Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

i mean how could we forget:

while looking for it i found a picture of his full profile too. i always assumed it was a funny quote put on a generic picture of an unpleasant man but no, looks like he's the real deal

18-50

i’m not his age yet but i cannot possibly imagine wanting to date (or “date”) an 18 yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

New friends and casual sex

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Two things
1. I'm laughing every time I see those loving pics
2. I can't get over the resemblance to Alex Jones and just letting my imagination run wild with that theory

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Really? What's bad about it? I went on a date earlier last year and it was pretty fun.

"going on a date" != "online dating"

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Carlos Danger

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lolling at this design policy i just ran across

quote:

First, the important control points are located. These may be man-made or natural features. Property lines may be a control. Where possible, avoid dividing properties or taking a narrow strip from each of two properties. Also, avoid splitting cohesive neighborhoods. If a grade is a control, the maximum difference in elevation between points is identified.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

"going on a date" != "online dating"

I met her through tinder, that sounds like online dating.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do you understand how "i'm trying to get a job (by interviewing at 20 companies, sitting by the phone, obsessively checking my email, getting tons of rejections)" is different from "i got a job (they gave me an offer and i accepted)"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i try not to talk to single people about dating but it does sound terrible. I’d probably just join a liberal church at this point.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a friend of mine from louisiana moved to san jose and hearing her describe the dating scene there sounded like a complete nightmare

the pro move she learned was to join gaming clubs. apparently this is a common enough dating/mixer scheme that there's now a bay area ladies' boardgame club of some significant size

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the pro move she learned was to join gaming clubs. apparently this is a common enough dating/mixer scheme that there's now a bay area ladies' boardgame club of some significant size
this is the kind of thing i would do. even if you don't meet anyone special trying isn't so agonizing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

do you understand how "i'm trying to get a job (by interviewing at 20 companies, sitting by the phone, obsessively checking my email, getting tons of rejections)" is different from "i got a job (they gave me an offer and i accepted)"

This is all dating especially online dating. I'm not disputing that online dating is depressing, especially when you are constantly swiping with few results. I'm asking OP what made it so bad, and gave an anecdote about my online dating experience.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a reasonably good analogy because the only way you're gonna get a job is by slogging through the application process, which literally everyone hates, but also which literally everyone must do.

You can keep the online part of online dating to a minimum by exchanging a few pleasantries and then asking them out for coffee and all parties involved will appreciate it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If I was a billionaire i'd simply spend my work time arguing with people on the internet.

looks like we found notch's SA account

graph posted:

a high school pal started dating howard hannas daughter in college then quickly realized he'd never have to work again

i mean, i'd wait until getting married before making that assumption

man, that's a weird thing to think about. like i'm thinking about "what would that be like, where the other person just has all of the resources in the relationship?" and realizing that was just the way things were (and for some people, still is) for so many women in this country for centuries. we live in such a hosed up society

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm probably going to literally die of loneliness but i'm okay with that, its time.

jonny no

The Fool posted:

what about fry’s

they died. :rip:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Franz posted:

that's the one that tells anyone who isn't religious to gently caress off, right?

i have a friend who got bounced from eharmony for being too atheist lol

Sagebrush posted:

It's a reasonably good analogy because the only way you're gonna get a job is by slogging through the application process, which literally everyone hates, but also which literally everyone must do.

You can keep the online part of online dating to a minimum by exchanging a few pleasantries and then asking them out for coffee and all parties involved will appreciate it.

lol yeah that's why i've always hated applying for jobs. all the downsides of dating, but instead of getting to kiss someone you have to go to work.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Hearing the rest of y'all describe dating, I can blame Jonny zero for wanting to avoid it.

Not that I'd know, haven't had a drama-free moment in my adult life. I don't really do dating, things just keep happening and people keep having feelings.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

with babby #3 on the horizon i've started the hunt for a 3rd row car

i would be fine with a minivan except that my mom crashed 3 of them growing up with us inside so i'm not really a fan safetywise

the honda and toyota ones both seem fine, but lol the escalade does also exist

You very much don't need a third row to transport three kids, even small cars have enough room for three kids in the back.

