Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

roasting coffee owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I FOUND IT! I knew it had to exist!

Kingrinder, 1zpresso knockoffs/company split/whatever.

People seem to say the parts quality is on par, seems like a good middle ground as far as price, what do ya'll think?

I just can't get myself to spend 160/200 on the JX-Pro/J-max, it's a lot.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seems like the one closest to being comparable to a jx-pro (though with larger steps still) is all of $20 cheaper?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What about the K3 or maybe even the K2 though? It looks like you could totally get away with dialing in espresso with those, with smaller steps than what is otherwise available at that price range from what I've found so far.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

From that chart, the K4 and K6 are identical except the K4 has titanium-coated burrs and is $10 cheaper. Is stainless steel superior to titanium or something?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol it seems like they're trying to have a less confusing naming system than the 1zpressos they're copying but.. it's somehow just as opaque

anyways if it is just some employees that split off or whatever and the build quality is identical to 1zpresso, it's a good find for sure. i assume you're taking a slight chance something isn't as good, but probably not much of one

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 14, 2022

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

404notfound posted:

From that chart, the K4 and K6 are identical except the K4 has titanium-coated burrs and is $10 cheaper. Is stainless steel superior to titanium or something?

It's a different burr entirely, they call the one on the k5/k6 Heptagonal.

That being said though, is titanium coating really a thing that works? Always seems like coatings start coming off sooner or later. (with kitchen stuff in general, no idea about grinders)

Unless there's a strong yes to the question above, I'm probably gonna go ahead and try the K2 and report back.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Brut posted:

It's a different burr entirely, they call the one on the k5/k6 Heptagonal.

That being said though, is titanium coating really a thing that works? Always seems like coatings start coming off sooner or later. (with kitchen stuff in general, no idea about grinders)

Unless there's a strong yes to the question above, I'm probably gonna go ahead and try the K2 and report back.

if that's the same heptagonal burr geometry as 1zpresso, people really like it and it's probably a little better (at least in some far end of the diminishing returns curve sense of better)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

eke out posted:

lol it seems like they're trying to have a less confusing naming system than the 1zpressos they're copying but.. it's somehow just as opaque

I see they've copied the unnecessarily large amount of SKUs too. Like the K5/6 are close enough that they might as well be one listing. Same for the 3-4. Even the 0-1 may as well only be one even if they actually have different burrs, because they're all of $10 apart.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I see they've copied the unnecessarily large amount of SKUs too. Like the K5/6 are close enough that they might as well be one listing. Same for the 3-4. Even the 0-1 may as well only be one even if they actually have different burrs, because they're all of $10 apart.

I've seen lots of people really care about whether it's an internal or external adjustment mechanism :shrug:

It would be nice if they just let you literally custom order one and it would adjust the price based on what you put in, and every possible combination just ends up being one of the SKUs they have, seems unlikely though.

Edit: Actually now that I'm looking at it I can't even find listings for the K2/K4/K6, so uhhh, K3 it is? Might email them to ask if the others will become available or what's up.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 14, 2022

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly if you think the k3/5 meet your needs go for it, but at the same time, if you think the 1z is better, for example because of its significantly smaller adjustments, then you should probably just get that unless you're not sure about even having a hand grinder or just espresso in general. While $40 is a significant % price difference, that's all of like 3-4 bags of coffee. I certainly prefer the looks of the 1zpresso more, particularly the engraved adjustment numbers. I spent on the k-plus like a dumb, but price wasn't the only reason I wanted a hand grinder. They're also just much easier to put wherever I want on the counter.

And if you want to save money (or maybe not!!!!) on coffee....

Google Butt posted:

roasting coffee owns

Sweet Marias has a stovetop popper starter kit that is basically 8lbs of beans and $15 for everything else in the kit. Highly recommend. Have good ventilation for when you dump

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kingrinder posted:

I am afraid to inform you that there is no current plan for the K2, K4, K6 grinders to be available at the moment.
The K3 and K5 shared the same burr design with the K4, K6 for your reference, kindly consider it.

Hmmm, no $99 grinder for me I guess huh. But at least it makes the model selection less confusing, lmao.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Honestly if you think the k3/5 meet your needs go for it, but at the same time, if you think the 1z is better, for example because of its significantly smaller adjustments, then you should probably just get that unless you're not sure about even having a hand grinder or just espresso in general. While $40 is a significant % price difference, that's all of like 3-4 bags of coffee. I certainly prefer the looks of the 1zpresso more, particularly the engraved adjustment numbers. I spent on the k-plus like a dumb, but price wasn't the only reason I wanted a hand grinder. They're also just much easier to put wherever I want on the counter.

The problem is that when I think of buying the JX-Pro as "$40 more", it then also makes sense to save up $40 more to get the J-max.

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 15, 2022

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Brut posted:

The problem is that when I think of buying the JX-Pro as "$40 more", it then also makes sense to save up $40 more to get the J-max.

I mean this is what I'd personally do if I was looking at something specifically for espresso. Though if you actually want a case, it's more like $25 since you can't not get one with the j-max but you have to pay for it with the jx. The JX does have a threaded catch cup which some people prefer over the magnetic.

If I was getting a kingrinder and had a tight budget, I'd just get the K1 (or import a k2 from canada), but that's partially because I value being able to hold 30g, and the K1 is at least significantly cheaper if I can't have that. The adjustment steps are also exactly the same, so it's not like spending on their more expensive one lets you dial in more. Smaller burrs means you'll take longer grinding.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

ok I think I’m getting better at the moka pot, the trick is not just to loosely pour the beans into the chamber but pour less beans. I wasnt packing them before but it would still become a hard to dislodge puck after and now it easily falls out with nary a tap and the coffee tastes great

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Well the upgrade phase went pretty well...

Lelit Biana and the Atom 75. Match made in heaven so far!

qutius fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 16, 2022

Gunder
May 22, 2003

qutius posted:

Nice one. I upgraded my Rocket Appartamento to a Bianca last year. It's been great so far. Much better for extracting those fussy light roasts.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

qutius posted:

I found replacing the portafilter that came with my Bianca with a vst let me extract light roasts more consistently, also bumped the temp a bit

I feel the steam wand works okay, sputters a little bit for me I’m unsure why

Great machine you’re gonna love it imo

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, definitely invest in a nice VST basket if you haven’t already. It makes a pretty big difference.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Coffee thread is long, confusing, and full of over-caffeinated weirdos. Our Oxo on-brain 9 cup dripper has lasted about 5 years and died and we need a new drip pot. Having a timer is a plus but not required.

Way back when I was last researching drippers I looked at the Bonavita and the Technivorm. It looks like the Bonavita is no longer available. I like that the Technivorm is fully repairable but $330 is a lot.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

NomNomNom posted:

Coffee thread is long, confusing, and full of over-caffeinated weirdos. Our Oxo on-brain 9 cup dripper has lasted about 5 years and died and we need a new drip pot. Having a timer is a plus but not required.

Way back when I was last researching drippers I looked at the Bonavita and the Technivorm. It looks like the Bonavita is no longer available. I like that the Technivorm is fully repairable but $330 is a lot.

The technivorm is good. I have one. There’s no timer. All parts are replaceable so it should outlast your Oxo.

Hope this helps. Not sure what else you want.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

nwin posted:

The technivorm is good. I have one. There’s no timer. All parts are replaceable so it should outlast your Oxo.

Hope this helps. Not sure what else you want.

No that's pretty much it, looking for affirmation that it's worth the price.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

NomNomNom posted:

No that's pretty much it, looking for affirmation that it's worth the price.

I’ve had one for five years, the warranty support is awesome*, and it consistently makes extremely good coffee. A friend who has a better palette than I do asked how I did the pour over. :shrug:

If you’re lazy like me and just want good coffee it’s a no-brainer. The wife and I went through four brewers that were all poo poo before we said “gently caress it” and spent the cash.

* I had the spring break in the basket a few years after buying it and I got a FedEx tracking email the same day as the email request for support.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NomNomNom posted:

AFAIK, at that price point you can either go Technivorm or Breville/Sage.

Technivorm- simple, teutonic, iconic, eternal

Breville- fancy, all of the tech, Breville user interface design, build quality, and customer support (very very good, best-in-class)

Breville = S-Class of drip coffee machines
Technivorm= S-Class of drip coffee machines, but it’s the S-Class from the 70s

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah I appreciate the simplicity of the Technivorm, tired of replacing small appliances with touchscreens and gizmos that break in a few years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah I appreciate the simplicity of the Technivorm, tired of replacing small appliances with touchscreens and gizmos that break in a few years.

FWIW, there’s no touchscreen BS or super complicated menu diving with the Breville. If you’ve ever used one of their recent toaster ovens or air friers, it’s basically that UI. Just like two buttons and a knob.

Arguably some of the best implementation of “smart” features/etc in a household appliance I’ve tried.

I would think more about what you want to do with the machine than worry about durability or support. The Breville will let you do stuff like cold brew, over ice, “auto Gold Cup” (ie the closest to what a Technivorm will do), etc, and let you micromanage things like brew time/temp/etc. to your heart’s content.

If you have a pourover device like a V60 or Clever that you want to hook up to your Breville for some bizarre reason, you can do that.

Last I checked, it’s also the drip machine that James Hoffman uses at home, if that matters at all to you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok Comboomer posted:

FWIW, there’s no touchscreen BS or super complicated menu diving with the Breville. If you’ve ever used one of their recent toaster ovens or air friers, it’s basically that UI. Just like two buttons and a knob.

Arguably some of the best implementation of “smart” features/etc in a household appliance I’ve tried.

I would think more about what you want to do with the machine than worry about durability or support. The Breville will let you do stuff like cold brew, over ice, “auto Gold Cup” (ie the closest to what a Technivorm will do), etc, and let you micromanage things like brew time/temp/etc. to your heart’s content.

If you have a pourover device like a V60 or Clever that you want to hook up to your Breville for some bizarre reason, you can do that.

Last I checked, it’s also the drip machine that James Hoffman uses at home, if that matters at all to you.

I’m anti-breville. I’ve had two of their smart ovens break right after warranty and their customer service told me to get hosed.

And though it doesn’t have a touchscreen or anything, there’s probably a more sophisticated computer chip it uses than the technivorm to deliver all those brew methods.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

my technivorm has been great definitely would recommend

put in coffee, put in water, hit the switch.

it's not as good as a quality pourover though

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

sugar free jazz posted:

my technivorm has been great definitely would recommend

put in coffee, put in water, hit the switch.

it's not as good as a quality pourover though

Is there any machine that will make a cup as good as a v60?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Google Butt posted:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Google Butt posted:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This image will never not be funny.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bought some "naturally low caffeine" beans from my neighbor roaster. Not sure how low they are but it gives me excuses to make silly things in the afternoon with no guilt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did you invent a Samoa Latte?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I grew up in Houston, so I invented a Caramel Delatte :colbert:

used chai caramel from this recipe and I gotta say it's working for me

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

NomNomNom posted:

I keep meaning to take advantage of the occasional sales where they're like $275 or something but....my Bonvita 1800 keeps on trucking every day as it has for the last 8 years. So sad to hear theyve apparently gone out of business.

I assume Technivorm is even higher quality and even more reliable?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

after getting a gooseneck kettle I started brewing a few single cup brews with the v60 in addition to the two cups in the weekends, just to get the hang of using a pouring kettle, and I believe I can safely say that, purely from the flavour in the cup, an aeropress is superior for single cup brews. it’s just way more consistent both in taste and as a process.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ulvir posted:

after getting a gooseneck kettle I started brewing a few single cup brews with the v60 in addition to the two cups in the weekends, just to get the hang of using a pouring kettle, and I believe I can safely say that, purely from the flavour in the cup, an aeropress is superior for single cup brews. it’s just way more consistent both in taste and as a process.

I've been making V60 pour-overs pretty much every day for the last two years. Until Hoffman's ultimate technique, I never really managed to get anything all that good out of my Aeropress. The pour-overs always tasted much better to me. The V60 can be pretty unforgiving though, and small inconsistencies or errors in technique will vary the outcome by quite a bit.

I've had the best results when using Scott Rao's updated pour-over technique and would recommend that you give it a try. It's a technique designed for single cups but can be easily upscaled for larger amounts. It's very simple but highly effective. Pay particular attention to the section where he talks about pour height., as that's especially important for getting a good result. (The video uses a Kalita Wave instead of a V60, but the technique works on the V60 no problem).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsGf3R9mc0

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Gunder posted:

I've been making V60 pour-overs pretty much every day for the last two years. Until Hoffman's ultimate technique, I never really managed to get anything all that good out of my Aeropress. The pour-overs always tasted much better to me. The V60 can be pretty unforgiving though, and small inconsistencies or errors in technique will vary the outcome by quite a bit.

I've had the best results when using Scott Rao's updated pour-over technique and would recommend that you give it a try. It's a technique designed for single cups but can be easily upscaled for larger amounts. It's very simple but highly effective. Pay particular attention to the section where he talks about pour height., as that's especially important for getting a good result. (The video uses a Kalita Wave instead of a V60, but the technique works on the V60 no problem).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsGf3R9mc0

Did not realize the bubbles meant not all the coffee is wet. I'll try this once I get my new V60 filters. I've been using something like Hoffman's technique, although I can't bring myself to use a timer, and I get great brews maybe 80% of the time. Never given much thought to pour height either. But did figure out that using flat-bottomed size 2 filters with the V60 instead of the pointy ones has been producing poo poo coffee every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Sweeper posted:

I found replacing the portafilter that came with my Bianca with a vst let me extract light roasts more consistently, also bumped the temp a bit

I feel the steam wand works okay, sputters a little bit for me I’m unsure why

Great machine you’re gonna love it imo

I haven't had any issues with the steam wand so far. A TINY amount of water then she just loving blasts steam. Talk about a huge upgrade! Do you use the two hole or four hole tip?