Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
maybe you should've read line two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

necrotic posted:

Actually, maybe they should do that. Let’s get the chain to a pedobyte in a year.

This is a Bitcoinman chain, don’t forget!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saying "Ok, lets ask the IMF for help" is the equivalent of in a movie going "Ok, we have to get Jason to fight Freddy"

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
A major Australian newspaper has an article today where a former Binance guy is pushing for pension (‘super’) funds to invest in Crypto, that famously stable asset that will still exist when I come to retire.

https://twitter.com/swearyanthony/status/1447191294384607237

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Actually, can I have a "no loving cryptocurrency" clause I can request a mutual fund to provide before investing?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Fairly certain pensions are the most regulated funds when it comes to what they can invest in. Crypto isn't ever going to be on the menu.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Collateral posted:

Fairly certain pensions are the most regulated funds when it comes to what they can invest in. Crypto isn't ever going to be on the menu.

For now :grin:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm constantly amazed that bitcoiners seriously think deflation is a good thing.
It means they become richer by owning a thing, which is the dream of all aspiring slave-owners and capitalists

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ikanreed posted:

Actually, can I have a "no loving cryptocurrency" clause I can request a mutual fund to provide before investing?

ESG funds need a fourth letter now, unless 'environment' encapsulates the energy waste of crypto.

I would like that clause, too.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Space Fish posted:

ESG funds need a fourth letter now, unless 'environment' encapsulates the energy waste of crypto.

I would like that clause, too.

The governance letter should also cover you from a ‘don’t invest in tech-enabled money laundering scams’ angle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Luckily, Australia's government is too Luddite to even improve the internet without deliberately loving it up every step of the way, I doubt they're even smart enough to be dumb enough to fall for crypto.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
If they find out how crypto burns through coal they will be the number one booster.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Funny how NFTs have been jumped on so eagerly by people like this

https://twitter.com/theurigeller/status/1447407731028135939

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

all downhill since the phone fell off the couch

over ten years ago

Is there anyone from those early days of insanity that we know of who had things work out for them?

I imagine most of those we followed in the SA threads either lost their holdings in hacks/scams, or sold them when Bitcoin was a few hundred dollars, but while schadenfreude is fun it would be nice to know that just one of them held onto some coins and managed to finance the music festival or Tailspin cinema of their dreams.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Is there anyone from those early days of insanity that we know of who had things work out for them?

I imagine most of those we followed in the SA threads either lost their holdings in hacks/scams, or sold them when Bitcoin was a few hundred dollars, but while schadenfreude is fun it would be nice to know that just one of them held onto some coins and managed to finance the music festival or Tailspin cinema of their dreams.

Jeffrey of Yospos paid for SA via money he made by early coining lol.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ what? Seriously?

Is there a video of the phone falling? I've always wanted to see it.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

If I am being honest, considering that I did try mining back in March 2010 when barely anyone else was doing it, if I had ended up with any I would have almost certainly sold them once the price hit enough for me to buy a take out meal. That would have felt like enough of a success at the time to warrant it.

I dont see that there is any chance that I would have ever kept them until the price is what it is now. Not a chance at all.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Senor Tron posted:

The Winklevosses, but gently caress those guys

their answer to not getting robbed by a shady exchange was to make their own shady exchange

edit: mark karpeles is doing pretty well and got to keep a shitload of the btc from the mtgox meltdown all these years later, even assuming he didnt have more hidden wallets, which he certainly must have

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 11, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC a big part of why there's all these exchanges which the owners keep running off with is because it seems like a massive pain in the rear end to actually do any Bitcoin transactions without having an outside middleman, needing dedicated hardware just to run the blockchain, even if you aren't actively mining.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsietisin posted:

If I am being honest, considering that I did try mining back in March 2010 when barely anyone else was doing it, if I had ended up with any I would have almost certainly sold them once the price hit enough for me to buy a take out meal. That would have felt like enough of a success at the time to warrant it.

I dont see that there is any chance that I would have ever kept them until the price is what it is now. Not a chance at all.

It's what I keep telling everyone I know.

If you bought bitcoin when it was one euro, you'd sell a good portion when it reached 5, much less when it kept rising, because you can't predict the future.

