Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Technically all the cut down trees aren't emitted. But logic suggests the math supports you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Trees also aren't the cure-all most people seem to delude themselves into thinking they are. High school earth science classes instill a rudimentary and flawed concept of how trees "filter" the air.

Trees release all of the carbon they've captured when they die (naturally or unnaturally) or burn. And there are potential future scenarios where photosynthesis could break down.

The only way to lessen the CO2, CH4, and NO2 in the atmosphere isn't to bury it, it's to get it the gently caress off-planet ~somehow~, and the technology and materials don't exist to do that and - for us - likely never will. You're talking mega-structure space elevators connected to HEPA-like filters powered by *mature* fusion technology that need to be replaced and disposed of ~somewhere~ or wormholes to alternate dimensions where we dump our garbage like in that old Simpsons Halloween sketch.

I've given something a lot of thought recently. Nature's Original Sin, aside from granting hominids ever increasingly better problem-solving brains, was making *women* menstruate. If men bled from their dicks once every month, we'd have skipped tens of thousands of wasted years of "how make shinier stronger and sharper stabby things" and "how make things what make our stabbing people able to go elsewhere to steal things from people with less good stabby things." Religion would've been a non-concept, a distraction we never fell prey to, because praying wouldn't make the bleeding stop, only logic and science would. Oh well, "for want of a nail" and all that jazz.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Blockade posted:

I'm not a climate scientist or anything, but another problem seems to be, the CO2 in the air isnt just from cut down forests, its from fossil products we dug out of the ground. Even if we did roll back society and reforest the world, there'd still be a well over baseline amount of CO2 in the air right?

I don't know the exact amount and I don't want to look it up now but the previous forest carbon sinks have been net emitters owing to - this is the correct scientific term? - the metric fuckton of trees burning down.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Harold Fjord posted:

Technically all the cut down trees aren't emitted. But logic suggests the math supports you.

Nope, cut down trees which are decomposing above ground emit massive amounts of carbon in aggregate.

Bury dead trees.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
you don’t really need to get it off planet, that’s a weird claim. capturing it is the hard part. storing it really isn’t, not in comparison. if we had low-cost, carbon-free, functionally limitless energy we could remove it and store it on earth just fine.

but, like. lol.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

as the guy mentions in the video, to undo the carbon added to the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels using just trees, you'd need to cover the earth in trees, wait for them to grow and turn co2 into wood, cut them down and bury them underground forever, plant new trees and repeat many many times

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

one of the most basic truths of climate change is that you can ignore *everything* everyone talks about w/r/t "footprints" or "efficiency" or "capture" or whatever

there are three things that matter:
- stop digging up and burning coal
- stop drilling, pumping, refining, and burning oil
- stop drilling, piping, and burning gas

after that you can get lost in the marginal weeds forever about poo poo like cement, cows, beccs, trees, urbanization, big-ag, macro trends, micro behaviors, blah blah bikelanes

its all just anxiety thrashing

all that matters is:
- end coal
- end oil
- end gas

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MightyBigMinus posted:

one of the most basic truths of climate change is that you can ignore *everything* everyone talks about w/r/t "footprints" or "efficiency" or "capture" or whatever

there are three things that matter:
- stop digging up and burning coal
- stop drilling, pumping, refining, and burning oil
- stop drilling, piping, and burning gas

after that you can get lost in the marginal weeds forever about poo poo like cement, cows, beccs, trees, urbanization, big-ag, macro trends, micro behaviors, blah blah bikelanes

its all just anxiety thrashing

all that matters is:
- end coal
- end oil
- end gas

pretty much!

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Unless posted:

same thing happened up in the mountains down here in southern new mexico last October

learned how useful jumper cables are at reconnecting downed lines, I tell you what

Not trying to derail the thread, but can you elaborate on this?

This sounds incredibly interesting and dangerous

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mediaphage posted:

you don’t really need to get it off planet, that’s a weird claim. capturing it is the hard part. storing it really isn’t, not in comparison. if we had low-cost, carbon-free, functionally limitless energy we could remove it and store it on earth just fine.

but, like. lol.

