Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
Either my googling is off or I'm misremembering the details, but I'm trying to find what I think is a tweet along the lines of "behind every successful boomer is an intern helping them open an pdf" or along those lines. Been looking through listicles on that theme but couldn't find it. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Churchill posted:

Either my googling is off or I'm misremembering the details, but I'm trying to find what I think is a tweet along the lines of "behind every successful boomer is an intern helping them open an pdf" or along those lines. Been looking through listicles on that theme but couldn't find it. Anyone?

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
Maybe 15 years ago, SA had a contest that was 'cover a song, in a different genre'. I think the results got posted on the front page? Anyway, there were two songs that just stood out, one was a techno reworking of 'Kashmir' by Led Zep and the other was a lounge act version of 'Space Odyssey' that I distinctly remember being titled 'Space Oddity'. Did anyone save them? Or am I just remembering something that didn't happen?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

But Space Oddity is titled Space Oddity.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Maybe 15 years ago, SA had a contest that was 'cover a song, in a different genre'. I think the results got posted on the front page? Anyway, there were two songs that just stood out, one was a techno reworking of 'Kashmir' by Led Zep and the other was a lounge act version of 'Space Odyssey' that I distinctly remember being titled 'Space Oddity'. Did anyone save them? Or am I just remembering something that didn't happen?

I found this thread [archives] but neither of those songs seem to be in it. I didn't look super hard though, and that might not have been the only time a thread like that happened.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Scarodactyl posted:

But Space Oddity is titled Space Oddity.

I likely got it backwards, then, that the re-do was called 'Space Odyssey'... :doh:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there was a long-running series of threads called "sa rockstar" in the music subforums that involved goon cover contests, and some of them may have been posted up in gbs for voting/exposure

unfortunately i know there were more than fifty of the things, so it's going to take a deep dive to sort through them

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dell_Zincht posted:

This is the music video to "Doorsteps" by Lodger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zsWb5Mb8s

loving A, thank you!

Wainwright
Jan 5, 2008
I don't know what year this would be from, but I remember coming across a recording on here possibly for a SA Christmas album. It was Carol of the Bells, but with a dude or maybe chorus of dudes, going like "herp herpy derp" in tune with the song.

Anyone else remember this?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wainwright posted:

I don't know what year this would be from, but I remember coming across a recording on here possibly for a SA Christmas album. It was Carol of the Bells, but with a dude or maybe chorus of dudes, going like "herp herpy derp" in tune with the song.

Anyone else remember this?

It wasn’t the horribly offensive ancient meme “Ding Fries Are Done,” was it?

Wainwright
Jan 5, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It wasn’t the horribly offensive ancient meme “Ding Fries Are Done,” was it?

Nope, I remember that one from school. This was definitely a goon thing, *if* it actually exists and I didn't make it up in some weird fever dream...

The Saxecutioner
Mar 4, 2010

A nimble little mouse!
Mine is the meme animation(flash video?) of the dude who got banned from SA way way back in the day. I vaguely recall it quoting one of his posts, "I'm a god, I'm a LEGEND"

I recall not really having any context but I laughed so hard I had tears. I would love to see that again.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There was an aerial map showing where a bunch of billionaires with fallout shelters in NZ had built them that I really want to find. One guy has two!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Professor Shark posted:

There was an aerial map showing where a bunch of billionaires with fallout shelters in NZ had built them that I really want to find. One guy has two!

Well, do you expect him to summer in his nuclear winter fallout shelter like a millionaire?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Someone needs to do a non-fallout RPG about wandering around post apocalyptic new zealand raiding billionaire's failed bases.

Using the actual base locations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Saxecutioner posted:

Mine is the meme animation(flash video?) of the dude who got banned from SA way way back in the day. I vaguely recall it quoting one of his posts, "I'm a god, I'm a LEGEND"

I recall not really having any context but I laughed so hard I had tears. I would love to see that again.

Don't know the video but this was maybe Eurononymous?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Splicer posted:

Someone needs to do a non-fallout RPG about wandering around post apocalyptic new zealand raiding billionaire's failed bases.

Using the actual base locations.

This would be awesome

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

The Saxecutioner posted:

Fragmaster did a bit about Eurononymous calling Lowtax to complain about being banned which was then made into eurocall.swf but I think it may have been lost forever in the great flash purge

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

hexwren posted:

there was a long-running series of threads called "sa rockstar" in the music subforums that involved goon cover contests, and some of them may have been posted up in gbs for voting/exposure

unfortunately i know there were more than fifty of the things, so it's going to take a deep dive to sort through them

Oh cool. I'm poor so no archives but I'm going to go over to the subforum there and check around! Thanks, all!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Gasmask posted:

Fragmaster did a bit about Eurononymous calling Lowtax to complain about being banned which was then made into eurocall.swf but I think it may have been lost forever in the great flash purge

Was that the one where the person complaining was animated as a clown? I vaguely remember laughing embarrassingly hard with that.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
oh here's a soundcloud of the audio but can't find the animation

https://soundcloud.com/user-721740390/eurocall

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
if you have a flash emulator like Ruffle, you can download the file from here and play it that way

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
This is definitely a SA one.

