Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Azathoth posted:

One of the more interesting things about the actual Skinwalker Ranch property and the experiences there is how digging seems to somehow set off whatever is happening. The famous story of the post hole digger being found up a tree from the original book being probably the most famous.

i mean don't the Navajo and Hopi and so forth just straight up say "look, that is not a place of honor"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean don't the Navajo and Hopi and so forth just straight up say "look, that is not a place of honor"?

Dunno, do they?

I'm needing to do a deeper dive on this fantastic sounding story clearly. It is October, after all

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Bilirubin posted:

Dunno, do they?

I'm needing to do a deeper dive on this fantastic sounding story clearly. It is October, after all

tbh i can't even remember half the crap i've heard about that place. also scammers and such don't usually bother to ask before, say, naming the ranch after a taboo topic for publicity.

e: this video claims the Navajo cursed the land because the Ute cooperated with America in doing bad poo poo, which is at least a plausible premise. i dunno why they wouldn't curse say the white house instead, but its possible that america is already too accursed for them to do anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrnbrqDz-g

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Oct 19, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

i remember reading about a place north of skinwalker ranch, called "Dark Canyon", which according to local myth (or internet bullshit), is a place that skinwalkers live

don't remember where i read it though

here's dark canyon:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5928357,-110.0808263,816m/data=!3m1!1e3

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i want to go to utah and hike over to some skinwalking demon lairs but im afraid of what id bring back

the roni that is

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Rah! posted:

i remember reading about a place north of skinwalker ranch, called "Dark Canyon", which according to local myth (or internet bullshit), is a place that skinwalkers live

don't remember where i read it though

here's dark canyon:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5928357,-110.0808263,816m/data=!3m1!1e3

Wikipedia says there's also Anasazi ruins in the canyon :tinfoil:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Missionary Positron posted:

Wikipedia says there's also Anasazi ruins in the canyon :tinfoil:

Ancestral Puebloan. They have lots of decedents in the area and it turns out asking the people who killed them what their name is wasn't the smartest first move. (Anasazi means "ancient enemy," or possibly "enemy ancestors" in Navajo; the latter perhaps reflecting the fact that peaceful relations were achieved after the initial conflict due to the Dene migration into the area).

e:

quote:

What is wrong with "Anasazi"? For starters, it is a Navajo word unrelated to any of the Pueblo peoples who are modern-day descendants of the Anasazi. But more than that, the word is a veiled insult.

For a long time, it was romantically — and incorrectly — thought to mean "Old Ones." It actually means "Enemy Ancestors," a term full of political innuendo and slippery history.

In Navajo, ’Ana’í means alien, enemy, foreigner, and non-Navajo. ’Anaa’ means war. Sází translates to something or someone that was once whole and is now scattered, a word used to describe the final point of corporeal decay, as a body turns to bones and is strewn by scavengers and erosion.

Pueblo people have expressed serious concerns about this word. Naming the past can either connect people to their own ancestors or alienate them, and a word as loaded as Anasazi is likely to erode crucial links to the past.

Some have suggested using the Hopi word Hisatsinom, a term referring to ancestors. But because Hisatsinom is a Hopi word, it does not account for other Pueblo groups, such as the Zuni or Acoma, or the many pueblos along the San Juan River and the Rio Grande in New Mexico.

Many archaeologists and media outlets have turned to using "Ancestral Puebloans," an expression that is rapidly gaining popularity. But the modern Pueblo tribes trace their ancestry to nearly all of Arizona, and as far away as the Mexico City region — far beyond the Colorado Plateau where the Anasazi once lived.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/307/15815

e2: i just realized the term as translated as "enemy ancestors" is best characterized as a "humblebrag."

