Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nessus posted:

I have had a moment of struggle with my own practice, paltry though it is. I had often been taking a nice five-ten minute sit while taking my blood pressure for long term monitoring, except that after a bad scare which was likely a mixture of anxiety and missing a single dose of the medicine I take, I have had real trouble getting back into a good mind state and bodily calm during these periods. I was able today to brute-force it a bit just by doing breathe in for four count, breathe out for four count, but I know that I had in a sense become dependent on these correlations.

What are your pro tips for getting a bit of sitting time in or do you just block out a chunk of time and make it a red line in your daily routine?

As for reading... this is dense stuff and the same chaotic mentality stuff that affected me from the above kept me from really digging in, but the thing that stood out to me from the four Rights that I got through in Heart was the analogy of watering a field and nurturing some seeds. It's a fruitful kind of analogy I thought, especially since it also handily explains why sometimes some things just don't have much appeal to some people or are easy to resist; their fields, so to speak, lack these seeds, or at least very many of them.

Firstly sorry you are going through what you are, and I hope it quickly rights itself and the storm eases.

When feeling well I make a point of setting my alarm for a half hour before I normally would to make the space for a sit. In the evening I ensure I get to bed early enough for another. My sleep gets the short end but I find I am needing less anyway.

Being sick, eh, I'm not worrying about it and am just trying to get well. Slowly I am too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

I have had a moment of struggle with my own practice, paltry though it is. I had often been taking a nice five-ten minute sit while taking my blood pressure for long term monitoring, except that after a bad scare which was likely a mixture of anxiety and missing a single dose of the medicine I take, I have had real trouble getting back into a good mind state and bodily calm during these periods. I was able today to brute-force it a bit just by doing breathe in for four count, breathe out for four count, but I know that I had in a sense become dependent on these correlations.

What are your pro tips for getting a bit of sitting time in or do you just block out a chunk of time and make it a red line in your daily routine?

As for reading... this is dense stuff and the same chaotic mentality stuff that affected me from the above kept me from really digging in, but the thing that stood out to me from the four Rights that I got through in Heart was the analogy of watering a field and nurturing some seeds. It's a fruitful kind of analogy I thought, especially since it also handily explains why sometimes some things just don't have much appeal to some people or are easy to resist; their fields, so to speak, lack these seeds, or at least very many of them.

I like that the dharma teachers I've encountered seem to understand that their role as a spiritual teacher is to both challenge the practitioner to grow but also to encourage them to treat themselves gently. A couple dharma talks I listened to recently talked about how people, like plants, experience season. It's not going to be helpful to expect the activity of summer when one is undergoing a winter. To have compassion for oneself and others also means not taking on more than one can, and that is going to change depending on circumstances.

If you're fortunate enough to be able to, what's been most helpful for me to is to ask for help from someone to maintain a practice of mindfulness, to sit or walk together in mindfulness either on a routine basis if possible or more impromptu if that's more appropriate. They don't even necessarily have to be a Buddhist practitioner, so long as they care about you and can recognize that you find a mindfulness practice helpful.

Ultimately, I think it is important to be compassionate with yourself. So much of this world is not conducive to mindfulness. It's either largely either ignorant of the practice, or it can even be hostile to it. I see why I've heard teachers from the Plum Village tradition call engaged Buddhism a community of resistance. So when that communal resource is not available to someone, to struggle with a practice is an understandable reaction in face of powerful headwinds and not a failure of the practitioner's character.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

ram dass in hell posted:

big fan of "Dropping Ashes on the Buddha" for some Korean styled Zen teaching. Always a caveat when recommending Seung Sahn, he apparently had consenting relationships with several of his students and some people don't like that. I still got a lot out of the book, though. Actually, I got less than nothing out of it.

Thank you for the recommendation. I've been really appreciating this book. I didn't really understand how koan study could lead to greater awareness compared to things like sitting meditation, but now that I'm reading this book it's become perfectly clear to me. Just the act of reading and considering his dialogues is a form of meditation.