A bloke singing an acapella version of the Flintstones theme. Except, he only did the "We'll have a gay old time" bit, just that bit on its own, and he absolutely SHREDDED that one bit. This was before the internet got good at acapella but he had it down.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Hi Guys!

1)A few hard drive crashes ago, I lost all my image archives, spanning back from the early 2000s. But I am trying to replace them when I think of the again. This one I've been trying for a few months:

It is a color illustration that looks to be in an Alchemy/Study. There are 2 figures, shown directly from the side. One is a large, scary monster wearing a robe. The other is a girl or woman, much smaller in scale. The monster is extending a robotic bladelike hand towards the female character, but in an almost gentle, paternal fashion.

The image made the rounds about 10 years ago?

2)There's a complete White Whale that no one has been able to help, and I've been searching for years:

When I was growing up in Winnipeg in the 70s, we had a lunchtime kid's show called "Archie and His Friends". I *have* been able to track down a couple of those shows, but I'm not interested in that so much as the HORRIFIC safety films they used to feature. I think they were Red Cross, and certainly were 60s, but they were extremely graphic. One showed a kid playing on a dirt hill, and getting suffocated, and another kid had to save him. There were drowning in pools, falling through ice, you get the picture. These were North American for sure, not PSAs, but short features, maybe 3 minutes long?

Thanks in advance Good Goons!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm looking for a series of prank phone calls. I saw them on the internet around 2000, but I think they were originally from a radio station. They kept calling up this same racist redneck type and bothering him. In one they pretend to be telemarketers that somehow keep getting connected to his number and insist on sticking to the script each time complete with a commercial jingle. In another they pretend to be doing a survey from Nascar talking about how they're planning to focus on the career of a black driver. There's probably others but the guy freaks out every time.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm looking for a series of prank phone calls. I saw them on the internet around 2000, but I think they were originally from a radio station. They kept calling up this same racist redneck type and bothering him. In one they pretend to be telemarketers that somehow keep getting connected to his number and insist on sticking to the script each time complete with a commercial jingle. In another they pretend to be doing a survey from Nascar talking about how they're planning to focus on the career of a black driver. There's probably others but the guy freaks out every time.

I know the second one right away because it came up when i typed in "nascar prank call"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxi1J2EntVU

You can probably google "mr bergis" for the rest.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Wanda Sykes audio (90s Howard Stern? Mid 90s radio for sure) calling a car place about a turd in her car after a service visit.

I have it on a cassette (Rock 103 w/Tim, Bev, & Baddog in Memphis) I got for supporting St. Jude, and don’t own a cassette player anymore.

Pre-edit: Gladys from Crank Yankers. https://youtu.be/ly8l0QKDa_Y

Did get to hear some awesome rock songs from current-Stern Show guests and bands while searching, though.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Alright, this is kind of a different request for this thread, I'm looking for a patent from 1954.

It's referred to here:
https://www.engnet.us/c/c.aspx/OMN006

"First patented in 1954, our High Capacity 'Endless Track' Ball Transfer Units have been in continuous production ever since and continue to solve the industry's toughest applications."

And described differently here:
https://www.engnet.us/c/c.aspx/OMN006/productdetail/high-capcity-ball-transfer-unit

"First patented in 1954, our Omnitrack High Capacity 'Double Recirculation' Ball Transfer Units offer maximum precision & smoothest performance. Machined from solid steel bar, this innovative design provides the highest load capacity & longest service life available."

That patent should be long expired and I really want to see how they're recirculating the balls, but patents that old are hard to find.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tip posted:

Alright, this is kind of a different request for this thread, I'm looking for a patent from 1954.

It's referred to here:
https://www.engnet.us/c/c.aspx/OMN006

"First patented in 1954, our High Capacity 'Endless Track' Ball Transfer Units have been in continuous production ever since and continue to solve the industry's toughest applications."

And described differently here:
https://www.engnet.us/c/c.aspx/OMN006/productdetail/high-capcity-ball-transfer-unit

"First patented in 1954, our Omnitrack High Capacity 'Double Recirculation' Ball Transfer Units offer maximum precision & smoothest performance. Machined from solid steel bar, this innovative design provides the highest load capacity & longest service life available."

That patent should be long expired and I really want to see how they're recirculating the balls, but patents that old are hard to find.

It's a UK patent filed under tha name of the inventor's original firm, Autoset Production LTD, and this is the patent listing with a priority date closest to and preceding (October of '53) the actual claimed patent date of 1954:
Anti-frictional bearings of the load-ball type

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It's a UK patent filed under tha name of the inventor's original firm, Autoset Production LTD, and this is the patent listing with a priority date closest to and preceding (October of '53) the actual claimed patent date of 1954:
Anti-frictional bearings of the load-ball type

Nice, thanks!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

:dbuddy:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

After puzzling over that patent for a while I determined it's not the correct one, but I used that site to look up other patents from the same company name and managed to find several other patents from them relating to the type of recirculating ball transfer unit I was curious about.

