Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
It was adversarial, but sounds like you regret that first post and agree this is all horrifying, so no worries! It seems pretty clear Paradox needs to clean house, starting from the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Imposter syndrome is a huge fear for most engineers and for a woman engineer to hear that would be fuckin horrifying. I don’t understand how that would not immediately get the one who said that fired.

Yeah, reading that made me feel deep, deep horror, and I cannot fathom how, presumably, anyone else in the meeting didn't loving walk out in disgust immediately.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I for one am boycotting all PDX products and won't buy a single thing until Vicky 3 comes out.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Considering the news, guessing the in development, unannounced, World of Gor VR Experience is one of the cancelled games being frantically swept under the rug :v:

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
easy... just pirate vicky 3

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mirello posted:

easy... just pirate vicky 3

yeah like i wasn't gonna do that anyway :rolleyes:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to play v3 and make sure wiz can eat.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I will never buy East v West.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

I will never buy East v West.

you're a real strait talker

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

unironically remove units as discrete objects you order around the map and replace it with fronts you just put manpower into whih then generate descriptions of whats going on based on dice rolls and tech bonuses

drat I'm good

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Agean90 posted:

drat I'm good

:confused:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

posted about Vicky 3 being improved with no clicking units around the map and the Vicky 3 dev diary revealed that the devs agreed, WHERES MY CHECK WIZ YOU SNOWY poo poo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Agean90 posted:

drat I'm good

thank you

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Agean90 posted:

posted about Vicky 3 being improved with no clicking units around the map and the Vicky 3 dev diary revealed that the devs agreed, WHERES MY CHECK WIZ YOU SNOWY poo poo

Oh I haven't been following Vicky 3 news at all. Good luck with the royalties

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Agean90 posted:

They stole the nation designer from me, no royalties yet. PM me to join a class action lawsuit.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd imagine most of the nerd royalty money is tied up trying to lawyer their way out of HR complaints anyway

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm sorry, but the design is based on Podcat and I's HoI3-expansion-era ideas about a WWI game where you only control the amount of horses supplied to areas of each front.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sorry, but the design is based on Podcat and I's HoI3-expansion-era ideas about a WWI game where you only control the amount of horses supplied to areas of each front.

Hearts of Iron Neigh

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

Shoes of Iron confirmed.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I mean, goons were out here calling johan incompetent to his face over imperator/eu4. So, no, it wasn't mostly just against paradox as a whole, nor about any of the scandals. Paradox devs get poo poo on a lot here just in general.

Bit late but since there's been a bunch about this and I was briefly mentioned. I just want to say none of you scared me away even if some here can get a bit brazen with their... critique. Besides being very busy at work I am also chairman of the local union chapter at pdx, plus my housing coop so I've just had way too much to do to dip in. But I do check in from time to time to see what people generally think about our games.

e: Heck I have one of my stupid quips as my av, I had totally forgotten.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 16, 2021

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

Bit late but since there's been a bunch about this and I was briefly mentioned. I just want to say none of you scared me away even if some here can get a bit brazen with their... critique. Besides being very busy at work I am also chairman of the local union chapter at pdx, plus my housing coop so I've just had way too much to do to dip in. But I do check in from time to time to see what people generally think about our games.

:tipshat:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

been playing Vicky 2 a bit and god drat i forgot that the prussians are invincible

you can't attack them at all without losing thousands of men it's wild

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

god drat i forgot that the prussians are invincible

- Napoleon III, September 2, 1870

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm france, i thought it'd be a moderately challenging dip back into the game but first the brits attacked me over some pissant colonial possession and then decided to try to grab half of northern france and then, immediately after i'd fended them off, the prussians decided to invade

like. it's a fun game but give me a break it's only 1855

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sounds like you aren't navy spamming and building forts. Covering the entire border in forts as your navy blockades them for score and exhaustion can cripple most countries.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i have both things and immediately blockaded them, but i only have level 2 forts and they keep getting military access agreements with people

i've fallen back to just throwing conscripts in their way and hitting them when they attack them, but it's a very bloody business

