Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cloks posted:

...planning the next five sprints...

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i love the term sprint because it's such middle management brain

"why do those runners rest between sprints? if they just kept sprinting they'd get so much farther in the same time!!!"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

"why do those runners rest between sprints? if they just kept sprinting they'd get so much farther in the same time!!!"

it's the same mentality as that old "if you can avoid making a mistake for a minute you can do it for an hour so you should be able to do it for a whole shift" chestnut

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

yeah in retrospect i should've started slinging resumes when we couldn't reliably complete the work in a two week sprint so the management solution was to make sprints three weeks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

Everything has a "fun" name when you're doing agile.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Agile is suck rear end make work that creates more work than it saves

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PokeJoe posted:

Agile is suck rear end make work that creates more work than it saves

but then what will all the middle management do

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
like any set of tools, agile “works” (or doesn’t) depending on your organization and the people you work with.

does your work move fast enough that a daily standup is productive? if yes then do that, if you have to work on every task 3-5 days before you have a meaningful update or useful questions, maybe just do a weekly sync-up meeting.

the emphasis on continually adding features without ripping up and breaking all the other things is useful but also can’t really be done for all features for all projects. maybe use a branch to do changes that will *really* break other stuff so you can take your time to merge it back in slowly instead of breaking all the regressions for several months.

use it if it works, if not, do something else.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

but then what will all the middle management do

without agile they micromanage everything. agile is largely a solution for bad managers cause it creates structure to prevent them from constantly changing work.

if you have managers that look at the metrics and still try to gently caress with the work then thats just a bad job and you need to leave. no system will fix that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah the whole point of any business process is as a starting point, not a fully packaged solution, you're supposed to customize the process to fit your team but a lot of managers get all "it's not working, we must need to agile even harder" about it because they have no ideas and lack the confidence to tweak things because they're the one who made everyone do this crap in the first place and they're afraid changing their mind will make them look weak

see also: leaders still being all "back to the office" after it turned out going remote didn't harm productivity and now people are getting each other sick all over the place

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if they want to micromanage they'll use agile to stick their fingers in every pie every step of the way. the "ritual" meetings just add more opportunity for people uninvolved in the project to wiretap their way into the project and gently caress it up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's cargo culting a bunch of 4 hour seminars

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

agile can be frustrating, but coming from a waterfall environment it’s much nicer and has way less micromanagement going on

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

agile can be frustrating, but coming from a waterfall environment it’s much nicer and has way less micromanagement going on

or, rather, a central tenet schedules and timeboxes the micromanagement. not that it is necessarily followed, but it is one of the thing the process takes into account where e.g. waterfall does not.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm an agile certified "scrum" master too. I did the 4 hour seminar

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

Was that the safe agile training?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
agile can be good and its best when everyone just uses it as a jumping off point to just do whatever to make their jobs & workflows & everything else better. I view it mostly as a conversation starter about how to do things better. People get tied up with points and cards and poo poo and forget to ever change things to work better, which is the whole point of agile.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the big problem with the implementation I'm dealing with is that they're using agile to generate metrics, not finished work

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Was that the safe agile training?

ya my job paid for it so it was a good excuse to get out of my regular work for a few afternoons.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

i'm gonna scrum

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you could pass the "test" right now probably if you work at an agile place

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they didn't like me referring to standup as the scrum dumpster but I'm the master here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

unjustly fired for refusing to change my team name from the "scrum guzzlers"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
missed opportunity to declare yourself

“The Scrumudgeon”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

unjustly fired for refusing to change my team name from the "scrum guzzlers"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jenkins pipelayer reporting for duty

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm in the office. it sucks rear end and I'm still doing meetings on teams so what's the point

i had lunch with some coworkers I guess that was nice but it's nicer not going to the office

at least it's just a 10 minute bike ride

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just got an email that they moved our team event indoors due to bad weather [at the beach in san francisco who could have guessed???] so now I'm not going to the zoo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

just got an email that they moved our team event indoors due to bad weather [at the beach in san francisco who could have guessed???] so now I'm not going to the zoo

im at the zoo right now, it's fine

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

Like i'm looking at it from my back window, no rain, no ominous clouds. You're gettin rooked bad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

so happy to hear you made it to your family reunion

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i wish this was more prevalent than the slurry alternatives but in any event ty. i like this idiom a lot irl

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

thursday

also I'm not going solely because the event was moved indoors, I own hella goretex

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

i wish this was more prevalent than the slurry alternatives but in any event ty. i like this idiom a lot irl

the cool thing is that you can rook a gull and stay within an entirely bird-based theme

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cloks posted:

yeah in retrospect i should've started slinging resumes when we couldn't reliably complete the work in a two week sprint so the management solution was to make sprints three weeks

i was just on a call where the pm was unhappy with the work estimates we gave them saying that it'd have to be completed more quickly. i told them we'd need someone with actual experience with the tech to give anywhere close to an accurate estimate so they actually shouldn't even be depending on our estimates in the first place. they're now reaching to the old standbys we all know and love such as, 'ok how many people do you need' or 'if i can get your other projects deprioritized will it happen faster' etc etc

ugh

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

how will management be able to call themselves agile though??

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was just on a call where the pm was unhappy with the work estimates we gave them saying that it'd have to be completed more quickly. i told them we'd need someone with actual experience with the tech to give anywhere close to an accurate estimate so they actually shouldn't even be depending on our estimates in the first place. they're now reaching to the old standbys we all know and love such as, 'ok how many people do you need' or 'if i can get your other projects deprioritized will it happen faster' etc etc

ugh

Just give him a big book and say hire as many people as you can, I want you to read this by tomorrow

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

something about planning the next five sprints this morning broke me and i have an interview this afternoon, full remote

I've been at places that do bad agile but it's never been this bad, lmao

got the job, putting an end to this thrilling story

more money, defined responsibilities, less work - everything i was looking for

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Grats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cloks posted:

got the job, putting an end to this thrilling story

more money, defined responsibilities, less work - everything i was looking for
well played :yotj: