Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

la resistance lives on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AlexBlechman/status/1482487713924268032?s=20

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
When will they make audiobook manga so the sub vs dub and manga vs anime communities can get into a 1v1v1v1 culture war

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kung Food posted:

I thought Genius Prince improved as well, and seemed more like an actual episode rather than an X.5 without the recap. My guess is The hidden arms caches are meant to be discovered and for the 3 empire fractions to THINK that the prince and princess are colluding. That's why the princess came with retainers from the 3 factions, so they can discover the weapons build up and report back. Her plan is exactly what she said it was, except she needs needs to force Wein's hand for him to accept, just like he suggested she should.

That's my read as well. It fits that he'd be the one to accidentally screw himself over with his own idea. I also noticed that the guy aggressively courting her just happens to be from his other neighbouring country. So they'll probably also take this badly and escalate things out of Weins control.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Dubs won, sorry namtab
The lovely Squid Game dub turned my normie friends to my side.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

dubs and subs are currently neck and neck. unfortunately, it's a race to the bottom

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am transcending both. you should all come with me on my journey, my friends. we will reach a world that is, beyond both sub and dub

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Live action TV/movie dubs are fail

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

i am transcending both. you should all come with me on my journey, my friends. we will reach a world that is, beyond both sub and dub

Bdubs

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The Colonel posted:

Finally we will reach the transcendental heights of anime as conveyed through signers

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
unfortunately subs of japanese dubs of chinese anime are the only way we're getting decent translations of the content

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

fwiw the Squid Game subs were also bad from what i've heard from folks I know who speak and read Korean, a lot of lost nuance

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mdct posted:

fwiw the Squid Game subs were also bad from what i've heard from folks I know who speak and read Korean, a lot of lost nuance

That's because people were using the closed captions based on the dub rather than the actual subtitles.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it defaulted to those for alot of people for some reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mordja posted:

Me and my brother call it Osama bin Ranking, after that guy who did 9/11.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If you're gonna make off kilter jokes please make sure they are at least funny and not whatever this low effort trash is

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I default to Spanish Dub with stuff like Saint Seiya or Eva because the production hits some major nostalgia vibes for me.

Captain Baal posted:

Dubs won, sorry namtab
Legit wrong because the dub of Ghost Stories is getting major play with Zoomers.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's because people were using the closed captions based on the dub rather than the actual subtitles.

No no, it was specifically those too. It was one of the kick-offs of "man, Netflix doesn't pay for good translations, like, ever" despite stuff like Squid Game being the best-performing show on the platform of all time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FilthyImp posted:

I default to Spanish Dub with stuff like Saint Seiya or Eva because the production hits some major nostalgia vibes for me.

Legit wrong because the dub of Ghost Stories is getting major play with Zoomers.

Cursed generation, we need to start over

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only true saint seiya experience is the brazilian subs where nobody can go five words without swearing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Why not go with the best of both worlds, badly acted dubs using akward/machine translated HK-DVD like subs!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why would you not watch osamu ranking. Weird choice.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

If you're gonna make off kilter jokes please make sure they are at least funny and not whatever this low effort trash is

he actually mods

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
>he volunteers his labor on the underwater basketweaving subforum of a dead man's comedy site

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

mdct posted:

No no, it was specifically those too. It was one of the kick-offs of "man, Netflix doesn't pay for good translations, like, ever" despite stuff like Squid Game being the best-performing show on the platform of all time.

The translation for Aggretsuko was pretty good, if I remember correctly

Everything else though, pbbltbltblt (The Komi-san translation was good but the subtitles were a joke, for a show with such a heavy amount of signs)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

The translation for Aggretsuko was pretty good, if I remember correctly

Everything else though, pbbltbltblt (The Komi-san translation was good but the subtitles were a joke, for a show with such a heavy amount of signs)

I shudder to think what they'll do in S2 when talks-in-narration-boxes guy shows up

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
the glory days of fansubs shall rise again

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

mdct posted:

I sort of doubt they expected that'd be the case when they translated it, to be fair.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zetsubou-san posted:

Yes but enough about Netflix :smuggo:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Checked out Fantasy Bishoujo, it was actually really fun! I kind of assumed it was gona be some generic titty Isekai from the blurb and the the tags but it's actually a romcom between the two main characters and actually that rules

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xun posted:

Checked out Fantasy Bishoujo, it was actually really fun! I kind of assumed it was gona be some generic titty Isekai from the blurb and the the tags but it's actually a romcom between the two main characters and actually that rules

Someone else pointed out in this thread (and I agree with them) that one of the refreshing things about it is that the show actually has time to breathe. The show knows its strength is the interplay between the characters and the comedy that emerges from them and so it's not rushing to make things happen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original manga is by a husband/wife artist/writer team which probably goes some distance to explaining the actual bits of romantic chemistry

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Endorph posted:

the original manga is by a husband/wife artist/writer team which probably goes some distance to explaining the actual bits of romantic chemistry

now i'm interested, that's cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

both the wife and husband have done art for fate/grand order incidentally. the husband (ikezawa) did the art for saito hajime in it and the wife (tsurusaki) did a couple of the manga.

ikezawa:

tsurusaki:

kinda cool.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They have a stream where they both talk over the episodes together if you know japanese

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

They have a stream where they both talk over the episodes together if you know japanese

kinda a shame how little of that creator's/director's commentary stuff gets translated

marumaru
May 20, 2013

my possibly final currently watching list for this season. please disregard the ridiculous amount of nearly-completed anime i for some reason keep letting get bigger

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Zetsubou-san posted:

Fear not. Legends say that in our darkest days, when every anime streaming site buckles and implodes in a poof of unprofitability to the isekai floods, and all throughout the land ring the censorious laughs heralding the return of 4Kids-style dubbings, the anime community will be saved by those they once turned their backs on. The rugged, intrepid soldiers who kept the torch alight betwixt the golden days and the fansubbing winter. Know thy banners well, my child, for one day the knights of the Pretty Cure fandom shall pour forth, from the lost grail of dedication, fansubs of fine quality for ye.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
[Serenae] is better than the official precure subs yea

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Endorph posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum