Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Looks like solo XP is back just leveled some heli stuff super fast. But at the end of the game I got this message so there may be a cap on leveling XP? Loading a 2nd game and will report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yeah this has been a thing since the start at least, you can level but not unlimited amounts per day.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Wait do you mean actual unlocks or just levels? You could always grind up levels.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Went from 0 to 180 kills on the US attack helicopter over two games in solo, with all the unlocks and XP, but realized that playing against bots was one of the few things that could actually make this game more of a chore.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Looks like solo XP is back just leveled some heli stuff super fast. But at the end of the game I got this message so there may be a cap on leveling XP? Loading a 2nd game and will report back.

Ok so after further testing the XP you can gain each round of solo that goes towards leveling is capped. However, all kills count towards unlocks. So I am unlocking vehicle and weapons ungraded super fast. Hell yeah!

Take advantage before they nerf it again!!

Edit: to answer the last few posts before level XP was uncapped but unlock was capped at the first mastery point. Now level XP is capped per round, so you can get more xp towards leveling each round but the amount is capped. Weapon kill unlocks are uncapped. This is good because you can unlock everything on weapons and vehicles super fast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Ok so after further testing the XP you can gain each round of solo that goes towards leveling is capped. However, all kills count towards unlocks. So I am unlocking vehicle and weapons ungraded super fast. Hell yeah!

Take advantage before they nerf it again!!

Edit: to answer the last few posts before level XP was uncapped but unlock was capped at the first mastery point. Now level XP is capped per round, so you can get more xp towards leveling each round but the amount is capped. Weapon kill unlocks are uncapped. This is good because you can unlock everything on weapons and vehicles super fast.

Nice. I dont care about Xp, just the weapon unlocks. gonna jam on some solo later.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Nice. I dont care about Xp, just the weapon unlocks. gonna jam on some solo later.

Yeah same. You can't level that much faster in solo than regular games, but you can unlock 10x faster and a lot of the unlocks like heli stuff is a chore with tons of AA around. One solo round I can get 20-30 games worth of kills easily.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So that dumb solo level cap doesn't apply to shots counted for attachments and gear, right?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

DrBox posted:

Yep, I agree the bugs can ruin a play session. I got Kaleidoscope twice in a row and got the no respawn bug both times within 5 minutes of playing. I quit and played Halo until my friends came online and went back in to have a few epic games. Someone mentioned this already but keep an eye out as the game is loading and it'll tell you the map in the bottom right before you go in. If it's a map you don't want you can cancel the queue and retry. I'm avoiding Kaleidoscope until the bug is fixed.

I've had that bug happen on every map atleast twice except Manifest. I keep an eye out for maps I don't want when playing Breakthrough, problem is that eliminates half the maps.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Early days for Portal but someone made a wingsuit training mode already. Janky as hell so it fits right in! I hope they keep expanding functionality in the portal scripting.
https://youtu.be/oVMQ2hDSgO4

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Combat Pretzel posted:

So that dumb solo level cap doesn't apply to shots counted for attachments and gear, right?

Not yet. I was just in a goon squad for a few hours farming kills for that stuff. Worked like a champ. Also, I don't think there's a level cap but you definitely don't earn as much XP primarily because you don't earn ribbons in that mode.

I suspect they'll nerf the poo poo out of this.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

DrBox posted:

Early days for Portal but someone made a wingsuit training mode already. Janky as hell so it fits right in! I hope they keep expanding functionality in the portal scripting.
https://youtu.be/oVMQ2hDSgO4

Haha that's pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing other weird Portal stuff.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm starting to believe that the Nightbird machine gun is loving useless, because the tank roof-top and the Weirdosprey/Superhind ones are loving useless, too.
the nightbird first primary machine gun is really good vs other aircraft but seemingly terrible against anything else

the nightbird second primary is good vs infantry and light vehicles but terrible vs aircraft b/c it's so hard to hit them

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The vehicle game play feels actually pretty polished to me.

Infantry is both kinda unpolished and rather 'lifespan measured in seconds.' afaict if you want to have fun in this you 1000% want to not be playing solo. Even a couple so-so team mates would be a huge improvement over just solo chucking yourself into the meat grinder.

also the 128 players thing means that as a solo you have far less impact than in smaller player count modes cuz a lot more of them time a point is capped cuz of a 30+ players zerging a point and there's basically nothing you're going to do to conceivably stop that. Even 64 players was a lot better about keeping the fights on a given point away from ever being 0% fights to take.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 20, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Collapsing Farts posted:

As an avid Planetside player I can tell you that a lot of people are going to be turned off by the scale of this game. As a solo player your fate is to die a lot, constantly, in massive shooters like these. You can do well as a camper or vehicle operator solo… But if you like to push the action as infantry you’re going to be dying a lot, no matter the map-setup. This is going to be more frustrating than fun for a lot of folks.