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Oct 19, 2021

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Ancestral Puebloan. They have lots of decedents in the area and it turns out asking the people who killed them what their name is wasn't the smartest first move. (Anasazi means "ancient enemy," or possibly "enemy ancestors" in Navajo; the latter perhaps reflecting the fact that peaceful relations were achieved after the initial conflict due to the Dene migration into the area).

e:

https://www.hcn.org/issues/307/15815

e2: i just realized the term as translated as "enemy ancestors" is best characterized as a "humblebrag."

Oh, I didn't know that. I'll use ancestral puebloan in the future!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

Oh, I didn't know that. I'll use ancestral puebloan in the future!

And that's Gurren. And that's Lagann. That's "the Power of Friendship."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Northern Iraq 2008 Drone Control Center UAP Footage Leak

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
All the goon stories of UFOs/paranormal experiences are great, thanks to everyone sharing.

Since I started it, might as well lay my cards on the table… Saw what seemed to be a Bigfoot with my father when I was around 12. With no prior interest in UFOs, I had two conscious “abductions” when I was 17/18 (I’m old so this was a couple of decades ago). One left physical evidence. Told everyone I knew, no one believed me, life goes on. Still wasn’t that interested other than I knew it was real.

Saw a UFO hovering in a field once in my twenties. Parked the car, don’t remember what happened after that other than I made it home. Later in my twenties had a period of missing time while driving that same rural highway.

At about thirty I saw an exhibition of children’s art, one of them had a UFO. Somehow that triggered me to think of finding a book about all this poo poo. Didn’t realize there were tons. After reading David Jacob’s “Secret Life” and recognizing how similar my abductions were to other reports, decided to get regressive hypnosis. The memory was too terrifying during that and the therapist ended our session (I was able to remember what I ate, what I read in the newspaper, what my room looked like before the first encounter though :toot:).

Dove head first into the subject after that. Read everything I could. Started investigating cases. Still do. I’ve had a single conscious encounter since those listed; a dual abduction with my infant son when we visited the same rural area I grew up in. That was about six years ago.

No psychiatric illness, but I have always had a very hard time going to sleep. Take part of a hardcore sleeping pill most nights, but try not to overdo it.

Everyone I know IRL is aware of this stuff. Never shied away from telling people. I know what I saw. My wife haaates it to an almost irrational degree.

Thanks for reading my Sedona New-Age Weirdo Conference transcript.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Neat, that even has the classic saucer profile

And since we're sharing, I've never had any experiences - nor known anyone who claimed to. I'm out there looking like Mulder though, desperate for something.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
I have a vague memory of seeing the edge of a large disc sliding behind a cloud one morning before school and once saw a bunch of lights move oddly in the night sky when I was 20. A friend of mine swears he saw a black triangle back when he was 15.

pretty lame sightings all in all, imo

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Fly Ricky thanks for sharing! Yeah, missing time and the general paranoia of falling asleep suck rear end. A few people who share these kinds of experiences habe reported that doing CE5 and approaching the whole thing in a more positive perspective helped them regaining a sense of agency - they still lived with weirdness, but at least they felt they were part of a more positive constellation. But I guess that depends on you ET handlers and the specific memory that was recovered during hypnosis. Any hint of the involved beings?

Btw, for anyone interested in the weirdness of abductions, I still recommend the documentary "love and saucers". It really brings across how terrifying and absurd these experiences can get and also makes you understand why ETs might supress even memories fromthe most positive encounters: living with memories of something that is lightyears from your usual life in this society tends to break you - nothing really makes sense anymore, normal life feels absurd, but anomalies are seldom and leave no trace, questioning your sanity even more, etc.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I have a vague memory of seeing the edge of a large disc sliding behind a cloud one morning before school and once saw a bunch of lights move oddly in the night sky when I was 20. A friend of mine swears he saw a black triangle back when he was 15.

pretty lame sightings all in all, imo

For what it's worth the lamest ones always ring the most true to me. Human brains are really good at filling in and inventing detail, so I always get a little suspicious when things make too nice of a story.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 240 days!

