought processes and given that I literally just sniped at you about it, I should Not

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

a truth from binus and a lie from binus are going to look exactly the same here fwiw - the only way to catch him in a lie here would be for someone else to pipe up with more knowledge, which maybe we don't want scum to have yet?

Best to clarify things now so if or when someone should pipe up with more knowledge, maybe in a few days, we can see if it's consistent. I'm not trying to catch him in a lie, just make him solidify what he's actually saying.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Yami Fenrir posted:

Also tell me again what else but D1 stuff am I supposed to use at early D2?

well, there's a flip - did I have any connection to that poster? has anyone else's posting felt like it was linked to me in some way? maybe you have a night action that you don't want to reveal the results of quite yet, but you can keep that in your pocket as you make cases.

your case (IMO) is a rehash of stuff from D1 and the only addition to it is "epsilon is being a flippant shithead today, too"

I did reread it and want to point out one more thing though:

Yami Fenrir posted:

And then this post to try and discredit me, but... remember that E+ didn't even state that they were suspicious of Tommu ONCE. That makes this aggressive reaction to not voting Tommu feel out of place to me. It makes it look like they had been invested in pushing Tommu, when they haven't. At all.

I wasn't particularly suspicious of Tommunist. I'm willing to bet a significant portion of the players on the lunch weren't. it was 100% a lurker lunch, because none of the other cases I saw that day had anything to them that I saw as worth investigating. I came back and voted like fifteen minutes before the end of the day after re-reading the thread and seeing nothing that suggested that Tommunist was definitely not scum, or that someone else definitely was scum

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Epsilon Plus posted:

well, there's a flip - did I have any connection to that poster? has anyone else's posting felt like it was linked to me in some way? maybe you have a night action that you don't want to reveal the results of quite yet, but you can keep that in your pocket as you make cases.

your case (IMO) is a rehash of stuff from D1 and the only addition to it is "epsilon is being a flippant shithead today, too"

I did reread it and want to point out one more thing though:

I wasn't particularly suspicious of Tommunist. I'm willing to bet a significant portion of the players on the lunch weren't. it was 100% a lurker lunch, because none of the other cases I saw that day had anything to them that I saw as worth investigating. I came back and voted like fifteen minutes before the end of the day after re-reading the thread and seeing nothing that suggested that Tommunist was definitely not scum, or that someone else definitely was scum

Fair, but then why call out me, specifically, when I had put up actual content about why I don't like the lurker lunch at all and thought Maer suspicious? And only me? That, to me, makes it seem targeted.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I called you out because there was no chance of that vote getting any traction at that point in the day. It was clearly down to Plastic vs. Tommunist at that point

like I can revisit Maerlyn now and see if anything feels weird there, it's not me saying Maerlyn is down - but they were in no way a viable vote at the time with how mafia here seems to go at deadline.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I ain't. The only evidence I have is that I visited him and I am not dead. I am not sure what happened to my roleblock, maybe he got it? I didn't use it, but stealing abilites doesn't seem to mesh with his claim.

But anyway, I don't think that's enough of an evidence either way to deduce Binus' alignment. If I thought he was scum I wouldn't have come, but them's the breaks. I won't bat for him.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Epsilon Plus posted:

I called you out because there was no chance of that vote getting any traction at that point in the day. It was clearly down to Plastic vs. Tommunist at that point

like I can revisit Maerlyn now and see if anything feels weird there, it's not me saying Maerlyn is down - but they were in no way a viable vote at the time with how mafia here seems to go at deadline.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I thought 4 hours is plenty of time personally.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hooollld on for one more day

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

He said we are up to three confirmed townies. I think he means himself.

Yeah, he means himself. Why would he say otherwise? Everyone would claim they're totally 100% confirmed townie. Doesn't mean he is or that we should believe it, but he'll of course claim that, is what I was saying.

At least he got the game moving, though.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

Hooollld on for one more day

HOOOLLLD ON, WE’RE LIVIN ON A PRAYER

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sandwolf posted:

I would run Karaoke Mafia if I wouldn't be too heartbroken at not playing in it myself!

