Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the washington redfriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Washington Groundhogs. I love it.

People are saying this more and more

https://twitter.com/emesola/status/1478373228871663621?t=SZwq0zFWml5FRGkftGN4og&s=19

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
If it's the Groundhogs, it will be because the team's record will be 6-11 season after season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

2-2-22

Two two two two

washington ballerinas.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Please don’t be hogs, I don’t want to have to differentiate between wft and :razorback2:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the offenders

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They will come out as just the Hogs, Pumbaa will be their officially licensed mascot, and all games will only be available on Disney+.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I’m okay with this.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Washington Groundhogs is actually a decent name. So it will not be that.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

What will the fake 60s throwback alternate logo be

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

The Groundhogs is a laughably pathetic name so it'll be a great fit.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Just think of all the “6 more weeks of X bad thing” jokes

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I am still astounded they didn't see the writing on the wall and have their new name waiting in the wings. They had to run with this WFT poo poo for two years! Then again nothing Dan Snyder does should surprise me at this point.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I am still astounded they didn't see the writing on the wall and have their new name waiting in the wings. They had to run with this WFT poo poo for two years! Then again nothing Dan Snyder does should surprise me at this point.

I bet its so they could sell as much WFT as possible before changing again and selling more merch.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

I bet its so they could sell as much WFT as possible before changing again and selling more merch.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even think of that, but it's so so plausible.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even think of that, but it's so so plausible.

There was a rumor about this last year as well, that they could have had a new permanent name in place for this season but that the various merchandise manufacturers (Namely Nike) wanted them to stay with WFT for another year to sell more stuff since fans were gonna be back in the stadiums.

There was also the story that they were caught completely flat footed prior to all the stuff blowing up in the summer of 2020 and dropping the Redskins name. Supposedly, whatever alternative names Snyder had trademarked long in the past had lapsed and he’d been preparing to fight to keep the name until 2020 went all 2020 and it got forced on him really quick.

I doubt we’ll get the truth on how this all played out anytime soon, but I’m inclined to believe almost anything that indicates Dan Snyder is an angry, stupid person.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is just keeping it Washington Football Team still in play? They nailed it with the first try, imo.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

They should go all in on this and just change the team name every 3-5 years.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The Washington Rail Riders

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1478466180520235008

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Baltimore Ravens never lost to the Washington Football Team.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The team Instagram posted a closeup of a bunch of General-style stars around the jersey collar so my money's on some troop-humping name like Commanders

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Washington rear end and Titties.

Or you could probably just shorten it to the Washington rear end.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The Washington Insurrections

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

The Washington Football Team is the coolest name in the NFL and they shouldn't change it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

The Washington Football Team is the coolest name in the NFL and they shouldn't change it.

They should change it to the St. Louis Football Team.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sounds like "washingtonadmirals.com" redirected to WFT's website for a while today. Believe that was one of the names that the Team sought rights over recently.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Sounds like "washingtonadmirals.com" redirected to WFT's website for a while today. Believe that was one of the names that the Team sought rights over recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kFfhHv9AmY

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Washington Groundhogs is actually a decent name. So it will not be that.

The last several 'new' names in the NFL have all been awful.

Titans is just kind of bland
Texans is boring
Commanders is generic as gently caress

Ravens was actually pretty clever, especially by comparison.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just, you know what, gently caress it go with the Washington R**** and show the world how little you actually care Dan

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Red posted:

The last several 'new' names in the NFL have all been awful.

Titans is just kind of bland
Texans is boring
Commanders is generic as gently caress

Ravens was actually pretty clever, especially by comparison.

It isn't even limited to the NFL. Basically everything after 1995 is bad.

Raptors, Thunder, and Wizards are lame. Wild and Predators are goofy. Golden Knights is OK at best. Pelicans is odd but at least original. Kraken is neat, but also a little bit like they were trying too hard. Don't even get me started with the various cargo cult MLS names. The entire WNBA, except for New York Liberty, is bad.

Baseball dodges the issue by just all being a hundred years old.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sash! posted:

Raptors, Thunder, and Wizards are lame. Wild and Predators are goofy. Golden Knights is OK at best. Pelicans is odd but at least original. Kraken is neat, but also a little bit like they were trying too hard. Don't even get me started with the various cargo cult MLS names. The entire WNBA, except for New York Liberty, is bad.

Diamondbacks, Marlins, and Devil Rays are horrendous. Guardians is… okay.

The original XFL had good names - Outlaws, Thunderbolts, Hitmen, Demons.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

shirts and skins posted:

The team Instagram posted a closeup of a bunch of General-style stars around the jersey collar so my money's on some troop-humping name like Commanders
The problem with that name is that it doesn't just lend itself to the nickname "Commies", it practically demands it.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Sash! posted:

Thunder should've kept the Super Sonics name because of the history.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Shrimpy posted:

Thunder should've kept the Super Sonics name because of the history.

Glad others realize that 2008 was actually the second time OKC hosed over the Seattle Supersonics

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sash! posted:

MLS has some good names, I like Chicago Fire, and Seattle Sounders, but things like Real Salt Lake are extremely terrible. Teams need to stick to generic animals. I'm ok with Marlins, Rays, and Pelicans since those are animals native to the area, and are a little different. Kraken is ok I guess, but I agree it is definitely "try hard", could have gone with the Crabs.

WFT def needs to go with Groundhogs, I'll also except Marmots. Could go with Washington Pork to get a little political joke in, while also referencing the Hog name.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Chucktesla posted:

What will the fake 60s throwback alternate logo be

a guy in a scary ghost costume. But it's okay, because he's a christian ghost wearing a cross.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bird in a Blender posted:

MLS has some good names, I like Chicago Fire, and Seattle Sounders, but things like Real Salt Lake are extremely terrible. Teams need to stick to generic animals. I'm ok with Marlins, Rays, and Pelicans since those are animals native to the area, and are a little different. Kraken is ok I guess, but I agree it is definitely "try hard", could have gone with the Crabs.

WFT def needs to go with Groundhogs, I'll also except Marmots. Could go with Washington Pork to get a little political joke in, while also referencing the Hog name.

Fun fact: although the Sounders had been around in some form since 1974, the initial owners of the new MLS franchise wanted to name it anything other than that to carve out a ~bold new brand~ or whatever. They opened naming up to a public vote, and included a dozen or so options plus a write-in. Sounders was not a listed option but won as a write-in with almost 50% of the vote.

Of course ownership still wanted a *new* name so they went with Seattle Sounders FC. Marketing brain, I swear to god. I'll never understand it.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/parkeroo87/status/1478469609468661762?s=21

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thinking WFT is now a good name should be put in textbooks as an example of stockholm syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I think that they should stick with WFT and steer into calling them the wooft. Use dog branding and such for it. Not a primary logo or anything, but still there.

For reference, a few Major League Rugby(small US professional league) teams have done similar things. For example Rugby United New York is called Runy or Roosters by fans and commentators. Rugby Atlanta gets called Rattlers because of the RATL brading. I think WFT should do something similar.