SavageGentleman posted:

Fly Ricky thanks for sharing! Yeah, missing time and the general paranoia of falling asleep suck rear end. A few people who share these kinds of experiences habe reported that doing CE5 and approaching the whole thing in a more positive perspective helped them regaining a sense of agency - they still lived with weirdness, but at least they felt they were part of a more positive constellation. But I guess that depends on you ET handlers and the specific memory that was recovered during hypnosis. Any hint of the involved beings?

Btw, for anyone interested in the weirdness of abductions, I still recommend the documentary "love and saucers". It really brings across how terrifying and absurd these experiences can get and also makes you understand why ETs might supress even memories fromthe most positive encounters: living with memories of something that is lightyears from your usual life in this society tends to break you - nothing really makes sense anymore, normal life feels absurd, but anomalies are seldom and leave no trace, questioning your sanity even more, etc.

i mean, a respectfully skeptical position might consider that people with these experiences may be falling into a specific meditative state of mind that can be traumatic if not understood. by 'skeptical' i mean like way more interested in exploring and self-control of mental states than mainstream science is in practice, but not really going that wild in terms of what we do know about meditation and the ability to induce various uncommon mental states through various means.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArtBell/comments/qa6hw7/5_new_24x7_art_bell_audio_streams_available/
theultimateartbell.ddns.net:8000/stream
theultimateartbell.ddns.net:8000/stream2
theultimateartbell.ddns.net:8000/stream3
theultimateartbell.ddns.net:8000/stream4
theultimateartbell.ddns.net:8000/stream5

Listening to stream 5 right now, guy in 1995 talking about phenom. rather similar to what we are hearing about this year/last year. Love it.
e; while i'll link dumping here is 1 cool 90s level abduction clips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJ8cQi5pfQ

Lampsacus has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Oct 19, 2021

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean, a respectfully skeptical position might consider that people with these experiences may be falling into a specific meditative state of mind that can be traumatic if not understood. by 'skeptical' i mean like way more interested in exploring and self-control of mental states than mainstream science is in practice, but not really going that wild in terms of what we do know about meditation and the ability to induce various uncommon mental states through various means.

Yeah, seeing that the tendency for contact/abduction experiences seems to be almost inherited in certain families (grandparents, parents, grandchilfren), one might argue that either certain 'bloodlines' are being monitored through time by ETs or that certain families carry a genetic tendency to develop these exotic mental experiences. mentants of the future, unite!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Wait my dad's incoherent indigo child rants mgiht be true?! Bow to your new kings for you are ants and i am your destroyer tee hee

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SavageGentleman posted:

But I guess that depends on you ET handlers and the specific memory that was recovered during hypnosis. Any hint of the involved beings?

It's funny because I remember the entities very clearly from the event itself (small greys got me, a tall grey worked with me), and it doesn't bother me in daily life. The sleep problem is clearly related, but I'm never afraid to sleep, I just resist going to bed. The only two times it freaked me out is when it happened and during regression. We didn't even make it past the "capture" during that session. Getting involved in abduction research and the surrounding community really changed the entire experience from "well that was a weird thing that happened" to "this was actually a life changing event and has really opened my mind".

SavageGentleman posted:

Btw, for anyone interested in the weirdness of abductions, I still recommend the documentary "love and saucers".

Thanks for this recommendation! Never heard of it, and the synopsis sounds wild. Will watch it this week.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Azathoth posted:

You joke but yeah, engaging with the phenomenon, regardless of belief, seems to correlate with seeing poo poo.

