Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it must be super cool to be a white guy who went to the right schools, like you can accomplish basically nothing and people are like whoa he’s presidential material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so you have no duis resulting in fatalities? let’s get a pac formed posthaste

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

qirex posted:

it must be super cool to be a white guy who went to the right schools, like you can accomplish basically nothing and people are like whoa he’s presidential material

aer you saying institutions reproduce class structures?????!?K!KSadf;

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

called it. so how much money / how much carbon was burnt for this stunt

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hahahahhahaha holy loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/spokanerising/status/1453927747277840388?s=20

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/kevinrmcclure/status/1453912327905071111?s=20

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
That’s a doctor’s office.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

isn't bedrooms needing windows a fire code thing? is this even legal?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm glad they let a dwarf fortress player design bedrooms.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm glad they let a dwarf fortress player design bedrooms.

Where are the engravings?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

endlessmonotony posted:

Where are the engravings?

They're going to make the students do those.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They can also smooth out the stone in their free time.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gonna be a lot of fey moods in that dorm

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That does sound like it would drive the students stark raving mad.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ok lets hear this elliot kid out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't miss the part in the article about the 97 year old donor / amateur architect who gave the money on the condition that his plans be followed exactly

Or the very 97-year-old-man bit about how putting kids in tiny boxes is meant to encourage them to socialize with each other in the common rooms at the end of the hall, each of which I guess is supposed to support up to 64 people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol i didnt know gbs posters were getting that old already

:awesome: keep your dorm room door open! :awesome:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

lol i didnt know gbs posters were getting that old already

:awesome: keep your dorm room door open! :awesome:

i did the responsible thing and met people by latching on to my extroverted roommate

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i put a full sized couch in my dorm room and then everyone social on the floor would just come to my dorm to hang out :shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was in one of the 5% of rooms that had been wired for Ethernet at that point, so i agreed to become the ISP for our side of the floor. we put a big hub in my room and had an arm-thick bundle of cat5's snaking down the hall into about 12 other rooms

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was a resnet tech the first year they had it and the guy across the hall from me had a short rack of sun gear running 24/7 I never asked what it was for but he never got busted for anything so he was at least smart about it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

i put a full sized couch in my dorm room and then everyone social on the floor would just come to my dorm to hang out :shrug:

i can't imagine a dorm room large enough for a full size couch

mine only had room for two lofted beds and the desks under them. there was a little nook where you could stick a minifridge and put a tv on top of that. thats it.

incidentally thats all you needed if you wanted to spend all your time not on homework on eve

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgEAYCEphg6x6WDQ8NQGuILqN31SA6LP/view

heres the actual document. the bathrooms are mirrored, each has one toilet and one shower

the actual rooms are 10'x7' which uh wow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the roof looks cool.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

We had a gamecube in our room and it became the hangout room on our floor.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We had a gamecube in our room and it became the hangout room on our floor.

same but a ps2 with ssx

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hobbesmaster posted:

i can't imagine a dorm room large enough for a full size couch

mine only had room for two lofted beds and the desks under them. there was a little nook where you could stick a minifridge and put a tv on top of that. thats it.

incidentally thats all you needed if you wanted to spend all your time not on homework on eve

it was extremely cramped. we had bunk beds and the couch touched the bottom bunk and the opposite wall. you had to climb over the back of the couch to get to the windows and desks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgEAYCEphg6x6WDQ8NQGuILqN31SA6LP/view

heres the actual document. the bathrooms are mirrored, each has one toilet and one shower

the actual rooms are 10'x7' which uh wow

I guess I'll be the rooftop fitness center with 7 treadmills for um. 4700 people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I guess I'll be the rooftop fitness center with 7 treadmills for um. 4700 people

theres two of them plus fitness "studios"! so its more like idk 20 treadmills for 4700 people!

totally different

i think the roof is kinda cool but yeah thats not going to work lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i lived in a 6x1 suite my senior year and it loving ruled

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

Don't miss the part in the article about the 97 year old donor / amateur architect who gave the money on the condition that his plans be followed exactly

Or the very 97-year-old-man bit about how putting kids in tiny boxes is meant to encourage them to socialize with each other in the common rooms at the end of the hall, each of which I guess is supposed to support up to 64 people

that’s nuts. the largest dorm on the UT Austin campus is Jester Hall, people definitely complain that it is huge and impersonal, but it’s nothing as bad as that.

14 stories tall, built in the 1960s as the largest dorm in the US at the time, houses 3000 students (with two per room and communal bathrooms) and has a window in every room because not having a window makes people go insane.

the two sets of towers in the background here, the lower buildings in the front have cafeterias and other common areas, and even this huge thing has courtyards in the middle.

and the rooms are pretty austere but at least recently renovated:

before that they had these weird rear end sofa that pulls out into a bed things that dated to the 1970s a d were falling apart, which is what I mainly remember people complaining about when I was there 2 decades ago.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

this is like something out of Neal Stephenson’s “The Bit U” except more dystopian

in the books it was the academic bloc under the dorms that was an impersonal warren of windowless offices, conference rooms, lecture halls, cafeteria, and labs; the dormitory towers atop it were all plus-shaped to ensure every room had a window

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they should just make the building a fractal so that every room has three windows

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
oh cool. peach trees

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

they should just make the building a fractal so that every room has three windows

This was a fantastic joke

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a little smaller than my half of a double room at unc but private, air conditioned, and the communal spaces are so much better/actually present it's not even funny. i woulda killed for this housing back in uni

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

quote:

The project is utterly detached from its physical setting, McFadden goes on, and has no relationship to UCSB’s “spectacular coastal location.” It is also out of place with the scale and texture of the rest of campus, he said, “an alien world parked at the corner of the campus, not an integrally related extension of it.” Even the rooftop courtyard looks inward and “may as well be on the ground in the desert as on the eleventh floor on the coast of California,” he said.

:jerkbag:

guillotine everyone wringing their hands over the "texture" of a loving uni campus, build soulless fifty-story concrete apartment blocks over their graves

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oneiros posted:

:jerkbag:

guillotine everyone wringing their hands over the "texture" of a loving uni campus, build soulless fifty-story concrete apartment blocks over their graves

but maybe put windows in the rooms idk

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

windows are nice but i'd probably be fine with the common spaces and, you know, going outside in loving santa barbara. but i never really hung out in my dorm at uni anyway. was always in class, at the library or student union, hitting up the canteen, or lazing about one of the quads

anyhow this will almost certainly never actually make it to groundbreaking and then they can get back to building all that other student housing with windows they have lined up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Imagine living in a dorm where the bedrooms don't have windows, and can't be vented to the outside when they smell like your dirty laundry.

imagine living 100% time smelling other people's recycled farts and bong rips.

It's a brave world, folks.