Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

maybe if you grow up on the North Shore of Chicago or something? Every adult in my life said "go to community college and live at home and then go get a bachelor's if it still seems like a good idea". So, that was what i did because I was a young impressionable kid.

I think I would have been alarmed to take on a ton of student debt even if goaded, though. I didn't get a credit card until I was like 24.

e: I take that back, I would have taken on the debt but then I would have discharged it through bankruptcy right before the law changed. At the time the law changed my wife and I had a combined total of ~70K debt on my 27k gross income, and we debated discharging with bankruptcy but naively thought our credit scores might matter within the next seven years. They didn't, and our lives would only be better and easier now if we had both declared bankruptcy immediately after I graduated college when we had no real income, all my student debt was locked in, and so was ~2/3s of my wifes.

As it was we graduated with ~120k debt in ~2005. I think we still owe like 7k on one of the longest and lowest interest loans, and we only dug ourselves out to that extent on top of taking on a mortgage with a decent down payment because of some random good luck in how I navigated the decision points in my career tree.

The thing about student debt is that bankruptcy doesn't lift your obligation. Moving to the other side of the planet doesn't even do that, which was what I briefly entertained before deciding against the whole thing altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

i am harry posted:

“We couldn’t see those documents because Hertz made them confidential. Confidential means secret.”

theres a "or show them here" in there as well.

I got the impression the dude had them and hertz they just made it unavailable for access in general, unless you have a copy.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

wynott dunn posted:

they’re doing 35 year mortgages now?

low ratio (20% down) but yeah

most canadians go for 25 unless they can afford larger down payments for longer term. as a bonus, lower down payment = lower rates so they mostly go for 25 for that reason too

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Casey Finnigan posted:

to stop the shortages governments would need to take action but taking action would require seriously acknowledging the shortages. Best thing to do is nothing obviously

Also government action would disturb the market. Can't be having that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

wynott dunn posted:

they’re doing 35 year mortgages now?

some lenders will do 40 year mortgages and I think there was a covid-specific "relief" program to modify out to 40 years

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Animal-Mother posted:

Is Groverhaus in Georgia?

OH, iirc.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I like that there are so many things this could reference, still oooooooooof

https://twitter.com/Dictionarycom/status/1470771245239132166

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

just going to buy this house that I'll still be paying off long after "retirement" and probably until I'm dead

this definitely isn't rent or anything no way

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

some lenders will do 40 year mortgages and I think there was a covid-specific "relief" program to modify out to 40 years

aahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gently caress it knock my loan out to a 100 years - all these silicon valley guys seem to think we'll be good for it and we trust them to be the ultimate authority when it comes to everything else nowadays.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I wonder how popular a policy like "minha casa, minha vida" (my home, my life) here in Brazil would go in the USA/Canada given their housing markets

basically the federal government used its financial-services-to-the-public corporation (Caixa) to finance loans towards home ownership

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

suck my dinctionary!!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

i am harry posted:

aahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

bankrate tells me that this is a thing and I don't want to believe it:

quote:

Interest-only loan – Some lenders might allow you to take out a 40-year mortgage that requires only interest payments during the first 10 years. Afterward, the loan effectively becomes a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage. The benefit is even smaller monthly payments upfront — but the trade-off is risky, because you build no home equity within the first decade (unless your home climbs in value). What’s more, you run the risk of default by not chipping off any of the loan principal for the first 10 years, and the risk of needing to pay a higher interest rate after 10 years.

pay the bank rent for ten years and they'll allow you to eventually have an actual mortgage with them

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I wonder how popular a policy like "minha casa, minha vida" (my home, my life) here in Brazil would go in the USA/Canada given their housing markets

basically the federal government used its financial-services-to-the-public corporation (Caixa) to finance loans towards home ownership

that would assume the US government had any gumption to empower or better the lives of its citizens, OP.

They don't and its actively frowned upon by the elite sooo

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

does mr applebee know that you can't eat this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rutibex posted:

a real estate agent isn't performing useful labor. they are doing rituals to preserve the legitimacy of capitalism, just like a lawyer or a celebrity

doesn't a real estate agent have to know all about real estate laws/regulations etc.?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

that would assume the US government had any gumption to empower or better the lives of its citizens, OP.

the basic principle of American political thought in summarized in the right-wing propaganda pamphlet "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

"no because americans are loving worthless pieces of poo poo and deserve nothing." -the government of the united states

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
USDA Rural Development loans can be stretched to 38 years. So if you live in a county considered rural, that's always an option.

