Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I should read the epilogue light novel, is it out in English and digitally.

https://www.viz.com/read/novel/bleach-can-t-fear-your-own-world-volume-1/product/6339/digital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

I don't think any reasonable person could doubt this when looking at the fullbringer arc especially.

Yeah, the way that the entire arc just derails when all the most popular-in-the-polls shinigami captains show up and kill everyone screams editorial intervention.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, the way that the entire arc just derails when all the most popular-in-the-polls shinigami captains show up and kill everyone screams editorial intervention.

Not just that, but the rapid turn to "actually we're all secretly evil". And he clearly wanted to do more with at least Riruka.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

Not just that, but the rapid turn to "actually we're all secretly evil". And he clearly wanted to do more with at least Riruka.

The villain-turn was probably planned all along. I mean, book guy’s memory powers are foreshadowed from the moment he turns up, but yeah the upending of the plot and the sudden dropping of plot threads and characters was out of nowhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ginjo gives evil looks from pretty early on. The turn was definitely intended, but I feel like there was meant to be more to it as by the time the turn happens Ginjo still hasn't really been developed much and they pretty quickly run through his backstory and beef with Soul Society.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I meant more how rapid it was than that it happened at all, yeah. Ginjo is also fairly prominent in Can't Fear Your Own World, and comes across as significantly stronger than he appears to be in the manga, being called also a soul king candidate with Ichigo and one of the new characters. Since it apparently had pretty heavy input from Kubo, I take that as him also having wanted to do more with Ginjo and crew.

Also for the record Ginjo, Giriko, and Tsukishima are the only ones who actually full on died.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Fullbringer arc is the only stretch of Bleach I would simply write off as 'bad'. It started off weak by going straight from Ichigo defeating Aizen to Ichigo working part time for some milf with a ramen shop, focusing entirely on an Ichigo who is just living his life without really showing concern about stuff. Considering how popular the side characters are, I think it needed to show a bit of the post-Aizen fallout before we hung out with Ichigo as a part time employee. The hard cut without explanation could have worked if Ichigo felt lost and missed everyone and like the reader had no idea what happened after, but that would make for a different arc.

By the time the arc starts to show what it's going for, it starts falling apart by going into speedrun mode and introducing the Soul Society captains back in the mix. The pacing is just awful, and the fullbringers mostly suck. The only designs I liked were Ginjo and Riruka, and the only interesting ability was Tsukishima. Fullbringers are also inconsistent with the rest of Bleach, and I think that's because they weren't fully developed. Orihime is never referred to as a fullbringer despite her powers having the hallmarks of it, which seems too big of an oversight to not be a thing that's on purpose. My guess is the original purpose of the arc was to set up the depths of Soul Society's corruption being based on the Soul King and there may even have been an intent to link to or introduce Ywach in some way.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's really a shame the Fullbringer arc wasn't popular and ended up turning into yet another shinigami-fest because the setup was really good! It successfully deescalated the power creep which could have made Ichigo's friends relevant again, and also introduced interesting new characters with unique powers that weren't just "I can swing a sword even harder!!!" Very much an early Chapter Black vibe when the territory users showed up. Ichigo navigating a normal life while being deeply unsatisfied about his loss of power was interesting. Ishida and Karin working behind his back to take care of hollows in his stead was interesting, particularly for Karin!

Who knows where Kubo was ultimately going to take the arc before he had to wrap it up quickly and reintroduce the popular shinigami characters, but it's such a loving waste that he dropped the stakes to a level where Ichigo's friends and family outside Isshin could be relevant again, and they're all still completely worthless.

chumbler posted:

Also for the record Ginjo, Giriko, and Tsukishima are the only ones who actually full on died.

The arc is so rushed by the end that it just kinda brushes over that Ichigo for the first time flat out kills another human being in Ginjou. Normally a shounen protag's first kill is a big deal narratively, but it's barely even dwelled on except for Ichigo showing up in Yamamoto's office the next day to ask for the body back so he can be buried.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fullbringer arc was what many people said they wanted- part time ghost busting in karakura. but then no one liked it, so out came the popular characters again.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What there was literally 0 ghost hunting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ichigo had supernatural adventures after school. it didn't need to be a complete retread of the first 20 chapters.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Introduction of big tiddy possible step mom/ part time job boss that was so loving lenient on him and went no where. What the gently caress was up with that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, ichigo had to fill his time somehow, so why not a part time job? and if a part time job, why not one with a big titty milf? it amuses me to overthink bleach but some parts are pretty simple.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jiro posted:

Introduction of big tiddy possible step mom/ part time job boss that was so loving lenient on him and went no where. What the gently caress was up with that?

I think her purpose was supposed to be showing that Ichigo was being more affected by the loss of not just his shinigami powers but being able to see ghosts/shinigami at all than he let on, and she was kind of helping him distance from the others. It turns out after all he couldn't just go back to not being able to see ghosts and all that very easily. The problem is it didn't spend enough time building up that part of it and what it had been like for him in the unclear amount of time between arcs (like 5 chapters tops would've been enough, probably) before launching into the whole Tsukishima thing. I think it was supposed to be at least like a finishing high school to starting college time span.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Remember Super Captain Hikifune who did Fat Gum's shtick before Fat Gum

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ichigo had supernatural adventures after school. it didn't need to be a complete retread of the first 20 chapters.