Energy is only part of the problem, although it's always the one that people focus on when they want to take a beep boop logical approach. Our current cultural and political systems basically don't allow for productive work without the promise of growth or profit in some form. Free energy would never be allowed to be free (in an economic sense), and its usage would still be governed by nebulous market forces. You'd have the exact same problem where industrial-scale capture and storage wouldn't have an economic justification so we'd never do it, even if our costs were essentially limited to equipment and labor.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

kater posted:

so is toxic algae bloom vs unstoppable world fire how we keep oxygen at a level that sustains human population?

Maybe the toxic algae could flip a switch and produce CO instead of O2 for some primo lols and lmaos.

Basically the lovely movie "The Happening", but people just start dropping dead instead of yeeting themselves off of buildings.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Energy is only part of the problem, although it's always the one that people focus on when they want to take a beep boop logical approach. Our current cultural and political systems basically don't allow for productive work without the promise of growth or profit in some form. Free energy would never be allowed to be free (in an economic sense), and its usage would still be governed by nebulous market forces. You'd have the exact same problem where industrial-scale capture and storage wouldn't have an economic justification so we'd never do it, even if our costs were essentially limited to equipment and labor.

this wasn't the point at all. i'm not really interested in discussing this, i was only responding to the ridiculous idea that we'd need to build a space elevator to get rid of carbon

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I had a friend tell me that we'll solve climate change this century by having everyone on earth live in orbital colonies while the earth becomes a nature preserve. All industry and everything we need will be put into orbit.

And the first step to getting there is elon musk making it cheaper to put things into orbit through spacex and innovation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We should plant way way more trees because trees are cool (in multiple senses).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

We should plant way way more trees because trees are cool (in multiple senses).

Trees can’t fix the world in the macro sense, but the right trees for the right place sure do make a local area nicer in multiple ways.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Has anyone come forward as having bought the ad for this or having made the video? It was very good.

I know it was a goon, but they registered a parachute just to chat with me about it when I got curious and asked the thread who made it LOL. They really want to remain anonymous.

It wasn't me, I ain't got time for all that.

Plz don't ever retweet this lunatic, they're a toxic rear end in a top hat who has doxxed multiple friends of mine and who consistently disrupts city council open consultations on housing with irrelevant and somewhat absurdist bullshit. :catstare:

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
LMAO, there's literally no where on earth under any scenario *more* hostile than space / mars. Most of the people at SX just didn't engage with this - they reduce it to like a 17th century ocean voyage or something.

We don't know the most basic loving thing needed to colonize space and that's if our species can make people in low gravity - zero-g obstetrics hasn't been much of a priority and drat if there aren't some confounding things there. Sure, it would suck if mammalian pregnancy doesn't work outside a centrifuge in low gravity, but I'm sure that's not a problem - we'll put all the women in the outer ring, solved! bingo boingo so simple.

Even ignoring that, the best vision of this is you dwelling in a tesla you can't leave munching nutrient paste while all of your material needs 100% rely on a billionaire's largesse and the orbital mechanics mean you can only really get there every ~2 years. While he eats steak in his dome or chortles from earth. What a dream.

Oh and Covid, since it keeps coming up, basically drove home that we weren't willing to make *brief* minor sacrifices for things that have long-term positive impacts - even on incredibly short timeframes - that miracles would not save us, etc. It made very clear who needs to sacrifice and who doesn't and the results were not good RE: long term human habitation of anywhere.

On the flipside, those realizations make me laugh like hell when someone calls Rime "Goon Thanos", so.

Buffer has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Oct 12, 2021

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus christ i can't sit through this. not because i disagree with what he's saying, but because this person is loving insufferable

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dolphin posted:

jesus christ i can't sit through this. not because i disagree with what he's saying, but because this person is loving insufferable

I find their voice relaxing

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blatman posted:

I find their voice relaxing
it's not that his voice is annoying it's that "you're wrong and there's nothing i can do to convince you that you're wrong and this video isn't for you and we can go to the ends of the earth arguing and in the end there's a million different" yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda get to the loving point holy poo poo

[edit] i fast forwarded through it. pretty sure it's impossible to make a more annoying video.

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Oct 12, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dolphin posted:

it's not that his voice is annoying it's that "you're wrong and there's nothing i can do to convince you that you're wrong and this video isn't for you and we can go to the ends of the earth arguing and in the end there's a million different" yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda get to the loving point holy poo poo

[edit] i fast forwarded through it. pretty sure it's impossible to make a more annoying video.

I think their voice is fine but you know what videos are hella annoying?