His idea about zen being a 360 degree circle with four points on it (dualistic thinking at 0, nondualistic thinking at 90, impermanence at 180, co-arising at 270, and full awakening at 360 again, basically) is really elucidating. I also was really surprised by his explanation of koans. He says something like, "in Chinese medicine, if you have a hot disease, you cure it with hot medicine. Dharma talks and koans exist because so many people having a disease of words and thoughts, so we make a words-and-thoughts cure."

KATZ!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Cephas posted:

Thank you for the recommendation. I've been really appreciating this book. I didn't really understand how koan study could lead to greater awareness compared to things like sitting meditation, but now that I'm reading this book it's become perfectly clear to me. Just the act of reading and considering his dialogues is a form of meditation.

His idea about zen being a 360 degree circle with four points on it (dualistic thinking at 0, nondualistic thinking at 90, impermanence at 180, co-arising at 270, and full awakening at 360 again, basically) is really elucidating. I also was really surprised by his explanation of koans. He says something like, "in Chinese medicine, if you have a hot disease, you cure it with hot medicine. Dharma talks and koans exist because so many people having a disease of words and thoughts, so we make a words-and-thoughts cure."

KATZ!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Same thing for me, a lot of very clarifying stuff in there. I especially like the repeated use of "A quarter is twenty-five cents" :hai:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

finished Chapter 18, on the Three Dharma Seals. There is just a ton of information here. Its pretty heavy but I feel like I am just on the cusp of getting the point of not practice, but its still a bit distant. Still, the repeating themes is making this read help integrate a lot of the teachings well.

Book good

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's been a minute, and I hope you're all having a happy Easter in whatever form that takes (voted chocolate rabbit). Hopefully my own issues will clear up further and I will be able to get back to the practice more readily.

I have picked up the Heart again and TNH has actually said something that I, at least conditionally, have trouble agreeing with; which is to say, asserting that you cannot have happiness without suffering.

Now, the analogies he draws are about deriving happiness from the contrast with your recent negative experiences and I certainly can see the point here, but this seems like a strange sort of comment, even if it might be a worthwhile vehicle. It stood out to me, at least; what do you all think of the idea?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

The way I interpret this is that you can't have shade without light. The term doesn't have any meaning otherwise. So if there were no suffering there would be no opposite-of-suffering, there would just be some infinite neutral state of being.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah I thought it was a more nuanced "true happiness", i.e., enlightenment, using his metaphor "you can't have a lotus without the mud".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

for fucks sake posted:

The way I interpret this is that you can't have shade without light. The term doesn't have any meaning otherwise. So if there were no suffering there would be no opposite-of-suffering, there would just be some infinite neutral state of being.

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah I thought it was a more nuanced "true happiness", i.e., enlightenment, using his metaphor "you can't have a lotus without the mud".
This makes sense, it just seemed like a sort of weird, pro-suffering angle to take. The nuance which has been very meaningful for me with the dharma is that suffering is inevitable in this life, but it can be reduced and your ability to respond and handle it can increase enormously, as opposed to suffering being some sort of intrinsic good.

I will report more about this after I overcome the blandishments of Mara and read much further :v:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

From chapter 19, the Three Doors of Liberation

quote:

These twenty-four hours are a precious gift, a gift we can only receive fully when we have opened the Third Door of Liberation, aimlessness. If we think we have twenty-four hours to achieve a certain purpose, today will become a means to attain an end. The moment of chopping wood and carrying water is the moment of happiness. We do not need to wait for these chores to be done to be happy. To have happiness in this moment is the spirit of aimlessness. Otherwise, we will run in circles for the rest of our life. We have everything we need to make the present moment the happiest in our life, even if we have a cold or a headache. We don’t have to wait until we get over our cold to be happy. Having a cold is a part of life.

On the topic of present conversation and also my earlier question about practice while being sick.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

More

quote:

Someone asked me, “Aren’t you worried about the state of the world?” I allowed myself to breathe and then I said, “What is most important is not to allow your anxiety about what happens in the world to fill your heart. If your heart is filled with anxiety, you will get sick, and you will not be able to help.” There are wars — big and small — in many places, and that can cause us to lose our peace. Anxiety is the illness of our age. We worry about ourselves, our family, our friends, our work, and the state of the world. If we allow worry to fill our hearts, sooner or later we will get sick. Yes, there is tremendous suffering all over the world, but knowing this need not paralyze us. If we practice mindful breathing, mindful walking, mindful sitting, and working in mindfulness, we try our best to help, and we can have peace in our heart. Worrying does not accomplish anything. Even if you worry twenty times more, it will not change the situation of the world. In fact, your anxiety will only make things worse. Even though things are not as we would like, we can still be content, knowing we are trying our best and will continue to do so. If we don’t know how to breathe, smile, and live every moment of our life deeply, we will never be able to help anyone. I am happy in the present moment. I do not ask for anything else. I do not expect any additional happiness or conditions that will bring about more happiness. The most important practice is aimlessness, not running after things, not grasping.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 17, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't posted in a little while but I have SO ENJOYED the last several hundred posts and gained a lot of insight from them. Thank you!

2022 is shaping up to be a weird, and very good year for Lucky Cat as I get more comfortable with the idea of who I actually am and not what I think people, coworkers, books, the media, the sangha, or whoever thinks I ought to be (or they don't think it, but I do feel it).

For about a year I've been struggling to find ways to connect all of my beliefs and practices. Am I a Buddhist? Am I a Hindu? Is it even worth labeling, and does the lack of a label prohibit me from being in any certain community and feeling identified with it?

In 2014 I found Thich Nhat Hanh after I dropped out of college and started working at a "camping store, but for hippies." Between equipping people for through-hiking and mud treks in the rainforest, I wandered to our book department which has a spiritual & "steward of the earth" slant. Everything from books on how to keep your bees happy to The Other Shore, a translation of the Heart Sutra by TNH. This is where I began and after reading and failing to understand large swaths of it I dug deeper because I felt like there was something to learn from here. I read more books by TNH, some Pema Chodron, and others I wish I could remember that talked about mindfulness, meditation, Buddhism, death and dying, and spirituality in general (sometimes even eye-roll stuff that came with dubious testimonials like "after reading this book, I was able to align my chakras!!" and came packaged with a selenite crystal).

The path of mindfulness provided a means to control my crippling anxiety, and for me, the Thien way of mindfulness made the most sense. Listening to dharma talks by not just TNH but other teachers of the Order of Interbeing calmed me and I felt armed me with tools to throw off the shackles of my mental illness. I had always had Wrong View, to the point where I had physically ill reactions to my ingrained habit of Wrong View.

I started tuining in to Plum Village recordings and live sessions, dharma talks, Internet posts, and even stuff they would mail me. I was drawn in enough that I considered myself to be part of the community. I still do and I doubt this connection will ever fade.

My wife had a penchant for discussions on Death and Dying, as an LMSW who minored in gerontology we talked about death daily. I was able to tie my new-found Buddhist views into this of "no birth, no death" and Thay's famous line "a cloud never dies" to where I felt like I became really comfortable thinking about it and discussing it. Right as our hippie camp store was getting ready to shudder it's doors for good, I took a leap of faith in a career I thought I had no chance in (especially being a college dropout with only retail experience). I applied to be a licensed broker at one of the largest brokerage firms in the world. They hired me- I got licensed, promoted, then promoted into leadership, and got my supervisory licenses where I now stand. I would NEVER have accomplished even 1% of that if I had never taken control of my anxiety. I think it's also worth noting I am also medicated- I don't want to diminish the power and importance of proper diagnosis and medication by a trained physician, and also therapy. Holy poo poo therapy is lovely. Like the Three Jewels, I consider my personal jewels to be: medicine, therapy, and mindfulness.

Back to death: on Netflix was a documentary film with Ram Dass called "Ram Dass, Going Home." My elderly coworker who was a Vietnam draft dodger, connosieur of psychedelics, Dead-head and fan of Ram Dass, told me I should watch it given my interest in death. I watched it and felt a connection like I did that first time reading the Heart Sutra.

OK, time to research Ram Dass. So I began listening to his talks on YouTube and reading his books. A lot of, if not all of, what he had to say vibed perfectly with our practice of Zen. If you've ever heard Ram Dass speak or read any of his books, you'll know he can't go 5 minutes without bringing up Neem Karoli Baba, or Maharajji as he is known to his devotees. Who was Maharajji, what was a guru, and could these views integrate with my own? Ram Dass was so pleasant, happy, and seemed like he had it figured out and I thought to myself "I want to be exactly like Ram Dass when I'm 80 and dying." Looking into Neem Karoli Baba started the next leg of my journey.

I wasn't really comfortable with Ram, or Krishna, or Vishnu: and I also didn't know they were all the same being. I also didn't know that a large swathe of Hindu believe that the One Great Consciousness, who some call Krishna, or Brahman, or God, is me. There is no separate- it's all One. Much like in Buddhism, there is no separate self. And the kirtan fuckin kicked rear end and made me feel spiritual as all hell. I did always feel like TNH's flavor of Buddhism was a little sterile. In a way I appreciated it though. I read in one of his books that Zen and his particular brand was the Buddhism of Buddhism and Zen was getting back to the simple truth and expelling all of the grand fluff and religion that had pulled it back down. As someone born Catholic and used to the grandiose of religion as a child, this left me a little disappointed but the truth wasn't made to fit me.

Back to Hinduism: I saw a picture of Maharajji and my heart almost stopped. I couldn't figure out what it was. Outwardly he looked like a big slightly overweight Indian dude that liked plaid blankets and to be surrounded by white dudes in the 60s. Then I found a recording of him saying one thing: Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram and he was in ecstasy.

Thus began my second belief system. Bhakti Yoga, or the yoga of devotion and of the heart, the devotion to the names of God, the devotion to Oneself, the One, Ram.

I have been able to swoop in and out of chanting the name of Ram for hours, driving to work belting out Hare Krishna, reciting the Hanuman Chalisa daily, all while retaining the practice of Zen cultivated by my discovery of TNH.

If I dig really deep, there are conflicts between the two. That's probably obvious to everyone reading this. But the way I fell into them it is less obvious to me. For one- one believes in soul and the other doesn't. I think that's rather unimportant to me personally. The view of "no seperate self" and LOVE penetrates both thoroughly and I am quite happy to be a Zen practicing Hindu living in the Bible Belt. My statue of Hanuman sits feet away from a statue of the sitting Buddha, and I sit in front of them- sometimes in silence and sometimes chanting Ram Ram Ram Ram but I do so with a smile and closed eyes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Randomly struggling with meditation this past week. Mantra chanting has helped, but my mind drifts into fully-formed thought trains that are halfway to their destination before I remember to jump off.

Not letting it bog me down, I'll keep at it, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Thank you for sharing your story, LuckyCat. FWIW in my meaningless estimation there is no contradiction there at all; the concept of emptiness is itself empty and those who insist in a belief in no-self are a little too nihilistic for my tastes. There is no-self, and the name of this no-self is the Self, or Ram or any of its other names. Or, there is the Self, and the name of this Self is no-self. Every seeming contradiction is just guiding us towards nonduality as its resolution, in my experience. If it seems like contradiction, I investigate "seems like".

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The self, no-self, self trip reminds me of the ox herding series from Zen. Near the end, after bring the ox home, there is 1 blank panel, then the next panel the world is back, then the last panel is returning to society.

The path doesn't stop at emptiness. That would just be nihilism. And that isn't much healthier than clinging to some notion of an eternal individual self.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

Thank you for sharing your story, LuckyCat. FWIW in my meaningless estimation there is no contradiction there at all; the concept of emptiness is itself empty and those who insist in a belief in no-self are a little too nihilistic for my tastes. There is no-self, and the name of this no-self is the Self, or Ram or any of its other names. Or, there is the Self, and the name of this Self is no-self. Every seeming contradiction is just guiding us towards nonduality as its resolution, in my experience. If it seems like contradiction, I investigate "seems like".
My take is that there are individuals, and what we could call souls, on a pragmatic basis; even if the underlying truth is different. Fundamentally the point of practice is to reach towards liberation from suffering, so in a certain sense it is a moot point; if we walk the bodhisattva's path or practice diligently we will surely find out the more advanced answers in time, and there may be things which are genuinely hard or impossible for people in this situation of ours to fully comprehend.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

My take is that there are individuals, and what we could call souls, on a pragmatic basis; even if the underlying truth is different. Fundamentally the point of practice is to reach towards liberation from suffering, so in a certain sense it is a moot point; if we walk the bodhisattva's path or practice diligently we will surely find out the more advanced answers in time, and there may be things which are genuinely hard or impossible for people in this situation of ours to fully comprehend.

99% agree. there is no conceptual understanding based on words and ideas and beliefs that approaches experiential knowing; that's one reason why in many cases it's a million times better to chant a sutra than to read one. the point of practice is the actualization of the theoretical. the old cliche, "in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is". I think it's in the teachings of Huang Po, probably a lot of other places as well, the example of developing a complex understanding of chemistry and physics and the interactions of water molecules and thermodynamics and farenheit, celcius, and kelvin scales to ascertain the temperature of a glass of water - versus the act of taking a sip and knowing instantly for yourself whether it's cool or hot water.

As you said, comprehension is not the goal. You don't need to be an astronomer or nuclear physicist to look at a sunset and instantaneously experience awe and reverence at the natural beauty on display. My western academia mind had a very difficult time accepting this but eventually it became extremely funny to me how hard I once fought against the idea. Comprehension is not the goal, understanding is not the goal. As you said, it's liberation. Bodhidharma called it "the freedom that arises from seeing oneself". That's drinking from one's own cup of interiority and experiencing the pervasiveness of buddha-nature, not settling on a once-and-for-all conceptual argument for the existence of a soul.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

99% agree. there is no conceptual understanding based on words and ideas and beliefs that approaches experiential knowing; that's one reason why in many cases it's a million times better to chant a sutra than to read one. the point of practice is the actualization of the theoretical. the old cliche, "in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is". I think it's in the teachings of Huang Po, probably a lot of other places as well, the example of developing a complex understanding of chemistry and physics and the interactions of water molecules and thermodynamics and farenheit, celcius, and kelvin scales to ascertain the temperature of a glass of water - versus the act of taking a sip and knowing instantly for yourself whether it's cool or hot water.

As you said, comprehension is not the goal. You don't need to be an astronomer or nuclear physicist to look at a sunset and instantaneously experience awe and reverence at the natural beauty on display. My western academia mind had a very difficult time accepting this but eventually it became extremely funny to me how hard I once fought against the idea. Comprehension is not the goal, understanding is not the goal. As you said, it's liberation. Bodhidharma called it "the freedom that arises from seeing oneself". That's drinking from one's own cup of interiority and experiencing the pervasiveness of buddha-nature, not settling on a once-and-for-all conceptual argument for the existence of a soul.
I think studying the philosophy and soteriology and stuff has value, in the sense that it will eventually come up in some form and there are 84,000 doors for a reason: I have legitimately gotten some of the benefits just from reading up on that stuff, studying it and understanding it. It will bear fruit either later in this life or in a next one. I think that if the point were things like the nuances on whether the universe is finite or infinite, if these were actually important-- Shakyamuni would have said so, specifically.

And I do think there are benefits when you have people who are, for instance, grasping onto the concept of the soul as some absolute to which their ego clings. There may have been more of this in the religious landscape of the time, but even now I am sure millions of people are in terror for The Fate of their Soul and the prospect of eternal annihilation, or worse, eternal torment, and so speaking against certain aspects of the concept as wrong views can have benefit here.

But much of this is my own limited understanding as a big ol' nerd still walking up the foothills.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The self, no-self, self trip reminds me of the ox herding series from Zen. Near the end, after bring the ox home, there is 1 blank panel, then the next panel the world is back, then the last panel is returning to society.

The path doesn't stop at emptiness. That would just be nihilism. And that isn't much healthier than clinging to some notion of an eternal individual self.

emptiness is not nothingness. if my cup is empty it does not not exist. it exists perfectly well it simply doesn't have something i think should be there but is ultimately the product of nothing more than my beliefs of how things should be rather than what is. we think of empty as being as a void but it is in fact created not just from lack of center but from presence of the edges which we neglect due to a mental fixation on the center and whether its there or not there.

emptiness is nothingness is wrongview created by our unenlightened fixation on the center and self-centeredness. the emptiness of the cup is created from the edges. the subject, which exists, but has no self is likewise created by their surroundings and environment. these surroundings and environment are likewise empty and created by their edges like a honeycomb that stretches infinitely in all directions.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just read being and nothingness, it'll mostly get you where you need to go for nothingness

if you're not up for that find some excerpts from an intro to existentialism text. def read about pierre in the cafe, hiding in transcendence/facticity, etc. but read the whole thing it's good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

alternately you can read posts by my pal b. f. dog. but cmon everybody should read sartre and it's not near as fun to cite "a post on a dead forum" at your book club or a party or whatever

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Gampopa said: those who believe this have an essential nature are stupid, like cattle; those who believe in nihilism are even more stupid.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
for all of zen's dumb esoteric, self-indulgent answering-a-riddle-with-a-riddle stuff, one of the more poignant zen stories that always sticks with me is just about a surgeon getting repeatedly turned away from a monastery that he kept trying to join because the abbot thought that his day job was more explicitly dharma than anything he might learn in a monastery

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've been putting on Tibetan chants while doing sitting meditation and wow, those frequencies get into some crazy parts of your inner ear and head

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

for all of zen's dumb esoteric, self-indulgent answering-a-riddle-with-a-riddle stuff, one of the more poignant zen stories that always sticks with me is just about a surgeon getting repeatedly turned away from a monastery that he kept trying to join because the abbot thought that his day job was more explicitly dharma than anything he might learn in a monastery
Did the surgeon later get into a car accident, from which he recovered at the cost of the loss of his fine dexterity, at which point he was admitted to the monastery? Or am I thinking of another story?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nessus posted:

Did the surgeon later get into a car accident, from which he recovered at the cost of the loss of his fine dexterity, at which point he was admitted to the monastery? Or am I thinking of another story?

No, but yeah basically. There likely are other version out there.

quote:

17. Stingy in Teaching
A young physician in Tokyo named Kusuda met a college friend who had been studying Zen. The young doctor asked
him what Zen was.

'I cannot tell you what it is,' the friend replied, 'but one thing is certain. If you understand Zen, you will not be afraid to
die.'

That's fine: said Kusuda. “I will try it. Where can I find a teacher?'

'Go to the master Nan-in,' the friend told him.

So Kusuda went to call on Nan-in. He carried a dagger nine and a half inches long to determine whether or not the
teacher himself was afraid to die.

When Nan-in saw Kusuda he exclaimed: 'Hello, friend. How are you? We haven't seen each other for a long time!'

This perplexed Kusuda, who replied: 'We have never met before.'

‘That’s right,' answered Nan-in. I mistook you for another physician who is receiving instruction here.'

With such a beginning, Kusuda lost his chance to test the master, so reluctantly be asked if he might receive Zen
instruction.

Nan-in said: 'Zen is not a difficult task. If you are a physician, treat your patients with kindness. That is Zen.'

Kusuda visited Nan-in three times. Each time Nan-in told him the same thing.' A physician should not waste time around
here. Go home and take care of your patients.'

It was not yet clear to Kusuda how such teaching could remove the fear of death. So on his fourth visit he complained:
'My friend told me when one learns Zen one loses his fear of death. Each time I come here all you tell me is to take care
of my patients. I know that much. If that is your so-called Zen, I am not going to visit you any more.'