Instead it was a retread of him getting his powers back the first time. Sitting in some hideout doing some trials with Ginjo and friends instead of Urahara.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

chumbler posted:

I think her purpose was supposed to be showing that Ichigo was being more affected by the loss of not just his shinigami powers but being able to see ghosts/shinigami at all than he let on, and she was kind of helping him distance from the others. It turns out after all he couldn't just go back to not being able to see ghosts and all that very easily.

Yeah, Ichigo is introduced in the series via a poem where he's flat out begging to be granted the power to protect others: not just his loved ones, but everybody. He's actually kind of a tsundere in early bleach towards Rukia, where he acts like taking up her power is a burden and he's only fighting out of obligation, but at every turn when anybody is actually in trouble he drops this attitude and tries to save them, even if it's a random ghost or a loving bird Chad is carrying around.

So for him to lose those powers and then try to convince himself that actually a normal life is what he always wanted and this is good actually is an interesting direction to take him. Particularly since it's clear as day he's unsatisfied being a normal human and thus it makes sense how he's tempted to join the fullbringers on the promise of getting some manner of powers again, even though they're clearly shady as hell.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell, it was the fourth time Ichigo trained his powers with someone helping him out in an isolated area as people watched. If the Fullbringer Arc had actually done something other than have Tsukishima going around friend fictioning people as Ginjo evilly laughs to himself from the shadows before the turn happens no one would be making GBS threads on the entirety of it and would just be saying the latter part sucked.

Jiro posted:

I don't think Kubo needs reasons to have big titties in his manga, he just does it and god bless him for it.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

By the time the arc starts to show what it's going for, it starts falling apart by going into speedrun mode and introducing the Soul Society captains back in the mix. The pacing is just awful, and the fullbringers mostly suck. The only designs I liked were Ginjo and Riruka, and the only interesting ability was Tsukishima.

Fwiw I kinda like Tsukishima. Aside from Riruka who is actually a fun character, he's the only Fullbringer that is actually prominent throughout the entire arc without having some stupid horseshit happening. Mind you his power is kind of silly sometimes, but he's got more presence than a lot of Bleach antagonists who aren't named Aizen or Byakuya do and I guess that counts for something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tsukishima's power was incoherent nonsense and that sort of thing is why i love bleach

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The first like 3 chapters of the Fullbringer arc were sick tbh.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tsukishima's power was incoherent nonsense and that sort of thing is why i love bleach

I love that his power doesn't stop at people and he can use it on inanimate objects like a building.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

well, ichigo had to fill his time somehow, so why not a part time job? and if a part time job, why not one with a big titty milf? it amuses me to overthink bleach but some parts are pretty simple.

I personally haven't seen Kubo and Kojima together in the same room. Just saying.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

personally i think kubo should put even more milfs in

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

shoulda killed kenpachi off and had unohana go on a revenge tour

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

personally i think kubo should put even more milfs in

or make the ones they have useful or interesting. rangiku was basically filler character but her zan has awesome abilities that could reasonably be deployed like a stealth-senbonzakura, but she really only ever showed up outside TBTP and its hook into the karakura stuff as a lecherous drunk creeping on a child prodigy shinigami who also outranked her

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Gruckles posted:

It's a really good praank.

I'm Aizen Kutcher and you've been punk'd!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lib and let die posted:

Is there an anime with as good an OST as Bleach? From the weird dissonant stuff to the intense symphonic poo poo, I don't think, note for note, Sagisu has produced anything as good as what he did for Bleach.

Jujutsu Kaisen has a great OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ3ZIBeLdcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMIRTVkchs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDUAWW4fgt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtRp6svwSY4

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 29, 2021

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Stairmaster posted:

shoulda killed kenpachi off and had unohana go on a revenge tour

Can't wait for Unohana: From Hell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The Fullbring arc may go totally off the rails but the moment right before Ichigo gets his powers back where he thinks he’s just been stabbed by his own father is really good imo

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

christmas boots posted:

The Fullbring arc may go totally off the rails but the moment right before Ichigo gets his powers back where he thinks he’s just been stabbed by his own father is really good imo

That DEATH & STRAWBERRY 2 payoff was rad: https://bleachmanga.biz/read-bleach-chapter-459-death-strawberry-2-updated/

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Ichigo showed more emotion in that one chapter than the entire final arc.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Thoren posted:

Ichigo showed more emotion in that one chapter than the entire final arc.

Some people should just stop getting powerups at a point, and this was Ichigos. Actually that energy kimono that he had in Chapter 444 was pretty dope.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ironically that's probably the last time Ichigo getting a power up ever matters. His next massive power up is when he gets his "true" zans but all he ever does from then on is lose over and over and gets his bankai broken by Yhwach before we even see what it does.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The semi armored look and that particular sword were also his coolest ones imo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
was there a reason why it took the shinigami like a year to stab ichigo with the macguffin sword to restore his powers?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

was there a reason why it took the shinigami like a year to stab ichigo with the macguffin sword to restore his powers?

Aizen's plan.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

They had to harvest enough undead bear asses to charge the sword up or something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

I think they only did it because he was contacted by Xcution or whatever the Fullbringers were called. lol

Thoren
May 28, 2008
How do you guys figure the Fullbring arc was originally supposed to end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wasn't the sword something Urahara had only just recently created, or something like that?