That loving German guy with all the cutesy animations. Someone was passing his climate change vid around at work and wanted to throttle them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the guy in the video definitely is very long winded and there was a lot of stuff especially near the beginning that i didn't really need to hear. i played it sped up and wound it back and played at normal speed when it got interesting.

it's also too long to try and sit through in one continuous listen

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Not trying to derail the thread, but can you elaborate on this?

This sounds incredibly interesting and dangerous

cables snapped? cut the power down the line (like to your house) at the breaker, use a jumper cable to grip both sides of copper of the snapped cable. the spring teeth hold on to the cable well, and the gauge is thick enough to carry hundreds of amps

keep surrounding combustible materials to a minimum, don't touch any cables that are still carrying a current so you don't die, never use a metal ladder

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also lol gently caress, suddenly realizing the destruction of fall peak color season is up there with "Hey remember how you used to have to scrape bugs off your windshield?"

I don't really miss the bug thing that much

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Trees also aren't the cure-all most people seem to delude themselves into thinking they are. High school earth science classes instill a rudimentary and flawed concept of how trees "filter" the air.

Trees release all of the carbon they've captured when they die (naturally or unnaturally) or burn. And there are potential future scenarios where photosynthesis could break down.

The only way to lessen the CO2, CH4, and NO2 in the atmosphere isn't to bury it, it's to get it the gently caress off-planet ~somehow~, and the technology and materials don't exist to do that and - for us - likely never will. You're talking mega-structure space elevators connected to HEPA-like filters powered by *mature* fusion technology that need to be replaced and disposed of ~somewhere~ or wormholes to alternate dimensions where we dump our garbage like in that old Simpsons Halloween sketch.

I've given something a lot of thought recently. Nature's Original Sin, aside from granting hominids ever increasingly better problem-solving brains, was making *women* menstruate. If men bled from their dicks once every month, we'd have skipped tens of thousands of wasted years of "how make shinier stronger and sharper stabby things" and "how make things what make our stabbing people able to go elsewhere to steal things from people with less good stabby things." Religion would've been a non-concept, a distraction we never fell prey to, because praying wouldn't make the bleeding stop, only logic and science would. Oh well, "for want of a nail" and all that jazz.

just turn it all into big chunks of diamond duh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

what the gently caress

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unless posted:

same thing happened up in the mountains down here in southern new mexico last October

the leaves hadn’t even died and left the trees yet, and we got a super wet snow that just dragged all the trees down low

woke up in the middle of the night in my warehouse to the loud BANG of a transformer exploding a couple blocks over, the carrier line snapping, and all my UPS’ fluctuating beeping on and off

during the day, I went to open the gate for a friend’s camper and I saw electricity arcing from one side to the other

learned how useful jumper cables are at reconnecting downed lines, I tell you what
don't go near downed lines you loving moron

Unless posted:

cables snapped? cut the power down the line (like to your house) at the breaker, use a jumper cable to grip both sides of copper of the snapped cable. the spring teeth hold on to the cable well, and the gauge is thick enough to carry hundreds of amps

keep surrounding combustible materials to a minimum, don't touch any cables that are still carrying a current so you don't die, never use a metal ladder
hundreds of amps? do you know what a loving watt is?

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Oct 12, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

not much watts up with you

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Unless posted:

This is a terrible loving idea. Don't do this. Don't touch downed power lines. Don't approach downed power lines. What are you doing and what are you advocating?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
sticking a giant 150km long exhaust pipe at the strato-mesosphere boundary honestly doesn't sound like the worst idea and no more ridiculous or unfeasible than any other given CCT idea

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A downed primary will light you on fire from the inside and you'll be dead before you realize you're in danger. A secondary will boil you. Do not gently caress with power lines.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dolphin posted:

A downed primary will light you on fire from the inside and you'll be dead before you realize you're in danger. A secondary will boil you. Do not gently caress with power lines.

buddy,

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
One thign you can really do, for a fun time, is burn styrofoam in an enclosed space

just generally burn trash in a sealed container

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a alligator clamp killed my father

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnw7XYzaZZU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
aftermarket exhaust kit on planet earth

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the video is great but it could make all the same points with 50% of the runtime, definitely

edit: I get that the op wants to be thorough and this is their full and complete manifesto of sorts, so maybe a short version as a companion would be good too vOv

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Oct 12, 2021

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I found the perfect car for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEddCLW3SM

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody