Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's always good to know that the ancient romans had the same garbage taste as your grandma in 1974

Just really highlight the "the more things change, the more they stay the same" with our modern lifestyles vis-a-vis the Romans. Kinda like the anecdote about Ridley Scott scrapping the historically-accurate detail of advertising during games in the Colosseum because he (correctly) assumed no modern viewer would believe poo poo like that actually happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wish there had at least been billboards around the inside of the arena. We know 100% for sure those were real since they were still intact when the arena of Pompeii was first excavated.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wanted to post something like "Asterix continues to be the fictional piece most true to history" and went googling for the Formula 1 advert references in the chariot race album, but something else caught my eye:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So wait what did the hill tribes of Southeast Asia grow? I'm wondering because I just remembered the concept of Zomia and of them being outside the reach of states but I'm still confused by what they actually ate.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

So wait what did the hill tribes of Southeast Asia grow? I'm wondering because I just remembered the concept of Zomia and of them being outside the reach of states but I'm still confused by what they actually ate.

Rice and opium poppies, mostly, I believe, along with fruit, which they supplemented by hunting.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

See, if I was a rich man, I'd buy one or two of these things and keep them on display in my home.

"See that bowl? That loving bowl is 1800 years old, and it's flawless. I can't get a goddamn thing from Amazon delivered unscathed, but that thing has existed for two millennium. That's how rich I am, motherfucker!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mycomancy posted:

See, if I was a rich man, I'd buy one or two of these things and keep them on display in my home.

"See that bowl? That loving bowl is 1800 years old, and it's flawless. I can't get a goddamn thing from Amazon delivered unscathed, but that thing has existed for two millennium. That's how rich I am, motherfucker!"

Well there’s this thing:

quote:

The Archimedes Palimpsest is a parchment codex palimpsest, originally a Byzantine Greek copy of a compilation of Archimedes and other authors. It contains two works of Archimedes that were thought to have been lost (the Ostomachion and the Method of Mechanical Theorems) and the only surviving original Greek edition of his work On Floating Bodies.[1] The first version of the compilation is believed to have been produced by Isidorus of Miletus, the architect of the geometrically complex Hagia Sophia cathedral in Constantinople, sometime around AD 530.[2] The copy found in the palimpsest was created from this original, also in Constantinople, during the Macedonian Renaissance (c. AD 950), a time when mathematics in the capital was being revived by the former Greek Orthodox bishop of Thessaloniki Leo the Geometer, a cousin of the Patriarch.

it is not in a museum. it is, reportedly, in the entryway to jeff bezos’ house

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

mycomancy posted:

And people like you with this mindset are exactly why there's almost certainly hundreds of artifacts just like this that don't get properly excavated and recorded and/or remain unknown to the academic world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

Well there’s this thing:

This is like finding out that the rock just has stan's loving head in his living room.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epicurius posted:

Rice and opium poppies, mostly, I believe, along with fruit, which they supplemented by hunting.

:ms: I honestly forgot rice terraces were a thing.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

And people like you with this mindset are exactly why there's almost certainly hundreds of artifacts just like this that don't get properly excavated and recorded and/or remain unknown to the academic world.

You...you know I'll never be rich enough to do this, right? You know this was an offhanded comment to elaborate how awesome and priceless such an antique is, right?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mycomancy posted:

You...you know I'll never be rich enough to do this, right? You know this was an offhanded comment to elaborate how awesome and priceless such an antique is, right?

Have you heard of NFT's? Any body can be a millionaire or even billionaire in a few years now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

mycomancy posted:

Just because you probably will never be able to make it a reality doesnt mean it's not a lovely mindset to have.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Just because you probably will never be able to make it a reality doesnt mean it's not a lovely mindset to have.

Oh do gently caress off.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mycomancy posted:

Oh do gently caress off.

I literally am a professional archaeologist, have worked in musuem collections, and deal with preservation and the after effects of looters on almost a day to day basis.

It's lovely mindset to have. Maybe you should reevaluate why you think that something that unique and interesting should be a conversation piece in some rich persons living room.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 30, 2022

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

I literally am a professional archaeologist, have worked in musuem collections, and deal with preservation and the after effects of looters on almost a day to day basis.

It's lovely mindset to have. Maybe you should reevaluate why you think that something that unique and interesting should be a conversation piece in some rich persons living room.