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groogy posted:

loving based holy poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah that's Vicky 2. Sometimes it ss like I can go an entire game without fighting a war. Other times I'm Brazil, it's 1845 and the French are invading the Amazon.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

trip report:

the prussians expanded their war aims twice, i held out as long as i could and then there was an actual revolution which i didn't have the forces to stop since they were all tied up in huge battles with prussians and they actually won

so now i lost half the country and there are rebels everywhere

is this what it was like to be a russian nobleman in 1917

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

loving anarcho-capitalists so i can't even do anything useful with them arrrgh

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The mod I was using removed those guys, can't remember the name but check my posts in this thread

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

V. Illych L. posted:

been playing Vicky 2 a bit and god drat i forgot that the prussians are invincible

Paradox has a weird mental thing about the Prussians because they had really good soldiers for a king and a half.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

V. Illych L. posted:

trip report:

the prussians expanded their war aims twice, i held out as long as i could and then there was an actual revolution which i didn't have the forces to stop since they were all tied up in huge battles with prussians and they actually won

so now i lost half the country and there are rebels everywhere

is this what it was like to be a russian nobleman in 1917

I can't count the number of times I've seen France just stop being an effective force by mid-late game in V2. Half the times I wasn't Prussia, or even trying to cause them grief, it was like they just got kicked so hard that they could no longer field an army that could defend against anything approaching France's size.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Groogy posted:

Sounds like you're doing some good and important poo poo on top of making video games for weirdos.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ardryn posted:

I can't count the number of times I've seen France just stop being an effective force by mid-late game in V2. Half the times I wasn't Prussia, or even trying to cause them grief, it was like they just got kicked so hard that they could no longer field an army that could defend against anything approaching France's size.

yeah but i'm supposed to be better at this than the ai

well i guess that's this playthrough, it's scrap and start anew or spend the next ten years of game-time trying to cling to great power status with infinite rebellions happening

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

become one with the rebels, your pops, your beloved

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mans posted:

Paradox has a weird mental thing about the Prussians because they had really good soldiers for a king and a half.

Turbodisciplined prussian supermen appeal really strongly to paradox fans even though Friedrich II and Bismarck were the only decent military rulers. That's why being a german protestant in Berlin in EU4 instantly gives you the best military in the game, in 1522.

See also: how anti-Hitler Germany does all the same poo poo as Hitler in HoI4, but it's totally not nazism, it's just glorious, unimpregnable prussian militarism, germans doing what they must do, etc etc, so the usual types can cum to their stalhelms but not be nazis.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Turbodisciplined prussian supermen appeal really strongly to paradox fans even though Friedrich II and Bismarck were the only decent military rulers. That's why being a german protestant in Berlin in EU4 instantly gives you the best military in the game, in 1522.

See also: how anti-Hitler Germany does all the same poo poo as Hitler in HoI4, but it's totally not nazism, it's just glorious, unimpregnable prussian militarism, germans doing what they must do, etc etc, so the usual types can cum to their stalhelms but not be nazis.

I’ve always had the impression the Prussian state was a super threatening military force as soon as it “existed”. Is this not the case? Also I don’t think you have to be a nazi enthusiast to be interested in the turbodisciplined Prussian army or whatever. There’s definitely other examples out there that get the same fascination IMO, samurai/Spartans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Absolutely not the case, no. Brandenburg-Prussia had a bad, bad time during the 30YW (during which it was very much a minor power), then it's kind of a regular middle power, if punching above it's weight for going all-in on a standing army early. Then comes the heyday of Frederick the Great in the mid 18th century, but that even that superiority barely enables him to take on the real great powers. By the time the French Revolutionary Wars break out the Prussian army performs pretty much on par with the other European militaries, right up until Napoleon bodies them so badly that they invent the General Staff to prevent that happening again. That General Staff with its focus on professionalism and meritocracy is the thing that makes the Prussian/German Army the supreme land army in Europe for a century and a half, but it doesn't exist until 1804.