In larger shooters like these, the fun comes from being in a squad/squads and manipulating the battlefield with your teamplay. A good squad will have spawn beacons and medics and will be hard as hell to get rid of and can turn the tide of engagements against pubbies. It’s like playing a whole different game.

A solo player might get some kill streaks off, but will probably mostly feel like they aren’t able to contribute meaningfully to most engagements.

So my recommendation is; get the game if you intend to play it with others. Don’t get it if you are solo, unless you’re a sniper/camper/vehicle enthusiast, whick can still feel good solo.

What sort of nerd plays multiplayer games by themselves :confused:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Some tips from mama duck to my future ducklings. The anti personnel rockets are pretty good they're identical on both helis. The Anti Vehicle on the big girl heli are technically worse at infantry but tbh it's not by enough to bother with the anti man rockets. The 30 mm on the Russian helicopter is better than both.

The nightbird miniguns are very bad at anything besides chopper ambushing the 20mms are merely so so but probably more useful than the miniguns.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

What sort of nerd plays multiplayer games by themselves :confused:

:colbert:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
How many maps are there supposed to be? I've played for 10 hours now and I've been doing the same 3 ones over and over again. And none of them are very good.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I suspect they'll nerf the poo poo out of this.
Interesting, it seems like it won't unlock things from solo mode? So I need to play online?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Aphex- posted:

How many maps are there supposed to be? I've played for 10 hours now and I've been doing the same 3 ones over and over again. And none of them are very good.

Like ten I think? Don't worry though none of them are very good

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raine posted:

hey reddit says solo progression is back for attachments and vehicle upgrades

Does that mean in the portal matches?

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Portal XP is still off, as is progression. AOW solo there is weapon and vehicle progression but you won't get any XP from killing AI - but spotting them gets like 5 xp so yay for that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keshik posted:

Portal XP is still off, as is progression. AOW solo there is weapon and vehicle progression but you won't get any XP from killing AI - but spotting them gets like 5 xp so yay for that.

Hmm...you could just create a huge AI farm and just spot and use intel ribbons for major XP or will that not generate too?

But I'll have to give it a try later for the weapon unlocks.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hmm...you could just create a huge AI farm and just spot and use intel ribbons for major XP or will that not generate too?

XP is nerfed but kill/assist progress for unlocks is active

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

No, it's pretty much capped. It seems like you can play with normal XP in solo for like 20-30k every 24 hours and after that it tells you that the cap has been reached and like only a 10th of your actions count towards your XP. No ribbons.

At least kills count now for attachments etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now I've supposedly unlocked high power ammo on the LCMG via Mastery 4 and it's also greyed out. What the poo poo?

--edit: Oooooh, ok. Nevermind.
--edit: Wait, no I don't get it. In the badges tab, there's only T5->T1? :confused:

--edit: Nope, I need Mastery 4, but I have 5, and the necessary kills. It's greyed out. Why even? I get other gear just fine.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 20, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

You might need to restart the game. I've noticed sometimes getting unlocks when I first start the game

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Restarting did fix the greyed out unlocks for me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

There is kind of a genuinely good experience under all the :dice: but it's so hard to come by. Just had a Breakaway as attackers and we won the map, though it was close and points were traded several times. The team generally was attempting coordination. There weren't players just suiciding their own vehicles, and smart vehicles are so necessary to push both A and C. Snipers seemed to be actually getting kills on enemy snipers judging by how I was seeing them picked off, and air had good pilots, and transpo weren't suiciding either; pilot was coming in, dropping off troops and when they got hit, pulling out to heal. Team chat was popping off with attempts at coordination, and I was lucky to have a squad (of randos) that was pinging and working together somewhat with revives and ammo supplies and call-ins.

All in all a really good experience, but I've put 11 hours into this game so far and it was the first time that I had a legit good match. The rest have just been a mix of sometimes fun experiences peppered through so much frustration and jank.

It actually reminds me of BFV a lot in the sense that having a really good match was noteworthy and memorable for how rare it was, whereas it was a far more common occurrence in BF4/1.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that it took a confluence of a very specific set of circumstances (that likely won't be repeated for a long time) to make the experience legit good and fun for an entire map where I could overlook the weird hitreg and jank or the fact that everybody ran identical kits. I didn't encounter any showstopping bugs or even invisible poo poo while driving the hovercraft which is super common, most of the players seemed to know what they were doing, the map is one of the better maps and has better performance, didn't hit any lag or the server making GBS threads itself, etc. Basically, a miracle.

