Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Achtane posted:

I took a day off from work cause my back is killing me
BUT
I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the first time and it's so comfy. I just went through the time warp thingy at the fair.

AND I just discovered that high me packed the Pax with the last of the weed like a week ago. A gift from the past...

That warp was absolutely mind blowing to my 5 year old self. It also felt like it was longer when I was young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Zurtilik posted:

That warp was absolutely mind blowing to my 5 year old self. It also felt like it was longer when I was young.

When it happened I was wondering if it seemed incredible to kids back then. Like if there are people out there that recorded the SNES video feed to VHS or something

Zurtilik

That effect and a few other small things that pop up all over Chrono Trigger is actually a whole tech selling point for SNES over the Genesis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7

Basically let's you mess with the perspective of the background layer to do wacky 3D-lite effects and such. I'm sure it's actually more complicated than that but that seems to be my understanding.

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone in byob play new world? I do, but i feel like im sort of a hostage to it because my irl best friend is into it and wants to keep going on it. I honestly loving hate it. this game su cks

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Zurtilik posted:

That effect and a few other small things that pop up all over Chrono Trigger is actually a whole tech selling point for SNES over the Genesis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7

Basically let's you mess with the perspective of the background layer to do wacky 3D-lite effects and such. I'm sure it's actually more complicated than that but that seems to be my understanding.

Rad, thanks for the link. Now I've gone down the rabbit hole of new albeit old-school tech demos...

kode54

aka kuroshi
ive probably marathoned a bunch of random games i either just bought cause they sounded cool, or cause they caught my attention somehow.

started Spiritfarer months ago, put it down for a while

started Chicory: A Colorful Tale, gave it a break for a while, then picked it up and finished it a few nights ago, really great

played through Ikenfell over the course of over 30 hours, that was a cool game too

finally went through a stroll through Dear Esther a month ago, was somewhat moved by the story, since the whole point of the experience is to live a story. kind of disappointed people had to give it flak for not being an AAA blockbuster experience or something, like that made it fake or something.

also went through Gone Home, that was a cute story.

still occasionally play Fall Guys, but that’s mostly on the back burner now

froward

by Azathoth
i recently acquired the halo master chief collection, i have played most of the campaigns (i played halo 2 mp ONCE on xbox and it was full of hackers, i did not enjoy) here is my review

the whole package
this is six games sold as one package. all games can be played co-op with friends over steam. you can install multiplayer separate from campaign: you are not forced to install an entire game to play a campaign. keybindings and graphics settings for all games can be changed in one menu. the MCC interface is quick, response, slick, and loads very fast. its incredibly well done.

halo combat evolved anniversary
this is the first halo game, but with a graphical remaster. you can turn new graphics on/off with the tab key, *instantly* and this helps a lot - it really is just graphics not gameplay change. i played thru campaign with co-op with a friend and it was as fun as i remember. roaring soundtrack, great action pacing, good plot.

halo 2 electric boogaloo
also has a graphic remaster, i've only just started this campaign. not much i can say about this - i played it on the xbox the christmas it came out, it was enthralling; i'm curious to see if it holds up as well as i remember. this is the last game in which a human shotgun can kill anything.

halo 3 the rise of khan
this feels like halo 2 extended, the plot picks right up where 2 leaves off, you're still fighting Brutes, the weapons mostly work the same as in 2. there's not a graphics switch anymore. i don't remember any of the plot from this game.

halo 3 odst - john wick edition
in this game you don't play as master queef, instead you play thru a series of flash backs thru various characters until they die. the plot is irrelevant. nobody cares about it. instead of a series of beautiful outdoor environments like the three previous games, this takes place exclusively in fallujah, at night. it is incredibly boring and the only game i gave up on and uninstalled. i do not care about this game. it is also, ironically, single player *only*.