As for actual game content, I'm leaning towards Toal so far but

##vote Plastic

for now to see if that gets him to show up more

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Hold it now, HIT IT

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeesh. Started working on this and then SA goes down in the middle of it. Warning: Ramblings of a Madman ahead. So I've been thinking. There were multiple minimal content lurkers at the time things got settled on Tommunist as the lurker to focus on. Why was it Tommunist, and not one of the others who had posted even less? Now PI at least has the newbie shield, but Hal was almost non-existent at this point in the game.

Bif was the first to vote him, but it was joke phase, and that got quickly dropped. It was Merk who was the first vote that assigned Tommunist as the target.

merk posted:

I'll ##vote Tommu. If he's going to be actively here but just tossing out small farts to the thread, he can go.

Which on paper, is a vote that shouldn't ping me so much. If I know one solid fact about Merk, he hates lurkers and loves getting them off the board. However, two things really bother me here. One: Hal was even more absent, and Merk calls him out as being scummy two and a half hours before that. "Hal whiteknighting Yami without saying anything about who is scummy is scummy;" Two: He's been very low content and effort so far, I'm not going to leap to call Merk scum, but I feel like getting more out of him is going to be important, especially in relation to the hit attempt on Grandicap. After all, the only person Grandi really made a firm case on D1 is Merk, so I think he's really important to this puzzle. (And before anyone says it, yes I know he voted me, but he never really went into it and switched over to Tommunist to make sure we at least had a lunch.)

That vote was followed up by this though.

Toalpaz posted:

I didn't realize we only had 8 hours left, these posts make sense to me now.

I don't like voting the first few effort posts of the game. I dont think I'll be voting merk or grandicap. Grandicap can you replant your double vote?

Id hate to bully tommu but this is the truest thing I've read and most likely healthy for the game.

##vote tommu

Mae asked if I was serious about that sandwolf vote. I think what I voted on is a fine gut reason to vote someone day one. I'd be willing to vote sandwolf today.

...Now I really don't want to suspect Toalpaz because he saved my rear end earlier, and I could just be badly misreading them as usual. But a couple of things ping me about this post. One, Merk hadn't MADE any effort posts. The most we have from him to this point is a vote on Maerlyn, which he almost immediately walks back under the slightest questioning, and a post with three relatively empty points. It's really weird to commit to not lunching Merk off that little information.Um Two, the scum --- town list Toalpaz posted earlier where Tommunist is near the top and oddly enough Hal is listed as the towniest person there despite not showing up at all.

Bif is the third actually solid vote, but I've already poked that hornet's nest and don't really feel like going back in yet with no new information. The rest all seemed to show up just to get a lunch. I haven't played with Shell before, Maerlyn seems sincere in her vote, Grandicap makes sense, and I voted to save my own rear end. Not sure about E+ yet, but at least we got a lunch because he showed up.

I think this was a mostly town lunch, with at least one scum in the three people that started this, while the rest of the scum made sure to stay far away.

Binus is someone I can't really read yet, but seems to be claiming some kind of cop to clear Shell, and other than going "Well obviously Tom was town," I like what I've seen, especially now that he's actually explaining more of his thoughts in detail.
Yami was not around near deadline, but was doing actual case work on day 1.
Sandwolf was extremely low content and lurky day 1. Can't really read him yet.
Somber: Not around near deadline, extremely absent day 1 other than two extremely low effort bandwagons. I get the Ecco game excuse for day 1, but he's been going out of his way to defend Hal the past few posts. Odd.
Perpetual Idiot and Hal were BOTH around right near deadline.
-PI, I'm not sure on. Actually posted near deadline asking why Tommunist was the lurker vote, and then laughed at me joining in on it. Did not case a vote on either of the two big lunches, and has mostly seemed to be digging for reasons to doubt Grandicap and Binus. However, they are a newbie, so I don't really want to go in on them yet.
Hal was completely absent for most of the day, only showing up to hop on the lunch on me, and was definitely around near deadline. Didn't bother swapping over to avoid a no lunch. has been repeatedly trying to direct focus back on me over the actual information we've gained so far, and the fact that he went completely under the radar for the lurker target and has at least two people tripping over themselves to call him town is really weird.