It's rationally wise to sell if something rises as ridiculously as bitcoin did, lamenting that it kept growing and you sold ignores that you couldn't predict said growth and how you'd probably lose those coins in one of the million security wipeouts that occured so far.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Senor Tron posted:

I know there was a “Bitcoin millionaire” under 18 y/o on Tosh.0 7-8 years ago. I don’t remember a name or episode #, but it’s probably Google-able. Tosh was amazed and skeptical at the same time which is one of the reasons I love watching him around “regular” people. He’s not blatantly insulting or a fanboi and watching him with the BTC kid was a good, funny bit.

Ninja edit: https://youtu.be/OCCNomU5j8c

First result on “Tosh.0 Bitcoin kid.” No idea on an update to his status.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

First result on “Tosh.0 Bitcoin kid.” No idea on an update to his status.

oh it's erik finman, he was in the news again after rebranding cheap chinese smartphones as "uncensorable freedom phones" and selling them to trump supporters at a huge markup

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/06/technology/freedom-phone-smartphone-conservatives.html

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

repiv posted:

oh it's erik finman, he was in the news again after rebranding cheap chinese smartphones as "uncensorable freedom phones" and selling them to trump supporters at a huge markup

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/06/technology/freedom-phone-smartphone-conservatives.html

Did he sell them for Butts, or real dollars? I know how I so want the right answer.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

real dollars of course, crypto doesn't appear to even be an option for buying it

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Even he would recognize Trump supporters aren't literate enough to even know about butts, much less use them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trump is opposed to bitcoin, which caused coiners no end of consternation.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ultrafilter posted:

Trump is opposed to bitcoin, which caused coiners no end of consternation.

Only because he didn't understand it. Had he known the amount of scams that can be pulled the US would be using BTC by now.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
has anyone pointed out to the Donald that with Bitcoin you can buy high, sell low, and still make money?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

At least that kid recognizes and is leaning into the grift.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Wily Wizard NFTs - 10,000 wizards each with one of 10 different staffs, beards, robes, and hats

Bilious Barflies NFTs - 10,000 barflies each with one of 10 different drinks, faded jackets, facial disfigurements, and hats

Sloppy Sandwich NFTs - 10,000 sandwiches each with one of 10 different fillings, garnishes, sides, and hats

Hasty Hatstand NFTs - 10,000 hatstands each with one of 10 different hats, hats, hats and hats

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Hammerite posted:

Wily Wizard NFTs - 10,000 wizards each with one of 10 different staffs, beards, robes, and hats

Bilious Barflies NFTs - 10,000 barflies each with one of 10 different drinks, faded jackets, facial disfigurements, and hats

Sloppy Sandwich NFTs - 10,000 sandwiches each with one of 10 different fillings, garnishes, sides, and hats

Hasty Hatstand NFTs - 10,000 hatstands each with one of 10 different hats, hats, hats and hats

Ok, but are some of the hats rare?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Spazzle posted:

Ok, but are some of the hats rare?

Some of them are worth* more money** if that's what you mean

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

At least that kid recognizes and is leaning into the grift.

lol before the freedom phone he ran an indiegogo campaign promising a $100 VR headset, and raised $100k (500% of the goal)

of course he took the money and ran without ever posting a single update

https://mashable.com/article/marvel-vr-headset

the kid is a born grifter

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

repiv posted:

the kid is a born grifter

This kid is a pro-tier grifter! Usually, grifters have to go underground, not make waves, flash the cash, etc.

This child is the Avatar of Confidence. You would think he’d be in jail or something by now, but not only is he not, he’s using his real name with his scams. A quick Google search, you read his public history. He doesn’t care. Is Craig Wright his Dad or something?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i have to wonder if he ever actually got rich from bitcoin, or if that was just a story to establish the "young genius investor" branding he uses as a springboard for all his scams

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

repiv posted:

i have to wonder if he ever actually got rich from bitcoin, or if that was just a story to establish the "young genius investor" branding he uses as a springboard for all his scams

There is always that first scam, so yeah probably made some money but not near what he claims.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If you act like the kind of person who has money people will give you money because obviously you're the kind of person who's supposed to have money

This is literally how it works

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey I know crypto is dumb etc…however experimenting with poo poo coins how the hell do I move some crap from u I swap to trust wallet? I’ve looked for 2 hours I see nothing (on phone bought a poo poo coin I have a wallet address set up on uniswap and trust)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Try throwing your phone into the rubbish bin and forever forgetting about cryptos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Try throwing your phone into the rubbish bin and forever forgetting about cryptos.

Hmm…considering how my inept crypto purchases have turned out…don’t think I will. It’s a giant tire fire but if it makes me money enjoy the smoke