Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

HazCat posted:

Hey Zerial, you made a very human choice and you don't need to defend it. Everyone here is making risk vs reward choices all the time (unless there are any PAPR-inside-the-home hermits who haven't posted about it yet). People are going to poke fun, though, at least partly because making fun helps them reaffirm to themselves that they won't let their guard down the way you did.

But also, risking one exposure doesn't mean you've failed and have lost the game and might as well give up. Every time you don't catch covid is a win, and you can continue to not catch covid going forward. The past choice you made is done, it doesn't need to affect your future decisions. Your brain is telling you it does, but that's the same part of your brain that would tell you to give up on a diet because you had a slice of cake, or to give up quitting smoking because you had a lovely day and gave into cravings one time. It's a dumb part of your brain, and you shouldn't listen to it.

I hope you and your grandparents continue to avoid catching covid.

good poo poo right here, thank you op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not going to ask “which one of you is this?” because I think if that guy posted in the thread, he would link his own stuff to get more than two hundred views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EulWIFAEUHM

But it does have thread energy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tzen posted:

lol some world war z poo poo

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Thoguh posted:

I’m not the only one that sees Homer doing a nazi salute here, right?

This still hasn't been resolved

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/aetiology/status/1515387960518234125

Stop blaming “the science” for your own recklessness.

[SARS-CoV-3: BA.5] The numbers and the science and the data all indicated that.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

This might help

go to a doctor that looks infected

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

in case anyone wanted to see Florida too
lmao

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

lol at the opening line:

quote:

Like it or not, the choose-your-own-adventure period of the pandemic is upon us.

I will say I very much do not like this!!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 103 days!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I didn’t mean people are born as Nazis, I meant authoritarian vs non authoritarian thinking, like some peoples brains really do be like that. I am again recommending to anyone wanting to pick at the Qanon brain:

The Authoritarians
https://theauthoritarians.org/

In Search of a Flat Earth
https://youtu.be/JTfhYyTuT44

There's an earlier work, too, that published research done right after the close of WW II: "The Authoritarian Personality", by Adorno, Frenkel-Brunswik, Levinson, and Sanford.

It's much longer than Altemeyer's work, and it reflects the place that clinical psychology was in, in the late 1940s-early 50s. But if you're up for the page count, it's well worth reading.

I ran into this while I was still a high school kid.

Not quite by accident, since I made a point of learning the location of every decent bookstore in the entire city, and by the time I was halfway through grad school I'd plundered out almost every decent grad-level math text from every used bookstore in town.

It's hard to find in paper format unless you're shopping at Powell's. But there are decent copies at libgen, to my certain knowledge. :)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drat when even keith olbermann is dunking on you

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Yooo I almost missed this, thanks!! :yayclod: I appreciate you!

I would have missed it if not for you.

I share a password with another group of friends and I have never seen one of their messages but seeing a bunch of these now.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Tzen posted:

lol some world war z poo poo

lol didn’t that book have China and cuba being forced to abandon communism after having the worst pandemic responses in the world

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh hey, derp, I forgot about Cuba. Are they still officially COVID Zero? Or is China truly alone as the last bastion of humanity in the face of the viral menace?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/TwixieChick/status/1232036804066336768

To be clear, the proprietor did nothing wrong. It’s just a funny coincidence that Nancy Pelosi has been known to shop there.

empty whippet box posted:

it's me, the viable business who was utterly crated by covid by february 24th of 2020
lmao i didn't notice the date on those tweets until your post

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

wonder what she has on under the black mask

Platystemon posted:

That’s the 1870+

ahh..

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
wow paxlovid sounds awesome

https://twitter.com/alisavaldesrod1/status/1515866063828766720?s=21&t=dcNnSgcNpXOZ64tN0aSPaw

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

FrancisFukyomama posted:

lol didn’t that book have China and cuba being forced to abandon communism after having the worst pandemic responses in the world

lmao

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

woops

https://twitter.com/kgreifeld/status/1515740332469755914?s=21&t=CCywg5gpeWYVZpDPTrq4aw

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

inferis posted:

photos of mac and cheese are clear and comprehensible at a glance

Yes his takeout m&c is definitely very well color contrasted, got to hand it to him.

Sep 2, 2011

Zeriel posted:

You will be exposed over and over and over and over again until your dying breath. Your dying breath will contain covid particles.

seriously get this loving covid fatalism out of here.

there will be people who never get COVID and I intend to be one of them.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t care if someone visits their grandparents after weeks of isolation.

It is, though, very D&D brained to believe that it is the only way to have a nice weekend and to make a post on the Internet about what a great weekend it was, how you don’t care, how everyone else can eat your rear end, and that everyone else will get sick and die.

it's just the same mentality that has fueled the uncontrolled spread and spiralling out of control since the beginning. other people can say they were okay to take that risk, and ultimately it's their choice to do whatever they want, but i'm not going to validate anyone in it or indulge their COVID fatalism, because that's just externalizing their responsibility. COVID fatalism is also an rear end in a top hat move, considering there are millions of people who, if they get COVID, will die. not to mention the permanent disability and irrevocable damage that will accompany millions more infections. and they're just waving that triumphantly in their face.

loading... has issued a correction as of 11:27 on Apr 18, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

loading... posted:

seriously get this loving covid fatalism out of here.

there will be people who never get COVID and I intend to be one of them.

how

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The 2 year ban on cruise ships in Australia ended yesterday and one already sailed into Sydney Harbour at 10:30am this morning. There was a huge crowd thronging the shore, cheering and popping champagne to celebrate its return.