Nan-in smiled and patted the doctor. ‘I have been too strict with you. Let me give you a koan.' He presented Kusuda with
Joshu’s Mu to work over, which is the first mind-enlightening problem in the book called The Gateless Gate.

Kusuda pondered this problem of Mu (No-thing) for two years. At length he thought he had reached certainty of mind.
But his teacher commented: "You are not in yet.'

Kusuda continued in concentration for another year and a half. His mind became placid. Problems dissolved. No-thing
became the truth. He served his patients well and, without even knowing it, he was free from concern over life and death.

Then when he visited Nan-in his old teacher just smiled.

(from Zen Bones)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 24, 2022

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

quote:

One afternoon a student said "Roshi, I don't really understand what's going on. I mean, we sit in zazen and we gassho to each other and everything, and Felicia got enlightened when the bottom fell out of her water-bucket, and Todd got enlightened when you popped him one with your staff, and people work on koans and get enlightened, but I've been doing this for two years now, and the koans don't make any sense, and I don't feel enlightened at all! Can you just tell me what's going on?"

"Well you see," Roshi replied, "for most people, and especially for most educated people like you and I, what we perceive and experience is heavily mediated, through language and concepts that are deeply ingrained in our ways of thinking and feeling. Our objective here is to induce in ourselves and in each other a psychological state that involves the unmediated experience of the world, because we believe that that state has certain desirable properties. It's impossible in general to reach that state through any particular form or method, since forms and methods are themselves examples of the mediators that we are trying to avoid. So we employ a variety of ad hoc means, some linguistic like koans and some non-linguistic like zazen, in hopes that for any given student one or more of our methods will, in whatever way, engender the condition of non-mediated experience that is our goal. And since even thinking in terms of mediators and goals tends to reinforce our undesirable dependency on concepts, we actively discourage exactly this kind of analytical discourse."

And the student was enlightened.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Zen rules. Koans are the original shitposting.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

It does

And so does mindfulness meditation. It's amazing how centering and invigorating it is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

is this end state the teacher talking about a non-dual experience?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

echinopsis posted:

is this end state the teacher talking about a non-dual experience?

*responds with him noble silence at you*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*raises his finger*

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

Also, because it often comes up, there is a general consensus across all schools that some people should not meditate. This has become a problem since the West has embraced mindfulness as the magic bullet to solve the problem of everyone being miserable under capitalism. People with very bad anxiety and depression should generally not meditate. Meditation involves engaging with your mind very directly, and people with anxiety and depression can often end up reinforcing those depression thoughts or anxiety thoughts rather than ameliorating them. Some people can meditate mindfully and recognize that their depression or anxiety has no basis and that those thoughts are just transient things, but usually only people who have good karma for meditation (we'd say from past lives of practice, but who cares about that) can meditate away a depression. Most people end up just seeing the depression thoughts and habituating them more strongly because they get very distracted by the self-loathing and can't quite get to the root of the thought, or hell, some will even get worse ("I can't believe I can't see the nature of my mind! I'm so loving stupid and useless).

So don't meditate if you have a depression unless you have a good teacher who can tell you when to stop. For Tibetan Buddhists if there is major discouragement like that we generally recommend doing purification practices and focusing on ritual-y stuff rather than doing a lot of meditation if you are prone to those kinds of things; focusing on concrete stuff and not spending so much time "in one's head."

That's interesting. Especially given that people who have anxiety and depression would, I think, stand to gain the most from meditation.

I don't know if I "officially" suffer from anxiety or depression, but I'm about to start therapy which will hopefully give me a better idea. I do have some of the symptoms for sure though. Nevertheless I'd like to try meditation. What's the best way to get started? I've tried "meditating" as I understand it, meaning "clearing my mind" and focusing on breathing and it's basically impossible. I'm too easily distracted which is of course the problem to begin with.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Don't think of it as striving for a result. Think of it as engaging in a practice. Some days are going to be harder than others. But you will get better at it if you put in the effort. And starting from scratch is always hard. It takes time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That's interesting. Especially given that people who have anxiety and depression would, I think, stand to gain the most from meditation.