Also, you can buy an SUV without inventing a weird excuse for why a minivan isn't cool enough. Do you think your mom wouldn't have crashed another type of car? I really don't get it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i agree with you but

quote:

Colorado law requires children to ride in a car seat or booster seat until their 8th birthday, but many children will not properly fit in a seat belt alone at this age. Keep children in a booster seat until they are at least 4'9".

this poo poo blows my mind

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

this is the best tip. if someone wants to message back and forth interminably instead of actually meeting you just drop them. you already have a place to chat with people who live in your computer

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

wonder if I can get away with creating new accounts for online dating stuff with a different email or if they'll all just immediately go "lol we know this iphone get back on your account from when you were an ugly motherfucker"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

bump_fn posted:

ahhahahaha NO poo poo

yeah obviously. If the democrats gave people what they want then what would they campaign on? Doing more good things?? That's crazy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

akadajet posted:

dating sucks

me and my now ex-fiancé broke it off and i don't want to date

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm not sure what's more daunting, the thought of just getting foreverially turbo-rejected by everyone, or the thought of matching with someone after weeks of whiffing only to have to pass because they insisted on going to a drat bar or something during a pandemic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Clark Nova posted:

this is the best tip. if someone wants to message back and forth interminably instead of actually meeting you just drop them. you already have a place to chat with people who live in your computer

yeah i think thats the worst thing about what i imagine modern stuff is. like a billion texts back and forth or w/e. ugh

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
p.s. i know it's me, i'm the broken one, i'm not owed anything

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

p.s. i know it's me, i'm the broken one, i'm not owed anything

same

often I feel like I can't catch a break but drat if the reality isn't that I'm just poo poo at this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dating is a slog but i think about the alternatives and it's like -- everything has its ups and downs.

you can do the online dating thing and grind through hundreds of profiles to get the twenty that message you back and the five that you meet in person and hope that one of them is nice.

or you can meet your SO in high school like all our parents did, and that's easy and cute and romantic, and then 20 years later you've got three kids and a mortgage and hate each others' guts.

or you can do like so many cultures do and have your relatives shop around and set you up with someone, and that isn't "romantic" by western cultural standards but actually it seems to work fairly well.

i don't think the disney meet-cute happily ever after thing actually exists.

vvvvvvv i can't disagree with any of that, either.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i think thats the worst thing about what i imagine modern stuff is. like a billion texts back and forth or w/e. ugh

it's not, that's near the bottom of the list of problems with it. the actual fundamental problem is that every incentive makes the ideal solution to any issue to

Clark Nova posted:

just drop them

which means everyone is locked into this vicious cycle of constantly increasing sociopathy. anything smells wrong, just swipe left (or right or whichever one is rejection, i've been off the market long enough to forget), or ghost the texts, or flake on the meetup. basically just treat everyone else as disposable. so everyone does it and everyone thinks about everyone else that way and it's a horrible, horrible emotional foundation to actually meet someone you intend to spend time with and care about.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, I don't advocate being cruel or ghosting people, I just always found that that particular behavior usually meant nothing else was ever going to happen. :shrug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

or you can do like so many cultures do and have your relatives shop around and set you up with someone, and that isn't "romantic" by western cultural standards but actually it seems to work fairly well.

my understanding is that the cultures where this is common or normalized also strongly, strongly discourage divorce so it gives a false sense of these marriages' success rate

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i met my wife on a chinese tinder clone. works for me

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i agree with you but

this poo poo blows my mind

apparently the nhtsa recommendation is to keep them in a booster up to age 12, which seems very optimistic to get a kid to do that.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 14, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my understanding is that the cultures where this is common or normalized also strongly, strongly discourage divorce so it gives a false sense of these marriages' success rate

Yeah. And those same cultures tend to have a "oldest male is the eternal unquestioned authority" thing going on so reports may be a little biased

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mediaphage posted:

18-50

i’m not his age yet but i cannot possibly imagine wanting to date (or “date”) an 18 yo

18-year-olds are still kids in every way except for military purposes

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Stereotype posted:

me and my now ex-fiancé broke it off and i don't want to date

I’m sorry to hear :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

if it’s any consolation to anyone here, if my dumbass can manage to trick a pretty lady into marrying me, then anyone can

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

if it’s any consolation to anyone here, if my dumbass can manage to trick a pretty lady into marrying me, then anyone can

The bar is so low that if you don't ask a girl if she will sit on your face as your opening line you might even get a conversation going.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
lol
https://twitter.com/snachocheese/status/1448377991994740740?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kinda casts the bit where she refused to retire under obama in a new light, doesn't it?

i hope she's enjoying seeing her spot replaced by that fundie lunatic with a quarter as much legal experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
she also only had one black clerk in like 40 years on the bench, lady was definitely racist as hell and didn't want a black man appointing her replacement

clinton originally appointed her as a conservative-ish moderate, and she spent her career dismantling affirmative action programs and their associated legal doctrines for women. it's not a big leap