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1515879938460581890

quote:

Its arrival was cause for celebration for keen cruisers who had been awaiting the industry's return.

Corey Martin said he had grown up with cruising and had already booked three trips for later this year.

"It's absolutely great to have them back and I'm extremely keen to get on them again," he said.

Mr Martin was confident COVID protocols on board would keep passengers safe.

"I'm completely comfortable and secure with my safety on board."

Sep 2, 2011

continuing to do what i've been doing as long as it takes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sheer determination.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

never say never u know what im sayin

Sep 2, 2011

Google Butt posted:

never say never u know what im sayin

i've said never since the start and i plan to keep saying it. i don't believe in jinxes.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

sorry to inform u u have covid

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

we understand the germ theory of disease

"we" meaning thread regulars, of course, most Americans have lost this knowledge, if they ever had it to begin with

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Don't bring this spiraling suicidal poo poo in here, log off or go to the mental health thread.

This was put a bit aggressively, but the very nice exchange that continued in the following pages [I]could[I] be put in the mental health thread, imo.
Especially HazCat's contribution was helpful.

We don't all have the same fortitude in the face of adversity, and fatalism is a very likely phenomenon to express itself at some point during an observer's life, wether it rears its fugly head in the context of a pandemic, or otherwise, cause world's a gently caress.

Note I used "observer", not "agent". Feelings of powerlessness can be mighty overwhelming, and it looks like we are gonna have to keep dealing with that particular challenge for the indefinite future, and probably more frequently even than we have had to already.

Bog knows I certainly have times where my rationale breaks down, and I have a short-lived fatalist episode. Totally understand where the OP was coming from, even though my original reaction to their "bit" would've been vitriolic, if I had made the mistake of commenting on it.

Anyway thanks awesome thread for the human content.

drat it I did it again ! Please wear proper PPE when perusing my posts.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 2 year ban on cruise ships in Australia ended yesterday and one already sailed into Sydney Harbour at 10:30am this morning. There was a huge crowd thronging the shore, cheering and popping champagne to celebrate its return.

Lol, it's the John Mulaney bit but people actually doing it unironically

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

Deaths lag. The only way 400K cases doesn't produce 4,000 deaths is if we've missed so many cases in every other nation on earth that the IFR is below 1%.

They don't have paxlovid in any real quantity to my knowledge. Their population, especially elders, didn't have high vaccine uptake. And I'm not familiar with sinovac but I doubt it's significantly better than Moderna or Pfizer jabs.

China has been doing a great job against COVID but I don't think they'll be able to treat the actual disease any better than elsewhere does. Not worse, just not better.

Where does that come from? Ourworld in data gives something like 85% for China. Hong Kong had very low uptake among the elderly, but I'm not sure if that is true on the mainland?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"I'm completely comfortable and secure with my safety on board."

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

If the persistent viral infection hypothesis for long COVID turns out to be true for some people, like maybe it was for this person, and Paxlovid helps clear the virus and relieve symptoms that's great. But there are not enough antivirals in the world to match the existing acute needs of the immunocompromised, let alone to treat long COVID sufferers, and never will be. It would suggest a lot of people will suffer even more unnecessarily from a condition that's in principle treatable. That's nothing new for most of the world of course.

It also suggests there's a time element involved. If persistent low level infections are not a rare thing, and the virus can slowly replicate under the radar in non-regenerating tissues then long COVID sufferers really need a treatment ASAP. The longer that drags out the more cumulative damage and poorer outcomes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did anyone else notice that there is a new vaccination ad campaign this weekend, this time from the CDC, instead of your state and/or local governments? Again though it's all about how grandparents can hug their grandkids if they are vaccinated. Really? Why the gently caress are they back to focusing on that as the primary driver for vaccinations?

I was sitting in my car before work watching the rain hit my window, and realized that I was filled with hope a year ago. The vax was in high demand, and it felt like maybe, just maybe we would find the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately in May the CDC had their mask burning party and things just went back to getting worse. Now here we are, COVID is definitely worse and no one cares, It just feels like there's nothing but doom on the horizon.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

Deeply loving sick of people repeating this utter bullshit

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1514603901437194258?s=20&t=mh7NXqlLetKbHg9aBexl9w

I cannot loving emphasize how god drat garbage plane air is.

Yep, yet the idea that it is pure and sanitized remains a load bearing assumption of the world’s response to COVID because otherwise we would have to actually do something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Did anyone else notice that there is a new vaccination ad campaign this weekend, this time from the CDC, instead of your state and/or local governments? Again though it's all about how grandparents can hug their grandkids if they are vaccinated. Really? Why the gently caress are they back to focusing on that as the primary driver for vaccinations?

I was sitting in my car before work watching the rain hit my window, and realized that I was filled with hope a year ago. The vax was in high demand, and it felt like maybe, just maybe we would find the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately in May the CDC had their mask burning party and things just went back to getting worse. Now here we are, COVID is definitely worse and no one cares, It just feels like there's nothing but doom on the horizon.

Every time we got things a little under control masks got burned. and right now we are clearly in another wave and there isn’t even a hint of talk about bringing them back, even as a suggestion.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I predict there will be no mattering this week. But we will have lots of goons and their family members pop positive. I predict the same for next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's actually really low in my area, padded rates or not. Just on a short rise identical to the one that led to a massive spike last time it appeared