Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That whole plot was a tweeeest ending thing. They were loyal to Horus the whole time, a few people in there were actual loyalists that were purged. The whole thing relied on ambiguity about their loyalty and the reader assuming that any native terran unit would be loyal to the Emperor so Thorpe just doesn't specify at any point. Which is something that gives the twist away if you're paying attention/are familiar with those kind of tropes because it gets really weird how they never once mention what their cause is or who they're loyal to until they set off a load of bombs and unfurl the Warmaster's banner, which should have been a pretty clear resolution to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should never have done the heresy as a book series. Ah well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Adabba Free Corp was just one of four plots in The First Wall and I didn't enjoy it at first because the book kept time jumping back to them during bigger more present moments in the novel. I can forgive it for being a kind of go nowhere twist ending plot, because it literally made me stop reading with my mouth agape for a moment and question everything I had read about them up to that point.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/15/incoming-new-tales-of-the-astra-militarum

New Krieg novel from the Dead Men Walking author. Also a Catachan jungle fighters novel!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

I dunno, he wrote The First Wall and that was alright.

The First Wall was the worst Siege of Terra book and Gav Thorpe is bad.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

AndyElusive posted:

The Adabba Free Corp was just one of four plots in The First Wall and I didn't enjoy it at first because the book kept time jumping back to them during bigger more present moments in the novel. I can forgive it for being a kind of go nowhere twist ending plot, because it literally made me stop reading with my mouth agape for a moment and question everything I had read about them up to that point.

I kind of liked it, because it explained how the loyalists were in such a bad shape during the siege. They tried to have a massive support army coming to their aid, but they didn't realise that old betrayals and enmity would be exploited by horus, and what should have been the equivalent of theoden's army coming over the ridge was instead destroyed during its muster when it was most vulnerable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

Gav Thorpe is a Bad Writer.
He does okay Eldar stuff where everyone betrays everyone else and their motivations aren't at all clear, but aiming for "I have no idea WTF is going on" is easymode warhams writing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The crazy wide gap in skill between people like Wraight, ADB and Farrer, and the people like Thorpe, is just insane to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Deptfordx posted:

The First Wall was the worst Siege of Terra book and Gav Thorpe is bad.

The First Wall was the best Siege of Terra book after Saturnine imo. The Adabba Free Corp thing was probably my favourite plot point in the entire Siege series for me, and easily more memorable than the rest.

The Solar War was also quite good - less for space battles and more for the portrayals of your everyday yokels just trying to survive the space battles.

Saturnine is Saturnine.

Warhawk was okay to good but I remember little about it. Mortis was dreadful.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Ardent Communist posted:

I kind of liked it, because it explained how the loyalists were in such a bad shape during the siege. They tried to have a massive support army coming to their aid, but they didn't realise that old betrayals and enmity would be exploited by horus, and what should have been the equivalent of theoden's army coming over the ridge was instead destroyed during its muster when it was most vulnerable.

I have to agree, I actually really enjoyed that entire plotline, especially because it was actually telegraphed pretty early on, with Zenobi and some of the other soldiers talking about how their lives had changed for the worst, after Unification, and how their families used to have far more power before the Emperor defeated them and had them all working to fuel the Great Crusade. I never felt that the twist was all that surprising, personally. I think we often assume that most people revere the Emperor, but I think the average Terran probably feared him more than anything else. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard for Horus to swoop in and tempt people into blaming the Big E for a lot of their woes, and he wouldn't necessarily be wrong - he just also wouldn't be being truthful about all the bad poo poo he's bringing to Terra with him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Biplane posted:

Gav Thorpe is a Bad Writer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

euphronius posted:

They should never have done the heresy as a book series. Ah well.

They should have had a clear plan and timeline instead of 40 books of filler to stretch things out

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Mortis was dreadful.

I had spent quite a while not following warhammer, but this summer when I realized Penitent was finally out, I read it and Saturnine back to back

because both of these were very good, i got on a Warhammer high and decided to purchase Mortis

it was...a mistake

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Path of the Elder is okay, Gav Thorpe is okay maybe?

Counterpoint: Path of the Dark Eldar is so much better. (Go Andy)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

The crazy wide gap in skill between people like Wraight, ADB and Farrer, and the people like Thorpe, is just insane to me.

Nah the vast majority of great writers have zero interest in writing IP fiction. The fact that we have so many great writers writing for BL is what is insane.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the worst part about the first wall was how the big traitor plan to capture the spaceport was “attack it wrong, on purpose, because our enemy thinks we’re smart so if we act stupid it will defeat him.”

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the worst part about the first wall was how the big traitor plan to capture the spaceport was “attack it wrong, on purpose, because our enemy thinks we’re smart so if we act stupid it will defeat him.”

And it did lol

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Biplane posted:

And it did lol

The Sherlock Holmes issue. The era defining battle of humanity, enacted by superhuman tacticians and generals, being written by men who are...very much not those things.

Writing genius without being geniuses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You almost never see well planned and executed battle strategies in military science fiction or fantasy because that might suck out the tension that you can build by pulling a dramatic twist out of your rear end.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I dunno, it makes a small amount of sense that whereas everyone knows how to fight sieges, and presumably how to defend from them, fighting someone who was trained wrong, as a joke, would be able to make some moves they just wouldn't see coming.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ardent Communist posted:

I dunno, it makes a small amount of sense that whereas everyone knows how to fight sieges, and presumably how to defend from them, fighting someone who was trained wrong, as a joke, would be able to make some moves they just wouldn't see coming.

Imagine I posted that old US military joke here.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Imagine I posted that old US military joke here.

You did.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It also reminds me of some quote from ages ago regarding fighting games where professionals can find it difficult to go up against an amateur because they'll do unpredictable things that a professional wouldn't think to attempt and can't predict to counter.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
or the bit from the Gilligans Island movie where the the Harlem Globetrotters are going up against some robots for ownership of the island. The robots were easily winning until the professor suggested they're programed to play basketball but will have no counter to an unorthodox playstyle.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chemtrailologist posted:

or the bit from the Gilligans Island movie where the the Harlem Globetrotters are going up against some robots for ownership of the island. The robots were easily winning until the professor suggested they're programed to play basketball but will have no counter to an unorthodox playstyle.

God drat Men of Iron

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vadoc posted:

It also reminds me of some quote from ages ago regarding fighting games where professionals can find it difficult to go up against an amateur because they'll do unpredictable things that a professional wouldn't think to attempt and can't predict to counter.

People used to invite me to poker games in college and I would always try to decline because I don't like playing poker, but they would insist and I would show up and every single time somebody would end up yelling at me because I had no idea what I was doing and I would end up winning a hand that I shouldn't have because I would pretty much just be picking an action at random any time it was my turn.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I spent a night annoying people by always coming second and getting a share of the pot when playing Poker. I had no idea what I was doing to the point that I even forgot to look at my cards one hand, and I was hyper-caffinated so I was basically a cartoon squirrel joke.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

D-Pad posted:

Nah the vast majority of great writers have zero interest in writing IP fiction. The fact that we have so many great writers writing for BL is what is insane.

Yeah, to be fair it is pretty cool that BL has even a single book worth reading, let alone how many genuinely good ones there are. When you compare it to other tie -n fiction, BL is pretty much highest tier.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
For sure the miracle of BL is that we have writers like ADB, Brooks, DA participating. Like, by all rights it should be nothing but Gav Thorps and Nick Kymes.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Lawdog69 posted:

Nick Kymes.

Hmm I wanted to get Volpone Glory. Should I skip it based on track record? Haven't read anything from him

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Hmm I wanted to get Volpone Glory. Should I skip it based on track record? Haven't read anything from him

Keep it that way.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Despite being terribad authors Kyme and Thorpe are supposed to be the creative directors of BL fiction? I recall reading that in one of the end-blurbs.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If Nick Kyme isn't the worst BL author. Then by God it's not for lack of trying. Avoid.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Now I'm starting to develop bile fascination and want to see for myself. Is it funny-bad or just dry nonsense

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that Adrian Tchaikovsky is going to write a book for Black Library, he's a legit sci-fi author that in no way needs to write corporate fiction.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Now I'm starting to develop bile fascination and want to see for myself. Is it funny-bad or just dry nonsense

It's just plain bad. Not dry really, just extremely bad prose, pacing, storytelling... all the things you want to be good, or at least entertaining.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm still finding it hard to believe that Adrian Tchaikovsky is going to write a book for Black Library, he's a legit sci-fi author that in no way needs to write corporate fiction.

Jean Paul Gaultier was, and still is, a megastar in his own right but he still did Eurotrash.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Arc Hammer posted:

You almost never see well planned and executed battle strategies in military science fiction or fantasy because that might suck out the tension that you can build by pulling a dramatic twist out of your rear end.

Part of the issue is the era of warfare that 40k riffs from (WW1 to WW2).

The big winning strategies from those periods were either manoeuvre (like the North Africa campaigns or the Eastern front), surprise (either by hitting at a week point like the Ardennes or deception like D Day), or sheer bloody attrition (the trench warfare of WW1 or a lot of the later Eastern front).

A seige in this case is a logistical attrition fest with not much that can be done with flaire or brilliance on the ground. All if the brilliance is in the planning.

Plus a massive attritional slugfest only broken by things so stupid a superhuman genius would just dismiss it out of hand is right on the themes of 40k and the end of the Heresy.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Apparently the big draw is the reliable and serious paycheck you are pretty much promised by writing licensed fiction. It's why a lot of authors happily churned out a dozen Star Wars or Star Trek books: The audience is already there, they have money, and they'll give you some too just for showing up and not sucking completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tbh I think Tchaikovsky might just be doing it because he's a british nerd who likes Warhammer

https://twitter.com/aptshadow/status/1471250729813917702?s=20