I stumbled into this thread because I ran out of threads to read bc I can’t sleep (clowns!). I don’t want to blow anyones mind here but the brain is extremely prone to suggestion and social influence, especially under stress — and who hasn’t been stressed out lately? same goes for memory. it’s unreliable and every time you recall a memory with new information in your mental workspace, it will change that memory and link it to those new things that are on your mind.

the way people have described some of their waking experiences sound pretty similar to epileptic aura, which is known to be associated with experiencing such things. it’s plausible that religious figures in history were afflicted by similar conditions.

also, i think people on this entire forum have probably done way more drugs than the average person, and they are generally kind of different from Normal People (we’re all hosed up here). a simpler explanation than aliens not visiting authoritarian brains is that some people have brains which make them think they’re being visited by aliens only non authoritarians can see.

it’s also weird that most of the stories come out of the United States, like there’s some kind of exceptionalism going on, and it also mirrors hollywood. americans love talking about this poo poo because it’s their mangled, cobbled-together culture that emerged under the unchecked conditions of excess, duress, overstimulation, and understimulation of various types brought to you by living here.

in Turkey people might talk about curses or djinns or something like that, always based on pop culture depictions like movies and not even so much religious literature. it’s way less common than Americans talking about abductions and so on, probably roughly in proportion to the amount of television about these topics.

some people say these are different culturally bound interpretations of actual supernatural phenomena like aliens, but it’s way more likely to be a social phenomenon that interacts with brains in unusual circumstances. meditation and drugs are probably good bets to create such circumstances.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Oct 19, 2021

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Or it's because the US government has signed an exclusive contract with ETs to supply them with human cattle for experiments/adrenochrome harvest/butt probing/entertainment - gotta corner that market before the other nations get a foothold! :freep:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I bet lost time has something to do with driving cars too much and too long over considerable distances, which nobody else really does quite as well. cars probably rot your brain worse than mtv

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I didn't mean it in the sense of pareidolia but more in the sense that engaging with the phenomenon correlates with having truly inexplicable experiences, not seeing birds in the sky and thinking aliens. But yeah, the vast majority of experiences that people have that have no obvious explanation do in fact have some mundane explanation even if it can't be conclusively proven. I think most folks here will readily acknowledge that.

However, aliens are real, they are here, they are our friends and will definitely bring about world peace immediately. This has been conclusively proven in multiple different Twitter threads.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mawarannahr posted:

I stumbled into this thread because I ran out of threads to read bc I can’t sleep (clowns!). I don’t want to blow anyones mind here but the brain is extremely prone to suggestion and social influence, especially under stress — and who hasn’t been stressed out lately? same goes for memory. it’s unreliable and every time you recall a memory with new information in your mental workspace, it will change that memory and link it to those new things that are on your mind.

the way people have described some of their waking experiences sound pretty similar to epileptic aura, which is known to be associated with experiencing such things. it’s plausible that religious figures in history were afflicted by similar conditions.

also, i think people on this entire forum have probably done way more drugs than the average person, and they are generally kind of different from Normal People (we’re all hosed up here). a simpler explanation than aliens not visiting authoritarian brains is that some people have brains which make them think they’re being visited by aliens only non authoritarians can see.

it’s also weird that most of the stories come out of the United States, like there’s some kind of exceptionalism going on, and it also mirrors hollywood. americans love talking about this poo poo because it’s their mangled, cobbled-together culture that emerged under the unchecked conditions of excess, duress, overstimulation, and understimulation of various types brought to you by living here.

in Turkey people might talk about curses or djinns or something like that, always based on pop culture depictions like movies and not even so much religious literature. it’s way less common than Americans talking about abductions and so on, probably roughly in proportion to the amount of television about these topics.

some people say these are different culturally bound interpretations of actual supernatural phenomena like aliens, but it’s way more likely to be a social phenomenon that interacts with brains in unusual circumstances. meditation and drugs are probably good bets to create such circumstances.

you might be right but everything sucks rear end now so personally im gonna dive deep into this rabbit hole

its a lot more interesting than watching the office again + probably doing less drain bamage than binging a steady diet of the biosphere collapse thread and the arctic sea ice forums