##Vote: Hal

Will post more after dinner.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

That’s not really a very accurate assessment of me

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Hal is town imo

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
We should vote for scum instead of townies

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm re-reading d1 and as a whole I think I am developing a comprehensive read of the game.

I think scum team is e+, merk, and sandwolf? I don't like somber's interactions d1 but I don't think somber would be on the same scum team as merk doubling up on the bad (imo) yami vote.

I think Yami is town, Mae is town, we have to consider grandi town, strongly suspect shell is town, b- is probably not a scum team member. I believe bif is town because I think she would have hosed with yami at night and we haven't seen any of that.

Scum team is content lurking epicly day 1. E+ constantly sitting on the sideline egging people on wrt the b- interactions. Merk just looks like he's throwing out votes and one liners seeing what sticks, which is fine except for the Grandi nk choice and also the decision to push Yami for being combative when their opinion was actually relatively benign. Sandy does nothing all day and then asks to execute a lurker. (fine I probably played similarly. Whatever).

merk posted:

I feel like somber is town. He stuck his neck out with me on a very early Yami vote and also took that plastic stand. Could be active scum I guess, but not someone I’m voting today.

this is designed to get friends which town merk doesn't really do I think. he just wants to pocket somber.

Yami Fenrir posted:

There are 3 powers in the OP alone that work on a visit. Only one of them is harmful and doesn't make sense for a townie to "bait" like this (PGO)

Why are you immediately jumping to this conclusion?

This is basically stating "Oh, B- might have a special personality that harms people on visits", which is some serious mental gymnastics when there's a much simpler solution available.

Reads as town just trying to understand how mae thinks. I think yami is legit confused here.

Mae regularly appears very aggressive but original question makes sense to me as someone without a tonne of experience mafiaing (what kinda play is b- making, is it bad?).

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lmao.

Sounds about right, yeah.

like this really, really sounds like it's grasping at straws to make b- actions more suspicious than they really are to me.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Nobody said anything about actually following up on his request. The point was that the act of asking itself isn't necessarily suspicious.

This is a massive overreaction either way. Bif, I think you mighta been onto something.

This in particular, reads as natural, flowing from b-'s claim. Scum don't generally want people to know what they are doing. B- telling town what he is doing/wants at night is town feeling.

So it really pings me when e+ reads b- claim as scummy, and lets the case against yami's reaction build up from there. Merk does the legwork and gets other people on, pockets somber for it later.

Merk isn't reporting any night info.

E+ I don't think reporting any night info and picks Yami up again:

Epsilon Plus posted:

going all in on a very clear lurker lunch seems like the scum thing to do, I have some thoughts on that that I probably shouldn't try to articulate at 3am

Looking for scum on the lurker lunch, also. I think it is a mind mindbogging easy case to make. As scum.

Sandwolf posted:

I did nothing last night and seemingly had nothing done to me.

My vote on Hal comes from a good faith effort to think who’d NK Grandi N1 if Grandi is to be believed.

Idk point in sandwolf's favour here. This is good.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Why would I report night info?

What is that case?

Vote stands. Vote stays. See ya later.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

merk posted:

Why would I report night info?

What is that case?

Vote stands. Vote stays. See ya later.

because town can die at anytime and without sharing if something is happening we'll just lose that info to time, and scum can coordinate their actions in anti town ways favouring to stay hidden and hide their patterns.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

because town can die at anytime and without sharing if something is happening we'll just lose that info to time, and scum can coordinate their actions in anti town ways favouring to stay hidden and hide their patterns.

I’m not saying anything about anything that happened in the night unless and until it helps my win condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
That is a nice summary toal. I still have t made up my mind about merk and sandwolf. Seems like there’s a handful of people that want to vote epsilon but the votes aren’t materializing. Fwiw, I would vote epsilon if somber isn’t going to happen