It turns out to be very simple, basically a normal ball transfer unit but with space to hold multiple layers of balls and a free floating plate that separates the layers.

I'm kinda surprised that works, now I gotta build one and play with it.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I'm looking for an late 80s/early 90s CGI math video. The premise involved two space travelers who had crash landed and needed to use geometry (I think) to solve problems. The aesthetic was extremely low poly and shiney. I don't believe children were really the intended audience because the math seemed pretty advanced. I'm pretty sure I saw this on PBS in ~1994

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Maybe something from NOVA?

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Jadeilyn posted:

The DuckDuckGo recommendation was great. I found one of my original white whales: https://youtu.be/CAmqrjtWdjs (Conan O'Brien Moral Dilemma sketch from 1997 that I saw once).

I'm curious if anyone remembers the video that I still cannot find. My memories are hazy so I'm going to try to include details that might be wrong. I saw this somewhere between 2001-2003. I believe that it was from a sketch comedy troupe, and that I either downloaded it from their site or they had it embedded. It was live action, and I believe it started in a pastoral countryside setting. It was kind of serious in tone before everyone in the video started chanting a nonsense word, something that sounded like rezelsheft? I think it got absurd and maybe dark pretty quickly. It might have a song later in the video. I loved it as a teenager and I'm curious if it holds up.

I finally found this, almost two years after posting this request. It is a skit from 2001 and it's called Rezelscheft. Looking for any other words or other spellings gave a bunch of bad results. It's from a San Francisco troupe called Killing My Lobster, although they didn't upload it so I found a random vimeo upload.

It was funnier when I was 17, but maybe someone else wants to see some early internet silliness again.

https://vimeo.com/36736010

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

wildmamboqueen posted:

Hi Guys!

1)A few hard drive crashes ago, I lost all my image archives, spanning back from the early 2000s. But I am trying to replace them when I think of the again. This one I've been trying for a few months:

It is a color illustration that looks to be in an Alchemy/Study. There are 2 figures, shown directly from the side. One is a large, scary monster wearing a robe. The other is a girl or woman, much smaller in scale. The monster is extending a robotic bladelike hand towards the female character, but in an almost gentle, paternal fashion.

The image made the rounds about 10 years ago?

Quoting this to say I think I know exactly what image you’re talking about, but I don’t have it on hand right now. I’m going to see if I have it on an old computer somewhere.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jadeilyn posted:

I finally found this, almost two years after posting this request. It is a skit from 2001 and it's called Rezelscheft. Looking for any other words or other spellings gave a bunch of bad results. It's from a San Francisco troupe called Killing My Lobster, although they didn't upload it so I found a random vimeo upload.

It was funnier when I was 17, but maybe someone else wants to see some early internet silliness again.

https://vimeo.com/36736010
I do not regret watching this. I definitely laughed at the first tonal shift, particularly given the incredible video quality of the main part (I mean, particularly talking 2001 Internet sketch comedy) and the therefore obviously intentional terrible video quality of the other part.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

MSPain posted:

I'm looking for an late 80s/early 90s CGI math video. The premise involved two space travelers who had crash landed and needed to use geometry (I think) to solve problems. The aesthetic was extremely low poly and shiney. I don't believe children were really the intended audience because the math seemed pretty advanced. I'm pretty sure I saw this on PBS in ~1994

Could it be this, or something else from the same series?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-To1eUtuU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Fantasy MMORPG between 2003 - 2009. Not AdventureQuest, Everquest or Runescape, but Everquest-ish graphics. F2P, but you could subscribe. Was NOT buy to play. Could have been in a browser. There was a loading screen right away with some acoustic guitar that was awesome. Early on, there was a snowy zone where I believe you could farm werewolves near a lake. Definitely snow, not sure on the werewolves part. I played on a lovely dell PC. I believe it was $30ish/month because I remember asking parents for the money.

I've dug through every list and I can't find it. I'm really just looking for the plucked acoustic guitar song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I remembered an old comic book I had as a teenager and want to finish the series.

Here's what I remember about it:

It starts with a framing story, a bunch of adventurers(?) trading myths in a bar.

The first story involves a knight/warrior who is bonded to some kind of crystal on/in his chest. He's some kind of "hero across time" - he will save the world, and then the crystal grows around him and sends him into hibernation, and he wakes up again hundreds of years later to save the world again. I think it turns into armor and maybe a sword for him when he's doing the hero thing. Eventually he is released from this obligation, gets married, and settles down. I think he does not age, and when his wife passes, the crystal cocoons him again... just in case.

The comic ends with another adventurer joining the table and promising to tell another myth in exchange for a drink.

I want to say I found the comic in a back-issue bulk bin in 2000 or maybe 2001. I'm almost certain it is not Marvel's Crystar, from the few pages I can find of it.