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

it’s also weird that most of the stories come out of the United States

This just isn't true. I thought the whole UFO and surrounding topics was US centric but once you start digging it's very similar everywhere as far as sightings and experiences go. Tons of other governments have/have had UFO programs and most of them have not been classified and have put out reports saying it's happening etc.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

in canada the ufos abduct maple syrup straight from the tree, u go out to ur maple tree to get syrup for breakfast and its just a withered, brittle husk that leaves a nightmarish silhouette on the horizon if viewed from a distance

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
swedish ufo beaming ikea instructions for zero point energy into me

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lights are one thing and it makes sense for governments to track them. who knows what they are

personal experiences, though, are more socially and culturally mediated, and the hegemonic spread of media depicting the American imagination of unexplained leads to converging explanations

quote:

The MRF claimed to have received self-identified reports of Morgellons from all 50 US states and 15 other countries, including Canada, the UK, Australia, and the Netherlands, and states that it has been contacted by over 12,000 families.[16]

The first article to propose Morgellons as a new disease in a scientific journal was a review article co-authored by members of the MRF and published in 2006 by the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology.[23] A 2006 article in the San Francisco Chronicle reported, "There have been no clinical studies" of Morgellons disease.[23] A New Scientist article in 2007 also covered the phenomenon, noting that people are reporting similar symptoms in Europe and Australia.[24]

In an article published in the Los Angeles Times on April 22, 2010, singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell claimed to have the condition.[25]

On June 13, 2011, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Radio National broadcast The Mystery of Morgellons with guests including Mayo Clinic Professor Mark Davis.[26

maybe this truly is a worldwide issue and I’m sure many of these people knew what they saw, but I have little doubt which country it came from (great satan).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

blatman posted:

you might be right but everything sucks rear end now so personally im gonna dive deep into this rabbit hole

its a lot more interesting than watching the office again + probably doing less drain bamage than binging a steady diet of the biosphere collapse thread and the arctic sea ice forums
literally just started binging the office again to stay off the arctic sea ice forums but have pivoted into art bell so i tend to agree with the sentiment of this post.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fly Ricky posted:

It's funny because I remember the entities very clearly from the event itself (small greys got me, a tall grey worked with me), and it doesn't bother me in daily life. The sleep problem is clearly related, but I'm never afraid to sleep, I just resist going to bed. The only two times it freaked me out is when it happened and during regression. We didn't even make it past the "capture" during that session. Getting involved in abduction research and the surrounding community really changed the entire experience from "well that was a weird thing that happened" to "this was actually a life changing event and has really opened my mind".

If you don't mind, I'm going to gently push back and play devil's advocate for a minute - what do you say to the extremely convincing evidence (to me, anyway) that recovered memories elicited by hypnotic regression are almost always completely fabricated? I'm thinking specifically of the Satanic Panic in the 90s.

Do you have any memories of experiences with aliens outside of the hypnotic setting? Any in your waking life that didn't require an intervention of some sort in order to recall?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah we've known since the 90s that people who are highly suggestible will believe or say literally anything. Anyone who is a parent also knows this.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you're on an Art Bell binge, try to find his interview with Malachy Martin, an exiled Jesuit priest that claimes to know the third secret of Fatima (but surprise! Isn't really divulging it) - great Halloween spooky bait! Also the whole thing about Mary apparitions is similarly fascinating from a UFO perspective. Really Magonia weirdness all the way down.

SavageGentleman has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Oct 19, 2021

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SavageGentleman posted:

If you're on an Art Bell binge, try to find his interview with Malachy Martin, an exiled Jesuit priest that claimes to know the third secret of Fatima (but surprise! Isn't really divulging it) - great Halloween spooky bait! Also the whole thing about Mary apparitions is similarly fascinating from a UFO perspective. Really Magonia weirdness all the way down.

the third secret of Fatima is that Bigfoot has some massive junk in the trunk!

https://twitter.com/sandiawisdom/status/1450469282538741765

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

The newest episode of Our Strange Skies addresses how lovely the American-centric discourse is in Ufology and then proceeds to skim the surface of African UFO cases for close to 2 hours, noting specifically that sightings had been going on there for seemingly just as long as anywhere else but were often interpreted by the witnesses as interactions with ancestral spirits, not otherworldly craft.