I'll probably apply for a RD loan after I buy land. Easier to get a mortgage to build if you already own the land outright, or at least I've been told.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

SKULL.GIF posted:

crosspost from biosphere collapse

Oil spill in Santa Barbara waters. Been going for the 3rd day. Zero media coverage, only individuals and scientists reporting via social media:

https://twitter.com/VPS_Reports/status/1470327722287063040

yeah well I mean it's off of *Coal Oil* point, so... what did you expect?
:smug:

:smith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

The car is America and the dog is Biden.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

full headline doesn't fit, it also mentions he's owned a business in an underserved area for three years

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

just going to buy this house that I'll still be paying off long after "retirement" and probably until I'm dead

yeah but at least you can knock holes in the walls without getting evicted

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Orange Devil posted:

government action

Can't be having that.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Crunchy Black posted:

The US government created Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to play a role somewhat like this, but it hasn't worked out in the same way over the various decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Mac

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Mae

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

actionjackson posted:

doesn't a real estate agent have to know all about real estate laws/regulations etc.?

in a more sane system, someone who can organize and show multiple properties for you as a potential home buyer, along with knowing about the ancillary details of the areas, etc, is something that is a value add as it saves you, the buyer, time and effort.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i am harry posted:

The thing about student debt is that bankruptcy doesn't lift your obligation. Moving to the other side of the planet doesn't even do that, which was what I briefly entertained before deciding against the whole thing altogether.

my uncle has never repaid his student debt from decades ago (he's on disability due to mental illness), he's declared bankruptcy but also never answers his phone lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

bankrate tells me that this is a thing and I don't want to believe it:

pay the bank rent for ten years and they'll allow you to eventually have an actual mortgage with them

quote:

(unless your home climbs in value)

Here's the part where people talk themselves into this being a good idea.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Eric Cantonese posted:

The US government created Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to play a role somewhat like this, but it hasn't worked out in the same way over the various decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Mac

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Mae

The US government creating a private corporation to carry out basic functions is um, not the same as the government providing services.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Animal-Mother posted:

Is Groverhaus in Georgia?

Virginia in the great dismal swamp region

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

actionjackson posted:

you'd think so, but largely no. they might have a handle on the basics but for anything more complex than than the real estate equivalent of "walk into store and buy thing" you need to go to an actual real estate attorney.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

actionjackson posted:

depends on whether you're talking about a hypothetical country/state with laws and regulations designed with the intent to protect the interests of everyone, that actually enforces them evenly rather than selectively... or if you mean reality

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao shitco tech

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Crunchy Black posted:

The US government creating a private corporation to carry out basic functions is um, not the same as the government providing services.

Yes. I agree. I said those entities were created by the government to play a similar role as what the poster mentioned for Brazil, that it has not worked out in the same way as just the government stepping in and just providing services.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

my mortgage is functionally the same as rent but it’s also less than half what I was paying for my last apartment even though this place is almost double the size so :shrug:

I got extremely lucky being able to do this at all, and it’s hosed up to think of a beloved relative’s death as ‘lucky’, but my share of the life insurance was just enough for down payment and closing costs, and paying rent directly to the bank instead of to a landlord is going to save me tens of thousands of dollars in the long run.

it’s still a predatory trap option with more downsides than upsides, but housing is so hosed up in the US that it manages to be the least bad option available. Unless you’re wealthy, of course - the rich can just buy houses outright and not have to deal with any of this poo poo, lucky them!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Chad Sexington posted:

The car is America and the dog is Biden.

lmfao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yes. I agree. I said those entities were created by the government to play a similar role as what the poster mentioned for Brazil, that it has not worked out in the same way as just the government stepping in and just providing services.

Understood, but I think we all have a reasonable understanding, in here, that these entities exist outside of reality and money on the order of the US Military. Its a fake.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

zetamind2000 posted:

Virginia in the great dismal swamp region

The famous picture of him standing in the mud is where he realizes the implications of that. IIRC that's the only reason he was able to afford, or maybe the reason he chose that particular piece of property is because he was getting such a deal and he would make out bigly on the back end. Swamp land is generally priced accordingly.