I think the only guns anybody is using anymore is the PP and the SVK, they're certainly the only two I use. SVK seems borderline OP with that 2 shot kill if you have good aim. Actually changed scopes for different engagement ranges (red dot to 4x) quite a lot with the SVK. In fact, I think it's the only gun where I actually considered the trade-offs of scope-in time. With the PP I'm only running red dot since it's a closer engagement typically, and every other gun has such random bloom so why would you ever pick a scope that's slow.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 21, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I think the only guns anybody is using anymore is the PP and the SVK, they're certainly the only two I use. SVK seems borderline OP with that 2 shot kill if you have good aim. Actually changed scopes for different engagement ranges (red dot to 4x) quite a lot with the SVK. In fact, I think it's the only gun where I actually considered the trade-offs of scope-in time. With the PP I'm only running red dot since it's a closer engagement typically, and every other gun has such random bloom so why would you ever pick a scope that's slow.

Yeah ADS time is everything for both of those guns

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I haven't played a Battlefield game since #4 and I'm finding I need some practice with Helicopters. What control style do all y'all use because I am not sure if default is working for me

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Fists Up posted:

I haven't played a Battlefield game since #4 and I'm finding I need some practice with Helicopters. What control style do all y'all use because I am not sure if default is working for me

Turn off Helicopter Control Assist. Personally I run default but use Control and Space Bar to pitch down and up

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I switched yaw and roll so yaw is on the mouse and that's about it, I havn't flown a ton though and flying feels quite a bit different in this than it did in 4 regardless.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

if you're in solo mode by yourself trying to unlock vehicle upgrades, DO NOT LET AI INTO YOUR GODDAMN VEHICLE

not only do they drive in a straight line towards 50 enemies with rocket launchers and get you killed, they also seem to bug out the aiming for some reason

like it stops being possible to turn and/or fire in stuttering increments

it's extremely annoying so just fuckin drive as fast as you can if friendly infantry start coming towards you

also, the 60mm AA flak launcher might be the best weapon pod in the game. insane reload speed and 2 shots people in a relatively large AOE

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Raine posted:

if you're in solo mode by yourself trying to unlock vehicle upgrades, DO NOT LET AI INTO YOUR GODDAMN VEHICLE

Oh no definitely do do this. They're relatively competent shots and you can switch with any if them on the fly.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Just ran into a level 57 player :stare:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Sedisp posted:

Oh no definitely do do this. They're relatively competent shots and you can switch with any if them on the fly.

they have stormtrooper aim and can't kill poo poo with anything other than explosive weapons like the nade launcher, and even then it's rare

the second you switch seats the ai driver fucks you over

once a single ai gets inside your vehicle they are staying there till the vehicle is destroyed, you can't get rid of those fucks even if you wanted to

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tenchrono posted:

The PP-29 is absolute horseshit.

I don't like it when I get the jump on some guy with my LMG and start shooting him, most/all bullets connecting, and he turns around and kills me in like 0.5 seconds with the PP-29.

My aim isn't great, but I'm pretty sure at least part of the issue is down to weird hit detection or unbalanced guns, since I never felt this way in BF5 (where things would usually feel more or less fair and guns would do what I expect).

Drint Blasters posted:

Can't even install the game, it simply refuses to appear in the origin game library. Redeem code was accepted but nothing is there. Origin knows I have it cause I can look at the achiement list on my profile. So stupid.
See if I can get a refund from amazon

I had a horrible time getting things working. Had to use EAPlay for some reason.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

game is trash and lol @ so many design/balance decisions

that said it's pretty fun

This is my opinion in a nutshell, lol. Game is really hosed up, but it's still fun to play with other people (since there isn't really anything else quite like BF).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 21, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Starting to get annoyed by the drone bomb not doing damage. :mad:

Hot Diggity! posted:

Just ran into a level 57 player :stare:

Some dude was just haranguing a level 76 in a game I was in, calling him a loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elerion posted:

:laffo: at goons pretending Steam/Metacritic scores are an accurate reflection of a high profile game’s quality. Posters on a dead forum are supposed to not be new to how the internet works.

What's the point you are trying to make here? Critic scores low, game also kinda poo poo for a mainline entry into battlefield. Will they fix it? Probably. Does that excuse releasing it in this state? No not really.