Make of that what you will, but I don't think it's fair to label it a uniquely American phenomena.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

neutral milf hotel posted:

the third secret of Fatima is that Bigfoot has some massive junk in the trunk!

https://twitter.com/sandiawisdom/status/1450469282538741765

we'ed

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

caked up bigfoot

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Objurium posted:

The newest episode of Our Strange Skies addresses how lovely the American-centric discourse is in Ufology and then proceeds to skim the surface of African UFO cases for close to 2 hours, noting specifically that sightings had been going on there for seemingly just as long as anywhere else but were often interpreted by the witnesses as interactions with ancestral spirits, not otherworldly craft.

Make of that what you will, but I don't think it's fair to label it a uniquely American phenomena.

There was a fascinating UFO flap in Colares, Brazil from back in the 70s and it is both familiar to US cases in some ways and startlingly different in others. The object descriptions, their movement, etc. were very much in line with American reports, but they were much more dangerous. Several people died from direct exposure to something that seemed like radiation after being shot by beams from the craft, a lot more were injured, but the exact symptoms don't quite line up with radiation poisoning. The Brazilian military did a full blown investigation, complete with tons of released images and documents but aside from documenting that something was definitely occurring, they were just as baffled as the public.

I have personally researched it extensively, and I think one of the biggest reasons that UFOs seem so Americacentric or Eurocentric is primarily a language issue, not that the phenomenon is not occurring elsewhere.

When I was doing my research, I was fortunate enough that there had been some roughly contemporaneous investigation by Americans. I could at least get things like locations, dates and names to look up newspaper accounts, which I could then plug into Google Translate to at least roughly corroborate stories. That would give me names of researchers and terms and whatnot that I could scan for in surrounding issues.

But beyond just locating stories, it's so hard to judge source quality in a language I don't know, and drat near impossible to branch out like I can with American, or at least English language sources.

As I was doing the research, it because exceptionally clear that there's a whole branch of ufology in Brazil with its own famous names and personalities and sightings that are more or less unknown in America, including a full on abduction story from 1957, fully 4 years before Betty and Barney Hill (Antônio Villas Boas).

Our Strange Skies did good episodes on both Colares and Villas Boas.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SpaceGoku posted:

caked up bigfoot

watch the Patterson Gimlin Film. it canonically establishes that Bigfoot has a gigantic rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Tons of stories come from outside the united states. There are stories from Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil, India, Iran, Spain, Italy, Zimbabwe, Russia, Norway, France, the UK, China, Australia, etc. Many nations have also done their own UFO investigations at various points in time, such as the UK, France, Spain, Russia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China (has one going on right now), and Japan (recently agreed to update guidelines and work with the US on reporting UFOs). But it is true that most of the stories that are well known, are from the US.

It makes sense: we've been spreading our culture all over the world via Hollywood and whatnot for a century, we are the third most populous nation in the world, which means there are a lot of anecdotes to share, and we're also the largest English-speaking nation, so most English language media is going to be from America, including UFO stories. We also have a ton of nukes (which allegedly attract UFOs). Most of the well-known places (in the English speaking world, not sure about elsewhere) where you can report UFOS are also based in the US, and would naturally attract English speakers and people from the US, over others. I recently saw a world map of a century of UFO sightings that was posted on reddit, that seemed to show that UFOs are disproportionately seen in the United States and other English speaking countries. But they had only looked through a single American UFO database, NUFORC. Kinda like they assumed that if people in Nepal or Chile saw a UFO, or heard an old story about one, that they would obviously think to hop on the internet and report it to this one American website.

Rah! has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Oct 19, 2021