halo: reach
this takes place thematically before the first game, once more you are not chief keef but you still have power armor somehow. the plot is *slightly* enjoyable, but their idea of character development is 1) give characters a small amount of personality and dialogue 2) in the next mission they will sacrifice themselves for something incredibly dumb. this is the only halo game to have toilets (your character cannot poo poo). firefight is really fun

halo 4.0: with a vengeance
this game looks and plays like doom 3, the game from 2004. none of the sound design has been kept from previous game; everything sounds like an 80s synth laser. the graphics are technically "good" as there is a high poly count but textures are blurry and the art direction is abominable. half way through, new bad guys appear who are the cast of Tron, both in design and plot, i am not making this up, there is a master control program you have to kill. this is the only halo game you can look down and see your own feet.

halo 5 and halo infinite (presumably they're giving up on making more halo games after infinite?) are not included with this pack

this is worth it for halo 1 and 2 alone, and playing firefight with your internet friends is pretty great. downloads are managed from inside the program instead of thru steam, so i think you have to leave it open in the background to download? i'm not really sure i just go play some other campaign while i wait.

----------------

biosterous

froward posted:

this is the only halo game you can look down and see your own feet.

that's been in halo since halo 2 actually

disagree on some rankings but agree on the most import thing, that halo 4 is bad lol

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Trying to wrap up all the Yakuza games and I'm on Chapter 9 of the remaster of 3. The ones after Kiwami and Kiwami 2 were such a shock, even though I knew they were spruced up ports of PS3 games. Hoping to cruise through to 6 so I can get back to Dragon Engine era stuff. Then there's Like and Dragon and both Judgement games. So good and so much of it!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Trying to wrap up all the Yakuza games and I'm on Chapter 9 of the remaster of 3. The ones after Kiwami and Kiwami 2 were such a shock, even though I knew they were spruced up ports of PS3 games. Hoping to cruise through to 6 so I can get back to Dragon Engine era stuff. Then there's Like and Dragon and both Judgement games. So good and so much of it!

Yakuza 8 was announced today by the way.

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Mummy Napkin
I’ve just begun my yakuza journey and finished 0 a few days ago. idk why I never started playing them sooner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Oo2Q9kwGE

Farecoal

There he go
I played Zero, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2, but I'm just watching a streamer play 3 and 4 and then jumping in back at 5.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Zil posted:

Yakuza 8 was announced today by the way.

NANI?

Zurtilik

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

NANI?

No, Yakuza 8.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Binged through Superliminal yesterday. It was disappointing to see an innovative and interesting mechanic squandered on such poor writing and gameplay. The 'it was a dream' fakeout is such a tired cliche, and the 'oops you fell through the floor' fakeout gets obnoxious after the first 10 times, and it wasn't even clever the first time. By the end, you're not even solving puzzles; it's just walking down a corridor. I did enjoy the puzzles that weren't based on finding a path with the lights off. At the very least, it would have been fun to make more objects interactive. I can't help contrasting this with Gorogoa, which also had a cool, unusual mechanic but managed to do something really artistic with it.

Farecoal

There he go
Anyone here play Smite? It's a MOBA like League of Legends or DOTA but you play in a third person perspective instead of top down and you have to aim all your attacks and abilities. Also all the "heroes" are figures from real world mythologies (Zeus, Amaterasu, Anubis, etc). My friends and I have been playing it since 2016, we love to complain about it but it's still a go-to semi-casual game for us.