Dude, here, maybe you got some dust from the Levant in your eyes and you can't real well right now, so I'll put it in all caps so you can read it.

IT WAS A FLIPPANT OFFHAND POST ABOUT HOW COOL THE BOWL IS. QUIT BEING A oval office ABOUT AN INTERNET POST DESCRIBING A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION THAT WILL *LITERALLY* *NEVER* HAPPEN.

Can you read that alright? I'm sure you'll let me know if you can't!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

museums steal poo poo all the time, dude, even in the present day

Guy I know has a cave. He finds a chamber with an obviously old-as-hell human skull sitting in it. Been there for centuries, probably pre-european native

'Oh cool', he says, 'I'm gonna send this to some experts to do an analysis and document the history.

so he makes an arrangement with the smithsonian to send it in. He does.

They never publish anything, refuse to return the skull, and when pressed, hit him with spurious threats of legal action.

Eventually they 'gave in' to the extent that they say they'll send him a plaster cast of the skull, so he can show where it was found in the original context

he gets a package from them, opens it up, and it's a plaster gorilla skull

racist fucks.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 30, 2022

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tunicate posted:

Guy I know has a cave. He finds a chamber with an obviously old-as-hell human skull sitting in it. Been there for centuries, probably.

'Oh cool', he says, 'I'm gonna send this to some experts to do an analysis and document the history.

so he makes an arrangement with the smithsonian to send it in. He does.

They never publish anything, refuse to return the skull, and when pressed, hit him with spurious threats of legal action.

Eventually they 'gave in' to the extent that they say they'll send him a plaster cast of the skull, so he can show where it was found in the original context

he gets a package from them, opens it up, and it's a plaster gorilla skull

racist fucks.

No but you see posts are the REAL CRIME here!

POSTS!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mycomancy posted:

Dude, here, maybe you got some dust from the Levant in your eyes and you can't real well right now, so I'll put it in all caps so you can read it.

IT WAS A FLIPPANT OFFHAND POST ABOUT HOW COOL THE BOWL IS. QUIT BEING A oval office ABOUT AN INTERNET POST DESCRIBING A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION THAT WILL *LITERALLY* *NEVER* HAPPEN.

Can you read that alright? I'm sure you'll let me know if you can't!

you still want to do that even if you'll never have the opportunity to

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
perhaps, if your first reaction to pushback is "I'll never be rich enough" instead of "it was a joke, I wouldn't really do it even if I was rich", that does indicate something you should think about in yourself

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No flamewars on weekends. Crack a booze of your choice and chill out watching Cities: Skylines videos. I'm almost at the end of a nice bottle of a yamahai junmai.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

perhaps, if your first reaction to pushback is "I'll never be rich enough" instead of "it was a joke, I wouldn't really do it even if I was rich", that does indicate something you should think about in yourself

You sound like you're a ton of fun at parties.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tunicate posted:

They totally do and its an incredibly large issue in the industry and there's constant push back and progess on making them return poo poo they steal. Not everything belongs in a musuem, but it sure as hell doesn't belong in a rich dudes parlor as a conversation piece.

Also most archaeological stuff and a lot of musuem stuff gets written up as grey papers and doesn't get published widely. Its still lovely what the musuem did though, though I have opinions about how cultural resources and private land are handled in the US.

Chill man, and you might want to edit some of that out so you don't eat a probe. Pretty much anybody in my industry would have and should have called that post out.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 30, 2022

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

No flamewars on weekends. Crack a booze of your choice and chill out watching Cities: Skylines videos. I'm almost at the end of a nice bottle of a yamahai junmai.

A bunch of anal-retentive nerds are super mad that I dared to post that I even THOUGHT about purchasing an antiquity for any reason other than to give it to the Smithsonian, screaming at me "It belongs in a museum!" like some sort of fatter, lamer Harrison Ford.

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 30, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
lmao

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Chill man, and you might want to edit some of that out so you don't eat a probe. Pretty much anybody in my industry would have and should have called that post out.

gently caress you, you started it. I made a throwaway post and you act like I'm a tomb raider when I havent traveled outside my county in two years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Gonna nominate these posts for the National Register of Historic Posting.