I don't know if I "officially" suffer from anxiety or depression, but I'm about to start therapy which will hopefully give me a better idea. I do have some of the symptoms for sure though. Nevertheless I'd like to try meditation. What's the best way to get started? I've tried "meditating" as I understand it, meaning "clearing my mind" and focusing on breathing and it's basically impossible. I'm too easily distracted which is of course the problem to begin with.
You could try chanting a mantra, which can help you by giving you something to focus on instead of all the other stuff. It doesn't have to be shouted out, you can just say it aloud. You can also recite it mentally but I think saying it aloud is more valuable.

Another thing to do is to try to identify what you are thinking as thoughts - not that you are engaging with them, but that in this few minutes of time, you are striving for stillness. So if you have a thought, you sort of put your mental hand on it a little, tag it 'thought,' and then bring your hand back. The analogy here is to watching a stream flow by or clouds moving in the sky.

Finally - keep at it - but be gentle with yourself, because this is like exercising a muscle that you barely knew existed. Of course you will not be achieving jnanas or something by three weeks in! There is no time-table! But if you keep at it, you will improve; while I think there are people who have neurological issues which prevent meditation as we understand it, I think that they are very rare.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I agree with the mantra selection. I poo-pooed it for far too long but it really gives you something to focus the mind on so you can't sweep around for other thoughts to engage with.

I chose OM Shanti Shanti Shanti because I like peace and the simplicity of trebling a concept like that. There's a few pretty good songs and chants I found for that mantra so I've listened to those and now I can call on them when I'm getting distracted, it's nice to have a little song of peace inside my brain.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also I keep rocking and swaying like crazy during meditation, eventually realize I'm doing it, bring myself to stillness... And then before I know it I'm rocking or staying again. I guess I'll just do it!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

try setting a short and simple "return to meditation" phrase. if you notice your mind wandering do your mental bell chime, fix your posture, start over. doesn't matter if it's only a second or not its not a big deal. "Return!" take a breath, start again. Over time this might also help you learn to recognize your thoughts and how to interrupt streams of thought which is a helpful skill if you're battling depression and anxiety.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've tried "meditating" as I understand it, meaning "clearing my mind" and focusing on breathing and it's basically impossible. I'm too easily distracted which is of course the problem to begin with.

That's why it's called practice. It's really, really hard. I've been meditating for about a year and on my best days I get maybe 30 seconds in a row of staying focused on the object of meditation (breath, mantra, a sound, physical sensation, whatever.) What I am getting better at is noticing that my mind has wandered and then placing it back on the object. A good session for me isn't having no distracting thoughts, it's being aware of my distracting thoughts almost as quickly as they come and letting them go by rather than fixating on one and following it.

If you're doing breath meditation two things have helped me: first, try to narrow your focus on where ever you feel the breath the most. For me that's my abdomen rising and falling. Second, I think this might be a training wheels thing but I like to count breaths. I count 1 on the in breath and 1 on the out breath, then 2, then 3 all the way up to 10, then back down to 1.

I am really new to this so someone more experienced might come along with better advice or even advice that contradicts mine. I'm definitely no master, this is just my noob experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

try setting a short and simple "return to meditation" phrase. if you notice your mind wandering do your mental bell chime, fix your posture, start over. doesn't matter if it's only a second or not its not a big deal. "Return!" take a breath, start again. Over time this might also help you learn to recognize your thoughts and how to interrupt streams of thought which is a helpful skill if you're battling depression and anxiety.

Thomas Cleary the somehow both conventional and controversial translator wrote a piece about beginning Koan practice. He used the following Koan:

Student: Do dogs have Buddha Nature?
Teacher: No.

He said to look past the fact that the teacher just taught an apparent “heresy.” Instead, he said, whenever you start to think of the Koan discursively say no.

I started doing that exercise before I was a Catholic and it helped a lot with intrusive thoughts especially with concern to my suicidal intrusive thoughts. The thoughts arise, my brain begins to entertain them, and I say no. For me, now, no means I’ve started out on the wrong foot and places me back where I was before the intrusion.