Mummy Napkin

Farecoal posted:

Anyone here play Smite? It's a MOBA like League of Legends or DOTA but you play in a third person perspective instead of top down and you have to aim all your attacks and abilities. Also all the "heroes" are figures from real world mythologies (Zeus, Amaterasu, Anubis, etc). My friends and I have been playing it since 2016, we love to complain about it but it's still a go-to semi-casual game for us.

is that the game that has the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from real world mythology?

kidding aside, I always thought Smite looked good, but as with most online games to me now, seems little intimidating getting into

Farecoal

There he go

Mummy Napkin posted:

is that the game that has the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from real world mythology?

kidding aside, I always thought Smite looked good, but as with most online games to me now, seems little intimidating getting into

Those are God skins (aka how they make the money)

It can be a little hard to get used to, yeah. Still better than other MOBAs imo. Even after playing Smite for this long I tried playing DOTA. 2 and was very confused

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Smite was pretty fun when I used to play with some online friends. We got really good at using Ares to pull everyone nearby in and then the water god dude to blast em with the super hard hitting aoe special, it ruled

I LOVED chang'e when she first came out. I was totally unstoppable, it was so broken. It ruled lol

Hel is fun too

Farecoal

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UEdavwVS-Y

:confused:

more falafel please

forums poster

Farecoal posted:

Those are God skins (aka how they make the money)

It can be a little hard to get used to, yeah. Still better than other MOBAs imo. Even after playing Smite for this long I tried playing DOTA. 2 and was very confused

dota is incredibly complicated

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

kalel

return of the obra dinn was really good. just a fun lil stylish puzzle/story game

Scaly Haylie

the feminine urge to play aerobiz supersonic with others

Finger Prince

I'm doing the 9S playthrough of nier automata. I really like how they paced it for that playthrough, and how it reveals a whole new layer of story that was only touched on in the first playthrough. It's funny though because the plot points it exposes just leaves you going "well that just raises further questions!". I'm enjoying it though, and I'm glad I decided to give it a go rather than do just the initial ending. Also glad I took a long enough break from it after finishing the initial ending.

froward

by Azathoth

biosterous posted:

that's been in halo since halo 2 actually

disagree on some rankings but agree on the most import thing, that halo 4 is bad lol

ive tried halo infinite unfortunately every time it crashes to desktop and sometimes my entire system

for fun i started https://nandgame.com/ <- this and got all the way to the last level. i learned a lot and it flipped a switch in my brain and installed TIS-100 which like most zachtronics games make one feel alternately very clever and very stupid.

i do enjoy games that trick me into learning.. while still being Fun

----------------

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Been playing Terroir, the wine-making sim. I'm not much of a wine person, but there are some vineyards near where I live, so it's interesting learning about the different varieties and processes. The learning curve wasn't difficult, in part because your options are very limited at the beginning. It's fun, and I get laugh when Piss Castle Winery wins an award. The exotic varieties don't seem to be worth the effort unless you're going for an achievement. Maybe if you were allowed to grow more than three varieties at a time. There's no real incentive to use the Chance or Circumstance cards except to make something happen. Considering they're supposed to be a reward for producing 5-star wines, the rewards are never worth the hassles or penalties. Also, I'm not sure whether they're supposed to be random, because I got the same cards in the same order on two play-throughs. I think it would work better as random events rather than optional ones. I also wish there were some in-game mechanic for getting drunk. "Oh no, you drove your tractor into the lake!"

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
finally started playing cyberpunk 2077. figured I would wait til they ironed out the issues that plagued it when it dropped and man this game rules.

definitely frustrating I can’t change my hairstyle or cyber ware etc looks in game but who really cares I guess. the game play and world building has been fantastic and very fun so far, and Keanu as a main character is way more enjoyable than I was expecting. feels like it fits.

good game im already looking forward to a second play through focused on netrunner type combat.

Finger Prince

Evil Bob posted:

finally started playing cyberpunk 2077. figured I would wait til they ironed out the issues that plagued it when it dropped and man this game rules.

definitely frustrating I can’t change my hairstyle or cyber ware etc looks in game but who really cares I guess. the game play and world building has been fantastic and very fun so far, and Keanu as a main character is way more enjoyable than I was expecting. feels like it fits.

good game im already looking forward to a second play through focused on netrunner type combat.

It was pretty good, but I really felt no desire to do a second play through. If there was a way to completely not engage with the main story at all, I might give it another go. No spoilers but I just don't like any of the possible endings, and the really poo poo one I got for my first play through felt really fitting for the way the story played out, to the point where I was like, this was not worth the effort. The gameplay is fun though, and the side quests are pretty good. I wish there was a little more life in the NPCs though. You don't get that skyrim feeling of an inhabited world, despite all the people wandering around.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I like to buy Assassin's Creed games when they've been out long enough to be $15 and I just got the Greek one. I'm having a lot of fun riding my horse on the highways and byways of Greece even if the combat and actual gameplay has never been that interesting to me outside of getting to have a ship and sail it around. I just like wandering around big open worlds and doing the labyrinth/tomb/pyramid puzzles.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

How Wonderful! posted:

I like to buy Assassin's Creed games when they've been out long enough to be $15 and I just got the Greek one. I'm having a lot of fun riding my horse on the highways and byways of Greece even if the combat and actual gameplay has never been that interesting to me outside of getting to have a ship and sail it around. I just like wandering around big open worlds and doing the labyrinth/tomb/pyramid puzzles.

The world in that game is so freaking big. I played like 10 hrs and went alright I'm good. It kinda felt like even though the world was gigantic and I'd only seen a tiny bit of it, I'd kinda seen what the game had to offer.

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jolo posted:

The world in that game is so freaking big. I played like 10 hrs and went alright I'm good. It kinda felt like even though the world was gigantic and I'd only seen a tiny bit of it, I'd kinda seen what the game had to offer.

Pretty much. I played for like 150 hours and maybe did half of the main game's content? It gets really repetitive and I think the Egyptian one was better, though both look pretty as heck and it's fun seeing recreations of ancient Greek cities.

I kinda want to play the Viking one.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I think the Egypt one had more fun puzzles but the Greek one has more fun ship stuff. I also like how vertical the world is, I love clambering up on stuff in videogames.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Evil Bob

Finger Prince posted:

I wish there was a little more life in the NPCs though. You don't get that skyrim feeling of an inhabited world, despite all the people wandering around.

yeah, there are a few things about this game that fell below the mark they set for themselves during the hype building phase. still it’s actually holding my attention for now which I can’t say for many games these days with my limited gaming time

Zurtilik

I feel like Cyberpunk 2077 post patches really hits you in that void that Lionshead left. A whole lot of promo and talking up and thus making their perfectly good game seem like poo poo.

Finger Prince

When I get my pc hooked up, I'll give it another go. I thought about playing it as a total heel that fully leans into Just Johnny's advances instead of rejecting him at every single opportunity.

Scaly Haylie

slowly but surely editing a majority of the default roster into custom wrestlers before i dive into wrestling empire now available on steam and switch

Farecoal

There he go

Scaly Haylie posted:

slowly but surely editing a majority of the default roster into custom wrestlers before i dive into wrestling empire now available on steam and switch

Lmao (at both your screenshot and the fact that there's now an official release you can buy for real money)

Bobby Deluxe

making custom wrestlers used to be extremely my poo poo, i have not had a decent wrasslin game with which to do it for years though

Finger Prince

I had a dream last night that I was playing a live action sorta Valkyria chronicles with a bunch of people. It was really fun. Like on your turn you'd get a movement action, then you could take a shot at whoever you could spot. I'm not sure how the hit calculation worked, but it did. You could get cover behind a barn or get prone behind a small rise or sand bags. I guess it was sort of like turn based paintball or airsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob

ok kinda see what finger prince is saying about replayability in cyberpunk after getting about halfway through.

As immersive as I find the game to be, it doesn’t feel nearly so open ended as skyrim or even GTA. The side missions don’t have a ton of life to them and the storyline feels pretty on rails. Especially with all the character development through Johnny’s commentary.

that being said I haven’t been able to put the game down whenever I have time to play it, enjoying the hell out of playing my OP pistol and revolvers build