Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I saw a commercial for the movie during March Madness and it was all quick cuts and Dumbledore. No magical beast at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are some crab things that show up in one trailer but that seems to be it.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
In the end, we realize that it was wizards who were the beasts all along.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

According to the leaked script (which was pretty much 100% confirmed real by the trailer) there is a magical beast that is a pivotal maguffin to the plot, but it's still a plot VERY firmly focused on stopping Grindelwald using a superbrain 4D chess scheme cooked up by Dumbledore. Even more than the previous movie honestly.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Turns out, the most dangerous beasts were us all along. Oh and also the goblins, they're definitely beasts and should not be allowed to have wands, or freedom for that matter.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Fascistic Beasts and How to Ignore Them

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rotten Red Rod posted:

According to the leaked script (which was pretty much 100% confirmed real by the trailer) there is a magical beast that is a pivotal maguffin to the plot, but it's still a plot VERY firmly focused on stopping Grindelwald using a superbrain 4D chess scheme cooked up by Dumbledore. Even more than the previous movie honestly.

Dumbledore sends Newt to die against Grindelwald, which was the final piece of the puzzle to stop his evil plan.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Boba Pearl posted:

Better than the goatfucker I guess? I prefer celibate to cross species animal husbandry.
Jeez, you gently caress *one* goat....

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

something i said?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

Even American comics made while the war was still ongoing managed to come up with a better handwave (“we would if it wasn’t for those darn Nazis having occult magic/artifacts that would tear us apart”) than HP’s excuse.

What's even weirder is they basically make allusions to WW1 in the first FB that imply that it was the situation everyone thought was the case for WW2 -- that both sides had wizards so it washed out in the end.

Of course as Rowling actually focuses in on a specific era it gets more convoluted, and the whole secrecy thing muddies things further, so all of a sudden it becomes about Dumbledore's secret brother and ex-boyfriend but with weird/uncomfortable references to a real life multi-generational tragedy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

JKR has said before that Dumbledore is her favorite character to write. Turns out that means she isn't interested in writing for any other character. Remember in Half Blood Prince when Harry did gently caress-all for the entire year, and then Dumbledore showed up and was like, "oh by the way I've been progressing the plot offscreen the whole time, time to take you to evil magic cave instead of a competent adult for no good reason now".

By the end the books were actually about Dumbledore, and these movies are like a speedrun version of that.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
You know this septology could have followed various book writers living around the same time to add to the world-building and filling in the overall plot with what happened between Grindelwald and Dumbledore.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

JKR has said before that Dumbledore is her favorite character to write. Turns out that means she isn't interested in writing for any other character. Remember in Half Blood Prince when Harry did gently caress-all for the entire year, and then Dumbledore showed up and was like, "oh by the way I've been progressing the plot offscreen the whole time, time to take you to evil magic cave instead of a competent adult for no good reason now".

By the end the books were actually about Dumbledore, and these movies are like a speedrun version of that.

Harry was busy chasing the non-red-herring of Draco and Snape even though Dumbledore warned him not to giving no reasons as to why other than he trusts Snape. Of course, as we know, this strategy worked well on Harry the previous year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We could show you a cool adventure in the jungles of thailand searching for a rare creature out hero wants to protect while greedy wizards from Stereotopolis want only to capture it to profit from it, or we can show you unedited holocaust footage while some visibly confused actors pretend not to be gay in front of them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Guy A. Person posted:

What's even weirder is they basically make allusions to WW1 in the first FB that imply that it was the situation everyone thought was the case for WW2 -- that both sides had wizards so it washed out in the end.

Of course as Rowling actually focuses in on a specific era it gets more convoluted, and the whole secrecy thing muddies things further, so all of a sudden it becomes about Dumbledore's secret brother and ex-boyfriend but with weird/uncomfortable references to a real life multi-generational tragedy.

It feels like on the one hand Rowling wants the Wizarding world to be completely separate from the real one, and the answer to "why don't wizards solve [x]?" is "because they don't loving care about muggles and their poo poo." This is pretty much what Hagrid tells Harry in the first book and It's super easy to handwave away their lack of involvement in major historical events this way.

On the other hand though, Rowling keeps dragging muggles and their poo poo into the plot. There really didn't need to be a scene where Fudge and Rufus show up to tell Tony Blair about Voldemort, and there certainly didn't need to be a movie about wizard involvement in WW2. The only muggles we ever needed to hear about in the story are the Dursleys and all the rest of it is just uncomfortable or awkward fluff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
James Potter teleporting through a portrait to tell Thatcher "hello I'm a magical pomade magnate, there is a noseless big dick snake Hitler and you need to be aware"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Was Voldemort noseless before he got his new body?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

We could show you a cool adventure in the jungles of thailand searching for a rare creature out hero wants to protect while greedy wizards from Stereotopolis want only to capture it to profit from it, or we can show you unedited holocaust footage while some visibly confused actors pretend not to be gay in front of them.

The one asian character we got in The Crimes of Grindelwald was bad enough. Imagine the racist poo poo we would be getting if the story was set in an asian country.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

maybe the true magical beast

is man and his infinite possibilities

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Feldegast42 posted:

is man and his finite possibilities

Please stick to canon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zoran posted:

"Ok you need to know this evil guy is here, I don't know his nose status, I mainly focus on hair, but for sure Draco Malfoy's wife has come back in time to here, the year 1980, and he absolutely plowed her and cucked that little jackoff Draco Malfoy. If Draco ever has a kid in the future, just know it will be Voldemort's kid irl. Lmao."

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Samuel L. Jackson would have defeated Voldemort in a single movie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zoran posted:

If not then it didn't stop Bellatrix.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cranappleberry posted:

He couldn't even stop an elderly politician and his little nazi incel buddy in three movies.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

stev posted:

He couldn't even stop an elderly politician and his little nazi incel buddy in three movies.

Hey, come on, be fair

Anakin Skywalker had sex with a beautiful woman at least once. That's canon!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Darth Volcel

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be fair, it was half and half: he chose to throttle his wife, but he was made to be unfuckable right after

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the snake, is a korean lady

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Cranappleberry posted:

I have had it with these muthafuckin' basilisks in this muthafuckin' disused girls' bathroom!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mx. posted:

the snake, is a korean lady

A Korean lady with like no lines.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

At least this time JKR didn't give the Asian lady two last names. Instead she gets no actual name at all!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The one asian character we got in The Crimes of Grindelwald was bad enough. Imagine the racist poo poo we would be getting if the story was set in an asian country.

How many times do you think the phrase "ancient chinese secret" would appear. I set the over under at 3.5

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
they'd definitely be a master of wizard kung fu

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dumbledoreishly]: ahhh, the inscrutable mysteries of the orient

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
An elderly spook like him probably has choice stories about his time in Asia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

who gets unceremoniously executed by a teenager as the end of her story, because she's a phylactery for the nazi liche. Whyyyyyy

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mycroft Holmes posted:

they'd definitely be a master of wizard kung fu

Chi Wizard Uncle from Jackie Chan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chi Wizard Uncle from Jackie Chan

Uncle is great tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qLC_ptImo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don't sully Jackie Chan Adventures by associating it with this crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
lotta David Sakurai erasure in this thread. And I'm tired of it!