Edit: I'll eat a probe for the joke if you deem it necessary.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh that's a good one, have to see if I can make the filesize reasonable enough to use sometime.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://www.crigenetics.com/blog/cri-customer-has-his-dna-traced-back-17000-years

Some native American fellow got DNA tested and they reckon the results show his ancestors were in the Americas 17,000 years ago. Any clue how you could tell something like that?
Was also surprised to learn it looks like a bunch of people came to America via the Pacific before the Austronesian migrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Weka posted:

https://www.crigenetics.com/blog/cri-customer-has-his-dna-traced-back-17000-years

Some native American fellow got DNA tested and they reckon the results show his ancestors were in the Americas 17,000 years ago. Any clue how you could tell something like that?
Was also surprised to learn it looks like a bunch of people came to America via the Pacific before the Austronesian migrations.

In this case it is mitochondrial dna. Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cells and contain different dna than your dna. This specifically comes from your mother, and she got it from her mother, and it goes back tens of thousands of years before you see a mutation. So many of us share the exact same mitochondrial dna and there actually is a woman at some point in time that is technically the ancestor to all present living humans as traceable via mitochondrial dna.

There’s a lot of difficulty in figuring out genetic markers for north american natives because we killed them all. South americans, however, were not so destroyed. As a result, we have a lot of DNA evidence that there was polynesian peoples in Peru a long drat time ago. We’ve long had the theory that they were there because thats where polynesians got sweet potatoes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Nice! posted:

In this case it is mitochondrial dna. Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cells and contain different dna than your dna. This specifically comes from your mother, and she got it from her mother, and it goes back tens of thousands of years before you see a mutation. So many of us share the exact same mitochondrial dna and there actually is a woman at some point in time that is technically the ancestor to all present living humans as traceable via mitochondrial dna.

There’s a lot of difficulty in figuring out genetic markers for north american natives because we killed them all. South americans, however, were not so destroyed. As a result, we have a lot of DNA evidence that there was polynesian peoples in Peru a long drat time ago. We’ve long had the theory that they were there because thats where polynesians got sweet potatoes.
As a Hawaii lover, polynesians amaze me. Though apparently they got to Hawaii pretty late in the game compared to South America.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

It belongs in a museum basement in a drawer where a grad student might get around to looking at it in 30 years, if we can get the funding!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

It belongs in a museum basement in a drawer where a grad student might get around to looking at it in 30 years, if we can get the funding!

I mean yes, because there is still a significantly higher chance it will be properly documentated and researched then if it gets stuck in some rich dudes parlor till he dies or in the garage in the box of that one uncle who likes to go poke around ruins. What happens is those people die and then their kids sometimes bring what they find in the boxes or parlor to a musuem who looks at it and go "Oh wow this is cool, too bad this is essentially completely worthless for data because you have zero contextual information about it".

Musuems have a lot of poo poo and comparatively little money, there's an issue were current collections are not seen as "sexy" and are not often the focus of new research, musuems have a long history of stealing poo poo that's sacred or culturally important and not doing anything with it other than holding it, not that doing anything with them would offset the shittyness of stealing it.

All of these are big issues and central topics of discussion in the musuem collection world. But having a something in a musuem collections is still almost always the better option.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 30, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also there's lots of antiques that are both impressive and not unique enough anyone wants to research them. Coins are a typical example, a roman coin collection might look museum worthy but hoards mean indervidual coins are abundant enough for you to buy freely.

On the same note, I own some antique weapons - a 1780s french court sword, 1800s afghan musket, west african takoba - interesting weapons, but nothing so historically significant to belong in a museum or not already in the back rooms.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mr. Nice! posted:

17,000 years is way before the Austronesian (including Polynesian) migrations kicked off. After a little more research it seems the majority view is that this is from a population who migrated through Beringia but left no genetic evidence in the modern population of Siberia, and had migrated to South America within 1500 years.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a current consensus on why pre-Clovis sites are so much rarer than post-Clovis? Lower population density? A material culture that didn't leave as many remains? Or is the premise wrong and the remains are plentiful but harder to spot?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Well there’s this thing:

Modern times need a modern? hero. It belongs in a museum

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there a current consensus on why pre-Clovis sites are so much rarer than post-Clovis? Lower population density? A material culture that didn't leave as many remains? Or is the premise wrong and the remains are plentiful but harder to spot?

I don't really have time to write up a big effort post on it, but a lot of pre-clovis sited would also be under water now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Did people actually stop going back and forth across Beringia before modern-ish times? Wikipedia tells me there are people speaking related languages on both sides so it seems like people must have been moving across a lot more recently than 13K (or however far back) years ago, but before Europeans started showing up.